PDA

View Full Version : Patty's Australian Assualt (News and Results thread)

Keadz
Nov 25th, 2008, 01:01 AM
A thread to discuss all thing's Patty in Australia next year :)

Patty will start of her run in Hobart:)
http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=5053
World No. 14 Patty Schnyder will headline the Moorilla Hobart International in January.

Schnyder will return to the Apple Isle, where in 1998 she walked away as champion.

Moorilla Hobart International Tournament Director Michael Roberts said today, “It will be fantastic to welcome Patty back to our event. She would have to be one of the most consistent players over a number of years on the tour. Having spent eight years in the world’s top 20 highlights she is a class player “

Schnyder has made the fourth round or better an astounding 21 times at Grand Slams; this includes quarterfinals at both the French Open and US Open in 2008. She has amassed almost USD$7.5 million in prize money.

Schnyder would have fond memories of Hobart. She won the first title of her career here in 1998, which kick started her breakthrough year on the Sony Ericsson WTA tour. By the end of that year she had recorded five tour singles titles and made her top 10 debut.

In 2009 she will be hoping the tournament can once again catapult her into the world top 10 and provide her with the perfect preparation as the lead in to the first Grand Slam of the year, the Australian Open.

Work is currently underway at the Domain Tennis Centre with new Plexicushion courts being laid in preparation for the January event.

“The new courts will bring the tennis centre into line with the rest of the AO Series events and will provide all players with the best opportunity to prepare for the Australian Open, on the same courts, in a similar climate.

“With five of the current top 10 women having played in Hobart, the tournament has the reputation of showcasing the stars of our game,” Roberts said.

“We pride ourselves on presenting a boutique event that provides spectators and players with a great atmosphere and some of the best views in world tennis.”

The full player line-up, to be released at the start of December, is sure to provide a spectacular week of entertainment for Tasmanian tennis fans.

iPatty
Nov 25th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I guess she really liked going to Gold Coast because I figured she would play Brisbane. What's the purpose of this thread as opposed to just posting in her cheering thread? Doesn't matter to me I just don't see the point. :shrug:

Will be interesting to see how she starts the season, she has been horrible the past two years in Australia.

She used to play Gold Coast and Sydney, then changed it up and played only Sydney in 2006 (lost to Peer) then changed it up again and played only Gold Coast in 2007 (lost to Li) and now she heads to Hobart? Perhaps she is deciding where in Oz she wants to live when she retires. ;)

Keadz
Nov 25th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Eh, it just makes her forum more exciting. Don't act like your not excited about this new thread!

justine schnyder
Nov 25th, 2008, 05:26 PM
When is Hobart being played? in the first or the second week?
I thought she'd play Brisbane too, but oh well, I just hope it's the right desicion..

iPatty
Nov 25th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Second week. I wonder who else will be joining her in Hobart?

Keadz
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Tuesday 6 January 2009
http://www.hobartinternational.com.au/2009/01/schnyder-ready-for-2009-assault
World No.14 Patty Schnyder has arrived in Hobart ahead of the Moorilla Hobart International which gets underway this Friday 9 January.

The first main draw player to arrive on the Apple Isle, Schnyder is getting back into the swing of things after a well earned break since her last tournament in October 2008.

“I chose to stay home over the new year and have one great tournament [in the lead up to the Australian Open], so hopefully I’ll have lots of matches here,” Schnyder said today.

“I’m fresh mentally; it was great to have time at home with a little bit of normal life.”

“I arrived early to make sure I’m 100 per cent once the tournament starts,” Schnyder continued.

Returning for the first time since 1999 Schnyder said it feels good to be back in Tasmania.

“I had a good experience here, first winning, but enjoyed the whole place and the people. I am really happy to be back.”

Schnyder had her first hit on the new Plexicushion courts at the Domain Tennis Centre today, with tournament hitting partner, Tasmanian Andrew Roberts.

“The courts feel good. It was good to practice,” Schnyder said.

As well as relishing the chance to be back on the court the Swiss No.1 is enjoying the Australian summer.

“It is really cold in Switzerland right now so it’s good to be here for the Australian summer and great to be on the tour again.”

The qualifying event will kick start the 2009 Moorilla Hobart International on 9 January with the main draw action underway from 11 January.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Good news that she is confident and ready!
Here's hoping for a big season!

justine schnyder
Jan 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Allez Patty!! Please win some ;)

iPatty
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for posting, good to hear she has arrived safely.

justine schnyder
Jan 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
when is Hobart's draw coming out?

DarkchildSwiss
Jan 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Any news on her tournament schedule for this year?

