PDA

View Full Version : 2008 ITA Regionals

Tennisace
Oct 16th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Northwest
Singles: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stan/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/thrusundaysingles.pdf
Doubles:http://gostanford.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/stan/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/depth-chart

Central
Singles: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/utah/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/SinglesResults-FINAL.pdf
Champion: Wiveca Swarting (Nebraska)
Finalist: Anouk Tigu (Arkansas)

Doubles: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/utah/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/DoublesDraw-FINAL.pdf
Champion: Nanar Airapetian/Anouk Tigu (Arkansas)

tucker1989
Oct 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Wow, that's a huge draw. Some great players in there, so I can't wait to see what happens. Can't wait to see what the Northeast draw looks like!

Tennisace
Oct 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Wow, that's a huge draw. Some great players in there, so I can't wait to see what happens. Can't wait to see what the Northeast draw looks like!

There are a lot of dangerous floaters in the Northwest draw: Veronica Li, Denise Dy, Samantha Smith are some examples. Most of them are freshman which makes them an even bigger question mark.

Tennisace
Oct 20th, 2008, 02:53 AM
The Central Regional has crowned it's winners and participants in the ITA Indoors as well.

Fresno State's Melanie Gloria and California's Bojana Bobusic will play for the Northwest Regional title.

tucker1989
Oct 21st, 2008, 01:44 AM
http://www.pennathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=1607938&DB_OEM_ID=1700

At the bottom of the article it has a list of all of the players. I'm really excited to see McHale and Bartlett, as well as Schmidt and Hardenbergh, who just took the title at $10K St. Louis!

gouci
Oct 21st, 2008, 06:15 AM
#12 Gloria - Fresno St. def. #65 Bobusic - Cal 6-3,6-2 in the singles finals.

#8 Petukhova/Kucerkova - Fresno St. def. #1 Gloria/Rowe - Fresno St. 8-4 in the doubles finals.

Upsets

Kamendova - Wash. St. def. Hansen - Stanford 6-3,2-6,6-1.

Wong - Cal Poly def. #86 Rowe - Fresno St. 3-6,6-3,6-3.

#65 Bobusic - Cal def. #16 Petukhova - Fresno St. 6-4,6-4.

Juricova - Cal def. #48 Burdette - Stanford 6-3,6-2.

#62 Heinser - USF def. #28 Chan - Washington 6-2,7-5.

#65 Bobusic - Cal def. #21 Zheltova - Sac. St. 6-1,6-4.

#65 Bobusic - Cal def. #4 Barte - Stanford 7-6,3-6,7-5.

#12 Gloria - Fresno St. def. #7 Cassou - Cal 3-6,7-5,6-1.

tucker1989
Oct 26th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Ok, so I went down to the tennis center today and yesterday to watch some of the tennis, which continues through Tuesday, and I'll just give some notes

- I saw all 3 Princeton freshmen and I'd say the order will probably be McHale, Bartlett, Saiontz. McHale is just really solid. She hits a deep, heavy ball, moves well, has a formidable serve, and can actually volley. She breezed through her first two rounds, but had a little trouble closing out Herzberg from Brown. Bartlett is a close second. She hits a flatter, harder shot, but she also moves well and isn't afraid to move in. Saiontz is a glorified pusher. She is really fast, but she doesn't put much pace on the ball. She lost to Amir from Maryland in the 2nd round, 7-6 in the third, after leading 5-2 in the third and holding a match point, and she was a complete mess afterwards, crying and saying that she was afraid to win the match.

- The top seeds looked good. Kellie Schmitt is a really complete player. She moves well, hits flat and deep, has a strong serve and stays focused throughout. She has had no problems moving into the 4th round, where she plays McHale in what may be the defacto final. Ragini Acharya hits the hell out of the ball, but she can mix it up too, and she looked solid today. Katarina Zoricic had more problems, just looking like she didn't really want to be on the court, but she made it through and plays her 3rd round match later today.

