PDA

View Full Version : Kimiko Date Rises Again-Will play Australian Open qualifying!!!

Sund7101
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:52 PM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=2658

The story is on the WTA Tour website. :worship:

drake3781
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:54 PM
So exciting!

kwilliams
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM
^ I think she hopes to get into the Australian Open qualifying. If I remember correctly her ranking isn't quite there yet. Do they give wildcards into qualifying events? If they do then they should give one to her!

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM
OH!!! YES!!!! That was the news I've been waiting for. I like also how the the door is left a little bit open on the possibility that she will continue to play more WTA events outside Japan after the Australian Open. "I haven't decided on anything after that. It depends on my body, but I'm really going to work hard." That quote to me suggests all possibilities are open if things go well.

I think next year will be a lot of fun. I can't wait to see Kimiko on the grass of Wimbledon again. :)

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:02 PM
^ I think she hopes to get into the Australian Open qualifying. If I remember correctly her ranking isn't quite there yet. Do they give wildcards into qualifying events? If they do then they should give one to her!

Her ranking right now is borderline but it won't take much to push her over the edge. Even if Kimiko doesn't beat Peer with 3 further ITFs still to come I would be very very surprised if Kimiko doesn't make the qualifying on her own merits.

Kworb
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Let's hope she reaches the SF again. :)

Rising Sun
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
There's no doubt she's motivated. ;)

I wonder if the 3 events include the Japan Open? She didn't enter the next $25K, so we'll see if she enters the one after that... :confused:

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah, i just read this article last night. I looove Kimiko! :hearts: I think her ranking will be good enough to get into the Australian Open Qualis. The cut off is usually around 250 and her ranking at the moment is #228 with no points to defend for a very long time ;)

hankqq
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM
hell yeah :rocker2:

go Kimiko, it's your birthday :dance:

drake3781
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM
To who asked: yes they do give WCs to qualifying.

I love watching Kimiko's ranking go up! Will be tracking it for us, based on this week's results!!

cn ireland
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Its great to see that at the age of 38, Kimiko still loves the game. It'd be brilliant for tennis if she did play qualifying for AO 09:D.

Valanga
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
C'mon Kimiko:)

Drake1980
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Cool!:D:bounce:

markdelaney
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:57 PM
she'd probably win the asian wildcard play off. If someone as out of sorts as Iroda Tulyaganova can win it for 2 years then I'm sure Kimiko would

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:02 PM
she'd probably win the asian wildcard play off. If someone as out of sorts as Iroda Tulyaganova can win it for 2 years then I'm sure Kimiko would

Good point that. :worship:

mauresmofan
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Well when I read how sporty she remained after her first tennis career doing the London Marathon etc I'd be suprised if her body couldn't cope with this comeback. She's doing really well and a win over Casey is just incredible so her level must be there she just needs consistancy to repeat these sort of performances

Bosco123
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I can't wait to see Kimiko on the grass of Wimbledon again. :)

I don't think she will do well, the tennis has changed allot since 12 years ago, although she did beat Pierce in that Quarter , the same Pierce who almost took a set of Venus 9 years later, but time is not standing on Kimiko's side.

~Eclipsed~
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah, i just read this article last night. I looove Kimiko! :hearts: I think her ranking will be good enough to get into the Australian Open Qualis. The cut off is usually around 250 and her ranking at the moment is #228 with no points to defend for a very long time ;)

No i'm pretty sure the cut off is a lot higher than that. If the main draw cut off is somewhere around 105 and only 96 players compete in qualifying, then that would mean the qualifying cut off is somewhere around 200. I know you have to consider players will withdraw and such.

Nevertheless, she should be able to get into qualifying with a couple more decent results. :cool:

Daniel K
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:46 AM
No i'm pretty sure the cut off is a lot higher than that. If the main draw cut off is somewhere around 105 and only 96 players compete in qualifying, then that would mean the qualifying cut off is somewhere around 200. I know you have to consider players will withdraw and such.

Nevertheless, she should be able to get into qualifying with a couple more decent results. :cool:

Hmm I'm pretty sure it was even lower than or really close to 250 this year as lots of players choose not to fly all the way over here just to play qualifying. But yeah, she should make it with her current rank; to make it a certainty please beat Shahar today.

Buitenzorg
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:22 AM
I think she should qualify for a qualifying spot anyway without expecting a WC ;) go Kimi!

Tennis Ball
Sep 30th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Wow, congrats Kimiko! Nice you're back! I wish other players would follow you.