Keadz
Jan 9th, 2009, 10:32 PM
It should come out today, but whether it is released or not is another question. This tournament is a joke...last year the main draw wasn't released till the day it started(I think DutchieGirl got it at the tournament and posted it here). Today's OOP hasn't even been released and play has started.

Patty better win this crap!!

iPatty
Jan 10th, 2009, 03:47 AM
(5)Agnes Szavay (HUN) vs. Anne Keothavong (GBR)
Virginie Razzano (FRA) vs. Q
(wc)Jessica Moore (AUS) vs. Olga Govortsova (BLR)
(2)Patty Schnyder (SUI) vs. Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL)

Keadz
Jan 10th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Not an easy first round. I just hope she can get through that, Pironkova usually plays well in Australia.

justine schnyder
Jan 10th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Not an easy draw, but not the toughest as well since the entry list here was quite strong..
Best of luck Patty, Allez!!

justine schnyder
Jan 11th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Ummmm I think disgrace would be the right word here....

I had a feeling it might happen.. From some reason I think Patty won't have many great moments again (Sorry for the pessimistic, but I do have this feeling :o) I hope she proves me wrong, but o far, 4 matches losing streak, especially the last one after saying she's confident and everything, doesn't seem good to me

iPatty
Jan 11th, 2009, 03:43 PM
In 2006 she played horribly in the warm-ups (lost to Safarova and Hantuchova) but went on to reach the QF in Melbourne. She seemed to be put off by a bad call or something in this match, I think I read that she got a warning for an audible obscenity. At 30-years old this stuff shouldn't be happening anymore. :o

I don't think it's cause for too much concern just yet.

Keadz
Jan 16th, 2009, 12:25 AM
AUSTRALIAN OPEN: First Round
Patty Schnyder vs Kristina Mladenovic(WC)

Basically the easiest first round opponent in the draw. It would be incredibly disturbing if she struggled here. Her second round though is much tougher, were she will most probably vs Aussie Jarka Gadjasova. Good luck, hopefully she can start of the year well :)

Patty Schnyder SUI (14)
v
Kristina Mladenovic FRA
Jarmila Gajdosova AUS
v
Virginie Razzano FRA

Su-Wei Hsieh TPE
v
Yung-Jan Chan TPE
Qualifier
v
Dominika Cibulkova SVK (18)

Aleksandra Wozniak CAN (30)
v
Sabine Lisicki GER
Samantha Stosur AUS
v
Klara Zakopalova CZE

Vera Dushevina RUS
v
Iveta Benesova CZE
Kristina Barrois GER
v
Elena Dementieva RUS (4)

justine schnyder
Jan 16th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I agree, if struggles here, then we have a big problem..
Anyway, Allez Patty do your best.. And please win some matches :o

hdfb
Jan 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I forgot to tell you guys. I went to qualies on Thursday and I saw Patty playing a practice match with Shahar Peer. Good hitting, Patty won and I got her autograph. Didn't get the score though. Rainer looks like a serial killer.

Shahar has a new coach of 6 weeks and it's permanent and he is pretty handsome.

justine schnyder
Jan 17th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I forgot to tell you guys. I went to qualies on Thursday and I saw Patty playing a practice match with Shahar Peer. Good hitting, Patty won and I got her autograph. Didn't get the score though.
Thanks! :) TBH, if it was a real match, I wouldn;t be able to decide who needed the win more..
Good to hear Patty played well, I hope Shahar too though.

Rainer looks like a serial killer.

:lol: :scared: what's new here.. ;)
JR will be happy to hear :)

Shahar has a new coach of 6 weeks and it's permanent and he is pretty handsome.
yeah Pablo something.. Former coach of Kanepi and Castano. I hope she'll do better with him.

hdfb
Jan 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM
^Funny I thought Shahar was winning the match, she was blasting the balls past Schnyder and hitting some great winners, and Pablo kept saying Good girl, clever girl to Shahar.

But when I asked Patty who won she said she did. :P I got her autograph too.

justine schnyder
Jan 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM
:lol: so only them know the truth :tape:

justine schnyder
Jan 19th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Patty will play 2nd match on show court 3. Good luck!! :armed: :D

Does anyone know about some livestream to this court exept the ES player?

Keadz
Jan 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I will hopefully go down to watch her. Hopefully it is a quick match

justine schnyder
Jan 19th, 2009, 09:29 AM
In her favor ofcourse ;)
Have fun!! :D

iPatty
Jan 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Mladenovic has been slumping in juniors so this match shouldn't even take more than 40 minutes or so.

justine schnyder
Jan 19th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Mladenovic has been slumping in juniors so this match shouldn't even take more than 40 minutes or so.

Well she better...

justine schnyder
Jan 20th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Wow.. IT'S 2:6 6:4 now..
She had the easilest opponent in this draw, it should have been 6:1 6:1 on a bad day.. what's going on?

Anyway I'm going now, so fight Patty...

Keadz
Jan 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I watched the first 2 sets of this match and nearly jumped on the court and started yelling at Patty. MY GOD it was frustrating to watch.

Thankgod she won but still :o

Her serve was shit, her backhand was shit...she was making stupid errors...let the wind affect her. The only thing that worked OCCASIONALLY was her forehand.

justine schnyder
Jan 20th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Judging from the stats it was the worst tennis match that ever played, even more than Kuzzy/Chakky in 2007..
Mladenovic had 62(!!!) UE's and 12 (!~!!!)DF's and yet she was in a winning position! :tape: Patty had something like 40 which is not better, and had only 10 winners in a 3 setter/2 hours match which is soooo :tape:.. Even a pusher like Errani would make more winners.. What the hell?!

I'm glad she won but this is disgracful. I'm glad I didn't watch it, watching the SB for a set was frustrating enough.

Her next opponent is Razzano, on a regular basis I'd say Patty should win, but after her latest results, especially this, all I can, just don't humiliate your self.

Keadz, thanks for the report, I hope you had fun :D
Have you taken some pictures?

iPatty
Jan 21st, 2009, 04:32 AM
I'll attribute this great struggle to the winds. It was obvious to me as soon as they started showing the first match on TV and the screens were blowing in the wind that this one wouldn't be as straightforward as we expected. She just becomes useless in windy conditions, like it has never happened to her before.

She and Grönefeld won their first round doubles match today quite easily so she has the rest of the day to prepare for another battle against Razzano tomorrow. Hopefully it's on a TV court.

justine schnyder
Jan 21st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah it' first match on court 6 which is televised.
Damn, until I don't have school tomorrow so I could say up half night, I won't be around to watch or to follow it :sad:
Can anyone upload it please?

Good luck Patty.. Show up what is tennis again!!!

iPatty
Jan 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
I'll give you a small report of the match Neta after I watch it.

Shockingly I found Patty's name in the mixed doubles draw partnering big serving South African Wes Moodie - could be an interesting team. I can't recall her ever playing mixed doubles in my five years of devoting fanship so this will be new. Hopefully she realizes she doesn't have to do much.

iPatty
Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:01 AM
I don't say this often, but :weirdo: retire Patty.

iPatty
Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
I can't give you much of a report Neta, Patty just flat out didn't try in this match and was irritable from the second game. I don't want her to go on like this, it is pathetic loss after another.

justine schnyder
Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Oh dear :help: Horrendous.
I came home just when Razanno had her MP.. Not shocking though :o :( That's just bad :(
Thanks for the report Greg :hug: Sorry you had to watch it though :scared:
But the weirds thing is, tat she said how confident and ready she was (before Hobart). but so far the only thing she seems to be ready for is going home afetr round 1..

Mixed doubles :eek: (I wish it was with Stan or something ;) ) good luck with that..I hope they'll do well and Patty won't tank because of wind or something..

iPatty
Jan 22nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Just read in Keadz's report that Patty burst into tears after her loss - that just crushes me. :sad:

justine schnyder
Jan 22nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Same here :sad: I was so sad for her :sad:
I can critiize her as long as I want, but she still was very sad, AO is one of her favorite tournies I tink, and I'm sure she didn't want an early exit :sad:

(But I'm really wondering if her time is up... If she struggles with her game like Keadz wrote, it's a really bad sign..)

DarkchildSwiss
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:52 PM
oh patty. better luck for the doubles competition.

iPatty
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
Grönefeld/Schnyder (GER/SUI) d. (15)Poutchek/Rodionova (BLR/AUS) 57 63 60 :)

Nice to see her smile, and the crowd was really behind her. Pretty bad match but Poutchek and Rodionova play a pretty strange form of doubles.

justine schnyder
Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:39 AM
:) :awww:

iPatty
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Schnyder/Moodie (SUI/RSA) d. Kleybanova/Soares (RUS/BRA) 63 64 :yeah:

They face top seeds Black/Paes next.

She is playing doubles today on Show Court 3 (aka a TV court) against Safarova/Voskoboeva.

justine schnyder
Jan 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Too warly in the morning for me, if I'll wake up I'll watch.. Good luck! :)

iPatty
Jan 26th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Grönefeld/Schnyder (GER/SUI) d. Safarova/Voskoboeva (CZE/KAZ) 64 67(5) 63 :smash:

Should have closed it out at 64 65* but ALG literally missed five returns in a row on her side of the court. Did an ok job closing it out in the end, even if Patty had an unbelievably bad service game at *21. They looked very happy at the end to get through. :)

Keadz
Jan 26th, 2009, 05:23 AM
If Patty played with any of the aggresion or confidents she has in doubles and is able to tranfer it into singles...she would be top 10.

Ana Lena was pretty much trying to give that match away. Patty probably hit only 2 unforced errors from 3-5 to 6-6 in the third set. Good play by her, but Ana Lena...what a choker.

Anyway, I didn't get to see the end but I hope they played well. They are agaisnt Schiavone and Dellacqua next round for a spot in the semi finals!

justine schnyder
Jan 26th, 2009, 06:33 AM
yay well done girls! :)
Good luck tomorrow, 1st match on Rod Laver (thanks to Dellaqua I guess)
I'll be sleeping, hopefully I'll see nice result in the morning :)

iPatty
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:54 AM
(12)Dellacqua/Schiavone (AUS/ITA) d. Grönefeld/Schnyder (GER/SUI) 06 75 61 :o :o :o

I can't even count the number of times they choked in this match, especially ALG - I thought she was a good doubles player? Could have fooled me. She was tanking by the end of it.

iPatty
Jan 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Schnyder/Moodie (SUI/RSA) d. (1)Black/Paes (ZIM/IND) 61 75 :scratch:

justine schnyder
Jan 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Omg :rolls:

The women doubles.. :smash: Oh dear.. another choke in a match against Dellacqua :o

The mixed :awww: :hearts: so cute! Good luck tonight, I hope I'll wake up! :)

Greg, nice to see you with a Patty avy again :)

iPatty
Jan 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM
It has been a while, hasn't it? :lol:

Nice avatar you've got yourself - I like Cornet but I can't say I'm sad she lost.

I hope I can remember to watch her mixed doubles, it will be the first time it is on early enough for me to watch before bed. I think Black must have been REALLY down after her doubles to lose to Patty and Wes but still a fine win for them. Hope me watching their match tonight won't jinx them.

iPatty
Jan 28th, 2009, 01:46 AM
(7)Medina Garrigues/Robredo (ESP) d. Schnyder/Moodie (SUI/RSA) 57 64 10(10) :rolleyes:

What a return from Moodie when they were MP up. Just horrible.

justine schnyder
Jan 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
They had MP :sobbing:

Damn I set up my clock to wake me up, and I didn't even hear it :tape: just checked the result in the morning.. Shame they lost, but still really nice, considering the only time I've heard about her playing mixed was in an exho match with Ram against Peer and Erlich (In Israel :awww:)
I hope she'll continue playing more mixed, it's not tough matches, it's fun, and some of the teams are really nice..
Now Patty can put AO behind her, practice again about what she needs (and she has a lot to work on if she wants to win some singles match in the main tour..)
Good luck, we're behind you! :)

Btw, both Black and Huber lost their mixed doubles matches after losing in the women doubles..

I love Alize, really nice girl with really good game (which is great to see among the youngsters..). Yeah I understand why you were'nt sorry hen she lost ;) and I hope Dinara will win tomorrow as well, at least for my FITD... :lol: Venus screwed us all :lol: But seriously, after the way se played in YEC and in HK I couldn't see her lose here..

iPatty
Jan 28th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I know what you mean, I had Venus defeating Safina in my FITD too. :lol:

justine schnyder
Jan 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM
what's Patty's next tourny btw? :unsure:

iPatty
Jan 30th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Technically it's Fed Cup against Germany (I can just see the loss to Lisicki coming now...) at home in SUI with Stefi as the #2 singles player. :)

I believe her next actual tournament is Paris so just a couple of week's wait before the next horrible loss.

justine schnyder
Jan 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM
yay :tape:

Germany has become quite strong now, more than last year, with Lisicki improving and ALG coming back on track.. I doubt if Steffi can be the hero this time..

LefandePatty
Feb 1st, 2009, 12:10 AM
Timea is supposed to play :shrug:

justine schnyder
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Oh yeah I saw it too on FC site.. I hope she's ready, she hasn't played for quite a long time..
Matt :wavey: Long time no seen ;)

iPatty
Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:43 PM
I just read that too, not sure if it's the best decision.

Where have you been Matt? Long time no see indeed. :hug: