PDA

View Full Version : How to change Players Forum Name if big majority of fans want that?

Cp6uja
Dec 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM
We have problem with Ana Ivanovic forum name. Ana got her own forum here in 2006 and very soon that forum get "Beauty and her Beasts" name. Nobody complain about that in start because Ana is still in that time just average TOP20 player more known b/c her looks than results. She is "Forum Darling" in that time, popular and nobody "hate" her, but on other hand number of WTAW members which is Ana #1 favorite player is not so big because she is still in deep shadow of other elite WTA players (in terms of tennis achievements) so "Beasts" name for our small and loyal group of Ana supporters seems very funny and good choice in that time (2006).

But already next season (2007) things is totally changed. Ana become an elite WTA player reach TOP5 and careers first GS final, many titles...etc... and "Beauty and her Beasts" become outdated. "Beauty" become useless term when "Ana" become global recognized worlds brand and when her fan basis become one of largest here "Beasts" also become pointless and no more charming name of small group of fANAtics. In 2008 Ana become more popular (real celebrity), reach #1 spot, GS title and another final... etc... so "Beauty and her Beasts" become even more outdated name for her forum here.

NAME CHANGE PROCESS

- No big surprise when in first quarter of this season at GM poll "Worse names for Player Forums?" (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=332839&highlight=names) current name of Ana Ivanovic forum ("Beauty and her Beasts") won by far like WTAWorld/TennisForum worse forums name of all time. GM is not perfect source about that b/c many biased members and Ana haters, but that shocking poll result give me idea to check popularity of current name at Ana subforum here.

- In August when Ana have pause b/c that injury i open "Do you think we should get a name change for this forum?" (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=352526) where just 9 voters (26.4%) give "NO" answer, just 2 voters (5.9%) "NOT SURE" and much more votes reach "YES" answer (23v, 67.7%) which support name change.

- Next period of Ana inactivity started in november so i started 15 days long nomination process (discussion thread) where since start two options have by far biggest support - "Ajde Ana!" and "Ana is Love" so in december i'm open "AJDE ANA!" or "ANA IS LOVE" - Final Voting for Ana's Forum New Name (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=363714) poll which is after one week of voting (time deadline) finished TIED (both options reach 20 votes each and 3rd "Strongly against both" option reach 9 votes).

- Moderator "Dexter" and two other fans which all three is from clean minority which still support current (unpopular and outdated) name try to promote and present strange (and bizzare) theory that tied result between this two options dont means that both options have similar support, but that both this options is not good enough for new forums name!? On other hand i simple open new Tie-Break voting Poll where "Ajde Ana!" beat "Ana is Love". But instead to officially ask from TennisForum administration forums name change request, b/c that late requests i open today new "SUPERFINAL" Poll between current name and option which win whole nomination process (Ajde Ana!). But Superfinal Poll (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=364437) is closed by "Dexter" moderator after about just 1 hour (original time-deadline for this poll is 7 days).

Ana Ivanovic forum name change request:
Current name (Beauty and her Beasts) is without doubt outdated and very unpopular between members which visiting Ana's forum and vote in all this polls (despite fact what means about that only moderator from "Serbian Sensation"), and like we see from results of that GM Poll current name is for all other members of TennisForum perfect example of bad name for some players forum, so "Beauty and her Beast" must be changed immediately!
Here is three possible scenarios:

1) to be changed with "Ajde Ana!" option which wins nominations process.
2) to be changed with "Ana Ivanovic" till we dont have consensus about new/old name
3) to reopen again Superfinal poll between "Ajde Ana!" and "Beauty and her Beasts" and follow final results of that poll.

James
Dec 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM
Having read the threads on that topic, one can't help but conclude that opinions differ on whether or not the forum's name should be changed. Find a name the majority feels it should change to and then come back again.

Cp6uja
Dec 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Having read the threads on that topic, one can't help but conclude that opinions differ on whether or not the forum's name should be changed. Find a name the majority feels it should change to and then come back again.My OP is litle bit too long b/c i try to present all important facts and dates related to this subject, so You maybe miss detail that todays Superfinal Poll between current "Beauty and her Beasts" name and option which have biggest support during nomination process (Ajde Ana!) is closed by one moderator after just 1-2 hours!?

James
Dec 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM
I have followed the discussion, so I did not miss that. Point remains that while the first poll suggests people want a new name, further polls do not give a clear preference for a new name. People seem to suggest to leave it as it is for now. Starting one poll after another may not help that fact either.

Cp6uja
Dec 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
I have followed the discussion, so I did not miss that. Point remains that while the first poll suggests people want a new name, further polls do not give a clear preference for a new name. People seem to suggest to leave it as it is for now. Starting one poll after another may not help that fact either.Only thing which is clean from all that polls is that current "Beauty and her Beasts" name of Ana Ivanovic subforum is extremely unpopular even between visitors of that forum.

