PDA

View Full Version : Who's going?

stefi62
Nov 21st, 2008, 08:25 PM
As I live not very far, I should go from week end of qualies till the finals on Sunday.
Who else? :wavey:

dreylau
Nov 26th, 2008, 07:12 PM
me of course, for qualies and all the week ;)

Lighter
Dec 5th, 2008, 11:58 PM
First list here: http://www.opengdfsuez.com/open_2008/plateau.html

Les joueuses inscrites à l'Open GDF SUEZ 2009
Serena Williams (USA)
Maria Sharapova (RUS)
Patty Schnyder (SUI)
Alizé Cornet (FRA)
Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP)
Na Li (CHN)
Sybille Bammer (AUT)
Nathalie Dechy (FRA)
Aravane Rezaï (FRA)
Julie Coin (FRA)
Stéphanie Cohen-Aloro (FRA)
Emilie Loit (FRA)
Violette Huck (FRA)

bluepastures
Dec 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I see the online ticket office is also available via the above link. I've just bought my tickets for Monday - Wednesday, as there's money off (10 or 15 Euros cheaper for the premiere seats) if you buy them before mid-January. Oddly, the qualifying weekend deal of 20 Euros for 2 days doesn't appear to be available online (you can buy the individual days for 15 euros online!), though the offer is mentioned. So, I'll buy my qualifying tickets on the Saturday.
You can choose the area of seating (i.e which stand / category) but not specific seats. You can also see which seats you've been allocated, before you have to make payment. Overall it seems a better site than 2008's.

stefi62
Dec 21st, 2008, 07:38 PM
You can easily buy tickets day by day, escept for the last week end usually. That's no big problem really.

jelena_jankovic
Dec 24th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Hi Steffi! I'm just thinking about the tournaments I'd like to visit in 2009...as I don't want to wait until the European clay season - I can't afford flying to Australia or America - Paris is my only chance to see some good tennis early in 2009!
How is the tournament? Do you have a chance to get in touch with the players? And how about (cheap) hotels in Paris?
Would be great, if you could give me some informations about "your" tournament ;-)) Thanks in advance!!

stefi62
Dec 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Good news! I'd be very happy to see you! Plus Vladka seems to like the tourney, she reached the final twice in a row there!
But you'd better be aware: the tournament sucks!!! I mean only two courts, and the second one (mainly for doubles) is so cold I can never go there without getting a cold). But that court allows you to be very close to the players when they practice there. Which means you can talk to almost every player during the week.
And also there is only one entrance for players, so you see them there as well. But it's run by French people so that's .... But usually we have good draws both in singles and doubles.

Cheap hotels in Paris, well, that's not very easy. Let me check and I'll give you info in PM about cheap hotels close to Coubertin.

bluepastures
Dec 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I personally think it's a brilliant tournament, which is why 2009 will be my 6th year in succession attending it! At least the 2 courts are very close to each other, unlike in Antwerp for example, where they were about 400-500 metres walk!
You'll struggle to get much below 70 Euros per night close to the tennis (you can pay around that price on a couple of decent small hotels which I've stayed at before on Rue Boileau, 5 minutes walk from the tennis called Hotel Boileau which has a website at http://www.hotel-boileau.com/en/welcome.html and Hotel Exelmans). I'm paying quite a bit more than that next year at a Mercure the other side of Porte Saint Cloud from the tennis.
If you look for the cheap Etap brand of hotels at http://www.anrdoezrs.net/image-3176251-10438468http://www.accorhotels.com (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-3176251-10438468?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.accorhotels.com) you should get it lower priced than that, but you'll have to get local trains to reach the tennis, as you'd inevitably be staying on the outskirts of Paris. I guess another option is youth hostels.
Just looking at www.expedia.co.uk (http://www.expedia.co.uk) , they have a few around the 45 range that are probably around 45 minutes from the tennis on the metro.
Stefi, about seats, yes you can always get tickets, but the best seats ("Premiere") are sometimes sold out for the Tuesday or Wednesday before the opening weekend. Although they're much expensive, I think the premiere seats are more comfortable too, especially if it's a long evening session!

stefi62
Dec 24th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I personally think it's a brilliant tournament, which is why 2009 will be my 6th year in succession attending it! At least the 2 courts are very close to each other, unlike in Antwerp for example, where they were about 400-500 metres walk!
You'll struggle to get much below 70 Euros per night close to the tennis (you can pay around that price on a couple of decent small hotels which I've stayed at before on Rue Boileau, 5 minutes walk from the tennis called Hotel Boileau which has a website at http://www.hotel-boileau.com/en/welcome.html and Hotel Exelmans). I'm paying quite a bit more than that next year at a Mercure the other side of Porte Saint Cloud from the tennis.
If you look for the cheap Etap brand of hotels at http://www.anrdoezrs.net/image-3176251-10438468http://www.accorhotels.com (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-3176251-10438468?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.accorhotels.com) you should get it lower priced than that, but you'll have to get local trains to reach the tennis, as you'd inevitably be staying on the outskirts of Paris. I guess another option is youth hostels.
Just looking at www.expedia.co.uk (http://www.expedia.co.uk) , they have a few around the 45 range that are probably around 45 minutes from the tennis on the metro.
Stefi, about seats, yes you can always get tickets, but the best seats ("Premiere") are sometimes sold out for the Tuesday or Wednesday before the opening weekend. Although they're much expensive, I think the premiere seats are more comfortable too, especially if it's a long evening session!

You're right, courts are close to one other, but really the second court is terrible. And almost nothing to eat in the premise, that's truly one of the worst tourneys I've attended for that. And I'm not talking about the bathrooms! :tape: And honestly, center court is so small compared to Zurich, or Linz, or Stuttgart... which means you're close to players actually, so that's not that bad!
About hotels, well, I guess you know better, because of course when you live around, you cannot really know about that. Anyway if you need any help (with French maybe) just ask. :wavey:
For tickets, you're right, but once again, as I am more interested in doubles than singles, I really don't care so much about where I'll be seating on center court. That's why that's no problem for me to buy tickets day by day.

jelena_jankovic
Dec 25th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Wow thanks a lot for all the information! Okay so I better keep my expectations a little bit low ;-)
I guess I'm a little bit spoiled with the German tournaments...haha
Yeah Vladka did very well here...ok she was a little bit lucky too ;-)
She is the main reason for coming! Hope she does well again with a strong partner!!!

I've just booked my flight! So just have to find a place to stay...

Merry x-mas :-)

bluepastures
Dec 25th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Agree about the second court. It isn't exactly comfortable, and its about 5c colder than centre court. A bit annoying for taking photos that you're the opposite side from where the players are sitting too. Another thing worth mentioning for people going for the first time, is that seating on centre court is completely unrestricted for the qualifying weekend (i.e anyone can sit in the "premiere" seats right at the front on the umpire / players seats side of the court).
I live on the hot dogs whilst I'm at the tennis, and leave proper food for once I leave in the evening! My favourite bar / restaurant in the area is Cafe Bruxelles adjacent to Exelmans metro station. It's better value than the ones around Porte St Cloud.
Not been to Zurich, Linz or Stuttgart so can't compare! Might go to Linz for a few days for the 2009 tournament next October though.

Steveg
Dec 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm paying quite a bit more than that next year at a Mercure the other side of Porte Saint Cloud from the tennis.

Is it the Mercure Hotel where the players are usually staying? It is extremely close to the Pierre de Coubertin Stadium.

Premiere seats are great indeed, provided you don't get those just behind the umpire. It is better to check the seat placement at time of booking (either by viewing the seats on internet, or by asking at the sales person in case of phone reservations).

bluepastures
Dec 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
SteveG, I don't know if the Mercure is the tournament hotel. It's certainly close to the venue. About 500m away to the South-West of the venue per the website. Paid roughly 80 per night as a package deal (including Eurostar) at the time, timed well, as the exchange rate of the pound against the Euro has worsened considerably since I booked it!
No, my premiere seats are to the right of the second block from the left, i.e close to the left baseline. Good for a view of the boxes, and as players come on / off court too.

stefi62
Dec 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I think that the official hotel for the Indoors tournament is on the Champs Elysées, so not next to the venue. During RG though, some players stay in an hotel next to Coubertin, but not the Mercure.

^bibi^
Dec 27th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I'll be there :p and I've found a great hotel but it's already full :haha:

stefi62
Dec 27th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I'll be there :p and I've found a great hotel but it's already full :haha:

Sure, all beds full! ;)

Steveg
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM
SteveG, I don't know if the Mercure is the tournament hotel. It's certainly close to the venue. About 500m away to the South-West of the venue per the website. Paid roughly 80 per night as a package deal (including Eurostar) at the time, timed well, as the exchange rate of the pound against the Euro has worsened considerably since I booked it!
No, my premiere seats are to the right of the second block from the left, i.e close to the left baseline. Good for a view of the boxes, and as players come on / off court too.
Bluepasture, yes, it is the hotel where a few players were staying the previous years. With some luck, you'll have breakfast in good company.
Good hotel, good seating. You will certainly enjoy your stay :)

bluepastures
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Did anyone else order their tickets online, from the billeterie accessed via the official site? When were the tickets sent out? I ordered mine on 6th December, although the payment didn't show on my credit card statement until a few days later. The tickets haven't arrived yet, so I think I'll have to email them towards the end of next week, if they don't arrive before then. I've got my email confirmation too as proof of purchase.

dreylau
Jan 9th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Did anyone else order their tickets online, from the billeterie accessed via the official site? When were the tickets sent out? I ordered mine on 6th December, although the payment didn't show on my credit card statement until a few days later. The tickets haven't arrived yet, so I think I'll have to email them towards the end of next week, if they don't arrive before then. I've got my email confirmation too as proof of purchase.

I'm sure you will find your tickets soon.

bluepastures
Jan 10th, 2009, 09:09 PM
My previous post had the desired effect, as my tickets arrived this morning :D

JujulCactus
Jan 11th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I'll be there on sunday of qualies :)

Dexter
Jan 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I'll be there :p and I've found a great hotel but it's already full :haha:I'm sure you'll sneak into some bed! :devil:

stefi62
Jan 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I'm sure you'll sneak into some bed! :devil:

Sure he will, MINE!!!! :p:lol:

lover_of_myskina
Jan 28th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I'm going from tuesday to friday :bounce:

But I haven't received my tickets yet...:confused: (i ordered them december 8th)
Perhaps I have to take them at the Coubertin Stadium...

(last year, I had the same problem... I had chosen postal shipment in my order, but i never received any ticket and I had to take them the first day at the Coubertin entry office)

^bibi^
Jan 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I'm sure you'll sneak into some bed! :devil:

How about yours ? :lol: :p

Sure he will, MINE!!!! :p:lol:

Of course darling, though wasn't I suppose to share it with *Jool* ? Looks like a tennisforum orgy :haha:

Good thing my bf won't read this :angel:

stefi62
Jan 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
How about yours ? :lol: :p

Of course darling, though wasn't I suppose to share it with *Jool* ? Looks like a tennisforum orgy :haha:

Good thing my bf won't read this :angel:

What about switchinh beds every night? :lick:

^bibi^
Jan 28th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I'm there for 9 nights... sounds like fun :lol:

stefi62
Jan 30th, 2009, 08:20 AM
If some of you want to meet or may need help when in paris, I can give you my phone number, just send me a PM.

MistyGrey
Jan 31st, 2009, 06:04 PM
I want to go, since I'll be free during the entire week... But I will only go if there is any chance of seeing Mary there...:lol: I know she was there last year, so Stefi,if you have an inside news about Mary... plz let me know...
:wavey:

nevetssllim
Jan 31st, 2009, 08:25 PM
I'm going for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday :) BTW, I only booked my tickets yesterday so are they likely to arrive in time or will I have to fetch them from the box office.

I'm in category two - what sort of view am I likely to expect?

Thanks!

nevetssllim
Jan 31st, 2009, 08:25 PM
I'm going for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday :) BTW, I only booked my tickets yesterday so are they likely to arrive in time or will I have to fetch them from the box office.

I'm in category two - what sort of view am I likely to expect?

Thanks!

stefi62
Feb 1st, 2009, 01:43 PM
I want to go, since I'll be free during the entire week... But I will only go if there is any chance of seeing Mary there...:lol: I know she was there last year, so Stefi,if you have an inside news about Mary... plz let me know...
:wavey:

I doubt she is here, she is probably in Mauritius but have no tip about it so far! :wavey:

Dodoboy.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
I'm thinking of going to Paris for the semis and final.

fresh2flash
Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
I was really looking forward to going there, but with Sharapova out this desire was somehow reduced. Still I think I will go for at least one day - Tuesday. semis and final depending on the players involved.

Jarl_02
Feb 6th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Is Chakvetadze going to defend her title here??

go_russia
Feb 6th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Is Chakvetadze going to defend her title here??

no

jelena_jankovic
Feb 7th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I will be there from Sunday to Thursday!

So happy that JJ is here :-)))

And of course I have to find a way to get Vladka back on track...haha

manutoo
Feb 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
going for finals :)