PDA

View Full Version : How are you at tennis?

Shafanovic.
Oct 14th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Here, you can tell us about how you play tennis, how many times you play a week, competition scores if you play them, or just any scores even if you just play a friendly match.

Let me start off.

I'm a... "ballbasher" but I can play good defence when I need to. I can volley pretty well. Two hander backhand and prefer the backhand side. Good serve when it's on. I like to slide on clay and synthetic grass, not quiet a split since I am a guy, but close enough. Until about 2 months ago, I used two hand forehand since I was having trouble with my shoulder but it's healed now. And I use a Prince Speedport White.

Matches that I can remember:
5 setter with my friend [friendly match]: 2-6 6-1 1-6 6-2 7-6[8]

Last match I played: 6-4 6-3

I'm playing again tomorrow. Will post results after.

Mateo Mathieu
Oct 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I stopped play competition since around March. I got sick of it. I'm not plan to go back again. I'll play tennis for just fun, that's all.

Kworb
Oct 14th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I have never played tennis. :o

youizahoe
Oct 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I have never played tennis. :o

I'll teach you.

VishaalMaria
Oct 14th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I'd like to get started up again.

Kworb
Oct 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'll teach you.

Alright. :)

Optima
Oct 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'm alright; I mainly just play with friends, or kids from my high school team I know...I tend to hit A LOT of balls long. My forehand is better definitely, which is weird because somehow unconsciously I prefer players who just happen to have a better backhand - sometimes I switch from a double handed backhand to a one handed backhand for no reason at all - just which one I feel like hitting. I play around twice a week. It's really fun and a great workout.

CanadianBoy21
Oct 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I am quick around the court, and can do splits to get the ball back. I hit swing volleys to end the point and backhand and forehand are solid, especially backhand. I have no volley so I come rarely to the net, only if I have to. I miss a lot of first serve, but my second serve is pretty strong and kicks up. I'm a lefty as well.

Dodoboy.
Oct 14th, 2008, 06:54 PM
When i am playing my best noone can beat me. I understand the serve so well, returns and my own. I read serves really well.

youizahoe
Oct 14th, 2008, 07:36 PM
When i am playing my best noone can beat me. I understand the serve so well, returns and my own. I read serves really well.

Lets try my serve, you can't read mine, I use different swings all the time to serve and make angles :p

mirzalover
Oct 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I like to think I'm like a fast version of Mary Pierce. I can do everything well but I mostly only have to stay at the baseline and outhit people. I play 5 days a week, I usually have 1 amazing day, 1 horrible lose to anybody day, 3 normal hit some great shot miss some easy shots days. My backhand down the line is my best shot, I love to hit swinging volleys. I'm very fast but I have horrible footwork, I can do the Kim and Jelena splits.

eugreene2
Oct 14th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I like to think I'm like a fast version of Mary Pierce. I can do everything well but I mostly only have to stay at the baseline and outhit people. I play 5 days a week, I usually have 1 amazing day, 1 horrible lose to anybody day, 3 normal hit some great shot miss some easy shots days. My backhand down the line is my best shot, I love to hit swinging volleys. I very fast but I have horrible footwork, I can do the Kim and Jelena splits.

You have no bizness doing splits ... on the other hand (bad thought) lol

I play 2 or 3 times a week. I am a true ball basher. I hit everything hard and am forever running around my backhand to to hit another rocket forehand. With my speed & power, when I'm on it's lights out but when I'm not, I can be down 0-4 in a heartbeat. :lol:

mirzalover
Oct 14th, 2008, 08:29 PM
You have no bizness doing splits ... on the other hand (bad thought) lol

I play 2 or 3 times a week. I am a true ball basher. I hit everything hard and am forever running around my backhand to to hit another rocket forehand. With my speed & power, when I'm on it's lights out but when I'm not, I can be down 0-4 in a heartbeat. :lol:

They come in handy, ask Novak he can do them to...:tape:

Dodoboy.
Oct 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I was just talking to someone i beat a few weeks ago, and according to him ' i am a pusher with no weapons, who relies on the opponent to make mistakes, all i do is push the forehand in'

:rolls:

eugreene2
Oct 14th, 2008, 09:02 PM
They come in handy, ask Novak he can do them to...:tape:

Novak doesn't deserve this type of treatment. :lol:

youizahoe
Oct 14th, 2008, 09:07 PM
OOh speedy players, I wanna find some of those, I want somebody to challenge me like Jelena Jankovic can :hearts:

Demska
Oct 14th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I hit pretty flat of both wings.

Forehand is hit very flat most of the times, can add topspin easily tho. Often Lassu the forehand too, mainly for going CC and normal technique for DTL or straight. Make more winners off my FH but more errors too.

BH I use to build the point. Kind of a sideways take back like Chakky. Make less winners but less errors on it, love to hit DTL BH (my fave shot) but don't often pull it off so often hit it CC for consistency.

Serve can be a liability, although recently I went back to my old serve and it's good now, 1st serves I guess around 90-100mph and 2nd serve probably middle to low 70's. 1st serve % can dip some times.

I'm really know at my club and my friends for my FH though, and how flat and hard I can hit it, but too on my backhand. Net skills aren't very good but I like coming to the net and finishing off easy volleys though.

I'm quite fast too, can take one hand off the racket and place slice in trouble, like approaching on slice BH too. Don't tend to slice my FH unless I'm pulled out wide and need to hit a squash shot with it.

I play a lot. At least 3 times a week for about 2 hours each time, I love ball bashing too :lol: Started when I was about 5, playing properly for about 3 years

Demska
Oct 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Oh, I use Babolat Pure Storm 07 model with Pro Ballistic Strings :D

Reckoner
Oct 14th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I really started earlier this summer.

I had played a couple of games, but nothing seriously.

I've got a decent serve (finally), and I love to play the net.

I feel my backhand is pretty good, though hitting on my forehand feels a bit awkward, so sometimes I go with a two handed forehand.

mirzalover
Oct 14th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I hit pretty flat of both wings.

Forehand is hit very flat most of the times, can add topspin easily tho. Often Lassu the forehand too, mainly for going CC and normal technique for DTL or straight. Make more winners off my FH but more errors too.

BH I use to build the point. Kind of a sideways take back like Chakky. Make less winners but less errors on it, love to hit DTL BH (my fave shot) but don't often pull it off so often hit it CC for consistency.

Serve can be a liability, although recently I went back to my old serve and it's good now, 1st serves I guess around 90-100mph and 2nd serve probably middle to low 70's. 1st serve % can dip some times.

I'm really know at my club and my friends for my FH though, and how flat and hard I can hit it, but too on my backhand. Net skills aren't very good but I like coming to the net and finishing off easy volleys though.

I'm quite fast too, can take one hand off the racket and place slice in trouble, like approaching on slice BH too. Don't tend to slice my FH unless I'm pulled out wide and need to hit a squash shot with it.

I play a lot. At least 3 times a week for about 2 hours each time, I love ball bashing too :lol: Started when I was about 5, playing properly for about 3 years

Your game especially your serve sounds a lot like Elena D's

shap_half
Oct 14th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I'm really just an inconsistent "all-arounder" who can't serve, but will try to run down every single ball. I've never really learned how to play so I'm pretty substandard. I like to slice and hit down the lines. In fact, I don't know how to hit cross courts.

Geisha
Oct 14th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I've been playing for eight years with my brother.

For about four or five years, we played all-year round. Most summers, we play every day or every second day. I'm a "shawty", so I don't have too much power, but I like to spike the ball once in a while. Weak serve, good groundstrokes, pretty quick. I'm probably a bad Jankovic, not that I want to be anything close to her.

mirzalover
Oct 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Why arent you a pro with a 146 mph 1st serve and 126 mph 2nd.

My biggest first serve is 113 mph. That only happend because I threw the ball up to short and show how I managed to snap threw it and got it in :lol: of course it went in a different direction then what I was originally planning but it was a ace so I didnt care.

shap_half
Oct 14th, 2008, 11:04 PM
It's easy to speed up your serve and make it stronger. Your racquet and swinging style can help it out.

I for example had the worst serve. Until my coach gave me some guidance, and each year I'm adding a few mph's extra.

Right now my fastest serve is 146mph. My second serves hardly drop under 126mph, because I'm super confident when I serve now. I think I haven't hit a df since a month orso.

Tennis is mental and about confidence, ofcourse devotion and talent help you out.

