PDA

View Full Version : “You have to have fun”--- Jelena Jankovic

heavensider
Oct 4th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Stuttgart. She’ll be the number one player in the world on Monday, but Jelena Jankovic is never one to take herself too seriously. Although very aware of her position as the best player in the world, something she also achieved briefly earlier this year, she is always ready to laugh at herself and the chaos she sometimes leaves in her wake.

Things happen to Jankovic that just don’t happen to other players. One day at the Australian Open she was being driven, she thought, to Melbourne Park for her match. But then she realised she was in fact being driven in the opposite direction, to the practise courts, and she was nearly late for her match. And when she was in Dubai earlier this year she walked into a press conference and, without being asked a single question, she began a 10-minute monologue on being out in the city and getting totally lost. When she finished and stood up to leave the room she was loudly applauded by the assembled media. That just doesn’t happen with anyone else, but Jankovic is different.

One of her funniest stories involved her week at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix a year ago. “That was the funniest story ever,” she said. “I was so tired after a long day and I went back to the hotel and knocked on the door, and all these rooms are next to each other and look the same and I didn’t really pay attention to the number. I knocked and thought my mum was going to open. She opened the door and I just went in. I didn’t even look who it was and when I realised it was Justine (Henin) I asked her what she was doing in my room. And she was ‘What are you doing in MY room?’. It was so funny. It was the first time I’ve seen her laugh. Normally she’s really serious. It was a funny experience. There are always some stories with me! It’s nice. You have to have fun and enjoy it. If you don’t have fun, if you’re not laughing and enjoying your time, it’s very difficult being around this job. It helps me.”

This year she has been making people laugh again, this time about her adventures in the hotel restaurant. “In our hotel we have a breakfast buffet and a lot of different food, and I just woke up feeling I had to have an Eggs Benedict. They didn’t have it in the buffet so I went to the waiter and asked him to make it. Then the waiter brought this biggest thing ever. It looked like for five people. And I finished it all! And the night before when I was in the Beerfest I ordered two times the duck and all that. They were saying ‘Where does this food go?’ I told them it’s winter time and I need the energy.”

Although she has blisters on her feet and a torn toenail, pretty much routine for any tennis player, Jankovic is far more upbeat this year than last. She has played less events this year and feels the benefit of that. “I feel fresh. I’m not tired like I was last year. I was really exhausted around this time and I didn’t have the motivation to play. I was just waiting to finish the year and rest a little bit because I’d played so many matches. This year it’s a different story. I’m not feeling tired. Actually I feel good and really ready to play and I feel confident, which is the most important thing. Each match that I play I try to improve. I always have a game plan when I play against my opponents and trying to execute my shots and go into the match prepared, tactically and mentally. I’m improving, and of course I can get better and better and this is why I’m working very hard every day, to be fitter as well. I feel a lot better than I did, for example, at the Olympics, when I was coming back from an injury to my knee. I didn’t feel as fast and was completely out of form, and now every day I feel that I’m getting stronger and stronger. When it comes to three-set matches I feel I’m prepared and can play those matches without a problem.”

“It’s a relief,” says Jankovic. “I’m again with a smile on my face and I’m enjoying my tennis. It’s quite difficult. Since the beginning of the year I was travelling with a lot of different injuries and I also got sick around March. I had some bacteria and was always blowing my nose. I was thinking about all these health issues bothering me, and then it’s hard to concentrate on tennis. And also you cannot practise as much as you would like to and have to take many days off. It’s amazing how quickly you get out of shape, and then it takes so much time to get back in form again and get confident. You go backwards, and you have to go forwards again. Staying positive is the most important thing in those times. Now I’m just happy that I’m healthy. All I ask is that I stay like this the rest of the year.”

04/10/2008

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd108/heavensider/2cf9yc4.jpg

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah. She was having fun when I saw her in 2005 at Philadelphia losing to Tatiana Panova (who happened to be 3 years past her prime).

I can understand her being humble but I've seen her at her lowest, just looking for any win against a top 100 player.
It's only fun now because she's winning.

heavensider
Oct 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
so funny and so cute!

ViennaCalling
Oct 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Jelena :hearts:

Just Do It
Oct 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah. She was having fun when I saw her in 2005 at Philadelphia losing to Tatiana Panova (who happened to be 3 years past her prime).

I can understand her being humble but I've seen her at her lowest, just looking for any win against a top 100 player.
It's only fun now because she's winning.

What's the point of this post ?

MaBaker
Oct 4th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I can imagine the look on Justine's face :lol:

Jelena :inlove: Win them all :angel:

ViennaCalling
Oct 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
What's the point of this post ?

A deluded hater. Ignore him ;)

Mynarco
Oct 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Sexy Jelena :hearts:

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 4th, 2008, 07:14 PM
JJ :hearts: :worship:

joão.
Oct 4th, 2008, 07:51 PM
She's so fake.

Asif_Nawaz
Oct 4th, 2008, 08:06 PM
love her. joao, if theres one thing Jelena isnt its fake.

Hingiswinsthis
Oct 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
That's why we love YaYlena:lol:!
but...i still am shaking my head a little bit at her for that US Open final. Yes, you can have fun, but Triple break point and set point to get the match into a 3rd and she just had to be cute by trying to watch the live video scoreboard and fixing her hair and making faces is...not good!
....now go win tomorrow and further ease the heat of this #1 rankings mess:help:

serenus_2k8
Oct 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Does she mean '' You have to cheat'' coz thats what her coach thinks :shrug:

Ciarán
Oct 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM
God, I love her :hearts:

Richard_from_Cal
Oct 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
so funny and so cute!
:lol: Yes!

louisa.
Oct 5th, 2008, 03:01 AM
:hearts: love this woman!

heavensider
Oct 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I lvoe the she went to justine‘s room part

hingis-seles
Oct 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM
She's crazy. I love it.

Lucemferre
Oct 5th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I knocked and thought my mum was going to open. She opened the door and I just went in. I didn’t even look who it was and when I realised it was Justine (Henin) I asked her what she was doing in my room. And she was ‘What are you doing in MY room?’. It was so funny. It was the first time I’ve seen her laugh. Normally she’s really serious. It was a funny experience.

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

The Kaz
Oct 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Oh Jelena :haha: :lol:

Man, I love you :hearts:

Serval
Oct 5th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Jelly :D :angel: