PDA

View Full Version : Who are the Wildcards?

martin white
Dec 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM
ok so winner of play off receives one,agreement with fta and usta with one player from each country andAsian champs winner. who will receive other 4 spots
my picks1] Jessica Moore
2]Monique Adamczak
3]Sophie Ferguson
4]Jelena Dokic[if she doesn't win play off]
5] Madison Brengle [safe guess]
others unsure

hammerhead
Dec 18th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Brengle already lost in USTA wildcard event. It's between King, McHale, and Brodsky.

Jorn
Dec 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Christina McHale is US players wildcard.

Jorn
Dec 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM
Dokic wins Australian Open wildcard

Jelena Dokic has secured a wildcard into Australian Open 2009 after beating teenager Monika Wejnert 6-7(3) 7-5 6-3 in the Wildcard Play-off women’s final at Melbourne Park today.

nouf
Dec 23rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
i know french wc main draw ao 2008 no loit no sanchez
she is a young player :)

iGOAT
Dec 24th, 2008, 04:16 AM
who? coin?

maxomax
Dec 25th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I'll guess Fedossova or Laisne :)

nouf
Dec 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM
no coin no fedossova no laisne lol

FERLKE
Dec 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Pavlovic? :confused:

nouf
Dec 25th, 2008, 02:34 PM
no pavlovic

slavicpower
Dec 25th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Hesse?

iGOAT
Dec 26th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I guess coin is in anyway :lol: mathilde johansson? cohen-aloro? foretz? vedy? pichet? haring? or....

Golovin?! *fingers crossed* :lol:

Dav.
Dec 26th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Tati didn't even enter. :lol:

My guess is Huck. :shrug:

JOCHEBEL
Dec 26th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Youlia FEDOSSOVA , FEUERSTEIN or Violette Huck...but Julie Coin is the most considerable after the US OPEN!

Hurley
Dec 26th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Coin, Johansson, and Cohen-Aloro are all direct entrants into the main draw.

iGOAT
Dec 26th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Tati didn't even enter. :lol:

My guess is Huck. :shrug:
That's why I hope she got a wildcard

iGOAT
Dec 26th, 2008, 04:18 AM
u smart. me not know that

Dav.
Dec 26th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I wasn't laughing at you, just the fact that Tat didn't even bother attempting to enter with hopes of being ready. It's like she really is retired..

Europe rocks
Dec 27th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I'm guessing it's Laisne :shrug:

nouf
Dec 28th, 2008, 09:38 AM
no huck no laisne lol one young player

Ballbasher
Dec 28th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Radovanovic,Hesse,Mladenovic,Rodiet,Babet or Chala? :p

TS
Dec 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Well if you claim to know who the French recipient is, please enlighten us. Otherwise, let's just wait until it's announced shall we?

nouf
Dec 28th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Radovanovic,Hesse,Mladenovic,Rodiet,Babet or Chala? :p

ahah not bad
but its rodier not rodiet

frenchie
Dec 28th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Radovanovic or Mladenovic IMO!

hellas719
Dec 28th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Babet, Mladenovic or Chala should get it!

FORZA SARITA
Dec 29th, 2008, 12:02 PM
and the french WC goes to Mladenovic :eek:

http://spaziotennis.sport-blog.it/?p=1842&akst_action=share-this

Joe.
Dec 29th, 2008, 02:42 PM
mladenovic definitly deserves it :)

nouf
Dec 29th, 2008, 06:57 PM
ahaha yes its mladenovic the wc i said
but kristina said to me l'interview is not by her lol the french federation did it

In The Zone
Dec 29th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Mladenovic, Dokic, and McHale are the only 3 confirmed so far.

When is the Asian event?

Europe rocks
Dec 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Not sure about the Asian event, but I'm 99% sure Jessica Moore has a wildcard as well

iGOAT
Dec 29th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Okay:
1. Dokic
2. McHale
3. Mladenovic
4. Asian winner (when is the event? Ever? If no event, maybe Date-Krumm?)
5. TBD (I'd guess Moore)
6. TBD (I'd guess Wejnert)
7. TBD (I'd guess Rogowska)
8. TBD (Maybe Wheeler cause she won the playoff last year, otherwise I really don't know)

Joe.
Dec 30th, 2008, 07:08 AM
any news on qualifying wildcards? it would be really great if laura got one;)

jamatthews
Dec 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM
any news on qualifying wildcards? it would be really great if laura got one;)

1 she can't
2 she's injured

Ballbasher
Dec 30th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Okay:
1. Dokic
2. McHale
3. Mladenovic
4. Asian winner (when is the event? Ever? If no event, maybe Date-Krumm?)
5. TBD (I'd guess Moore)
6. TBD (I'd guess Wejnert)
7. TBD (I'd guess Rogowska)
8. TBD (Maybe Wheeler cause she won the playoff last year, otherwise I really don't know)
Ferguson? ;)

martin white
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Ferguson? ;)

yeah good guess,id say adamczak too,doub't it will be wheeler,maybe for qualies:)

Joe.
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:56 PM
1 she can't
2 she's injured

what has she injured?

jamatthews
Dec 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
what has she injured?

Stomach muscle. Might not even play Australian Open juniors unless I've missed an update about it.

Joe.
Dec 30th, 2008, 05:18 PM
oh dam. shes still young though so she should recover soon;)

CooCooCachoo
Jan 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
Is Adamczak going to be fit? If so, she should get a MD WC.

Edit: she is fit, so I think she deserves one.

hellas719
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Maybe one for Daniilidou? I know she isn't going to keep getting WC's, but I don't think Hobart is giving her one even though she won that tourney last year.

Rising Sun
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:58 AM
There were no Asian Championships last year.

Don't even know if there still is an Asian WC. :confused:

iGOAT
Jan 8th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Yuan got the Asian one ;)

iGOAT
Jan 8th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Okay:
1. Dokic
2. McHale
3. Mladenovic
4. Yuan
5. Holland (so I've heard, but not confirmed)
6. TBD (I'd guess Moore)
7. TBD (I'd guess Wejnert)
8. TBD (I'd guess Rogowska)

HOS
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:35 AM
iSzavay. - I reckon you are spot on with your TBC suggestions.

I think the only other 2 possibilities for a WC would be Ferguson (who has had plenty of help before but ...to her defence has been injured and won a round in Bris-Vegas this week) or Mirkovic

I haven't heard that Holland fgot one but you woudl have her in the mix

SO I think the final 4 should come from these 6 - Holland Moore Wejnert Rogowska Mirkovic or Ferguson.

I don't think they will give it to an ingernational- if they were- Date, Sesil,Kaz Sprem, Krajicek and Eleni D come to mind as being higher profile and or former top players

The Qualy WC's should go to the 2 that miss out above and :

Definetly Starr has one in the bag
Adamzcak if she doesn't get in already after withdrawals
Wishink - probably given Hobart QD WC
Peers- I reckon too
And the last out of :

Calderwood
Sheed
Hubacek
Bai

Maybe a QD WC for Lucic given her Auckland WC????

Pasta-Na
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:43 AM
give a Qualy WC to tiantian sun pls :bigcry:

Europe rocks
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Meng Yuan with a WC :tape:

ninanina19
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Why does Australia have to give Asian players a WC? I know it's the slam of Asia/the pacific but isn't USO the slam of North America? Shouldn't Canadian players get WCs then too? If they can't decide on a way to give a wc to a deserving player then give it back to the Aussies.

iGOAT
Jan 9th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Because Australia wants to act like they're the Asian slam so Asia doesn't need one ;)

ninanina19
Jan 9th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Because Australia wants to act like they're the Asian slam so Asia doesn't need one ;)
Lol true.

Keadz
Jan 9th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Jessica Moore was given a wild card today.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24891029-23210,00.html

Rising Sun
Jan 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Why does Australia have to give Asian players a WC? I know it's the slam of Asia/the pacific but isn't USO the slam of North America? Shouldn't Canadian players get WCs then too? If they can't decide on a way to give a wc to a deserving player then give it back to the Aussies.
The US Open doesn't actually promote itself as the Grand Slam of North America, while the OZ Open calls itself the Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific.

CooCooCachoo
Jan 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
AO wildcards for Ball and Moore http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/images/taAssets/but_mail.gif (http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=5226#) http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/images/taAssets/greyline.gif http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/images/taAssets/but_print.gif (http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=5226#) Melbourne,09 January 2009
Tennis Australia
http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetid=RDM39822.6364768403&blobType=landscape
Carsten Ball competes in the Australian Open wildcard play-off at Melbourne Park.
Getty Images

Australia’s newest Davis Cup player and Australian Open 2008 Junior finalist, Carsten Ball and Jessica Moore, have been awarded main draw wildcards into Australian Open 2009.

Ranked world No.200, the highlight of 2008 for Ball was his Davis Cup debut in Chile when he teamed with Chris Guccione to win the doubles rubber over highly-fancied Fernando Gonzalez and Nicolas Massu in an epic five-set match.

“I am very happy,” Ball said. “I have worked hard this year and had a great Davis Cup and I look forward to trying to do well for Australia again. I feel lucky to get a chance to play against the top 100 guys in the world in our sport, hopefully I can hold my own.”

Ball is currently playing doubles (with Guccione) at the Brisbane International, yesterday defeating top seeds, Max Mirnyi and Andy Ram 6-4 6-4. In the semis today they meet Fernando Verdasco and Mischa Zverev.