Motivation was all I needed :)

I'm 5'6'' (which I guess isn't an excuse any more because of Justine), but I really don't enjoy serving. Like literally my serve is tapping the ball into the service box. That's just what I do. It's awful, and my groundstrokes are pretty inconsistent. I can rally for 10 shots hitting pretty decently and then out of nowhere I'm overhitting, mishitting, or just hitting into the net. I don't know what it is. I think I need to get a racquet with a smaller stick, because sometimes the racquet twists when I'm hitting forehands or when I'm doing backhand volleys with one-hand. Is that the correct diagnosis? Get a racquet with a smaller stick?

mirzalover
Oct 14th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I think so, when I first started I was playing with a grip to big and I had problems hitting single handed shots. the racquest would shake and sometimes I would drop it after I hit the ball.

Conor
Oct 15th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Im amazing, really out of this world.

égalité
Oct 15th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I'm horrible at tennis but I rock at ping pong :hearts:

TheFifthAvocado
Oct 15th, 2008, 01:00 AM
It's easy to speed up your serve and make it stronger. Your racquet and swinging style can help it out.

I for example had the worst serve. Until my coach gave me some guidance, and each year I'm adding a few mph's extra.

Right now my fastest serve is 146mph. My second serves hardly drop under 126mph, because I'm super confident when I serve now. I think I haven't hit a df since a month orso.

Tennis is mental and about confidence, ofcourse devotion and talent help you out.

Oh my, I don't think I've ever hit a serve over 100. :speakles:

I have an eastern forehand grip but I hit the ball way out in front of me so I get wicked topspin, sort of like Fed, just not as good obviously. :p My backhand is really flat so the combination of those two strokes is pretty odd. My serve is decent, I have an incredibly high toss and decent power, but incredibly poor direction on it. My only variety is drop shots and my volleys absolutely suck. My weakness is movement, footwork, and mentality. My most recent match went from 6-0 4-2 to 6-0 4-6 0-3 until I won 7-5 in the third. :spit: I use a Babolat Pure Drive Cortex. All in all, I could be a half decent player if I practiced more.

TheFifthAvocado
Oct 15th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I'm horrible at tennis but I rock at ping pong :hearts:

:drool: I play two hands on both sides in ping pong, it's really amaze.

iPatty
Oct 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I don't know where to begin so I will just list my strengths and weaknesses.

STRENGTHS:
Quickness - I wouldn't win matches without it. I am pretty speedy side-to-side so that makes life pretty easy. Not a lot of winners get by me.
Consistency - I usually don't miss too often but the drawback is that I can rarely get the ball out of the center of the court anymore. I used to hit really flat and hit tons of winners/errors but my coaches told me I need to hit with more spin and closer to the middle of the court and now I can't get out of it. Curse them.
Tactics - I am pretty good at analyzing the court and finding out where I can hit the ball that will make the opponent feel most uncomfortable.

WEAKNESSES
Lack of power - As I said before, I can't really hit the ball out of the middle of the court anymore without it going out. This has happened for a couple of months now so at this point I am pretty much a poor-man's pusher.
Down the line shots - I absolutely cannot hit the ball down the line. I don't know if it is my footwork or my grip or what but I find it just physically impossible.
Footwork - My footwork has gotten to be atrocious which is sad considering my speed. I never move my feet on my backhand like I used to which has resulted in loss of confidence and ultimately will be my great downfall.

To sum it up, I used to be good and now I suck. :hearts:

mirzalover
Oct 15th, 2008, 01:24 AM
^^^I've been there with the used to be good but now I suck LOL.

hankqq
Oct 15th, 2008, 01:43 AM
OK so I don't play matches and I prefer to just play points/rallies for the workout. I often hit with some of my friends who are/were on the college/university teams.

Since I don't really play matches, I don't really practice my serve too often, so it's not good :lol: I have a good overhead though.

I am a righty and I play with a 2-handed backhand.

My 2 best shots are my backhand down the line, and my cross court forehand, though I can hit a crosscourt backhand a down the line forehand well too.

When I began playing tennis 10 years ago, I had just recovered from a broken forearm :lol:, so I never attempted to hit a 1-handed backhand volley out of fear. My 2-handed backhand volley is effective though :lol:, and I can do the classic 1 handed volley on the forehand side well.

I move well, and my style of play is to hit aggressively from the baseline with a few forays up to the net and turn defense into offense, with some change ups. I can hit the ball hard, especially on my 2 best shots, but I'm not the most powerful player out there and I change my strategy depending on who my opponent is. I can hit my forehand either flat or with heavy topspin but my backhand is usually very flat. I can moonball and lob on both sides, but I only slice or drop shot on my backhand side (on both shots I use 2 hands too).

égalité
Oct 15th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I tend to ball-bash horribly when I play singles, so I like playing doubles more even though my volleys leave something to be desired. :help:

Basically I'm fast and move the ball around well, but then I get bored with that strategy and go for a stupid winner and miss most of the time.

Now in PING PONG, I move the ball around well, but with enough power and spin so that the ball doesn't sit up (something I can't do in tennis :smash: ) and I can hit a winner from pretty much any position. I construct points really well, too. I should just give up tennis and focus on mini-tennis :hysteric:

Mateo Mathieu
Oct 15th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I'm more of a doubles player ;) I was in final of doubles events few times and won some of them. I only had been to final in singles once :tape:

My mental strength, definitely, is my weakness. I'm told that I'm a male version of Lindsay Davenport :o My attitude and body language is so negative even if I'm winning :lol:

Apoleb
Oct 15th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Strengths:

- Forehand: Can hit a lot of winners with it.
- Net play: :hearts: I love the net.
- Backhand: still inconsistent, but when I get it right, it's beautiful. :lol: (so humble). And of course it's one handed.

Weaknesses:

- I still can't serve. Though I'm planning to take some official tennis lessons and finally learn to serve.

---

Oh, and I rock at ping pong. I have a huge forehand. I hit winners with it from everywhere. The bh is my clear weakness. Sometimes it can hold, sometimes it doesn''t.

Dominic
Oct 15th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I'm really good. I'm basically a power player. My forahand is always huuuge and I pretty much always attack with it. It's also quite accurate and very deep. It's my major weapon. My backhand is not as good. I don't make many errors with it but it's not as powerful. I can still attack with it and it's also very deep but I almost never hit down the line so it's kind of predictable. I'm also very fast around the court. Probably faster than anyone I've ever seen play. I can also hit some ok drop shots and good lobs. My slices are aweful though. My volleys are aweful except my dropvolleys which can be good sometimes. And I always had trouble with my serve mostly because I never practice it and I hate that part of the game lol. So I dont really go for a big serve I just place it deep with some topspin or slice. It doesnt give me many free points but it's not that attackable either. All in all I thing I'm better than maybe 98% of ppl that play tennis and Id really love to play more seriously and maybe even small tournaments that have small price money but I'm not sure how to get into that and I think I would actually have to pay money to get started.

mirzalover
Oct 15th, 2008, 04:10 AM
^^Ah your probably not better than me so your little dream of playing small tournaments needs to die ok.

Dominic
Oct 15th, 2008, 04:13 AM
^^Ah your probably not better than me so your little dream of playing small tournaments needs to die ok.

okok but I'm probably better than you.

mirzalover
Oct 15th, 2008, 04:16 AM
okok but I'm probably better than you.

Then come play me then Mr. 98%:rolleyes: Come down here to North Carolina and lets see how that forehand is!

Mikey.
Oct 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM
:drool: I play two hands on both sides in ping pong, it's really amaze.

:lol: I use a 2 handed backhand in ping pong. It is amaze I agree :worship:

Mikey.
Oct 15th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I'm basically a Davenport type player. Tall, big serve, hard stokes hit quite flat and I'm totally slow. :lol: Although I can do some decent defence when its a good day.

I prefer my 2 handed backhand to my forehand. I find it hard to hit a flat and penetrating forehand for the majority of a match. It tends to get a little short and loopy when I get nervous or a little tired. (I'm a pretty big choker though so I get nervous quite often. :spit:)

My favourite shot would probably have to be my backhand topspin lob or my backhand moonball. :lol:

Last match I played was against one of my friends just for fun. I won 6-3 5-7 6-4 although I was up 4-2 in the 2nd set and 4-0 in the 3rd set :unsure:

I also played a doubles match with that same friend just the other week, against some other friends, and we lost 6-4 6-7 2-6 :tears:

youizahoe
Oct 15th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I'm 5'6'' (which I guess isn't an excuse any more because of Justine), but I really don't enjoy serving. Like literally my serve is tapping the ball into the service box. That's just what I do. It's awful, and my groundstrokes are pretty inconsistent. I can rally for 10 shots hitting pretty decently and then out of nowhere I'm overhitting, mishitting, or just hitting into the net. I don't know what it is. I think I need to get a racquet with a smaller stick, because sometimes the racquet twists when I'm hitting forehands or when I'm doing backhand volleys with one-hand. Is that the correct diagnosis? Get a racquet with a smaller stick?

Between the grip and your hand surrounding it, there may maximum be 1finger left in space. If your grip is too big, you can't fully hit hard.

Although I've been hitting very hard shots with a bigger grip and holding it with 3 fingers :)

But tell me, do you jump while serving, do you use a fast-mod-slow swing? Is it a long-med-short swing? Tell me and I can help you further.

youizahoe
Oct 15th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Oh my, I don't think I've ever hit a serve over 100. :speakles:

I have an eastern forehand grip but I hit the ball way out in front of me so I get wicked topspin, sort of like Fed, just not as good obviously. :p My backhand is really flat so the combination of those two strokes is pretty odd. My serve is decent, I have an incredibly high toss and decent power, but incredibly poor direction on it. My only variety is drop shots and my volleys absolutely suck. My weakness is movement, footwork, and mentality. My most recent match went from 6-0 4-2 to 6-0 4-6 0-3 until I won 7-5 in the third. :spit: I use a Babolat Pure Drive Cortex. All in all, I could be a half decent player if I practiced more.

Direction you can change by pulling your racquet in the direction you want to hit, it's orthodox, but it helps you to create angles, and after a while, you will do it automatically. But don't make it a habbit.

If I was near you, I'd help you with angles, cause it's really easy when you figured it out ^^

shap_half
Oct 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Between the grip and your hand surrounding it, there may maximum be 1finger left in space. If your grip is too big, you can't fully hit hard.

Although I've been hitting very hard shots with a bigger grip and holding it with 3 fingers :)

But tell me, do you jump while serving, do you use a fast-mod-slow swing? Is it a long-med-short swing? Tell me and I can help you further.

I don't jump when I'm serving. I'm not kidding when I say, I stand there and I tap the ball over the net and into the service box. It's probably going at like 4 miles an hour. Because I don't really play for real, I never have to worry about my serve. I usually just rally with my friends so my groundstrokes get the work out. But when I do play a set or something I get totally creamed on serve. If I weren't a decent runner (I will seriously try to run everything down) I'd probably lose every point on my service games.

I haven't gone back to my racquet yet to check out my grip, but I do think that might be the ultimate source of the problem as far as inconsistent groundstrokes and volleying for me. I usually get completely fucked when some is able to get an ok passing shot because my racquet will twist once I get a hand on that ball. The same thing happens if I have to return a pretty speedy serve or groundstroke with one hand.

Buitenzorg
Oct 16th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I am All Around type of player

strongest: forehand, volley, speed and 2nd serve

weakness: backhand, sometimes my 1st serve, but I am working on it!

I have won Bronze Medal from Mixed Doubles Competition when I was at Uni 4 years ago

Since then I have never go and playing real comp, but I am over 30 now and I am eligible for 2009 Sydney Masters Games at Olympic Park

I have 1 year to train and practice for this event!

Buitenzorg
Oct 16th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I would love to meet more players in Sydney and play social tennis every weekend ;)

Ben.
Oct 16th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Well I would consider myself an agressive baseliner. My groundstrokes are pretty flat and I hardly place any top spin on them. For some strange reason I struggle to adopt a low to high swing to produce top spin. And whenever I have attempted to adopt that swing it fails miserably :lol: I just don't really know what I'm doing wrong :shrug: and my s'times my strokes aren't in one motion.

But my backhand down the line is probably the best shot out of my entire aresenal of shots. I love to hit it hard and flat and it's such a good shot to watch when it's on. My forehand is alright, the technique on it needs a lot of improvement such as the swing (low to high). Footwork and movement around the court is poor as well as my volleys and easy put aways on short balls (I just hit too flat) :spit: Oh and my serve is a weakness. It's just the ball toss & the motion of my serve that lets me down. But on some days I just hit some decent serves out of nowhere.

I haven't been playing a lot of competition lately, but I get coached at least once a week. Need to play some more competition & social tennis after my exams finish.

Medina
Oct 16th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I am probably the only Australian jr who favourite surface is clay.. I do Australian Jr Ranking tournaments around Australia (this yea has been one of the most shockins years to me, with my W-L Ratio). My forehand is the shot i cant rely on under pressure, if i am under pressure i lean back or go backwards while hitting it. It has immense topspin, while my backhand is very flat and i seem to set up points well with tht backhand. The DTL shot is my favourite. The serve, what can i say. If im in a good day i do 4 df, if bad aout 15-20.. Which is shocking honestly. I get coached 5 times a week, which i am in an academy. My doubles is just shit. :spit:. My Mental is the worst aspect of my game, i woul dhave a lead then i will commit errors which make me mad, which makes me do more errors :D

i just fininshed a tournament and lost 6-2 6-2, to a huge guy in the open event :lol:. I think im representing my school in a couple of weeks, having a break of tournaments. But might do the age championships dont know yet..

youizahoe
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I don't jump when I'm serving. I'm not kidding when I say, I stand there and I tap the ball over the net and into the service box. It's probably going at like 4 miles an hour. Because I don't really play for real, I never have to worry about my serve. I usually just rally with my friends so my groundstrokes get the work out. But when I do play a set or something I get totally creamed on serve. If I weren't a decent runner (I will seriously try to run everything down) I'd probably lose every point on my service games.

I haven't gone back to my racquet yet to check out my grip, but I do think that might be the ultimate source of the problem as far as inconsistent groundstrokes and volleying for me. I usually get completely fucked when some is able to get an ok passing shot because my racquet will twist once I get a hand on that ball. The same thing happens if I have to return a pretty speedy serve or groundstroke with one hand.

Well if ur little, the jump to serve, is quite necessary if you want to improve, there are other ways, but this one is the easiest to apply.

Hmmm I'll try to pm you in the next days, with some tips that I used to buff up my game. oki? ^^

Buitenzorg
Oct 17th, 2008, 12:11 AM

I have won Bronze Medal from Mixed Doubles Competition when I was at Uni 4 years ago

Since then I have never go and playing real comp, but I am over 30 now and I am eligible for 2009 Sydney Masters Games at Olympic Park

I have 1 year to train and practice for this event!

I hit the ball reasonably hard and flat as well, prefer to stay at the baseline.

I am working full time and only rely on the weekend social tennis, haven't been coached by anyone, just learn and practice more often [i try too] I came to Sydney from Jakarta 10 years ago, I only started play tennis 5 years ago!

Buitenzorg
Oct 17th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I have played on Hard, grass and clay...haven't been played on carpet before

I prefer to play in hard/grass! ;)

Dominic
Oct 17th, 2008, 01:04 AM

Ok please explain to me how can your first serve be a weakness and your second serve a strenght????!!! That is nonsense.

Buitenzorg
Oct 17th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Ok please explain to me how can your first serve be a weakness and your second serve a strenght????!!! That is nonsense.

well, every single opponents that plays me says that my 2nd serve is very good

if my 1st serve is fault, most of my 2nd serve is better than the 1st one, I could even hit an ace on my 2nd serve...I know is weird though?

maybe serving 1st time is more nervous than the 2nd one....?

I wrote [ sometimes my 1st serve :p most of the time is ok ;) ]

Nemo_Kool
Oct 17th, 2008, 04:01 PM
agressive likes to hit the shit outta the ball but im good in defence as well....high UE, high winner count good 1st serve serve when on, poor secnd. My forhand is the stronger shot esp crosscourt althought the backhand more reliable. i think my best quality is my mentality, players have to beat me.

shap_half
Oct 17th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Well if ur little, the jump to serve, is quite necessary if you want to improve, there are other ways, but this one is the easiest to apply.

Hmmm I'll try to pm you in the next days, with some tips that I used to buff up my game. oki? ^^

ok =)

I just realized that my grip is the right size. There is something wrong with the way I'm holding my racquet or maybe I'm just a loser.

Cat's Pajamas
Oct 20th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I'm a power hitter with the ability to play with effect and come a lot to the net. I can hit forehands and backhands of both sides, just depending on the situation. I use a Wilson K factor prototype.

I play about every day, when I have more time during the day, I'll play on grass, hardcourt, carpet and clay all in best out of 3.

I remember a 5 set match in a final, where I had to take everything I had, even sustain injuries to win the match, it lasted about 8 hours with eventually getting a lead of 5-0 in the 5th, getting an injury, and eventually winning that set 12-10. It was 35°C that day and was on very slow clay. After that match I also needed a time out and get my injuries healed.

I think over the 18 years I've played, I've had like 5 years where I was unbeaten. I'll post some stats later when I'm home.

I was an itf player for almost one year, but I had knee and back injuries which, after a long week of thinking, made me decide, in agreement with doctors, to stop the pro circuit and focus myself on something else.

Although I'm hoping to get pro some day, just hoping the injuries will finally start fading away.

BULLSHIT.

Unless you want to provide me with your name, so we can see if you actually did play ITF levels, I am going to say that I cannot believe the lengths some people will go to lie about how great they are....on a message board for crying out loud. :help: :o :haha:

Actually, it's kind of sad. :sad:

drake3781
Oct 20th, 2008, 05:02 AM
BULLSHIT.

Unless you want to provide me with your name, so we can see if you actually did play ITF levels, I am going to say that I cannot believe the lengths some people will go to lie about how great they are....on a message board for crying out loud. :help: :o :haha:

He is also a poet. :shrug:

Buitenzorg
Oct 20th, 2008, 06:13 AM
BULLSHIT.

He is also a poet. :shrug:

reality check :lol: what an ego! :help:

Petkorazzi
Dec 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM
There's nothing much about my game. :o

I have pretty good baselines shots, my forehand can do anything I want, but it's always so inconsistent. Till spring this year, I couldn't get a backhand in court for some time. :spit: I was training for an hour and I wouldn't get more than 5-10 BHs in court. :rolleyes: But then suddenly it clicked and now it's my favourite shot. :inlove: My FH does a lot more, but I just love hitting the backhand. I love going for DTL when I'm on the run, I put a lot of power in it. :p My serve is bad for my height, I've lost more power lately but got a lot better placement. In the deuce court, I mostly go for the body serve, but in the ad court I have periods when I get a great serve. First, I had the amazing wide serve like Julie Coin but now it's gone. :rolleyes: Then I had the down the T serve like Petrova & Douchevina, but that one is almost gone also. :o My 2nd serve is just putting the ball back, I can hit a dementieva pre-06 slice serve, or quite hard, but I don't have confidence in any of them. My movement is amazing for somebody of my weight. :lol: I need to work on my stamina though. I get really tired after the first two games, but then even if I play a 3 set match, I feel tired in the same way as after two games? :confused:

Overall, I'm like a ballbasher, but some of my best shots are the dropshot and lob on the run. I try to dropshot sometimes during rallys, some are really nice. I rarely try to pass my opponent at the net, only if it's really easy. I used to panic before on deciding where to hit, but now I realized if you stay cool it's pretty easy. :smoke: I always lob when it's a hard ball, and IMO 90% are great. :inlove:

During the match, I stay pretty cool if i don't have a terrible day. I tend to worry on SP and MP though, if you see somebody go for an unbelievable shot or make a DF on MP it's me. :p

That was long :eek:

New_balls_please
Dec 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM

I have pretty good baselines shots, my forehand can do anything I want, but it's always so inconsistent. Till spring this year, I couldn't get a backhand in court for some time. :spit: I was training for an hour and I wouldn't get more than 5-10 BHs in court. :rolleyes: But then suddenly it clicked and now it's my favourite shot. :inlove: My FH does a lot more, but I just love hitting the backhand. I love going for DTL when I'm on the run, I put a lot of power in it. :p My serve is bad for my height, I've lost more power lately but got a lot better placement. In the deuce court, I mostly go for the body serve, but in the ad court I have periods when I get a great serve. First, I had the amazing wide serve like Julie Coin but now it's gone. :rolleyes: Then I had the down the T serve like Petrova & Douchevina, but that one is almost gone also. :o My 2nd serve is just putting the ball back, I can hit a dementieva pre-06 slice serve, or quite hard, but I don't have confidence in any of them. My movement is amazing for somebody of my weight. :lol: I need to work on my stamina though. I get really tired after the first two games, but then even if I play a 3 set match, I feel tired in the same way as after two games? :confused:

Overall, I'm like a ballbasher, but some of my best shots are the dropshot and lob on the run. I try to dropshot sometimes during rallys, some are really nice. I rarely try to pass my opponent at the net, only if it's really easy. I used to panic before on deciding where to hit, but now I realized if you stay cool it's pretty easy. :smoke: I always lob when it's a hard ball, and IMO 90% are great. :inlove:

During the match, I stay pretty cool if i don't have a terrible day. I tend to worry on SP and MP though, if you see somebody go for an unbelievable shot or make a DF on MP it's me. :p

I´m wondering how tall you must be :p

Petkorazzi
Dec 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
1.86 2 months ago. ;) And i'm 15.

ptitnavet
Dec 11th, 2008, 09:18 PM
1.86 2 months ago. ;) And i'm 15.

:eek:

I can tell you that my forehand is good but my backhand it such a joke sometimes it's good but sometimes thats sucks a lot :p
I have a percent of first serve around 20 % but when I have it's a goo dfirst serve.

Amalgamate
Dec 12th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I am good enough to be mentioned in my respective class thread :)

Slutiana
Jun 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
BULLSHIT.

I just died with laughter. :tears:

The Witch-king
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Look at Venus. Divide her talents and abilities by about 100 but leave the fugly errors and double faults and VOILA ! You have me.

Shafanovic.
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:32 AM
LOL nawww...

:hug:

Buitenzorg
Jun 13th, 2009, 12:57 AM
When I started to play tennis 5 years agoon and off...I was play like a dump sh*t player coming from badminton type sport backgroud, as Tennis wasn't that popular sport in my origin country, BUT in Australia, it's more easier for me to keep practice and trying my best to "AT LEAST" can hit the ball back to my opponent....and to win a match was my least priority on my mind, I am type of person that like to learn from my mistake....

and, 2 years ago...I am starting to committed myself to play at least once a week, honestly my skills has improved a little bit...

my forehand, speed and 2nd serve are my strength, where is Backhand is the weakest of all :lol:

I am now enjoying myself, I love tennis! I wish I could play everyday, but I have a more important priority in my life which is to study for my master and working full time...

as I am over 30 now
I am challanging myself to enters to compete at Sydney World Masters Games in October this year :)

Keegan
Jun 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I'm alright, bit one dimensional though as I just hit really hard. I can't really hit slice shots, but I have a pretty good drop shot which catches my opponent out every now and again, when they decide to work. Most of the time I just hit hard and aim for the corners. I also have a pretty good serve too, when it's on. My forehand is no doubt my best shot. I used to have a really good backhand cross court too, but it's recently degraded since getting my new racquet, so now my backhand just gets the ball back into play and I'm not really happy with that.

mojoo999
Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
I consider myself a 4.0-5.0 player.

the jamierbelyea
Aug 23rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
I am a psychopath on court. I have a lot of power, above average serve, and a really fluid game. I have textbook strokes, so in practice I look really good, because I hit the ball like your supposed too. I have lazy foot work and the temprament of Vika Azarenka.

So you'll see me implode in the middle of matches frequently. Screaming, saying things incoherently, talking to myself. It's funny because my teammates are always able to recreate my mannerisms on court. Common phrases are, "Jamie what are you doing?" "Laugh, shrug, looking down." "Are you serious? What is wrong with you?" "I'm SO GLAD you've been playing since 2nd grade." and a scream that people say sound like a pterodactyl.

I've watched some videos, and it's not pretty. Especially when the more errors I make the harder I hit the ball.

I've actually worked really hard on the mental/emotional side of the game, because there was one 8 month span, where I smashed 17 rackets in competition and in practice. It was expensive.

allrounder
Sep 10th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I've not played for a few years mainly due to playing other sports, but i used to be a pusher and and a pretty successful one back in my school days of playing. Serving is something that came quite naturally to me and I had a fairly big first serve for my age and a solid second one. I used to like playing the backhand slice too and using forehand topspin, although my friends who i played against - particularly the bigger hitting ones found it annoying to play against a pusher just keeping the ball in the court at no pace :lol:

I'm considering going back to playing club tennis again next year as a change from what sports i usually play in the summer and it's likely to keep me fitter than playing cricket like i am at the moment :)

Petkorazzi
Sep 10th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Changes in game. :shrug:

First serve is a lot bigger, second serve is still same sucky one. Backhand = GOAT. Forehand = :help: Totally lost confidence in it, now it's double handed.

RYNJ
Sep 15th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I consider myself a 5.0 player NTRP. I am ranked #82 in CCollege in the state of California. I should have been ranked higher, but I got injured halfway through the season. So I pretty much gave up on singles and focused on doubles, we managed to make it to the semi-finals (seeded 4) and we lost to the #1 seed. Heres a link of the rankings http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRankings/Rankings/0809JCCCMen/Cal_JUCO_Men_s_Final_Rankings_-_May_22__2009.htm?PageMode=Print

I play and hit pretty flat. My backhand is def. my strongest side and rarely breaks down. My weakest would be my net game, but that doesn't mean I cant volley :p I got double bagelled in a match that I was injured in he was a top ten player in the State, but still getting bageled sucks! HAHA :tape: