PDA

View Full Version : subforum for hypothetical matchups

tnnstalkr
Dec 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
"Peak' threads and other sorts of hypothetical subjects are all the rage lately, but the torrent of them suggests that they should have a separate area for those interested in that sort of thing. It becomes quite a challenge or rather annoying to have to sift through all the sandbox stuff to find those threads that deal with reality.:(

iGOAT
Dec 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I sorta agree :unsure: the thing is, I think they'll be gone by the time the season starts

James
Dec 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I am sure that at the start of the new season, these threads will have reached their peak. Off season is mostly like this and creativity is not everyone's best feature apparently. Still they draw an audience by the looks of it.

Kart
Dec 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM
If people stopped responding to them, they'd sink without a trace ...

*JR*
Dec 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM
If people stopped responding to them, they'd sink without a trace ...
Why not accept that they're started and posted in because a fair # of posters are indeed interested (I'm not unless one of my two "hate-on players" is involved) :p and let the board capitalize on the opportunity they present? (Fantasy leagues in major US team sports, where participants "draft" squads and the players' stats get aggregated are quite popular.)

Kart
Dec 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Make me a proposal and I'll consider it.

We already have a Games Forum.

-Sonic-
Dec 30th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Why not accept that they're started and posted in because a fair # of posters are indeed interested (I'm not unless one of my two "hate-on players" is involved) :p and let the board capitalize on the opportunity they present? (Fantasy leagues in major US team sports, where participants "draft" squads and the players' stats get aggregated are quite popular.)

Because of what you said - You only go in there to hate on players. As do others. There are plenty of arguments going on in them, as well as threads being made with the sole purpose to bash.

Also many of them are blatent trolling and have been dealt with.

tnnstalkr
Dec 31st, 2008, 12:45 AM
A subforum can serve as a quasi-deletion. If there is a bunch of stuff with a common theme, only marginally constructive but not clearly in violation of any guideline, cluttering the general discussion area, you just move it to the appropriate subforum. I am going to guess that's exactly how a number of the other subforums got created. Nobody has any complaint about a deletion but might be miffed at losing the bandwidth of the main forum. That would be just too bad, because they were abusing the general forum trying to get attention. It could also be totally innocent.

This is small potatoes compared to those who compulsively have discussions which compare former players, especially their "GOAT", to current players. To me, the general area should be about the realities of the current tours and current players. We don't need constant squabbles about no one living up to the standard set by some player who is long gone, and no fair H2H possible. Comparing former players to current players sounds like a reasonable concept, until you encounter how obsessive some people are with it and how annoying it becomes for those who don't care to hear how their current favorite will never measure up to someone long since retired, perhaps before their interest in following the sport.

I suggest a "Fantasy Match Ups" subforum, which would include former players versus current players. It would also include "peak" match ups or any hypothetical pairing one could imagine.