If in that TIED final ("Ajde Ana!" vs "Ana is Love") we have for example 9 votes to each and 20 for "against both" option i will agree with you that people is not happy with new names options, but with 20 vs 20 (with 9 "against both") we simple have tight battle which need tie-break for final decision. "Ajde Ana!" dont have much bigger support than "Ana is Love" for sure, but why not check how big is support for that option in comparation with current "Beauty and her Beasts" which is crucial question right now???

BTW I dont understand what it means "Starting one poll after another may not help that fact either" from Your answer if it is clean that todays SUPERFINAL poll between "Ajde Ana!" and "Beauty and her Beasts" will be last for sure (old name will stay or changed)... Poll opened in players forum is most fair option for sure and much more "democratic" way than will of one moderator (Dexter for example) is more important than opinion of majority Ivanovic's subforum visitors.

Status Quo is worst scenario option (Beauty and her Beasts to stay despite obvious unpopularity) so why not compromise solution - just Ana Ivanovic till we dont have consensus about Ivanovic subforum name change?

James
Dec 21st, 2008, 06:51 PM
I would concentrate on what the users of the forum think, not the visitors or her haters.

And I would advise that you also listen to what your other forum members say.

If you reach an agreement with them, come back, and the name can be changed. For now, it can be left as it is. Don't think it would be good to go for the compromise you suggest.

Scotso
Dec 31st, 2008, 11:31 AM
"Ana is Love"?! I'm a fan, granted I don't post in player forums much, but I am one.

I don't see how 22 people think "Ana is Love" is better than the current one. :tape: Sorry, but it's pretty ridiculous for a forum name on a tennis board.

hellas719
Dec 31st, 2008, 10:11 PM
I think that Tennis Romania could be changed to "Romanian Racqueteers". Maybe Tennis Hungaria to "Hungarian Hitters"? I'm not good with coming up with names, but I'm sure people can think of better names, as we have many creative members here on TF.

James
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:21 AM
I think that Tennis Romania could be changed to "Romanian Racqueteers". Maybe Tennis Hungaria to "Hungarian Hitters"? I'm not good with coming up with names, but I'm sure people can think of better names, as we have many creative members here on TF.

Discuss it within those forums and if the majority of posters there likes it, the name can be changed.

Cp6uja
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:42 AM
"Ana is Love"?! I'm a fan, granted I don't post in player forums much, but I am one.

I don't see how 22 people think "Ana is Love" is better than the current one. :tape: Sorry, but it's pretty ridiculous for a forum name on a tennis board.I'm pretty sure that dominant opinion by Ana fans is that any new name which include "Ana" part (if not anti-Ana offensive) is better option than current "Beauty and her Beasts". Current name much more suits to other "out of TOP15" WTA players which is more known b/c theirs look like for example Kirilenko or Domachowska...etc... and Ana is also case like that in 2006 when she got her own subforum - but not anymore (she is already former #1 and slam winner). Also "Ana" is right now WTA "brandname" and in 2006 when You say just Ana many tennis fans still more thinking about Anna (Kournikova) than Ivanovic. Also very big problem with current "outdated" name is fact that any of Ana female fans here dont "find" herself in that name (they must be not only lesbian, but also very ugly :p to identify with "Beast" character from famous fairy tale) and belive or not over 40% Ana's declared fans (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=339860) here is girls!

@ James
Our moderator blocked Name-Change procedure, but if we still not ready for new name, also no any reasons to stay old name which is very unpopular according to all polls about that subject on Ana forum (+ one at GM). So till we not choose new name instead "Beauty and her Beasts" should be just "Ana Ivanovic".

Talking about our moderator (Dexter), he is proven Ivanovic fan and fan of Polish tennis, but he obviously have strange taste for some things which is in contrast with Ivanovic fans or Polish fans majority:
1) Desperately want to stay "Beauty and her Beasts" name for Ana forum.
2) Dont think that Polish Tennis needs their own forum (out of "Rest of world".
3) Dont think that Aga and Ula (Radwanska Sisters) needs separate own forums.

So i suggest this corrections:
1) Put "Ana Ivanovic" instead "Beauty and her Beasts" till we not choose new name.
2) Poland is only Country ever at WTAWorld/TennisForum which have at least for a week some TOP10 player in XXI century, but still dont have REAL own forum here (out of "Rest of World"). Of course that country with currently youngest TOP10 player Agnieszka Radwanska, with one of most popular out of TOP20 players Marta Domachowska and potential WTA star Ula Radwanska (2007 junior #1 player and slam winner) deserve to have their own forum.
3) Radwanska sisters is different personalities for sure and right now Aga is TOP10 and Ula out of TOP100, so better to separate they now when more than 80% threads and posts is Aga related than in future when it not be so easy. Williams, Clijsters or Maleeva sisters have separate players forums, and only exception, Bondarenko sisters is actualy more known like Bondarenko team (GS champions already) and have pretty similar career in singles - Radwanska sisters is not that case.

PS
Before start of new season i think it's good moment to think again about my initiative for switching places of "Serbian Sensation" and "The Belgian Babes Band" players forums, so current WTA BIG-3 (USA, Russia and Serbia) will be together on TOP and Belgium forum where currently only "out of TOP100" Flipkens have own forum will be placed where now is Serbs - something between middle and bottom. If You compare number of new posts, threads, visits and views in last 6 months (since Henin retire) of Belgian and Serbian (with Ivanovic and Jankovic WTA stars and latest two WTA #1) forums, You will realize that reasons for this eventual change is very PRACTICAL.

HNY-2009 :wavey:

James
Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
The same applies to changing the name to Ana Ivanovic. You have to get a majority of people to like the name change.

Moving the Polish forum out of Rest of World is possible. It was brought to our attention already. It would apply to all specific forums naturally, within Rest of World currently.

When the Radwanska forum was requested, people were asked if they did not mind it would be a forum for both sisters. There were no objections at the time. If the majority of that forum thinks otherwise now, it can be changed.

I don't have anything add to the forum order discussion. I will see if the other mods/admins think differently.

Perhaps we should let Dexter say what he wants, instead of you saying it for him, by the way.

Cp6uja
Jan 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Perhaps we should let Dexter say what he wants, instead of you saying it for him, by the way.I try to explain why we need all this changes no mater if only Serbian/Polish moderator want "Status Quo" to stay, b/c his reasons is obviously outdated.

1) If moderator use VETO to prevent "Ajde Ana!" to became new name of Ana Ivanovic forum, before we finally find solution instead current name should be neutral ("NO NAME") compromise solution Ana Ivanovic instead (very) unpopular Beauty and her Beasts. In august referendum should we need name change or not just 28% is against name change and only 5% is not sure, and also in final poll for new name between "Ajde Ana!" and "Ana is Love" less than 20% vote "Against both options" which is obvious proof that majority dont like current name.

2) Polish is there to stay and already is too good for "Rest of World" forum status. They are young, have newest and youngest worlds TOP10 player, popular Marta, and expectations that former junior #1 and jr GS champion Urszula will have breakthrough season in 2009 is realistic. Unlike in XX century in XXI tennis is obviously favorite sport for Polish girls (dont forget that former TOP10 Molik and future TOP10 Wozniacki have "Polish blood") so all conditions for own players forum is there. Maybe is compromise for Poland to be part of some new strong "Regional Forum" together with Czechs and Slovaks (or even Ukraine and Belorussia) - but for "Rest of World" Poland is simple too good right now.

3) When "Radwanska Sisters" forum starts in march Aga is #20 ranked WTA player, but still more known like former junior#1 and junior GS champion so difference between sisters status dont seems so big at all, and thanks to theirs coach/father which mostly speaks in that time in theirs names nobody not notice clean all difference in sisters personalities. But now we have new situation after Agniszka reach TOP10 status, show strong and independent personality in many interviews and probably give-up of serious doubles career with her sister - i think she simple must to have her own forum, whatever her sister Urszula do or achieve in future. And like i notice already - it's way easy to separate them now when almost all threads is Aga related than in future when Urszula be more and more interesting and recognized by fans.

4) To not repeat all arguments again about players forum order correction i want just to repeat once again that my idea is not suggestion that players forum order must be some kind of national "standings", but simple current BIG-3 which is obviously USA, Russia and Serbia (for example all 2008 TOP-8 YEC players is from this three countries and all GS, OG, YEC and even tier-I finalists) - should be together, on TOP, like former BIG-4 (USA, Belgium, Russia and France) do it in last 5 season when that is WTA reality since 2002 and before last season. I'm pretty sure that any of Flipkens fans and supporters will not complain if Serbia and Belgium players forum will switch theirs places b/c current WTA "New Order".

Kart
Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
I try to explain why we need all this changes no matter if only Serbian/Polish moderator want "Status Quo" to stay, b/c his reasons is obviously outdated.
No, you don't need to explain anything further.

You have an active forum moderator and you need to discuss your argument with him directly instead of repeating it in here.

None of us are going to change the forum's name without Dexter telling us that it is what your forum (collectively) wants.

If you feel your moderator is not running your forum competently then by all means make contact with an administrator via private message. However, in this instance, it appears to simply be a difference of opinion and I'm afraid on matters such as these, we will always defer to the opinion of your moderator.

Otherwise it would be completely pointless to have a moderator in the first place.