In a year spent working on the often-difficult transition from juniors to the women’s tour, 18-year-old Jessica Moore improved her senior ranking more than 230 places to a current world ranking of 140.

Moore’s 2008 achievements include a first round win in her Australian Open main draw debut, a second round showing at the US Open, and winning the French Open Junior doubles title.

“I’m very fortunate, and pretty lucky to be given this opportunity again from Tennis Australia,” Moore said.

“I won a round last year but instead of focusing on wins, I want to work on developing my game because this is the level I need to consistently perform at.”

Moore heads to Hobart today for the Moorilla Hobart International where she also holds a main draw wildcard.

The final Australian Open discretionary wildcards (three men and three women) will be announced within the next week.

Current Australian Open wildcards:

Men: Colin Ebelthite (Play-off winner), Carsten Ball (discretionary), John Isner (USTA), Adrian Mannarino (French), Denis Istomin (Asia),.

Women: Jelena Dokic (Play-off winner), Jessica Moore (discretionary), Christina McHale (USTA), Kristina Mladenovic (French), Yuan Meng (Asia).

CooCooCachoo
Jan 9th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Yuan :spit:

iGOAT
Jan 10th, 2009, 04:30 AM
OK:
1. Australian playoff winner [Jelena Dokic]
2. US playoff winner [Christina McHale]
3. French playoff winner [Kristina Mladenovic]
4. Asian wildcard [Meng Yuan]
5. Jessica Moore
6. I heard Isabella Holland but unconfirmed
7. TBC (I would guess Wejnert)
8. TBC (I would guess Rogowska)

If Holland doesn't get one, I would say Wheeler, cause she won the playoff last year.

Keadz
Jan 10th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Wheeler won't get jack shit. She has disappeared and hasn't played for ages. Sophie Ferguson would have to get one as well because she has beaten 2 top 100 players this year already, probably get rid of Rogowska or Wejnert.

Ben.
Jan 10th, 2009, 05:19 AM
No chance Wheelz won't get one, think she's just taking a break from the game.

Well the last 3 WC's will go to Aussie players anyway - tough choice between Ferguson, Holland, Wejnert, and Rogowska I would say.

Can only see Adamczak getting a Q WC.

TS
Jan 10th, 2009, 08:00 AM
OK:
5. Jessica Moore

If Holland doesn't get one, I would say Wheeler, cause she won the playoff last year.

LOL. Are you serious? Why should she get a WC for winning the play off 12 months ago!?! Anyway, she's not playing at the moment so it won't happen regardless.

theklein
Jan 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Ferguson, Wejnert, Rogowska. Duh!

Amalgamate
Jan 11th, 2009, 06:19 AM
OK:
5. Jessica Moore

While true Kristina got a WC (:help: 2nd round of Junior Orange bowl :help:) I do not think the french followed the playoff routine.

TS
Jan 11th, 2009, 07:23 AM
It's now official: Isabella Holland got a WC :)

http://news.theage.com.au/sport/aussie-youngsters-awarded-open-wildcards-20090111-7ebl.html

Joe.
Jan 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM
im pretty sure olivia rogowska will get one coz she has a wildcard into hobart and wouldnt get a chance to qualify

Keadz
Jan 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM
im pretty sure olivia rogowska will get one coz she has a wildcard into hobart and wouldnt get a chance to qualify

Well if she doesn't win tomorrow, she should be able to make it. If she does win a round she would be one of only 3 Aussies to win a main draw match this season so she would be a certainty for a wild card anyway. Depends how she goes tomorrow IMO. If it is bad, qualifying wild card and Monika Wejnert gets the main draw. If she wins or puts in a decent performance she will get a main draw wild card.

ozfan44
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I think it's safe to say TA are waiting to see how Rogowska goes in Hobart.....Ferguson will get one and it will be a toss up between Rogowska and Wejnert for the final wildcard!!

lover_of_myskina
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM
It's very surprising that kristina has received a WC... :eek:

Last year, she has had a WC for the... qualifications Draw of the Open Gaz de France in Paris.
And she lost at the first round against petra Kvitova.
She lost at Roland garros at the 2nd round against Arantxa Rus (in the girls draw).

I think she's not enough strong for a final draw yet. :confused:
But it's a wonderful news for Kristina !:bounce:
I hope we could watch her match on TV !

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/5327/kristinajo3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

More Kristina's pix on my website
http://tennis.forumpro.fr

TS
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Considering she's ranked 200 spots ahead of both Holland and Wejnert, I think she should get one regardless of how she does in Hobart.

TS
Jan 12th, 2009, 05:07 AM
The last two WCs have gone to Olivia Rogowska and Monika Wejnert.

No surprises really.

Daniel K
Jan 12th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Good news I think. Looking forward to seeing them in action live hopefully.

CooCooCachoo
Jan 12th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Tomic handed Open wildcard
Sportal

Rising tennis star Bernard Tomic has been given a wildcard to next week's Australian Open, Tennis Australia announced on Monday afternoon.

The world's top ranked 16-year-old and 2008 Australian Open Junior Champion will be joined by Sam Groth, Olivia Rogowska and Monika Wejnert who were all also given wildcards to the first Grand Slam of the year.

"Playing in a grand slam, particularly the Australian Open, has always been a dream and I hope to do well," Tomic said.

"I really appreciate the support Tennis Australia has given me and look forward to doing my very best. This is the level I have to learn to play at all the time, so it will be a fantastic experience."

Tomic's fellow Queenslander Wejnert, who is also 16, first shot to prominence in December, winning the Perth ITF event. She also reached the final of the Australian Open play-off, where she lost to former world No.4 Jelena Dokic after enjoying a victory over her in the round-robin stage.

"I'm really excited and grateful to receive the wildcard," Wejnert said. "I want to thank everyone who has helped me, especially my coach, Chris Steele, who has been a great support this year."

"This will be such a good opportunity experience-wise. I was lucky to play the runner-up (Marion Bartoli) in Brisbane, and I think I will be much more prepared this time. I will definitely have a better state of mind and know what to expect. That's the best I can do."

Australian Institute of Sport coach Brent Larkham was delighted with the focus on youth for the wildcards.

"The wildcard selection committee has made the decision to focus on youth and give a new group of players the opportunity to step up and experience competition at this elite level," he said.

"All these athletes will gain an enormous amount of experience from this opportunity which will help them develop both mentally and physically."

"At the end of the day, this is the level they all need to be achieving at in order to play a part in the future of Australian tennis."

Australian Open wildcards:

Men: Colin Ebelthite (play-off winner), Bernard Tomic (discretionary), Sam Groth (discretionary), Brydan Klein (discretionary), Carsten Ball (discretionary), John Isner (USTA), Adrian Mannarino (French), Denis Istomin (Asia).

Women: Jelena Dokic (play-off winner), Monika Wejnert (discretionary), Olivia Rogowska (discretionary), Isabella Holland (discretionary), Jessica Moore (discretionary), Christina McHale (USTA), Kristina Mladenovic (French), Yuan Meng (Asia).

http://sportal.com.au/tennis-news-display/tomic-given-wildcard-63239

In The Zone
Jan 12th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Good choices. Ferguson and the rest would do better in qualifying to gain some points. Holland, Rogowska, and Wejnert can use the professional experience.

StephenUK
Jan 12th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Presumably QWCs will go to the likes of Ferguson, Adamczak, Starr, Golds, Mirkovic etc.

I think they made the right choice - giving the chance to young players who have not had years of WCs in the past.

Experimentee
Jan 12th, 2009, 02:28 PM
They must have just given the Asian WC to the highest ranked Asian players. Istomin got the men's WC this way too.

I think Kimiko Date should have received the Asian WC, she would have generated more interest than Yuan.

^bibi^
Jan 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
on the entry list, Yan was just one spot before Yan though, and Yan's a former double winner her,e wuld have ake more sense to give it to her I guess :shrug:

HOS
Jan 12th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I wish they announcved the QD WC's.
I agreee StephenUK,
think the QD WC's will go too:

Ferguson, Adamczak, Starr, Golds, Mirkovic as well as Calderwood, Bai and Peers.

IF Adamzcak gets in duiue to heaps of withdrawals, then maybe Wishink or
Hubacek

Drake1980
Jan 12th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Yuan!:o

flyingoliver
Jan 13th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Yuan   Come on!

flyingoliver
Jan 13th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Yuan Please go to the 2r
!!

iGOAT
Jan 13th, 2009, 05:43 AM
It's very surprising that kristina has received a WC... :eek:

Last year, she has had a WC for the... qualifications Draw of the Open Gaz de France in Paris.
And she lost at the first round against petra Kvitova.
She lost at Roland garros at the 2nd round against Arantxa Rus (in the girls draw).

I think she's not enough strong for a final draw yet. :confused:
But it's a wonderful news for Kristina !:bounce:
I hope we could watch her match on TV !

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/5327/kristinajo3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

More Kristina's pix on my website
http://tennis.forumpro.fr
Well, IMO best-case scenario is playing Serena or Ivanovic and being on center court. Obviously, she'd be expected to be a big heap of nerves and if she is, no probkem, if she's not, amazing. She can learn how to do it young too.

anthonyqld
Jan 13th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I emailed the tournament about the Q-wildcards and the response I got was that the womens wildcards aren't decided until tomorrow morning (the mens wildcars are decided this afternoon)