PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay's US OPEN 2002.

Greenout
Aug 21st, 2002, 02:21 PM
It's kind of weird; they gave LD the 4th seed.
I'm a huge LD fan;but I think it's a little too
generous to be seeded 4th.

I kind of get the feeling that our Lindsay will
at least make it to the Semi finals this year.
I still think she's feeling her way back to
top notch competitive form; so I can't really
see her winning the US OPEN this year.
Off course, not that I would mind :).

What do you guys think?

I see LD doing the business on the indoor
circuit, and taking the WTA Championships
Los Angeles 2002, and the Aussie Open 2003.

Lindsayfan
Aug 21st, 2002, 02:41 PM
i think it's right seeding Lindsay n.4 cos players between n.5 and n.10 arent consistent as Lindsay used to be before she got injured.dokic plays too much and she is n.4 only cos others play less,seles is injured,clijsters is half-injured,henin is just inconsistent,hingis-see seles,mauresmo found a good result after a year of slump so...why all these girls should be seeded before than lindsay?anyway that's how protected ranking works and i think it's right! :)

GO GO LINDSAY GO GO GO!!!! :D :D :D
Lindsay will reach semifinal for sure if she plays a good tennis,then she'll get one of sisters and...we'll see what happen!

Greenout
Aug 21st, 2002, 02:48 PM
I can see your point about the seeding. From the looks
of the Cali hardcourt season LD can still beat the current
5, 6, and 7 players, and she's more likely to actually be
in the semi final than those players too.

Jan
Aug 21st, 2002, 04:04 PM
I think her seeding is about right given her previous form (she was number 1 in the world when she pulled out injured). Her form has been pretty good on 9 month lapse from the game. so yeah, I think its okay too. I would like her to win it but I think it might just be a little too early in her comeback, but she hopefully will make the semis, but if she did win wouldn't it just be great!

:cool:

joaco
Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:38 AM
I must admitt the first time I saw it I was a little surprised, but then I realized that Lindsay had earned and due to her unique situation she was in the right place seeded 4th.

As Vale explained, Lindsay is more consistent and probably is playing at a higher level.

The only thing I want from this Open is to see Lindsay win some matches and maybe.... BEAT VENUS or SERENAA!!!!!!!!!

Go LINDSAY!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :wavey:

Joaco

Greenout
Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:42 AM
What do you guys think of the draw?

It looks to be a LD vs Williams, and
Jenn vs Williams SF, if everyone holds onto
their part of the bargin. Imagine this SF...
it could be the highest rated SF in US Open
in CBS network history.

Leo7
Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:28 AM
i like her quarter of the draw. she has Silvia Farina Elia in the 16's, then Dokic in the Quarters. and neither are really a threat to her. in the Semis she could face Serena/Justine/Hantuchova which should be a tough match. Serena may be a bit rusty tho, cos she has only played one tournament since Wimby, and she lost in the Quarterfinals.

Leo7
Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:29 AM
:bounce: LINDSAY :bounce:

Lindsayfan
Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:28 AM
i think her draw is great,the best i could dream!!!she has only to beat Dokic (and u know head-to-head are 7-0 for Lindsay) and then she'll play Serena.u cant escape from one of 2 sisters,but maybe Lindsay could beat Serena and Jennifer Venus...u never know...at least we can dream of! ;)

GO GO LINDSAY BABY!!! :hearts: I LOVE U SO MUCH!

Jan
Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:38 AM
Lindsayfan, Greenout and Leo, I am so excited with Lindsay's draw. Like Val I like her quarter and I reckon with thinngs going her way she could beat Serena. Oh I do hope so.

Can't wait for it to start
Cheers
:wavey: :wavey: :bounce: :hearts: :hearts: :kiss: :kiss:

Greenout
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:22 AM
the start of the US OPEN. Lindsay's on right
after Justine- on Center Court- so I can't see
them screwing the telecast too much with a
Men's match.

I'm really looking forward to this. There were
no summer hardcourt matches televised here
in Singapore yet. :(

Go Lindsay.

gossipcom
Aug 26th, 2002, 10:05 AM
I'm really kicking myself right now - they interviewed Lindsay on World Sport here in Australia and of course I missed it coming in right at the end <g>

They repeat it tomorrow so if my vcr cooperates with me tomorrow I'll be able to get some caps and also transcript of the interview - the 2 secs I saw looked great :)

Leo7
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Lindsay def. Dryberg 6-2, 6-1 :bounce:

Match Summary:

Davenport(USA) Dyrberg(DEN)

1st Serve % 24 of 36 = 67 % 21 of 43 = 49 %

Aces 3 0

Double Faults 3 5

Unforced Errors 16 13

Winning % on 1st Serve 21 of 24 = 88 % 14 of 21 = 67 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve 7 of 12 = 58 % 5 of 22 = 23 %

Winners (Including Service) 23 7

Break Point Conversions 5 of 6 = 83 % 0 of 0 = 0 %

Net Approaches 4 of 5 = 80 % 4 of 9 = 44 %

Total Points Won 52 27

Fastest Serve 105 MPH 104 MPH

Average 1st Serve Speed 94 MPH 97 MPH

Average 2nd Serve Speed 79 MPH 81 MPH

nice serving from Lindsay, she didn't even face one break point against her!:) 1 match down, 6 to go...

Kelly
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:56 PM
GOOOOOOOO LINDSSAAAAAYYYYY!!!

Leo7
Aug 26th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Davenport Dominates Dyrberg
by Jamie Gross
Monday, August 26, 2002

No. 4 seed Lindsay Davenport cruised through her first-round match against Eva Dyrberg, defeating the 22-year-old from Denmark, 6-2, 6-1, in just 41 minutes. Davenport, meeting Dyrberg for the first time in her career, converted two-of-two possible break points to capture the first set in 20 minutes. In set two, the 26-year-old forced two early breaks to take a 4-0 lead before going on to win the match, 6-2, 6-1.

Davenport, who is playing in just her fifth Tour event this year, almost doubled Dyrberg's total points won in the match (52 for Davenport, 27 for Dyrberg). She will next take on the winner of the Petra Mandula-Miria Oremans match.

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_0826_013.jpg

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/thumbs/t_0826_010.jpg

gossipcom
Aug 27th, 2002, 12:01 AM
they didn't show the match here in Australia *sulk* they stayed with the freaking Norman/Costa then went straight to the Blake match *grrr*.

*fingers crossed* though I've got my vcr on timer record to catch the interview with Lindsay on SBS this arvo :)

An awesome Reuters article (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020826/ap_wo_en_po/sports_tennis_us_open_9)

Jan
Aug 27th, 2002, 12:47 PM
I really enjoyed Lindsay's match with Dryberg. I am watching on Sky Sports 2 cause they give an interactive service and I can watch as many women's matches as I can fit in without having to wait for the mean to finish, sometimes 5 sets, before I can see who I want to when its on Eurosport. I am not knocking Eurosport as such, I just wish it would get its technology uptodate.

LETS GO LINDSAY

:D

shirley
Aug 27th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Never saw the match but from what I've read our girl did well yesterday.

http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/server-smilies/otn/blobs/boldpurple.gif

huh?
Aug 27th, 2002, 07:09 PM
when and who does she play next?

gossipcom
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:16 AM
She's got centre court - first up on Night session tomorrow *woohoo* she better win because I'll be taping it <g>

She's playing Petra Mandula (HUN)

Jan
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Gossipcom I will be taping it too and also watching it if I can stay awake from Midnight onwards LOL!

GO GO GO LINDSAY - SO GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK AND AT A SLAM TOO.

:cool: :wavey: :bounce: :kiss: :hearts:

Leo7
Aug 28th, 2002, 02:43 PM
i think this match will be televised in the states! cross your fingers!;)

Good Luck, Lindsay!:bounce:

Leo7
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:26 PM
hey, i just found out that Lindsay has the night match tonight!:)

:bounce:

Leo7
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Jelena Dokic was just upset by the talented Russian Bovina. this leaves Davenport's draw wide open and possibly makes her road to the Semis even easier. but remember Bovina took a set off of Lindsay in LA, so she could give our girl some problems if they meet again in the Quarters!

gossipcom
Aug 29th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Let's hope the rain holds off today and Lindsay actually makes it on court for starters and no 2 if she plays anywhere like she did today she'll lose the match - her serving was absolutely shocking and Mandula was beating her with some good clean winners as well.

Leo7
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:25 PM
i agree, Lindsay was off last night. she was hitting too many unforced errors, serving at a low %, and was getting frustrated by how well Mandula was playing! her 2nd serves were really weak ( some down at 79 MPH :eek: ) and Mandula was attacking them with ease.

but i know Lindsaywill be able to step up her level of play when she needs to!:)

Lindsayfan
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:01 PM
yes sure!today Lindsay will raise her level and i wont be surprised if she wins 4 straight games ;)

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Lindsay is just losing her concentration because of the wind and little rain. You obvoiusly dont risk your injury.

GO LINDSAY!!!!!!
4 Staight Games and losing only 2 points or less.

joaco
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:18 PM
please you guys tell me this isn't even near the level Lindsay has been playing since she came back!
It was the first match I saw her since last years Sanex Championship I was a little shocked with Lindsay's serve, UEs and lack of reaching to balls that she would hit a winner in some cases.

I hope to see Lindsay in a good match today when she plays again and does not let her win not asingle game!!!
She must have been off yesterday. Go Linz!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :D

Joaco

gossipcom
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Okay she really put the foot down today she won 6/4 6/2 so she won the 4 consecutive games in the 2nd set to move into the third round *woohoo*

Watch out for Mandula though, she's a player who's improving with every tournament.

Also Lindsay is today's US Open Player of the Day *yay*

She's playing tomorrow - 3rd up on Centre Court.

Viva
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:50 AM
I'm here finally!

Saw Lindsay's match (well half) to errr..whats her name? Mauyer? Seemed to struggle a bit but she won none the less. Good job!

Can't ait to see her next match but the way Aussie TV works - if you're not male then screw you - I doubt I will for a couple of days.

Go Lindsay! Prove 'em wrong! :bounce:

Oooooo got my exam results:

Drama: 80%
Advanced English: 60%
Maths General: 58%
German Beginners: 77%
Information Technology (VET): Uhhhhh....lets just say, not good. Ok, ok......*whispers* 42%.

I think I did pretty well. I actually passed maths! My mark may not be high but this is the first time I have passed aaaaaaalllll year. Go me! :D

Jan
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:48 AM
What a relief to see Lindsay picked up her game when she re-started against Mandula.

Lets hope for some good form against Bartoli, third up today weather permitting.

With the draw she has she really ought to get to the semis, but you know tennis! LOL

GO GO GO LINDSAY
:wavey: :bounce:

Lindsayfan
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:34 AM
L. DAVENPORT/P. Mandula
MODERATOR: Questions for Lindsay.

Q. What did you do during the rain delay today?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, I was in my hotel pretty much all day thinking that I probably wouldn't get a chance to finish just because of the schedule and the forecast was pretty ominous. But they called to say that they kind of switched my match with Andre.
Now I'm really relieved that I got through it. At the time I didn't have a lot of time to get ready for it, but I'm happy we were able to fit it in today.

Q. Were you concerned about the dampness, the slipperiness, your knee?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Last night, yeah. I mean, I'm not going to play if it starts raining on me. I didn't hesitate at all last night either time to stop.
It is a very fine line out there. I don't think people realize how fast it does get slippery out there. All it takes is one wrong step, and I wasn't at this point, after all I've been through, going to risk that.

Q. Do you think you'll feel that way the rest of your career?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I'm not worried about it at any other time. I'm worried about it when it's slippery or something like that. Of course, I was there when Mary Joe fell all those years ago against Venus. For me it's just not worth it.
As far as running for balls, I never feel any hesitancy when the court is normal. It's a good sign, I guess.

Q. Had you ever hurt it in slippery conditions?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I've never before. But if I slip now, I probably would.

Q. How much weight did you lose when you were away?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Surprisingly not that much. I mean, it was only -- what I weigh now and what I weighed before is only eight pounds different. I think I built some more muscle, got rid of more body fat than anything else. In terms of scale, it doesn't really seem like that much.

Q. Was that a concerted effort on your part?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. I tried real hard to try and get stronger and at the same time get fitter, which, like I said, not worry about what the scale said, but try and lose body weight. I was able to do that.

Q. Do you feel demonstrably better?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. I felt a lot better when I first started working out. When I was able to start hitting balls again in April, I didn't want something else to go wrong. I wanted to try and use the time that I've never really had before to really try and get in good shape.
When I was on crutches for eight weeks, I definitely went on a diet because I knew I would probably gain weight, if anything, when you can't exercise. I tried really hard there. Once I started playing again, I was able to keep it off and build some more muscle back.

Q. Have you felt any difference in your game because of that change at all?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Not in my tennis game. In overall physical health, yeah. I find that I'm not getting as many nagging injuries as I used to get. I'm recovering a lot faster from matches. I haven't had too many really long matches, but I felt really good in third sets, and felt, like I said, no nagging injuries that have really bothered me.
In terms of hitting the ball, it didn't help. But everything else, hopefully it adds a lot to my game.

Q. Obviously you chose not to go to college, but you and your mother have been close to sports development and sports issues over the years. President Bush is having a series of town hall meetings to discuss possible revisions on Title IX. If you could make any comments to the president about that, what would your thoughts be?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, I mean, Title IX was a huge step I think all those years ago to try and give obviously women equality in collegiate sports. I think the idea behind it is a great one.
I don't like the sport when it forces other men's sports in colleges to shut down because they don't have the money to keep programs going. I don't think that's what it's for.
You know, you definitely want women to get as many opportunities as they can in college sports. But, you know, I know in tennis, I think men either three and a half or four and a half, I'm not sure on that, the women it's eight or nine. It's a huge discrepancy. Obviously, football, there's much more. They probably could tweak the rule a little bit, but I think overall the idea was to promote women's sports. It's been great. In some areas, maybe it could be changed a little.

Q. Have you had any discussions with the Leach family?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Oh, many. I know all about it. CoachLeach is not a big fan of it. But I've defended the women as best I can. But he's tough (laughter).

Q. In a nutshell, without taking the next half hour, what does he say?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I mean, it's frustrating to him when you run a men's collegiate team. Like I said, he only has three and a half or four and a half to work with. Guys are just dying to go to Stanford. Then like the women there get eight scholarships. They don't even play because only six singles players play. In that regard, he's not a big fan. But I think he's coming around in women's sports. He's becoming a bigger fan.

Q. Jennifer was just asked about Title IX. She hadn't heard of it. Some of us were a little surprised by that. Does that just talk about a tunnel vision some players get into? You've obviously been around the college game.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I mean, a little bit surprising. But I don't think in her plan ever growing up, ever along her career path, did college ever really enter her focus. I don't know if that's the reason why or if she doesn't quite understand the movement that women's sports took all those years ago. I have no idea.

Q. Have you ever talked to Billie Jean about that?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, many Fed Cups about that, as well.

Q. What's the most important thing you've gleaned from her?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Billie is the most pro-women's sports believer that could possibly exist, tries to drill into our brains how important it is for women's equal rights, for women to have opportunities to play, how when she was growing up that women's sports didn't exist. It was really wrong for a woman to want to be an athlete or a little girl to want to be an athlete, and how lucky we are, especially in our sport, that we can make a living from it. All these other sports, she's going nuts, you can be a pro-women's basketball player, or soccer player, all these opportunities she didn't have growing up.
I have learned how lucky we are because of her and all the others in the '70s, we can make such a great living off this sport, how hopefully in another few years, my kids, other little girls, will want to be a pro athlete just like little boys.

Q. Do you think there's anything the WTA or players on tour can do to advance that in any way, or do you feel it's a matter of playing your game, do your best?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, it's always a never-ending battle to try and grow it. Right now women's tennis is as hot as it can be. I think what can really help is when there's a group of players, more than just one or two, that other little girls can relate to, so you're not forced to choose between Steffi or Monica. Now you have one of the Williamses, Anna, myself, Monica, Jennifer. You can try and follow the path of a lot of different players.
But, I mean, the main thing is to always try and give back. It gets very tiring always playing tournaments. Certainly we don't always put forth our best effort. For the most part, I think the girls are pretty aware of the importance of 20 years from now what's going to happen to women's tennis, maybe not as focused as Billie Jean was in the '70s, but hopefully we'll get back to that kind of feeling, we need to keep growing it for other people, as well.

Q. The WTA gave me this and said that it's a form on Title IX. It says it was handed to all the tennis players a couple weeks ago. Did you see it?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I have not received that yet, no. I'm sorry.

Q. You lost this weight and trained. How could you do that with the knee?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I mean, the first eight weeks I was on crutches. I did a thing called aqua jogging, did it every day for eight weeks. I've said this before, but I was in a machine for eight hours a day. Every hour I spent in the pool, I could minus from the machine. I would some days try to spend two hours in the pool and some... I was always in there at least an hour a day. Some days I would go longer.
Like I said, I was always doing arm weights, always lifting pretty regularly on that. I was trying to, you know, follow somewhat of a diet while I was on crutches just so I wouldn't gain weight more than anything else.

Q. Was it a life-changing diet? Did you change how you eat now?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It was The Zone Diet. I'm trying to follow the Zone principles in my life now (laughter).
-------------------------------------------------------------
Does she call Jon's dad "coach Leach"? lol :p
what's the Zone Diet?

Viva
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:57 AM
I diet that Hollywood actresses follow. It is not healthy at all I know that. I think it is a very strict diet where it zones in on one particular food group.

That's all I know.

Leo7
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:25 PM
:wavey:

nice way to finish off the match with 4 straight games! next victim is Bartoli, the Girls Champion last year at the Open. she already upset ASV, but she'll be no match for Dav!:)

GOOOOOO Lindsay!:bounce:

Leo7
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by gossipcom
Okay she really put the foot down today she won 6/4 6/2 so she won the 4 consecutive games in the 2nd set to move into the third round *woohoo*

Watch out for Mandula though, she's a player who's improving with every tournament.

Also Lindsay is today's US Open Player of the Day *yay*

She's playing tomorrow - 3rd up on Centre Court.

Player of the Day! :bounce:

Viva
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Ooooo yay!!!! :D

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:30 PM
OHH MY GOD!!!!
LINDSAY IS REALLY SMART!!!!!!

Lindsayfan
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Lindsay beat bartoli 6-3 6-1 playing in my opinion the best match at Us Open!!!well done baby!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:00 PM
YEAH, she has 11 aces in the game.
Here serve is comming back slowly!!!!
I guess her serve will peak in time for a bigger match in the semis.

WELL DONE LINDSAY!!!!!!!!

Elske
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:06 PM
:eek: wow :eek: @ the stats!

Way to go Lindsay!!!!!

3 down, 4 to go :bounce:

C'mon Lindsay! :bounce:

Leo7
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:00 PM
Match Summary
Davenport(USA) Bartoli(FRA)

1st Serve % 28 of 36 = 78 % 38 of 56 = 68 %

Aces 11 0

Double Faults 0 2

Unforced Errors 20 13

Winning % on 1st Serve 27 of 28 = 96 % 20 of 38 = 53 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve 5 of 8 = 63 % 8 of 18 = 44 %

Winners (Including Service) 37 3

Break Point Conversions 4 of 6 = 67 % 0 of 0 = 0 %

Net Approaches 11 of 13 = 85 % 2 of 5 = 40 %

Total Points Won 60 32

Fastest Serve 106 MPH 100 MPH

Average 1st Serve Speed 97 MPH 94 MPH

Average 2nd Serve Speed 84 MPH 81 MPH

~~~~~

along with 11 aces, Linzi hit 37 winners!:eek: :)

gossipcom
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:26 AM
This statistic is absolutely mindblowing.

Originally posted by Leo7
Match Summary
Davenport(USA) Bartoli(FRA)
Winning % on 1st Serve 27 of 28 = 96 %

I'll have to watch that tape and see where she actually lost that 1st serve <g>

Let's hope she can continue with it in the next round (at least it'll be on tv here - hoping it'll be worth taping) ;)

Maajken
Sep 1st, 2002, 10:01 AM
I only saw the second set but wooooooow :eek:

If she keeps this up..great things are about to happen :bounce: :bounce:

Jan
Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:35 PM
WOW TO LINDSAY
:D :wavey: :bounce:

Leo7
Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:49 PM
hey guys! i'm going to the Open today and hopefully will get to see Lindsay play her 4th round match on Louis Armstrong...i just hope the rain will stop! i'll try to get some good pics and will post them here later! :)

GO LINDSAY!:bounce:

gerhard
Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:37 PM
Good Luck Leo7 and have fun!

Elske
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Leo7
hey guys! i'm going to the Open today and hopefully will get to see Lindsay play her 4th round match on Louis Armstrong...i just hope the rain will stop! i'll try to get some good pics and will post them here later! :)

GO LINDSAY!:bounce:

OMG! *jealous* ;)

Have fun Leo!!

gossipcom
Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:19 PM
Woohoo Lindsay's through to the Quarters *yay* she's equalled her performance last year which is definitely good - no major lose of points there.

She won 6/3 6/1

Jan
Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:33 PM
Yeah, its good that she has consolidated her last years points, its all bonus from now on!!

GO GO GO LINDSAY

:cool:

shirley
Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:00 PM
http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/blobs/bounce.gif Good Luck Lindsayhttp://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/blobs/bounce.gif

Let's hope that Martina keeps her run going so that we can have our dream final .. Lindsay v Martina

shirley
Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:34 PM
Phew!

All I can say is I'm glad that the match is over.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Roll on the semi-finals.

You've done great Lindsay!

gossipcom
Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:59 PM
Congrats Lindsay on making the Semis ;)

She'll have to go past her GS history to win the tournament since she dropped a set and on her way to her 3 GS wins she didn't drop one <g>

Deep down I know it'll be a S. Williams vs Davenport semi-final but can't someone dream that Hantuchova will knock off Serena <g>

mvcy
Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:27 PM
actually i'm so thrill to see her performance during this few days.. she is definetly back in form after the long months break. but i'm bit concern bout the match against williams sisters or jeniffer, perhaps? i really hope she wont involve in any injury any more and make it to the final this year! it would be the greatest news for all of us, right? so, lindsay, juz show the world that u r truly number 1!!!!

Go, Lindsay!

RayRob
Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:42 PM
Hi Guys,

At least we know that Lindsay is willing to step up the pace for a three set match. After loosing the first set she just came back out and demolished her opponent (Bovina I think it was) 2 and love.

GO Lindsay - we know you can do it!

I don't care if it's Serena she'll have to play in the semi's - in order to be the best you got to beat the best! And for the past few monthes (whilst Lindsay has been out) Serena has been the best.

Let's go Lindsay and show the world what you can do!

-Rachel:bounce:

Leo7
Sep 4th, 2002, 12:56 AM
Serena vs. Lindsay :eek: :bounce:

i'm excited for this match, i hope Lindsay can pull through! i was kinda upset though that Chanda couldn't finish off Venus when she had the chance, that would have made things easier for Lindsay if she gets to the Finals!

did you see her emotion when she won? it was so great to see her with a great big smile on her face a rare fist pump. she said afterwards in the interview on USA that reaching the Semis of this USO was the best achievement of her career b/c of the knee injury!:)

5 down, 2 more to go...

Leo7
Sep 4th, 2002, 01:02 AM
oh, i forgot to tell you guys!

i saw Lindsay's 4th round match yesterday at the Open! i almost left early b/c of the rain, but luckily i stuck around and by 6:00 the players were on court!:)

i got scared a bit at first when Lindsay dropped the first two games b/c she wasn't playing well. but she really picked up her game, started dictating play, and was moving MUCH better!:) and of course i was cheering really hard for Lindsay during the match, i got pretty loud at times!lol! the crowd was kinda silent though, alot of people had left b/c of the damn rain!

i love seeing Lindsay play live, it's so great!

Irish
Sep 4th, 2002, 05:34 AM
WIN LINDSAY!!! BEAT SERENA! :hearts::bounce:

Nikki
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Go Lindsay:bounce: :bounce:

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 4th, 2002, 04:16 PM
COME ON LINDSAY!!!!!
BEAT SERENA!!!!!!

joaco
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:03 PM
You really can do it Lindsay!!! COME ON!!!!!!!!!1

Nikki
Sep 5th, 2002, 02:25 PM
C'mon Lindsay you can do it:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

LittleTennisFan
Sep 5th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Congrats in reaching the semis again Lindsay http://www.smilies.nl/bounce/1blue1.gif

http://www.smilies.nl/bounce/huepfenred.gif Good Luck Lindsay http://www.smilies.nl/bounce/huepfenred.gif

Viva
Sep 6th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Congrats Linds!!!

I don't know if I can watch! I am not good with these games and I get very nervous and edgey. Plus last time I watched a match like this a book got "accidently" ripped........

Greenout
Sep 6th, 2002, 02:26 PM
I'll be watching and cheering for Lindsay in the wee
hours here. Those Williams fans are really piss*ng me
off. One tennis ball has even been hit in the two semi-
finals and their thrashing Amelie and Lindsay. This is
utter BS. We ALL know that both players have the game,
and the fire power to nuke a Williams. IMHO the match
all depends not on the so called "level above" Williams
crew;but if Lindsay and Amelie are willing to play the
mental game to beat them. It will come down to sheer
will, guts, and soul to do it; and I know they both have it.

I recall a certain 1997 match with Hingis against Iva Majoli
at ROLAND GARROS. Nobody nor their little French Poodle
gave Iva a chance. Even Hingis was acting like she won
the title already during the post match interviews after
the semi's, and look what happened!! LOL.

Yes, you can be too smug, and in love with yourself.
Look at Kournikova. I'm assuming that Serena will
under estimate Lindsay. All it takes is some un-returnable
"aces" and "Winners" to the Williams to blow their ego's.
I have an odd feeling that unlike last year's Williams lovefest;
the crowd might be cheering for Lindsay and AMelie.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

I can't see Lindsay and Amelie letting it just wash over
them. I see 3 setters!!!

gossipcom
Sep 6th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Good luck Lindsay - I've decided to tape the match instead of watching it live so in case a miracle occurs today and she pulls off the upset of the tournament I can watch it again <g>

Here's hoping that miracle occurs!

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 6th, 2002, 04:03 PM
I'm praying for Lindsay's success!!!!!!!!!!

GOD BLESS LINDSAY!!!!!!!!

kazbeee
Sep 6th, 2002, 04:40 PM
We all beleive in you Lindsay - go kick some ass!!!!!

gossipcom
Sep 6th, 2002, 10:45 PM
Lindsay put in a good fight in her match - of course I'd love to know what happened when she was 5-2 up the second set because it unfortunately seems like she choked there :( to lose the match.

Anyway good effort to get to the semis Lindsay.

GoDominique
Sep 7th, 2002, 01:14 AM
Lindsay didn't choke.

Serena easily won her service-game at 2-5.
At 5-3, Lindsay got many good first serves in, but Serena played an awesome return-game. At 15-40, Lindsay saved the first BP, but at the 2nd BP she missed a forehand just wide.
Lindsay then played a great return-game as well which gave her 3 set-points. 2 of them Serena saved with an ace, the 3rd one Lindsay got her racket to the serve but Serena blasted a forehand-winner.
After the game Lindsay was a bit demoralised and lost her service-game at 0. But who wants to blame her ? Serena was just a bit too good.

Viva
Sep 7th, 2002, 01:38 AM
She looked upset...understandably, but it tore me up.

I'm so depresed. While she played well in the second set I wonder what would have happened had it gone to 3.

I hope this isn't demoralising Lindsay too much - seeing as she lost to a Williams again.

Have you ever wished you were at the match and could just yell out, "Keep your head up Lindsay!", "Give her all you got!" and other stuf to motivate. I know they block out the crowd but....I don't know.......

gossipcom
Sep 7th, 2002, 02:50 AM
The game that lost it for her was the one at 5-5 when she lost to love that was the demoralising one if there were any.

She spoke in her press conference saying it seemed like a choke - but it was in fact Serena stepping up a level - actually I liked that Rob was happy with her result and it was Lindsay who was disappointed.

From the Press Conference (courtesy of US Open website)

Q. About you, it's a disappointment today. But if someone told you three months ago you'd be in the semifinals of the US Open, would you have taken that?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, it's tough to say that now. I just came off the court and, you know, Robert is obviously very happy and just said, "Oh, just think how far you came to get here." But at the same token, little less than an hour after the match, having my chances to at least pull out the second set, it's disappointing.

But definitely I have come a long, long way. I still think I can get better, and that's why I'm going to keep playing. If I didn't think I could get better, if I had plateaued, it would be tough to keep coming back. But I do think I can still improve.

I just admire Rob as a coach - and if they're in Sydney in January and I manage to take time off work again I'm going to hunt him down and embarrass the hell out of him again when I asked him for his autograph ;)

I still say wait to the WTA End of Year Championships if she makes it and also the Australian Open - because by that time she'll have tons of match practice under her belt.

The waking up at 3.30am is starting to take a toll on me now and we've still got the men's semi final tomorrow *ugh*

Greenout
Sep 7th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Honest opinion? I didn't like the match one bit.
Lindsay didn't try hard enough, and I know she could've.
What bothered me the most was Serena's pathetic
atttitude. She may have won the match;but she'll never
win the hearts of tennis fans like other champions have
throughout the years. Why? Well ...for starters, what
was the "Maurice Green" intimidation , strutting BS about
during the coin toss? I didn't like the way she walked
about 12 feet in front of Lindsay when they entered
the stadium. Most of the times, people go out about
the same time, at least near each other. That was a
total psyche job, and Lindsay fell for it. Serena treated
Lindsay like she was a journeywoman. Lindsay's won
3 grand slams, and was number 1. The whole match
was grim. Lindsay looked wounded. I know it wasn't
only me who felt that way, since alot of people seemed
to have left their seats after the 1st set. I found Richard
Williams constant walking around, and standing up
to the crowd when the match was on utterly in poor
taste.

Tv commentators, sports writers- can go on kissing
the Williams behinds, but someone should stand up
and say the truth. The un-gracious, un-sportsmenship,
and self importance is not appealing at all. It's tired
old, and not worth my time nor respect.

Leo7
Sep 7th, 2002, 04:05 AM
nice effort, Lindsay!;) take it one step at a time, and once you get that confidence back you'll be at the top again...where you belong!:)

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 7th, 2002, 04:12 AM
I just came in here to applaud Linds efforts. She came back from a knee injury and made it to the semi and gave serena a run for the match in the second set.

Linds was the only challenge serena has faced in this tournament and you can tell that davenport is fully recovered and can only get better.

I also liked lindsays interview, she's confident but is not afraid or intimidated to give credit.

Greenout, I am not going to spoil this thread by responding to you. Obviously you have issues with the williams sisters that blinds you to reality.

In any case Great Job Linds!

Leo7
Sep 7th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Greenout
Honest opinion? I didn't like the match one bit.
Lindsay didn't try hard enough, and I know she could've.
What bothered me the most was Serena's pathetic
atttitude. She may have won the match;but she'll never
win the hearts of tennis fans like other champions have
throughout the years. Why? Well ...for starters, what
was the "Maurice Green" intimidation , strutting BS about
during the coin toss? I didn't like the way she walked
about 12 feet in front of Lindsay when they entered
the stadium. Most of the times, people go out about
the same time, at least near each other. That was a
total psyche job, and Lindsay fell for it. Serena treated
Lindsay like she was a journeywoman. Lindsay's won
3 grand slams, and was number 1. The whole match
was grim. Lindsay looked wounded. I know it wasn't
only me who felt that way, since alot of people seemed
to have left their seats after the 1st set. I found Richard
taste.

first of all i agree that Richard is a disrespectful bastard, but i have to defend Serena here. i'm not a fan, but i know that she greatly respects Lindsay as one of her biggest rivals. both Venus and Serena always have the best things to say about Davenport in post-match interviews and give her the credit she deserves.

i may not support the Williams Sisters, but i respect them and their fighting spirit. Serena fights back from 2-5 down, and saves 3 set points with a couple of aces and a forehand winner. Venus comes back from 0-40 down at 5-4 in the final set with 5 big serves in a row!:eek: that's impressive. they are certainly a level above the rest and i hope Lindsay can reach that level. i know she will improve her game.

joaco
Sep 7th, 2002, 04:45 AM
with you Leo. We just have to accept it Greenout. Next time Lindsay will finish the set and the match, I'm also very upset and even though I would like Serena or Venus to get injured when they're playing Lindsay ;) we must admitt they're great players and competitors

Joaco

GO LINDSAY!!! NEXT TIME IT WILL HAPPEN!!!:bounce:

gossipcom
Sep 7th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Greenout
I found Richard
taste.

Greenout I couldn't have said it better myself - I said almost the exact same thing to my mother this morning after the match - saying wish someone would tie him down to that freaking chair ;)

This is where I think Venus has a few more manners than Serena - Venus' match was more a struggle but at least she didn't go dancing around the court - so hopefully she can beat Serena tomorrow <g>

For a moment there when Lindsay was up 5-2 in the second set I thought Serena was going to call a timeout for her knee injury because she was limping around there and imo was very lucky not to get a time violation warning.

So basically in the end, yes I think the Williams sisters have lifted the playing level to one that is higher than before (speaking of that loved Lindsay's answer on comparing generations - finally someone made the reporters realise you can't compare them) but I have to say some of their on-court antics do get on my nerves sometimes.

Nadine

(who really should have had more than an hour's sleep last night)

Greenout
Sep 7th, 2002, 04:52 AM
We can respect their tennis performance, but
the other stuff is up to debate.

joaco
Sep 7th, 2002, 05:19 AM
gossipcom and greenout I reaaaaaaally deslike Richard Williams, he should have more respect for Lindsay. Hope someone beats him the hell up. He is SO disrespectful to the other players that are not his daughters and as you said "he's not worth my time nor respect"

Leo7
Sep 8th, 2002, 01:29 AM
S. WILLIAMS def L. Davenport 6-3 7-5
THE MODERATOR: First question for Lindsay, please.

Q. What seemed like a nice big 5-3 lead there, then all of a sudden... Serena just starts serving unbelievably. What happened?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, I mean, a player that's had an incredible year. You know, nothing seemed to bother her, especially obviously the biggest game -- well, the closest game was at 5-4, three set points - you know, two really well-placed first serves and a second serve at, you know, 92 on the line or whatever it was. That's incredible playing at a tight time. I wish I had been able to serve a little bit better of a game.
You know, she just came up with some big serves at the right time the whole match, and, you know, really big game to just hang in there in the second set.

Q. That first -- when you were down on set point, she had 102 mile-per-hour right inside the line. You stood there and looked down at the line for a minute. What goes through an athlete's mind, somebody makes such a perfect shot?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, it's tough. You hope to get in that position, and, you know, if someone can come up with the goods at that point, you definitely have to shake your head and say, "That's too good." It's tough with her. She has both serves. You almost have to guess a lot of times. When she's hitting a first serve, I suppose it's a little bit like Pete. The guys just don't know where he's going.
I didn't really ever have a good clue on where she's going. Especially on the big points, she mixed it up well.
You know, I was disappointed, but you look back now and you just have to say, "That's too good," on those three points that she played.

Q. Is there any part of you that can appreciate the level that she's getting to, she's arrived at, or is still getting to?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, I think that, you know, her serve is fantastic. You know, she served a really big match the whole match. And, you know, I think her ground strokes are good but she still threw in a lot of errors today. I should have won the second set or could have won the second set and had my chances.
So she's definitely getting better, but I still thought that I had some good chances out there.

Q. How much of your own lack of match play factored into this particular match?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I don't think it did.

Q. Amelie pushed Venus pretty hard. You pushed Serena. Does this give everybody a little hope that if you get better you can break this up?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Who knows? I mean, both matches, at the big moments, they stepped it up, you know, an incredible level. I mean, Venus, I think the last game was Love-40, the game was over pretty quickly. Same with my match.
But, you know, I think Amelie and I, we're competitive. At the same token, you know, we had our chances out there. Maybe people are happy all the matches were competitive, but I think we're both disappointed that we weren't able to go further.

Q. Two sisters meeting in their fourth Grand Slam final. How amazing is that to you?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Most amazing thing in sports almost. I mean, it's amazing. You know, everyone, like I've said before, I mean, could you imagine Tiger Woods challenging a sibling to go head-to-head for all the majors? And in an individual sport, no less. They don't have teammates to help them along.
They both have different -- I mean, I think different attributes that makes them good players. I mean, they're similar in their athletic ability and shots, but they are two different players out there and have both learned to, you know, be at the top.

Q. About you, it's a disappointment today. But if someone told you three months ago you'd be in the semifinals of the US Open, would you have taken that?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, it's tough to say that now. I just came off the court and, you know, Robert is obviously very happy and just said, "Oh, just think how far you came to get here." But at the same token, little less than an hour after the match, having my chances to at least pull out the second set, it's disappointing.
But definitely I have come a long, long way. I still think I can get better, and that's why I'm going to keep playing. If I didn't think I could get better, if I had plateaued, it would be tough to keep coming back. But I do think I can still improve.

Q. New Haven you were one game away from taking a set from Venus. Today you were one game away from taking a set from Serena. Do you feel like when they're challenged, it's waking a sleeping giant, it makes it worse?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I mean, they definitely, right now being at the top, have the confidence to step up their game when it's close and when they're down. A lot of times that is all confidence and that is all belief in yourself. They definitely have that now with just their success over the last 12 months.
Hopefully, the more I'm out here and the more I'm playing, hopefully be able to finally serve one of these sets out.

Q. Pete and Andre have had a great rivalry because of the differences in their games and personalties. Do you think Venus and Serena are capable of that because they're sisters, or are they different enough that they can have that?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think in any rivalry it's great when you have two different styles of play or just a little bit of contrast in the players. So, you know, it's tough for them because they do play similar games, and it's very tough to get a very good match with two power hitters. Power hitters sometimes like the balls a little softer, it's hard to get a rally going when they both have such huge serves.
But, again, I'm sure they'll get better and better playing against each other. It must be a very difficult situation. They really seem to only play each other in these big tournaments, so there's also a lot of pressure on them at that time as well.

Q. Looking at tomorrow, who do you like? Who wins?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Oh, gosh... (Smiling). I don't know. I mean, it seems like Venus has struggled a little bit more this tournament than Serena. But I haven't watched any of the three -- have they played -- two matches they've played this year, I don't know. I didn't see any of them. I'm not sure how Serena has been winning.
But, you know, I mean, I guess -- I can't -- I don't even know what to say. I have no idea, to be honest (laughing).

Q. Serena's improvement, how much of it is mental? Do you see her thinking her way better through matches? Do you think it's just pure physical improvement?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think it's confidence. I think that came with winning probably her first major since the US Open here all those years ago, so probably the French.
Her game is, I think, you know, the same, except she's stepping it up on the bigger points. All that's confidence. And her serve has always been good. It's probably better now. So that's a big part of her game. I know she's been trying to cut out some errors.
But I think it's just her belief in herself has gone up quite a bit.

Q. Do you think last year at this time Serena Williams could have held off three set points against you?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I don't know (smiling). I don't know.

Q. In terms of just the confidence change, is that kind of the difference?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, I think. I mean, she's played a phenomenal tournament this year. She's played a phenomenal three Slams in a row. I mean, that's tough to do. Consistency in her game has definitely gone up. I would say, yeah. I mean, I think she played the bigger points better today than she did last year when I played her here.

Q. Does Serena do more with her serve than Venus?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: She places it a lot better.

Q. How do you feel about having the opportunity to play in this era with the Williamses playing as prolific as they are?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I feel very fortunate and I feel very fortunate that, you know, I'm at the top of the game with them. It's an incredible time. I've played through probably two different eras, I played a little bit with Navratilova, a lot with Graf, a lot with Seles. It's a different ballgame now and much more athletic ,much harder balls, much better placement on serves. It's only getting better so far.

Q. Does it provide an opportunity to raise your game?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, I'm trying. I mean, you definitely have to. You have to get better or you're going to fall in the rankings and not be competitive anymore. So it's definitely a lot of pressure to keep your game up and keep it consistent, but keep getting better as well.

Q. Sports fans love to compare eras. If you could even rank Serena, Venus, Graf and Navratilova on a slow hard court, how would you put them one, two, three, four?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It's the one thing you can never do in tennis. You cannot compare eras because it's not a level playing field. They didn't have the same equipment. They didn't have any of the same stuff.
I've always been a big believer you can't compare Sampras and Laver, you can't compare all these people. You just go with what you're given.
You know, I think last night they were showing McEnroe played Chang here in 1990. Chang's hardest first serve was 105. His second first serves were going in the 60s. That's only been ten years ago. You can see women's tennis has gotten better. It's not really fair. Navratilova didn't have to come up with huge second serves because no one was attacking then.
So it's very difficult to ever do that, I believe.

Q. Putting it a different way, do you feel Navratilova and Graf could obviously, in their primes and with equipment, compete and be with the Williamses?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Sure. Once you get used to something, I don't think you could take Steffi Graf from 1998 against Venus Williams of 2002. Steffi didn't have to play against that kind of power or shape her game around it. So, you know, I just think that's really difficult to say.

Q. At this stage, do you now work on things to beat specific players or do you just do the normal thing where you're working on keeping your strengths strong?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, I think that I could probably do a few things to kind of maybe be a little bit more prepared to play Venus and Serena next time, getting ready for some -- you play girls and you serve a good serve at 104, 105, it doesn't come back. You play against them, it comes back hard and deep. Sometimes you're not ready for those balls to come back.
But, you know, I don't know. I mean, for right now I'll probably take a week off and just let my body recover, and then get back out there and try and always work on my serve and just try and keep running more balls down.

Q. When the two sisters came along, four, five years ago, did you have any qualms about whether they could make it given the way that the father was coaching them, the lack of junior playing?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, I mean, I think everyone has their doubts and everyone has their feelings until someone actually does it. It's the same with anybody. But certainly they took a unique way -- a unique path in how they kind of went up the pro ranks, and it's amazing. I mean, they've always had the potential, but then you have to put it together mentally and consistently. They've been able to do that the last two years.

Q. When Serena won in '99 here, the first time, a lot of people thought that Richard was right and that she was going to end up being the better of the two sisters. Venus ran off all those Opens and Wimbledons. Are they interchangeable now, or do you feel Serena is clearly superior to Venus?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Time will tell. I mean, they're pretty even right now I think in Slams won, how it's been.
Like I said, it's unfortunate they always play each other in the finals because I don't think they do play their best because it's so hard. But really, time will tell on that, both very good players, both very similar. It's really tough to say.

Q. Is it even totally different when people were chasing Martina a couple years ago and had to raise their level when she was No. 1, is it that significant a difference now beating Serena and Venus, raising your play to get to that level?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Someone has to raise the level of their play and do it consistently. When you're talking about a Slam, you know, it's tough to beat one of them, let alone two of them, and they're both getting there in the later rounds. So it looks like if you're going to win a Slam, you're going to have to go through both of them now. So it's, you know, it's gonna be tough.
I don't know what to say. Everyone's asking always about that, but I've said before, worry about my own game. I don't feel I'm out here to break up a Williams final. I'm here to see if I can get to the finals.

Q. What player makes you feel as though you're the most pressed?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Both the Williams. You get the sense you play them that you can't let up, can't just get balls in, because then they can hit winners. It's very hard to break both of them. And, yeah, I mean, it's a lot more pressure than the other players I faced.

Jan
Sep 9th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Thanks for this report/interview, interesting!

COME ON LINDSAY - LETS GO
:D