- I was really excited to see Lindsey Hardenbergh from UVA, who just won a $10K last week, but I was pretty disappointed. In the first game, she hit an ace, a service winner, and 2 groundstroke winners, so I thought it was going to be quick, but Gajic from Boston College had other ideas. This was definitely the match of the day, as both girls were really creaming the ball. Hardenbergh finally prevailed 4-6 6-4 7-6(4) after well over two hours, closing the match the same way she started it, with an ace. Her serve, both first and second, is great, and her groundstrokes are solid, but she was really inconsistent today, and she was losing most of the long rallys. It will be interesting to see if she gets through her next match, and then she would have Zoricic.

- The hardest hitters I saw were Brouwer from VA Tech, Eleanor Peters from Maryland, and Acharya. Of those, Peters probably hit it the hardest, and she definitely hit some breathtaking shots against Molly Scott from Dartmouth, but she was wildly inconsistent and really emotional.

- The best freshmen I saw were the aforementioned McHale and Bartlett, as well as Emily Fraser from UVA, who has a gorgeous one-handed backhand, and Stefanie Nunic from Boston University, who seemed really focused and had really nice strokes.

- It was nice to see Christina McHale, fresh off a $25K semifinal finish yesterday in Augusta, there to support her sister. Actually, Lauren had quite the support system, with about 7 friends/family members cheering her on.

- Does anyone know anything about Harijanto from Buffalo? She had to qualify for the main draw, but she looked solid and was playing Stevens from UVA when I left. She's Indonesian, but she bears a striking resemblance to Na Li

- I'll definitely go back tomorrow and hopefully on Tuesday. Let me know if you have any questions or requests of players to look out for.

tucker1989
Oct 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Another good day of tennis today, with the 4th round and quarters of singles and the quarters and semis of doubles.

Singles 4R:

McHale (Princeton) [16] d. Schmitt (Marshall) [1] 0-6 6-1 6-2
Fraser (UVA) [9] d. Kim (Yale) [8] in straight sets
Acharya (W&M) [3] d. Zhang (Rutgers) [17] in straight sets
Kransnopolsky (BC) [6] d. Rales (UVA) [12] in straight sets

Stevens (UVA) [5] d. Scott (Dartmouth [15] in two easy sets
Cash (BC) d. Kosminskaya (Penn) [4] 7-5 6-4
Aboubakare (Brown) [7] d. Duran (Richmond) [10] 7-5 6-4
Zoricic (W&M) [2] d. Hardenbergh (UVA) [17] 6-3 2-6 6-4 (I think)

QF:

McHale d. Fraser 7-5 6-1
Acharya d. Kransnopolsky 6-4 6-3
Cash d. Stevens 6-1 6-2
and Zoricic and Aboubakare were still playing when I left. Zoricic won the first set 6-3, and Aboubakare led 4-2 in the second

In doubles, Old Dominion (Harrhoff/Fahoum) play UVA (Fraser/Stevens) in the final

Tomorrow should be interesting, but McHale looked so good today, and I think she's gonna take the title. I wouldn't count out Cash, though. She's unseeded and improving tremendously with each match. She absolutely crushed Stevens today, and I think she could play even better. I can't wait to see what happens!

Edit: The website lists Aboubakare as the winner against Zoricic 6-4 7-5, but I'm not convinced of the accuracy of that result. When I go down there tomorrow, I'll check it out.

tucker1989
Oct 28th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I just got back from the semi's and the doubles final

Singles Semifinals:

Acharya (William & Mary) [3] d. McHale (Princeton) [16] 6-4 6-2
Aboubakare (Brown) [7] d. Cash (Boston College) 6-2 2-6 6-4

I'm not sure if I'll go back for the final. It's close by, but the weather here is absolutely disgusting, and I'm pretty confident that Acharya will take the title, although I'd prefer Aboubakare.

Doubles Final:

Old Dominion (Harrhoff/Fahoum) d. UVA (Stevens/Fraser) 8-4

gouci
Oct 29th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Terrific reports tucker1989.

Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Alison Ramos (USC) 6-7,7-5,7-5. Singles final.

Maria Sanchez/Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Michaela Hein/Kelcey McKenna (ASU) 8-3. Doubles final.

- Maria Sanchez wins both the singles and doubles title. Will Sanchez be USC's new #1 singles player?

tucker1989
Oct 29th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Thanks a lot gouci!

I actually just came in here to post the result of the final, which went as I expected.

Northeast Regional Singles Final:

Acharya (William & Mary) [3] d. Aboubakare (Brown) [7] 6-0 6-2

Good luck to both ladies at nationals. With a good draw, Aboubakare could take a match or two, but I think her game, which is awesome and unusual, is better suited to outdoor courts. Acharya, on the other hand, has the big serve and strong strokes to succeed on an indoor court, so I could see her pulling an upset or two. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they do!

tennis_pIayer
Oct 29th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Congrats to USC which had a realy strong showing at regionals, kicking the ass of ucla and asu.
Congrats to Sanchez who wins singles and doubles
congrats to fansler who beat #1 player McKenna who won the year's first grand slam in 3 sets, and Johansson a top seeded player.
Congrats to ramos a freshman who beat Schnack, steinberg, among others.
USC will probably have it's lineup be:
1: Amanda Fink, played #2 last year and def has the most experience. shy away from the biggest stage, but ery scrappy and fast player. she won the consolation at the first grand salm beating great players like gloria.
2. Sanchez: sophomore, but has had a great year so far, taking the consoolation title beating players like Ormand, and winning the regionals. Huge game, big serve, groundies, great volleys. Just needs consistency and better mental.
3. fansler: junior yr, had similar yr to Fink, who came out so strong as freshman and won National rookie of the year, and had a horrible slump as a sophomore. Now playing much better with purpose (also has a new bf i think). I mean she beat the #1 player McKenna in the country at regionals!
4. Ramos: less experience than the others, short, bt probably very scrappy. she's had some huge wins already beating steinberg and schnack. she'll get to play at indoors bt her game probably won't be suited to that surface. She'll be lockdown at #4 though.
5. Niculescu: played #3 last year for us, but she's not fit at all. good feel and forehand, good volleys and doubles player, but horrible serve. She will be strong here.
6. Ehtekahbi: played #6 last year and was almost undefeated. Expect the same this year as long as she's healthy. Great serve, fast, and huge top spin. not afraid to take ball out of the air. Alll she needs is to be more aggressive w/ her huge spin on fh and she will go undefeated again at this position.

The best teams will def be Georgia, Cal, Usc, Miami, stanford.

Tennisace
Oct 29th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Congrats to USC which had a realy strong showing at regionals, kicking the ass of ucla and asu.
Congrats to Sanchez who wins singles and doubles
congrats to fansler who beat #1 player McKenna who won the year's first grand slam in 3 sets, and Johansson a top seeded player.
Congrats to ramos a freshman who beat Schnack, steinberg, among others.
USC will probably have it's lineup be:
1: Amanda Fink, played #2 last year and def has the most experience. shy away from the biggest stage, but ery scrappy and fast player. she won the consolation at the first grand salm beating great players like gloria.
2. Sanchez: sophomore, but has had a great year so far, taking the consoolation title beating players like Ormand, and winning the regionals. Huge game, big serve, groundies, great volleys. Just needs consistency and better mental.
3. fansler: junior yr, had similar yr to Fink, who came out so strong as freshman and won National rookie of the year, and had a horrible slump as a sophomore. Now playing much better with purpose (also has a new bf i think). I mean she beat the #1 player McKenna in the country at regionals!
4. Ramos: less experience than the others, short, bt probably very scrappy. she's had some huge wins already beating steinberg and schnack. she'll get to play at indoors bt her game probably won't be suited to that surface. She'll be lockdown at #4 though.
5. Niculescu: played #3 last year for us, but she's not fit at all. good feel and forehand, good volleys and doubles player, but horrible serve. She will be strong here.
6. Ehtekahbi: played #6 last year and was almost undefeated. Expect the same this year as long as she's healthy. Great serve, fast, and huge top spin. not afraid to take ball out of the air. Alll she needs is to be more aggressive w/ her huge spin on fh and she will go undefeated again at this position.

The best teams will def be Georgia, Cal, Usc, Miami, stanford.

Don't forget Baylor and Texas.