PDA

View Full Version : Summer of Sammy!!

OZTENNIS
Dec 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM
Australia's top ranked woman, Samantha Stosur, is set to embark on a big summer of tennis this January.

Now aged 24, Queensland's Stosur enters the 2009 season as the World No.52. She has entered in the 2009 Brisbane International and is one of the main draws headline acts. We also expect her to enter Sydney as she has committed to a doubles partnership with Renae Stubbs. Then it will be onto the Aussie Open, Stosur's first appearance in Melbourne for two years.

She will then cap of her summer campaign by leading Australia into battle at the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Asia/Pacific Zone Group 1 Qualifying Competition in Perth.

Realistically, Sam can (I think) make a quarter final in Brisbane and potentially a third or fourth found at the Australian Open. She thrives in Aussie conditions and will no doubt be one of the fittest players for the summer.

GOOD LUCK SAMMY :rocker:

Ben.
Dec 2nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
Aren't you getting a little excited in starting these threads for our top Aussie hopes Zack :lol: Can't blame you :)

Anyway, here's to a successful summer for Sam :yeah:

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 4th, 2008, 09:22 AM
sam :D i have high hopes for January :)

OZTENNIS
Jan 9th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Sam got directly into Sydney MD, fingers crossed for a good draw for her :)

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 10th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Sam drew top seed and AO favourite Serena Williams round one. Awesome matchup for both players and while this is obviously a huge ask of any player if Sam is ever going to beat Serena this is her chance - home crowd, serena's first match of the year - and even is she loses i think this will be good prep heading into Melbourne.

Sam should be in the doubles draw too with Rennae Stubbs :)

good luck and cya in sydney sam ;)

Keadz
Jan 11th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Oh Sam:oThat was hard to watch, couldn't do much in the third set because of Serena sulking around...but still she had 4 match points. 2 double faults and an easy volley put away into the OPEN court. Really sad, this could screw her up for a while.

I lost respect for Serena.

Ben.
Jan 11th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I'am so gutted :sobbing: Golden opportunity for Sam there & yet she has to tense up & let it slip away from her fingers :sad: But she really gave Serena (I don't care whether Serena was rusty or not) a run for her money & I just hope this is another learning curve from Sam. Great effort from her :hug:

Yeah Serena did look disinterested in the match during parts of the 3rd set (wasn't too happy about that). But hey that's life & we move on to focus on Sam's chances for the AO.

Keadz
Jan 11th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Repeat of Sam's Wimbledon second round! She isn't very lucky against these top players. But I don't care if she had no rhythm, all she really needed was ONE first serve. But she couldn't.......SO DISAPPOINTED ARGGH!!!

Hopefully this doesn't stay in her mind and she can get over it quickly.

Ben.
Jan 11th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Really sad, this could screw her up for a while.

I don't think it will screw her up. Might give her a bit confidence going into the AO knowing that she pushed a really high quality player in Serena. Will be tough for Sam to get over that loss for a few hours...but I'm sure she'll forget about it tomorrow & be the happy normal person that she usually is.

Just don't get too negative.

Droolv
Jan 11th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I can't believe it :o Why Sam? Why choke? :sobbing:

I'm lost for words really :shrug:

It would have been so amazing if she pulled it off :awww:

So close Sam, please stay confident :hug:

Keadz
Jan 11th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Well I only got home around 6-6 in the second set...so I haven't seen most of the first and second set. I recorded it and am watching it now so hopefully she takes some confidence from those two sets because she was playing really well.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Jan 11th, 2009, 08:13 AM
When she first lost I was completly gutted. But now ive come to terms with it and im not even that sad.

Although she choked it away she still had match points against the #2 player in the world. Instead of being negative lets give her credit for that. She played really well and never stopped fighting. Finally she got close to beating a top player. I didnt even think she would win a set. So she excedded my ecpectations.

Im not going to lie. The choke was bad. But she would have been as nervous as hell. You try serving when your that nervous. The other good point was that she never lost her cool and remained very classy.

At the end of the day I am so proud of Sam. She played well and didnt lose her class even after Serena's chilidsh antics. And the other thing is. She will win won soon.

This is the time when Sam needs us to stand by her. And I for one will stick by her.

There's always another match. Good luck at the Australian Open Sam! Smash Em!

Joe.
Jan 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM
she really should of won :( i bet she feels awful

Droolv
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:43 AM
When she first lost I was completly gutted. But now ive come to terms with it and im not even that sad.

Although she choked it away she still had match points against the #2 player in the world. Instead of being negative lets give her credit for that. She played really well and never stopped fighting. Finally she got close to beating a top player. I didnt even think she would win a set. So she excedded my ecpectations.

Im not going to lie. The choke was bad. But she would have been as nervous as hell. You try serving when your that nervous. The other good point was that she never lost her cool and remained very classy.

At the end of the day I am so proud of Sam. She played well and didnt lose her class even after Serena's chilidsh antics. And the other thing is. She will win won soon.

This is the time when Sam needs us to stand by her. And I for one will stick by her.

What a post :awww: Agree 100% with this Jords :bowdown:

louloubelle
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Nice post :)
I actually don't care if she choked because really she has never come that close to beating someone in the top 5 and being nervous can happen to anyone. But I would hope that Sam and David Taylor would look at the match on tape and analyse why she lost. And I feel that she lost, not because of being nervous, but because she still has some flaws in her game that will be exposed by the top players all of the time.
With such a big weapon with her serve, she does not get enough first serves in.
The forehand is way to wristy and unreliable. Whenever Serena was in trouble she went there over and over again. I don't recall a player of Sam's calibre making so many mishits either.
Finally - tho she is fit, Im not convinced she moves that well or has a reliable defensive shot.
Some improvements in these areas and look out :eek:
The 2nd set was a great set of tennis for Sam. Her t/b was so controlled and she really was not fazed playing someone like Serena. I hope she can see from a match like this, with some adjustments to her game, that she is belongs in the top 20.

aussie_fan
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I'm sorry but there is no positive that can be taken out from this, Serena had almost basically given up and she served 2 of the 4 mp's she had for double faults and then the volley :o No excuses for that.

Mentally it's going to take a long time to recover from this, and it will be a mental scar that will stay there forever.

Soulslayer
Jan 11th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I'm startled... 1st because she was so close to win against Williams and 2nd because she lost. It's one thing if a player loses cleary, losing so close is the biggest sh** in the world though. :sad::rain::hysteric::crying2: I really hope Sam sees the good thing in this match... and wish my girl all the best for the AO. :hug: I can already picture her against all her unfortunate opponents: :smash: :)

Unfortuantely I didn't see the match though... what's what everyone here is talking about Williams being bitchy?

#kArLoS#
Jan 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Samantha:bigcry::hug:

Wedgie619
Jan 13th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Stubbs/Stosur went down 5/7 5/7 to Peng/Hsieh

OZTENNIS
Jan 15th, 2009, 11:56 PM
AUSTRALIAN OPEN
R1: Samantha Stosur (AUS) versus Klara Zakapolova (CZE)

Good first up match for Sam. Hope for a win in 2

Huntress55
Jan 16th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Pretty good first match for her :)

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 16th, 2009, 12:20 AM
easy match - c'mon sam.

sam was still at Olympic Park yesterday in Sydney training with Stubbsy and David Taylor.

i said hi to her and i told her she played great vs serena and she was friendly - really didnt seem to worried about it at all.

great draw - make the most of it ;)

Keadz
Jan 16th, 2009, 12:50 AM
She should be able to come through her 1st round match, but then probably playing her arch enemy Wozniak in the 2nd round. Hopefully Wozniak is low on confidence after her choke in Hobart, she wasted 7 match point where as Sam only wasted 4 :p If not Wozniak, it would be Sabine Lisiki which is also a very tough match. Sam will have to work pretty tough to get to the third round.

If she does get to the third round, it will be a match up with Dementieva. Should be another good measure of where she is at against the best in the world. I just hope she can get there.

GOOD LUCK SAMMY!

Harvs
Jan 16th, 2009, 01:16 AM
omg piss of wozniak

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Jan 16th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I am really happy with Sam's draw.

First up, Zakopalova. Repeat of there first round encounter at the 2007 Open. Sam's serves always troubles Klara. I reckon this is a good first round because Klara is abit of a nutcase and she is easily frustarted by Sam's heavy game. However. Klara can be really dangerous when she is on. So Sam needs to come out confident and keep her errors down.

Then Woznaik :unsure: I wish she would just retire haha. Sam has come close to beating her so hopefully she can do it with the added support of the home crowd. She just needs to return well and try to break Alek's serve as much as possible.

Then it would most likely be Dementieva. This would be very tough but Id be so happy if Sam one a set.

But first of she needs to concentrate on her first match.

Good Luck Sam!
We are all behind you :bowdown:

*timtams*
Jan 16th, 2009, 09:31 AM
saw wozniak today, she always looks pissed off. never smiles. she was smacking everything wide in warm up with cornet. my mate made a who ate all the pies comment, a little loud, then again....bartoli was on the next court

Hedgehog
Jan 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Sam!!

Good luck against Klara! I think it should be a good match for you, it could be difficult if Klara is playing well. But anyways. Good Luck! I think you can win this match! :bounce:

Soulslayer
Jan 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM
If Sam won't forget overnight how to play tennis she can definitely beat Klara. Go Sam! Wish you luck! :worship: :clap2:

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 17th, 2009, 03:40 AM
umm Lisicki will beat Wozniak dont worry

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Jan 20th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Phew. Sam played well at times but overall a very sloppy match. Im just happy that she got through. Hopefully she can play well in doubles tomorrow and come out firing against Sabine.

#kArLoS#
Jan 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM
congrats:banana:

OZTENNIS
Jan 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM
:scared:
She played amazing tennis to go up 5-1 and then almost fell apart. Good she got the win, but hopefully they don't put her on RLA against Lisicki. I think she still struggles with the pressure and would do better on an outside court until she played someone she wouldn't expect to beat

GeeTee
Jan 20th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I think Sam DID nearly forget how to play tennis overnight... What a shocker. :(

Hope Dokic can break this year's RLA night time jinx for Aussies. First Dellacqua makes you wonder how she ever got to the fourth round last year. Then Sam almost plays worse - some of her volleys made me wonder if she'd ever played doubles before.... Hopefully third time lucky tonight...

Keadz
Jan 21st, 2009, 08:30 AM
Sammy and Stubbs played great in doubles today, why can't she transfer her net game in doubles into singles:o

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
much improved and consistent performance to beat an in form lisicki who played quite well 63 64 :) well done sam!

#kArLoS#
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
great,well done Sammy:bounce:
Now GL against Lena D in R3:unsure::p

Keadz
Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
Good consistent performance from Sammy today, couldn't ask for much more. Only 9 unforced errors. Stayed calm, good at net...almost choked but stayed steady. Good win for her..proving again that she is clearly the best Aussie born player ATM and she will be for a while.

Good luck next round! GO FOR THE UPSET...please no night match :o

Harvs
Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
Good consistent performance from Sammy today, couldn't ask for much more. Only 9 unforced errors. Stayed calm, good at net...almost choked but stayed steady. Good win for her..proving again that she is clearly the best Aussie born player ATM and she will be for a while.

Good luck next round! GO FOR THE UPSET...please no night match :o

lol they just interviewed sam on foxsports... she said she would like a night match.

it will be for sure...... and im going that night, woo!

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:24 PM
Sam played so well todat against a very difficult oppenent. I was so impressed. 8 erorrs is amazing for Sam. Good to see her finally putting it together! And she didnt choke today :yeah:

Top stuff Sammy :rocker:

aussie_fan
Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Great result for Sam. Look forward to watching how she goes against Dementieva

smit101
Jan 24th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Really looking forward to tonight! I think sam has a chance tonight if she can keep it tight and allow the crowd to get into the match. Dementieva has been in great form so it is a tough task for Sammy, but hopefully she can do her best. Good Luck Sammy! :yeah:

Keadz
Jan 24th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Good start from Sam, 5-3...hope she can serve it out

Keadz
Jan 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Followed by the typical Sam Stosur choke...6-6 and 1-2 in the tie break.

C'MON SAMM!!

Keadz
Jan 24th, 2009, 09:47 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::sad::sad::sad::sad: :sad::o:o:o:mad::mad::mad::fiery::fiery::fiery::he lp::help::help:

Joe.
Jan 24th, 2009, 09:48 AM
lost first set :o :(

GeeTee
Jan 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM
:eek: breaks Lena first game second set and then loses her own serve :confused::help::banghead:

Keadz
Jan 24th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Disgusting, couldn't get a first serve in. Overused the backhand slice to ridiculous proportions. Huge choke again, the usual retarded framed fore hands. Crappy volleys when she actually needed them.

Nothing to take out of this match besides she kept it relatively close playing shit.

veryborednow
Jan 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Random question that I appreciate no one will probably know, but what is Sam's ethnic background? And was that her mum that they kept showing during the match against Elena?

Keadz
Jan 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I am not sure about her ethnic background, but yes that is her mum.

veryborednow
Jan 24th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Thank you :) Stosur's just a surname that's not easily placed unlike Tomic or Hewitt.

Harvs
Jan 24th, 2009, 11:53 PM
such a shame... she gave away that bloody first set

GeeTee
Jan 25th, 2009, 11:15 PM
And I see David Taylor is no longer her coach...

Droolv
Jan 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Where'd you hear that? :speakles:

Harvs
Jan 26th, 2009, 12:24 AM
yeah shes working with some chick who i dont know from now on....

Acanthus
Jan 26th, 2009, 06:56 AM
That must of been some of you guys with the Smash 'em Sam shirts in the crowd at Rod Laver Arena? They were showing those guys on tv heaps during the game against Dementieva.

louloubelle
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Now working with US based kiwi Rene Moller. Small mention of it below.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/tennis/australian-open/stosur-lets-opportunity-slip/2009/01/24/1232471667294.html
Haven't heard of him/her before. Apparently has worked with Hingis & Peirce. Hopefully its the right appointment.

bad_angel_109
Jan 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM
i saw sammy with layne beachly in cafe arena before :lol:
i was gonna ask for her autograph but decided against it :(

GeeTee
Jan 27th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Rene Moller was coach of Sacha Jones :eek: in 2007 and said at the time "I've worked with Martina Hingis and Mary Pierce and I still work with Australian number one Sam Stosur"

Soulslayer
Jan 27th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Please God don't let Sam dwell in choking like Momo did! Please please please!!! :eek:
She could've beaten Dementieva if her 1sts were in. :(

And why are you so shocked, GeeTee - who is Sacha Jones???

GeeTee
Jan 28th, 2009, 07:40 AM
And why are you so shocked, GeeTee - who is Sacha Jones???

Sacha is a young New Zealander who's highest ranking was about #270 and is now at about #320. If that's her "biggest name" credential as a coach, I don't think it's much and a big drop from the quality of Taylor. I don't think 'working with' Amelie/Hingis is quite the same as being a full coach for a top player.

Anyway with Sam, it might be better if she got a sports psychologist on board asap..

Sandra.P
Jan 30th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I wish Elena would have won the AO, then we could have said that Sammy lost to the Winner ;)

Soulslayer
Feb 10th, 2009, 06:58 AM
She'll still beat some of the winners this year if you ask me! :bounce: