PDA

View Full Version : Should a Moderator behave like this?

Willam
Oct 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I was shocked when i saw this post from a Moderator not only because offended the poster, and offended all us who belive in God, but also offended God himself. It's a shame you don't belive in God however i respect you, and you should respect us too.

I hope such a behaviour like this gets punished. I reported it, Nothing yet tho. so i post it here so everyone can see what kind of MOD is this.

(i hope the other mods dont lock/delete the thread just so people can't see what actually happens around)

"He" was having sex with your mother and created your body and soul? That's amazing :eek:

Avid Merrion
Oct 25th, 2008, 09:29 PM
if you reported it, it will get looked at.
posting about it in here just smacks of attention seeking imo.

*awaits lockdown* :)

Sally Struthers
Oct 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
compared to some places, the mods here are wonderful for the most part!

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=360921

:sobbing:

In The Zone
Oct 25th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Mods are allowed to have opinions and participate on the board.

-sugi-
Oct 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Even so, as a christian I found it offensive.

However, I would like to see the quote in its actual context.

Callum
Oct 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
It was a joke. Sure in slightly bad taste, but it made me laugh a little.
If the thread starter wanted to open a thread basically baiting atheists, then they deserve this kinda response IMO.

Slutati
Oct 26th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Oh please :rolleyes:
It's a stupid thread anyway

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 26th, 2008, 01:05 AM

yet christians are told to have respect for persons who don't believe in our God (so we don't offend), and this is what people are allowed to say about OUR GOD....really???

-sugi-
Oct 26th, 2008, 01:32 AM
There is a difference between having an opinion and being offensive and that crossed the line.

Aaron.
Oct 26th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Most of the mods are assholes admins dont do shit though...

mckyle.
Oct 26th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Mods are corrupt.

Had to get that in before closing.

Aaron.
Oct 26th, 2008, 04:56 AM
yep and another one

MODS YOU SUCK.

Lefty.
Oct 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM
So when one mod does something that you don't like, all mods suck? :o

In The Zone
Oct 26th, 2008, 05:15 AM
There is a difference between having an opinion and being offensive and that crossed the line.

I agree. But I don't think that crossed the line. The post was rather harmless but because he is a mod it's more offensive? There are people who have faith and people who don't. I do have faith but there should be an open discussion, LIKE A FORUM, to discuss such a faith.

It's only offensive if you want it to be offensive. Tolerance and no judgment is what my God preaches. Although I disagree, he is free to say that.

TheFifthAvocado
Oct 26th, 2008, 05:17 AM
yet christians are told to have respect for persons who don't believe in our God (so we don't offend), and this is what people are allowed to say about OUR GOD....really???

Telling us who don't believe in God that we'll be sent to an inferno as sinners for eternity is pretty offensive. You can choose to take offense from any comment that doesn't follow your wisdom.

Either way, what else do you expect in a thread that was created for the sole purpose of provoking those who disagree with the thread opener? :smash:

Pasta-Na
Oct 26th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I was shocked when i saw this post from a Moderator not only because offended the poster, and offended all us who belive in God, but also offended God himself. It's a shame you don't belive in God however i respect you, and you should respect us too.

I hope such a behaviour like this gets punished. I reported it, Nothing yet tho. so i post it here so everyone can see what kind of MOD is this.

(i hope the other mods dont lock/delete the thread just so people can't see what actually happens around)

probably the mod assumes ur mom's name called mary... and u r jesus? :p

Golovinjured.
Oct 26th, 2008, 07:12 AM
So when one mod does something that you don't like, all mods suck? :o

You don't suck, Viv :hug:

AlexSydney isn't really even a mod though, Tennis Australia/NZ never needs moderating.. so boring in there

:zzz:

Golovinjured.
Oct 26th, 2008, 07:13 AM
^^^^^

except for Dokic's Domain :angel:

VishaalMaria
Oct 26th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Moderators are normal people, and as normal people they are allowed to make mistakes such as this. We all get into petty arguments and sometimes WTAworld can bring out the worst in us; obviously in an ideal world moderators shouldn't be making such statements but unfortunately this isn't an ideal world so we should really let minor things go.

Personally if I felt offended by a post a moderator had made, I'd PM them and try and sort it out that way. I wouldn't name and shame them because that is really harsh, especially over one comment.

Willam
Oct 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I agree. But I don't think that crossed the line. The post was rather harmless but because he is a mod it's more offensive? There are people who have faith and people who don't. I do have faith but there should be an open discussion, LIKE A FORUM, to discuss such a faith.

It's only offensive if you want it to be offensive. Tolerance and no judgment is what my God preaches. Although I disagree, he is free to say that.

No, but if they go around banning people and telling them what's correct and what's not well, they should behave themselves, at the very least.

Joke or not, it's very offensive, especially when you put God in any sexual act or something like that. :o

-sugi-
Oct 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM

I don't believe I wrote that I found it offensive because it was written by a mod? And I agree with Tzar, as a mod they should be an example to all. I don't want to be offended, but then again people find different things offensive and have different views. I don't understand why someone would actually even want something to be offensive. Yes, everyone can participate in fruitful debate on a forum and be open in their views but that crossed the line in my opinion.

I've reported it too last night and I can't help but feel that action isn't being taken simply because he is a moderator.

Zamboni
Oct 26th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I don't believe I wrote that I found it offensive because it was written by a mod? And I agree with Tzar, as a mod they should be an example to all. I don't want to be offended, but then again people find different things offensive and have different views. I don't understand why someone would actually even want something to be offensive. Yes, everyone can participate in fruitful debate on a forum and be open in their views but that crossed the line in my opinion.

I've reported it too last night and I can't help but feel that action isn't being taken simply because he is a moderator.
That's certainly not true.

I'm not religious myself so I obviously look at the post differently than religious people, but I do agree it's tasteless. However, it's clearly meant as a joke, and IMO not "bad" enough to delete. We don't delete everything someone may find offensive, we'd be left with an empty board. If any other mod/admin disagrees with me, they are welcome to delete it though.

One thing I want to make clear is that mods are also posters like any other posters. We have opinions, and can post them like everyone else. That also means that any reported posts from mods are treated like any other reported posts.

Willam
Oct 26th, 2008, 10:43 AM
That's certainly not true.

I'm not religious myself so I obviously look at the post differently than religious people, but I do agree it's tasteless. However, it's clearly meant as a joke, and IMO not "bad" enough to delete. We don't delete everything someone may find offensive, we'd be left with an empty board. If any other mod/admin disagrees with me, they are welcome to delete it though.

One thing I want to make clear is that mods are also posters like any other posters. We have opinions, and can post them like everyone else. That also means that any reported posts from mods are treated like any other reported posts.

Well Linda, since you're not religious you can't see HOW OFFENSIVE, that post is.

God + Sex + Someones mom = :weirdo: :smash: :scared: :bolt:

Boreas
Oct 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM
It is obviously cynical response on a retarded thread question made by whoelse but SweetCleo. His/her post is way less offensive than those from the thread starter.:o

Medina
Oct 26th, 2008, 12:11 PM
That is an offensive comment towards all that are religious such as tzar, sugi and myself. See the problem we see is that the mods are the ones who run the board and usualy lock threds or delete comments as such. Mods should know whats right from right, and wrong from wrong. And that comment was called for, which obviously started this thread. I honestly saw that post and was shoked to even see someone post that, and plus it was a mod which made the case even worst. Mods should look into that moderator, he doesnt even do anything in the Aus/NZ forum also as prooven acted in a very immature way with this comment recently.

Kart
Oct 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I think not. There's nothing further to discuss here that hasn't been covered before.

Starting threads that name and bash specific posters are unacceptable and are almost always removed. I don't see why moderators should be an exception.

I am a man of faith but I don't think the comment was any more offensive than anything I see on here daily. It was clearly meant in jest as others have pointed out already. However, given the way -sugi- has argued his/her point, after talking to my colleagues, we've agreed to remove it.

In future, you should PM the forum moderator if you wish to discuss something, that's what they're there for. Threads like this one will be closed without comment.

For the record though, the thread in question is a badly worded, patronising thread from a poster with a history of making controversial remarks and causing offence to several other posters, regularly maintaining that it's unintentional yet conveniently disappearing when she's subject to scrutiny. I'm not surprised she's received a series of sarcastic derisive replies.

If you want to put a stop to people insulting your religion, I'd suggest you give her some constructive feedback on her posting style. I support posters' rights to praise religion however I also support other posters' rights to mock it.