PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Rodriguez frank views on the WTA Tour (Henin's coach)

schorsch
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM
This article was posted by ~Kiera~ on the JJ forum:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=14152239&postcount=1003

China Open title could put Jankovic back at No. 1
by Matt Cronin, Special to FOXSports.com

On Sunday, world No. 2 Jelena Jankovic won her second 2008 title at the China Open, racing past Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-3, 6-2 in the final. Jankovic is now within a few points of regaining the top spot from Serena Williams, who hasn't played since out-toughing the Serbian in the last round of America's Grand Slam.

Jankovic has had a good but not great year and must be given credit for her consistency and how frequently she straps on her tennis shoes. But the 23-year-old is by no means a legend and is probably not even a legend in the making. Her ascent to No. 1 in early August without reaching a Grand Slam final was a sorry Open-era record, but that would have been quickly forgotten had she managed to claw her way to a three-set victory over Serena.

That she might ascend to No. 1 next week says something more profound: Too many great women's champions are retiring early and leaving some of the tour's biggest honors to those who should have needed more time to achieve them.

Had Belgian and seven-time grand Slam champion Justine Henin not unexpectedly retired in May at the relatively young age of 26, this topic might not be ripe for discussion. But with Henin joining other former Slam champs under the age of 29 like Martina Hingis, Kim Clijsters and Anastasia Myskina in early retirement, it's worth noting.

"That's the face of tennis today, with a player who is reaching No.1 without winning a Grand Slam," Henin's coach Carlos Rodriguez told FOXsports.com of Jankovic, who was 0-9 against Henin. "It's a sign. She's a good player, but when you see Maria Sharapova and the Williams sisters, they not only win Grand Slams, but they have the charisma. They give something extra, not only hitting balls. There's more behind them."

An intense and thoughtful man who took Henin out the juniors to tennis fame, Rodriguez and Henin just opened a branch of their 6th Sense Tennis Academy at the Mission Inn Resort & Club in Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla. They both see an opportunity in the U.S., where many parents of juniors are looking for intelligent coaches with proven track records who understand that teaching children to be champions is more than just about stroke production.

Rodriguez says that one of the reasons that Henin is retired is that she's looking to prove to herself that she can do more than just "hitting the ball" and will only likely consider a comeback once she has taken a very necessary mental break.

But what Henin left after she retired from her most dominant season ever in 2007 is a tour with three legitimate Hall of Fame players and a bunch of developing competitors who really couldn't hold her worn out pair of socks.

"I have a lot of respect for the other players, but outside of the Willamses and Sharapova, the rest are still really poor," Rodriguez said.

It's not like the Argentine doesn't like the potential of some of the kids — it's just that they are so wildly inconsistent. Take Roland Garros champion Ana Ivanovic, who is just 5-5 since winning her first Slam crown in Paris. Sven Groenefeld, whom Rodriguez considers the best coach on tour today, coaches the Serbian, but the 20-year-old is struggling mightily.

"I think Ana can do big things, but she needs more maturity," Rodriguez said. "It's very difficult for a player to learn what to do when she's in trouble. Ivanovic is not able to have a Plan B or C to solve the situations, and she loses complete control. The coach can help with this, but in the end, it's up to the player to find for herself what possibilities will work. The coach can only help you to a certain point."

Rodriguez spent a little time this past summer working with former world No. 4 Anna Chakvetadze but couldn't make it work with the Russian, who has spiraled downward to No. 12. On the outside, Chakvetadze appears to have all the ingredients that Rodriguez would like: foot speed, soft hands, the ability to take the ball on the rise and smarts. But he couldn't get through to the 21-year-old.

"Anna seems like she wants to work, but I told her, at the end of the day, deep inside of you, you don't want to try to go further and to push yourself more to succeed," he said. "I cannot help you if you don't have the will to do something, even if I'm the best or worst coach in the world. She has the talent. But she's really confused as to what she needs to do to succeed to do to become a No. 1 or No. 2 player in the world. She's not ready to make the sacrifices it takes to go to the top, there's not question about it. A champion is one inside and outside the court, and when you take Anna outside the court, she's really a disaster."

Somewhat incredibly, Rodriguez tabbed Nicole Vaidisova as the young player with the most potential. The Czech has the height, power and ball-striking capabilities to do major damage and has reached two Grand Slam semifinals, but the 19-year-old has had a depressing year, falling to No. 22 in the rankings. Vaidisova doesn't always play smart or look motivated.

"She's amazing," Rodriguez said. "It comes back to the entourage she has around her. It's so important. When you are talking mental, these girls are very strong, but when you are talking emotional, it's very hard. The emotional takes over the mental and she completely loses the way. It's a pity. I hope someone can take care of her because she's charismatic and is a really good player, but her emotional (state) and the intelligence is not that good."

Outside of the Williams sisters and Sharapova, there are no players on tour who can consistently win ugly when the chips are down, their bodies are aching and their foes are zoning on them. That's part of the make-up that Henin had, her innate ability to fight like an alley cat even when being attacked by every mangy dog in the alley.

"You can't teach that," Rodriguez said. "You can learn a lot of things, but you cannot change the natural personality of a player. With Serena, Venus, Justine and Jennifer Capriati, they have the personality that even when they weren't enjoying it, they could go through. There's no question that Maria, Serena and Venus are far and away from the other players. Their quality is too good."

Henin put a hurt on all of those players, who also got back at the Belgian in some of the finest matches the tour has seen this century. They may not miss losing to her, but Serena and Sharapova have admitted to missing the thrill of the battle against Henin, trying to figure out which strategy would work against the cagey all-courter's high-variety game.

But Henin isn't coming back anytime soon, if at all, so now it's up one of three other elite players to see if they can dominate like the Belgian did in 2007.

Sharapova just shut down her season due to her inability to recover a tear in her right rotator cuff, and when she returns to defend her Australian Open title in January, she will have more than likely have fallen out of the top 10 and will have missed the vast majority of the second part of the season. Whether the three-time Grand Slam champion can ever truly dominate is an open question.

"She showed that she's able to dominate, but it's not a question of once in a while, it's a question of regularity and the only way she can do it is to concentrate 100 percent on her tennis," Rodriguez said. "If Maria doesn't do that, she's never going to find the consistency throughout the year. In tennis, to be a champion, you have to choose to do everything you have to succeed in your sport. I think today Maria is unable to do so."

Crossover celebrity Sharapova has always stressed that her tennis comes first, and it's hard to argue with her resume. But it's also clear that carrying a $26-million off-court portfolio every year can be demanding. Rodriguez doesn't think that it's only her injuries that are holding her back.

"She has to concentrate, practice and live for her tennis — no endorsements, publicity and wasting time outside of the court with other things that distract you from No. 1," he said. "Once and for all, in front of the mirror, she has to ask herself, 'What do I want to achieve in my career?' I have all the possibilities to be No. 1 and stay there for a long time, but this is the price I have to pay."

Then there's Serena, she of nine Grand Slam titles and with the ambition to go well into the double digits. Now 27-years-old, Serena appears to be on a one Grand Slam per year pace. She's capable of doing better, but time is running short, and there's little room for the party circuit if she's ever going to dominate again.

She, Venus and Jankovic will tee it up in Stuttgart this week. If Serena wants to stay at No. 1, she's going to have to keep her mind focused on the next six weeks — not an easy task after a hard year and when the offseason beckons.

"Serena has the quality, and everything she needs mentally and physically to do it she has," Rodriguez said. "But is she going take care of herself and prepare to go into action? If she does that, I think Serena has another two or three great years left."

__________________________________________________ _______________
:help::fiery::rolleyes:

LeRoy.
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM
For once, he is spot on. :shrug:

Jelena lacks the charisma & talent required to be a year ending # 1 player.

Like someone pointed out a few days agao, there have only been a hanful of year ending # 1's in the history of the game and they all had won slams before getting there. :)

oleada
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Vaidisova as the one with most potential? :lol: Okay...

Jelena lacks the charisma & talent required to be a year ending # 1 player.

If Jelena lacks anything, it's certainly not charisma. And I love Justine, but she wasn't the most charismatic person in the world. I don't see what charisma has to do with your ability to play tennis.

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I am glad he pointed out that the sisters and pova are the cream of the tour,he is pointing out what those in the know have been saying out loud...the rest are pretenders
I have always said that Nicole has great potential if she gets herself together,if she stayed with her dad she could have been top five....
The sisters dont need to put up an act to be charismatic,they are charismatic whether they frown grin or are grumpy...they command attention

Il Primo!
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Wow, I so agree!! Williamspova you'all! :rocker:

Nicole has a great potential, I totally agree :)

PS: Just too bad he didn't endorsed Jelena and diss Ana and Amélie enough :sad:

InsideOut.
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Spot on. :)

schorsch
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM
i think he went way over the top with this interview. he's acting like he invented tennis.

Louis Cyphre
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:56 PM
:yeah:

Its good to see that I have the same views on the WTA Tour like Carlos Rodriguez :devil:

schorsch
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
plus his attitude of putting tennis in front of everything stinks.

human first, tennis player second. and then the juggling and balancing begins.

The Daviator
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:59 PM
"I think Ana can do big things, but she needs more maturity,"

Nice article.

kwilliams
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM

If Jelena lacks anything, it's certainly not charisma. And I love Justine, but she wasn't the most charismatic person in the world. I don't see what charisma has to do with your ability to play tennis.

I think that was just a poor word choice...the rest of the article made it sound like he thought maybe some players lacked true conviction.

Dinayer
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Titi :hearts:

frontier
plus his attitude of putting tennis in front of everything stinks.

human first, tennis player second. and then the juggling and balancing begins.JEEZ you are really sour that he didnt praise Jelena!:p:eek::tape:

homogenius
And all of a sudden, after having criticized him for years, some think the guy is relevant cause he said good things about their faves.How consistent...
Anyway, he just wants some publicity cause he's starting his business in the US.

schorsch
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:04 PM
thx homogenius... uhm looking for the right words to describe your post.

oh ya.

spot on!

he said good things about sharapova as well (except for the offcourt activities) and still i think overall this interview is just ridiculous.

LeRoy.
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Year Ending # 1 players (off the top of my head- I am probably missing someone obvious)

Chris Evert
Martina Navratilova
Steffi Graf
Monica Seles
Martina Hingis
Lindsay Davenport
Serena Williams
Justine Henin

Jelena Jankovic ??? :o :help:

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:08 PM
And all of a sudden, after having criticized him for years, some think the guy is relevant cause he said good things about their faves.How consistent...
Anyway, he just wants some publicity cause he's starting his business in the US.then he knows where the power is....not in Russian players ,Serbian players but American players.They have the power Venus Serena and pova.....:p:rolleyes:

schorsch
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:08 PM
JEEZ you are really sour that he didnt praise Jelena!:p:eek::tape:

it must be some weird coincidence that you're overlooking the fact that he puts somebody you put down a lot too ( sharapova ) in the same group as your WS and critizes all three of them and still all you comment about is jj :)

Sharapowerr
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Very nice words about Maria , the WS and Ana.. but i agree that there are now only 3 champs on tour and also agree what he said about JJ.

homogenius
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:09 PM
then he knows where the power is....not in Russian players ,Serbian players but American players.They have the power Venus Serena and pova.....:p:rolleyes:

Oh you're still alive...Hope you enjoyed the final yesterday.

schorsch
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:10 PM
then he knows where the power is....not in Russian players ,Serbian players but American players.They have the power Venus Serena and pova.....:p:rolleyes:

bold stuff : u wish

masha = russian
end of story

plus

jj developed her game in the states as well and has houses there :wavey:

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I am glad he pointed out that the sisters and pova are the cream of the tour,he is pointing out what those in the know have been saying out loud...the rest are pretenders
I have always said that Nicole has great potential if she gets herself together,if she stayed with her dad she could have been top five....
The sisters dont need to put up an act to be charismatic,they are charismatic whether they frown grin or are grumpy...they command attention

if this is not the truth, i don't know what is. i was watching some of her matches on youtube the other day and getting pissed off. :sad:

good post!

Christinawww
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Henin didn't win her first GS until 2003, just around her 21st birthday. She wasn't exactly consistant as a 20-year old, so he has no right critisizing Ivanovic IMO. SHe still have plenty of time to get it together to dominate

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM
it must be some weird coincidence that you're overlooking the fact that he puts somebody you put down a lot too ( sharapova ) in the same group as your WS and critizes all three of them and still all you comment about is jj :)I am not a pova hater I support her when she plays the Serbians or say Dementieva...whenever the sisters retire if pova is still playing I will support her,she has earned her stripes...there are some players that are so fake that I will never warm up to I wont mention names.:p

améliemomo
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Ivanovic is not able to have a Plan B or C to solve the situations, and she loses complete control

exactly her match against couin in 2nd round US Open:help:

but when you see Maria Sharapova and the Williams sisters, they not only win Grand Slams, but they have the charisma. They give something extra, not only hitting balls. There's more behind them."

agree with that,when you look at jankovic game, she is just hitting and get back balls over and over again.What is her plan exactly??I think none,just hit hit hit till the other make the errors.

(about chakvetadze)
A champion is one inside and outside the court, and when you take Anna outside the court, she's really a disaster."

I knew she has personal and private problems.The way she look on the court is scary so outside may be worse indeed.No real personality and willness to make sacrifices.She's fragile.

Well I completly agree with him,right now apart the williams and sharapova no one has what it needs to be real n°1.This "extra-thing".
He's also right about sharapova and all her endorsements,fashion stuff outside tennis.She can be real n°1 but she has to let down all those things and focus ONLY on tennis.If not she will be just period dominant player, few months per year.

He's right about serena too, lol at the quote She's capable of doing better, but time is running short, and there's little room for the party circuit if she's ever going to dominate again

the party circuit,typical williams sisters:p
she is probably the player who has the shoulders to dominate the tour but its just a probability.Not sure she will do it.:help:

Angelnoir
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Carlos is trying his best to stay relevant.... as if Justine was the most charismatic player on tour, he has some good points but cmon.

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
bold stuff : u wish

masha = russian
end of story

plus

jj developed her game in the states as well and has houses there :wavey:you want me to say Jelena has power..okay she has influence over you Mickey Mouse...happy

try to imagine the money that Serena and Venus have together compared to Jelena...they have been on the Forbes list for almost a decade earning over $10MIL A YR...THATS WHAT QUALIFYS THEM TO BE INFLUENCIAL THEY HAVE EARNED THAT ON COURT:pthat means the people with money have faith in them

schorsch
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:21 PM
power alone doesnt win matches -__- ask justine :wavey:

plus

money = power? sad way to see life as a whole.

plus

venus hasnt made the semis of a tournament this year except wimbledon and bangalore with a not so packed field. yes she's always gonna be a contender at a gs, but her results are disappointing for a player like her.

i dont like this "only gs matter" attitude... i wish the top players would take the rest of the tour seriously as well and thats the only thing i agree with carlos on except for the obvious case of vaidisova who indeed is extremely talented.

eugreene2
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM
This man is an admitted cheater ... I really am not interested in what he has to say.

enchantrezz
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:26 PM

Had Belgian and seven-time grand Slam champion Justine Henin not unexpectedly retired in May at the relatively young age of 26, this topic might not be ripe for discussion.

Added to that Justin retired when she was rank # 1. Thats a big factor and Carlos shouldnt be so harsh. Steffi Graf became the player that she was because she had to learn to beat the top players , Martina and Chris. Like it or not, WS also became better and smarter players because they had to learn to beat Hingis.

It should have been the case for Jankovic , Ivanovic and other young players. You have got to give credit to the current top players because they are really working hard to be the best , and for their sake I hope the WS stays longer on the tour until a true heir apparent comes along.

HRHoliviasmith
I am not a pova hater I support her when she plays the Serbians or say Dementieva...whenever the sisters retire if pova is still playing I will support her,she has earned her stripes...there are some players that are so fake that I will never warm up to I wont mention names.:p

I ONLY support her when she's playing demented. and even then I wish there was a way that they would both lose. :lol: :lol:

besides being tall and blonde, i don't see the charisma that everyone is talking about with sharapova. ivanovic either. it just doesn't come across to me.

homogenius
The ubertalented Nicole Vaidisova just lost 6-1 6-2 to Na Li :sad:

Dave.
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Interesting thoughts. I kind of agree. The new names that have got right to the top in the last year or so (especially Jankovic and Ivanovic) perhaps should have been pushed more before being thrown into the no.1 ranking. Ivanovic has struggled since winning the French and Jankovic, as consistent as she is, is most of the time unable to win the biggest matches. I think they are both talented and both can go on to achieve great things, but I think they need to prove to themselves that they are mentally stronger.

The tour is going through a stage of lacking proven champions at the top. The Williams sisters are really the only top players who could be considered all-time greats, and it's hurting the standard at the top that we don't have anyone else. If Davenport could get back up there, it would make the top 10 so much stronger. I wouldn't quite put Sharapova in with the Williams sisters (or Davenport if she was full time). She is alot closer to Jankovic/Ivanovic/Kuznetsova than she is to the WS.

For now, the Williams sisters are the strongest mentally and will always be favourites to win on the biggest stage until someone else steps up and proves they can do it too. But everyone deserves to be where they are currently ranked. Should Jankovic finish the year at no.1 then so be it, that is the standard, it's fine.

hankqq
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for article. :)

I was interested to read his comments about Ivanovic, Jankovic, Vaidisova and Chakvetadze. I'm not sure if I agree with him though when he said Henin and Vaidisova have charisma and Jankovic doesn't :lol:

Kworb
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:29 PM
He's right for the most part.

Serenita
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Weird article. according to Carlos 1ST TENNIS>>>>>>>>>>> PEOPLE.
Don't he realize that's why many retire to early? to much tennis.

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I ONLY support her when she's playing demented. and even then I wish there was a way that they would both lose. :lol: :lol:

besides being tall and blonde, i don't see the charisma that everyone is talking about with sharapova. i guess it just doesn't come across to me.I agree with you
:lol::lol::lol::tape:

schorsch
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM

thats a big factor as to why the WS are still here and Justine is gone... so he better :tape: next time.

that plus family.

for gods sake it took justine 3039840394 years to reunite with one of the most important things in ones life: family. and it only happened, because one of them was close to death / in hospital.

the disgusting thing is that he used this sadness / toughness of it as an incentive for justine to do better on the tour.

i will never ever understand that guy.

and also he's praising them for how good and special they are, but they follow a completely different style and approach to tennis and life than he believes is the right one and guess what? they've won many gs, too, seem HAPPY at the same time and have amassed not only titles, but life experiences. results: not burnt out, more balanced and not sort of that depressed like the kind of thing we saw on court and in interviews from justine. those smiles and this body language of "being alive" after retiring were so telling.

i think this kind of balance of life and tennis is extremely important and lately the vast majority have been picking up on it.
masha, ws, jj, ana, ... to name a few top players.

and even vaidisova... who's trying to find herself and who she is and what she wants. enjoy herself a bit and such.

Jakarta
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I think we're misunderstanding what he meant by "charisma". He's not talking about personalities of
the players, but the little extra that they bring to the game. So they have the ability to change
their games to win, even when they're not playing so well, they have a dominating shot or
that superlative style, a verve, that can pull them out of a dire situation. I doubt, even as Henin's coach, he would be praising her charismatic personality, or lack thereof.

sammy01
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:40 PM
my worst fears about chakvetadze have just been confirmed. i know shes ubber talented and as like most suspect shes a nutcase, well carlos has spent some time with her and just confirmed this. i wish anna would read that and realise the chance is there, people who know tennis know anna has something special shes just completely let down by being a complete disaster mentaly. i'll always support chak but i fear i may spend her career saying what if?

as for the rest of the tour i've said many times it stinks right now, there are 3 great players and a bunch of inconsistent wannabes.

simplydeep
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:41 PM
He is spot on, i agree with everything this dude has said.

zestyswans
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I thought what he said about Chaky was interesting. Explains a lot.

The rest we've heard before.

Brena
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:56 PM
thats a big factor as to why the WS are still here and Justine is gone... so he better :tape: next time.

that plus family.

for gods sake it took justine 3039840394 years to reunite with one of the most important things in ones life: family. and it only happened, because one of them was close to death / in hospital.

the digusting thing is that he used this sadness / toughness of it as an incentive for justine to do better on the tour.

Sad but true. That guy is really creepy. :scared:
And he's such a genius - the WS and Sharapova rae better than the others? No kidding! They only have 5 zillion trophies more than the others combined. Since I knew that before, I guess I'm a tennis expert so I'll open a tennis academy.
Plus, only an idiot could say publicly what he said about Chaky. :o
As for JJ, I have a feeling he'll change his mind. :angel:

Malva
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM
"She showed that she's able to dominate, but it's not a question of once in a while, it's a question of regularity and the only way she can do it is to concentrate 100 percent on her tennis," Rodriguez said. "If Maria doesn't do that, she's never going to find the consistency throughout the year. In tennis, to be a champion, you have to choose to do everything you have to succeed in your sport. I think today Maria is unable to do so."

Crossover celebrity Sharapova has always stressed that her tennis comes first, and it's hard to argue with her resume. But it's also clear that carrying a $26-million off-court portfolio every year can be demanding. Rodriguez doesn't think that it's only her injuries that are holding her back.

"She has to concentrate, practice and live for her tennis — no endorsements, publicity and wasting time outside of the court with other things that distract you from No. 1," he said. "Once and for all, in front of the mirror, she has to ask herself, 'What do I want to achieve in my career?' I have all the possibilities to be No. 1 and stay there for a long time, but this is the price I have to pay."

In full concord with my own view on dilemmas that Maria is facing. How often do you hear about it in the TennisForum?

Note especially: Rodriguez doesn't think that it's only her injuries that are holding her back. I don't think it either.

Temperenka
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Spot on with Anna and Nicole. These two should be right at the heals of Serena right now but are both mental f*ck ups. Maybe he should adopt Nicole and coach her?

Malva
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Somewhat incredibly, Rodriguez tabbed Nicole Vaidisova as the young player with the most potential. The Czech has the height, power and ball-striking capabilities to do major damage and has reached two Grand Slam semifinals, but the 19-year-old has had a depressing year, falling to No. 22 in the rankings. Vaidisova doesn't always play smart or look motivated.

"She's amazing," Rodriguez said. "It comes back to the entourage she has around her. It's so important. When you are talking mental, these girls are very strong, but when you are talking emotional, it's very hard. The emotional takes over the mental and she completely loses the way. It's a pity. I hope someone can take care of her because she's charismatic and is a really good player, but her emotional (state) and the intelligence is not that good."

Too many people focus on Rodriguez praising Vaidišová's potential without noticing what does he actually praise, and that in the same paragraph he questions Vaidišová's emotional qualities and her intelligence. That makes all the difference.

Radek may have taken her motivation but he certainly couldn't have taken her intelligence from her.

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Spot on with Anna and Nicole. These two should be right at the heals of Serena right now but are both mental f*ck ups. Maybe he should adopt Nicole and coach her?

that would be fantastic but would he be able to tear her away from frankenstein?

IceHock
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Well everything he said is true maybe besides saying Jelena isn't charismatic, but I mean we've said it before on here after Henin left, there's not that many truly good players left, i'm just waiting for someone to step up like what Safina has done, if the players do this then the tour should be phenomonal, hopefully with the new schedule in place for next year, maybe things will change.

Serenita
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Carlos your guidance of justine failed. she retired to young, the girl was very unhappy playing tennis. i really don't know why people are listening to this guy.

SAEKeithSerena
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Henin didn't win her first GS until 2003, just around her 21st birthday. She wasn't exactly consistant as a 20-year old, so he has no right critisizing Ivanovic IMO. SHe still have plenty of time to get it together to dominate

very much agreed. however, the rest of the article was spot on.

Dodoboy.
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:04 PM
He is right! As was Doni yesterday! She was saying the exact same things.

I agree with him for most of the article.

Chaky bit is very interesting indeed. He has a lot of knowledge that is clear.

I wonder how the academy went!

Optima
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:06 PM
The article is ridiculous. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Jankovic fan.

He should leave all of this "charisma" stuff at home. Justine is one of my favorite players, but he has no right to talk about charisma. Justine is one in 100,000. He's been jaded by all of Justine's success. Actually, I think a ton of people here have been jaded by success. People just don't understand that tennis is not only about grand slams - it's about personalities, personal stories, trying to better oneself all the time; not just by winning grand slams. Grand slams are important of course, and will determine if you're remembered in the long run, but I don't think he can comment on other girls work ethics, and "charisma" - they all try their best out there, and he's comparing them to Justine for some reason without taking into account their personality, personal life, etc. People tend to forget grand slam classic first round encounters or say, some tournament that isn't a grand slam, or even in a grand slam because it's not the final. Some best tennis has been played in smaller tournaments, earlier rounds, etc. Players who don't win grand slams - well, they have their place in history because they're some of the best players in history. Not everyone is going to be champion material, and it's not right to bash people who aren't. What if Dementieva never wins a slam? Will that make people who really appreciate tennis forget her? I hope not. It doesn't mean she's useless, wasn't a personality on the tour, a wasted talent, wasn't a hard worker, etc.

Sharapowerr
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Interesting thoughts. I kind of agree. The new names that have got right to the top in the last year or so (especially Jankovic and Ivanovic) perhaps should have been pushed more before being thrown into the no.1 ranking. Ivanovic has struggled since winning the French and Jankovic, as consistent as she is, is most of the time unable to win the biggest matches. I think they are both talented and both can go on to achieve great things, but I think they need to prove to themselves that they are mentally stronger.

Blablabla
If Davenport could get back up there, it would make the top 10 so much stronger. I wouldn't quite put Sharapova in with the Williams sisters (or Davenport if she was full time). She is alot closer to Jankovic/Ivanovic/Kuznetsova than she is to the WS..

Blablabla.

Just get over it and accept that DAVENPORT ISN T GOING TO BE IN THE TOP 10 , she can t win from good players especially from Maria.. the match at the AO this year .. was like a training match for Maria...

Maria is just 21 and won 3 GS , Davenport she is competing for 20 years...?? and also won 3 slams , she needs to retire anyway she looks older than Martina Navratilova :wavey:

Matt01
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Just get over it and accept that DAVENPORT ISN T GOING TO BE IN THE TOP 10 , she can t win from good players especially from Maria.. the match at the AO this year .. was like a training match for Maria...

Maria is just 21 and won 3 GS , Davenport she is competing for 20 years...?? and also won 3 slams , she needs to retire anyway she looks older than Martina Navratilova :wavey:

:rolleyes:

No need to seriously comment on that crap. Maria is currently injured will possibly never come back and retire soon while Davenport is still winning and playing tournaments, get over it :wavey:

Radix2
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM
A spot on analysis from Carlos.

The Daviator
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM

Linds had a training match against Maria too, I won't remind you cos I'm sure you know full well what I'm talking about :wavey:

She won't be top 10 again, but neither will Maria when she's 32, so big deal.

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Spot on.

Rodriguez was coach to arguably the best player of her generation, he is entitled to his opinions.

Personally I always found him narrow-minded and dislikable, the Vladimir Putin of tennis coaches if you like.
And this article kind of confirms it. :lol:

To all the whiners saying this current generation sucks, are you the same lot moaning when one player was winning all the titles last year?

We have had 4 different Slam winners this season.
Those 4 along with Safina, Dementieva and Jankovic have been cleaning up with the tier trophys.

All the talk of worst number 1 has been done to death. The top of the rankings are in transition. A power vacuum in a weird season if you like. All right for us in the bubble week in week out. The casual observer will look at the current top 10 and see no Pierce, Capriati, Hingis, Clijsters, Davenport, Mauresmo, Henin. Where have all the stars gone, the game is in crisis.

Hoping in 2009 one or two of the top players can make it more interesting,
and take it to the next level. :angel:what did you want him to say...that Jelena is the best in the world especially when Henin beat her 9 times out 9:rolleyes:

fammmmedspin
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:53 PM
He's right. Four players who would be in the top 6 playing at top form or near it are retired prematurely. The other's look like the reserve team. The comparison with capriati is instructive - Jen learnt her match fighting trade in 1991 1nd 1992 playing the best as a young reen. Kim and Justine honed their games playing far more matches . The tour has over-reacted to both the problems of playing too young and too much and changed the wrong things with the result that modern players have little match experience and still suffer from exhaustion or burn out or injury.
No stars, retiring champions and decreasing numbers o0f tournaments is a recipe for disaster - you would think someone would do something about it.

Bijoux0021
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:57 PM
This man is an admitted cheater ... I really am not interested in what he has to say.
EXACTLY!

He and Justine are both well-known cheaters and liars.

Apoleb
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:00 PM
He's correct on all counts.

Sharapova, Serena and Venus are a league above all the others and the only true champions on the tour. And that's why they are in my hitlist and not my shitlist. :o

Costanza
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Can't you enter any thread without your JJ obsession?

It really is quite laughable.

I will use the same joke I always do in this case...

actually the H2H is 9-1
Jelena beat Henin in a privately arranged, hugely competitive practise match.

Justine was pretty much beating the crap out of everyone in 2007,
Jelena suffered more than most.

:bigcry:

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Can't you enter any thread without your JJ obsession?

It really is quite laughable.

I will use the same joke I always do in this case...

actually the H2H is 9-1
Jelena beat Henin in a privately arranged, hugely competitive practise match.

Justine was pretty much beating the crap out of everyone in 2007,
Jelena suffered more than most.:lol::lol::tape::lol::lol::p:lol::tape:

cn ireland
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Eventhoough I couldn't stand Justine I think Carlos is 100% correct in his assessment on the the state of the tour.
At the moment we don't have a decent rivalry between the top players as they don't seem to play each other enough due to injuries and inconsistent form. At least 1 rivalry like Serena/Justine would make the current WTA tour much more interesting.

Having said all that the tour seems to go in cycles and therefore in the next 2 years I'd expect more interesting rivalries to develop and a dominant #1 to emerge (and Serena may have just started her reign as that dominant #1)!!!

Jakeev
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:18 PM
WOW I am a bit shocked by the anti-Jankovic crap by both Cronin and Rodriguez in that article. Absolutely shameful that they would even say stuff like that about her considering she is NOT DEAD and could easily read what they have to say about her.

Considering how hard Jelena works, how popular she is on and off the court and the fact she is a HERO in Serbia just makes me steamed how people are so damn quick to judge without really thinking about what they are saying.

bodan
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM
"A champion is one inside and outside the court, and when you take Anna outside the court, she's really a disaster."

I was almost shocked to read this sentence. So unprofessional. I believe he did not tell Anna something like that in the face. And even if he did, why would you talk like that for the press?

They have worked together for maybe only a month or so. This actually speaks a lot about him as a coach. Something tells me this is not the only reason why they split. Just ask yourself, would you like a coach (a friend, a spouse) who calls you a disaster in front of the press?

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I was almost shocked to read this sentence. So unprofessional. I believe he did not tell Anna something like that in the face. And even if he did, why would you talk like that for the press?

They have worked together for maybe only a month or so. This actually speaks a lot about him as a coach. Something tells me this is not the only reason why they split. Just ask yourself, would you like a coach (a friend, a spouse) who calls you a disaster in front of the press?
Carlos just said it like is,I am sure Anna would want a coach who tells her the truth instead of sugar coating:rolleyes:

bodan
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Carlos just said it like is,I am sure Anna would want a coach who tells her the truth instead of sugar coating:rolleyes:

I hope you are not missing my point. There was certainly a way to tell Anna directly what he thought about her. But, to tell it to press? In those words?

Lack of social skills, if not worse than that.

Nina.
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM

I am sure that Anna needs a coach telling her those things. But she seriously doesn't need a coach/ person she shortly worked with to tell her personal issues to the press.

I hope you are not missing my point. There was certainly a way to tell Anna directly what he thought about her. But, to tell it to press? In those words?

Exactly.

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Lack of social skills, if not worse than that.are you an Anna fan...if the answer is yea then you should care,if you are not....tough titty.Carlos has always been controversial so just pay him no mind;)

Ciarán
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:53 PM

...are you serious? She could be Top 5 if she dumped that Rat Stepanek :fiery: and concentrated on tennis, she has huge potential.

Diesel
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:55 PM

Exactly, the personal attack towards Anna in this fashion was lacking in class. Typical Carlos behavior.

égalité
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Carlos should coach Nicole :speakles:

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I am sure that Anna needs a coach telling her those things. But she seriously doesn't need a coach/ person she shortly worked with to tell her personal issues to the press.

Exactly.
its clear Anna and Carlos didnt have a good working relationship,he doesnt owe her anything she went to him for advice and help ...probably didnt listen so yea Carlos has every right to put her down,deal with it Anna doesnt have what it takes to be called a great player.I think he was annoyed and bored after training a a star pupil like Henin who worked hard and implemented what he taught...

Costanza
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Cronin is not too bad.
Tends to be hyper-critical of her play.
Privately (like a few of us), I sense he has "the hots" for Jelena.

It's the effortless charisma of the lady, you see. :hearts:

Woohoo,propaganda machine is rolling!
More pics,Wayne:bounce:

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:02 PM
what he said is BS!! He just said what people want to hear!

Kampi
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Very disappointing article from the former coach of my fav Justine.:( Full of stupid and disrespectful comments. You should better stay silent, Carlos.

ttaM
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM

"She has to concentrate, practice and live for her tennis — no endorsements, publicity and wasting time outside of the court with other things that distract you from No. 1," he said. "Once and for all, in front of the mirror, she has to ask herself, 'What do I want to achieve in my career?' I have all the possibilities to be No. 1 and stay there for a long time, but this is the price I have to pay." Is there any wonder Justine burned out at 26, less than 5 years after winning her first slam?

It's easy to criticize Venus and Serena for not devoting every waking hour to tennis, but not everyone can have a Martina Navratilova-like tennis regime and last as long as she did. Serena just won her ninth Grand Slam nine years after winning her first, not many players can say that. I think Serena and Venus have achieved as much as they have because they want the distractions off the court: fashion, acting, etc.

I appreciated Justine's dedication to the game, but the regime Carlos probably had her go through officially burned her out mentally a good 4-5 years before it should have. Sure, she could always come back, but who knows what she could have achieved during this time off. Of course, you can argue she wouldn't have achieved as much without that regime. Who knows. But ultimately each player is different than the next.

starin
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:30 PM
So Henin is thinking of coming back??
that was fast

Mightymirza
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:43 PM
:tape: Even Sharapova is more complete player than Vaidisova :tape:

RenaSlam.
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Wow. I expected some negative diatribe regarding the state of the tour.

Nice read.

Temperenka
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Carlos should coach Nicole :speakles:
:rocker:

serenus_2k8
Sep 29th, 2008, 08:21 PM
He says Henin will make comeback :eek:

Serenita
Sep 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM
He shouldn't come near any talented player. look what he did with Justine, the girl left tennis to early, and that's just not right. i really have no respect for this man et all. Justine gave everything up for tennis and lost sow much for doing that! family/love/friends. I mean this should be a example for all those talented girls out there, there is more then only tennis in your life.
Serena/Venus/Maria are great examples on how to balance your private and proffesional life. No you don't have to win every single GS in a year.
As for JJ, i can't imagine the tour with out my drama girl...leave jj alone!

FoxyliciousKhat
Sep 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM
IDK Carlos did not say much that we don't already know so... IMHO he went a bit overboard with his compliments of Justine on court prowess(sp). There were numerous times JH had that panicked look in her eyes and there were much I don't know what to do moments.

Plus Maria will be just fine, quiet as it's kept Maria was never gonna fully dominate with Venus, Serena (healthy or not healthy)and JJ to some extent still tour.

Ana I agree still has some maturing to do but I still think most of her woes right now is to do with coming back from the injury.

We can say whatever we want about consistency but I do agree, JJ need to win more than she's done thus far to be considered an elite. It's unbelievable that she's only won 2 tournaments all year and have gone deep in practically all tournaments she's played.

OH well so much for that.

Foxy

terjw
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Carlos has a whole history of shooting his mouth off in the most ridiculos way. He used to constantly rail against Kim when Justine and Kim were atarting to get along. He'd rail about wanting apologies and saying Justine wouldn't play in the Fed Cup this year or that or without an apology - throwing her toys out the pram. Then guess what. Justine would say something like it was not decided or she would play or Kim and Justine would deny some problem he was stirring up with his lies. And then Carlos would grovel and backtrack on her website and whine what he said had been taken out of context.

He may have been a brilliant good coach with Justine. But I suspect she's about the only one he is really any good at coaching and noe she's gone he misses the attention. I bet that coming back bit is more what he wants than he's got any hard facts.

What he said about Anna is the worst of all. Not only unprofessional but a disgrace to outwardly criticise her like that. He owes her an apology. Coaching someone who isn't going to make the top is beneath him. And he's probably no good at coaching someone unless they are elite. So he makes these snide comments to the world revealing his true colours again.

As for Sharapova and the Williams being miles better than anyone else. Yeah yeah. They are good but not dominant. If they are that much better - why don't they win everything in sight. Why do they ever get beat - and in 2nd / 3rd rounds of a GS too. Yeah yeah injury and JJ plays all the time crap. Well every player gets injured. Jelena has been injured most of the season too and it's only from USO she's been OK on that.

And Justine only played a handful of matches last year but she showed by her results she was miles above anyone else. So why aren't these 3 elite players doing the equivalent of that. Then there's be no argument about JJ and Ana etc being unworthy. He doesn't even mention Safina. The fact is - it's just been a lot closer between a number of players this year.

debopero
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I don't like him

Mikey B
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:14 PM
interesting read, i think he's right on somethings, but as the article went on it began to sound like the ravings of a madman!!! i see where henin got her tennis robot/machine personality on court from!! (which left during 07, her most successful year!) so i think its good to have outside interests, but when you focus on tennis 100% like he said you should then how much personality and charisma can you have if all you think about day in day out for your whole career is how to hit the ball?

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I am surprised posters are angry with him for stating the obvious,I never liked him but in this regard I support him....he tells it like it is.Some posters are disgruntled that he didnt support their favourites but he has been around the tour to know who is good and who is not....he can be bitchy but in this case he is on point.

Slutiana
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Please don't lump the serbs together, saying Jelena doesn't have chrisma is like saying you enjoy watching an errorfest. :o

Tamus
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Please don't lump the serbs together, saying Jelena doesn't have chrisma is like saying you enjoy watching an errorfest. :o

Errorfests :hearts:

Patrick345
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:40 PM
What he is trying to say is that he is an ugly bald 40 year old dwarf, who cannot attract real mature intelligent charismatic women, so he likes to hang around stupid, young, immature athletic girls. Unfortunately he still can´t get any pussy and is getting bitter.

duhcity
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:46 PM
What hes saying is that the most of the top players are still not mature.

but is he truly relevant? If Justine was playing the way she played shortly before she retired, it would have been doubtful that she would've repeated 2007. Ana was in great form at the FO and definetly would've put a better fight than she did in 2007. And Safina ripping open the tour, Serena playing better, in short Justine was a great player, but was mentally out of it.

She may have left the tour number 1, but she didn't leave playing up to her own number 1 standards.

Beat
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM
he's acting like he invented tennis.

absolutely. and he generalizes way too much: not every player ticks the same way, there are different paths to success.

Emina.
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I cant stand him...he's annoying...:o

Corswandt
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:32 PM

Carlos Rodriguez is complimenting Vaidisova because he's effectively pitching himself as her new coach.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I agree with almost everything he said. :yeah:

faboozadoo15
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Jelena certainly doesn't lack charisma. :rolleyes:
And what has that to do with anything, especially coming from the coach of Justine (no offense).

treufreund
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
CARLOS you are not the champion! JUSTINE was the champion. Shut up, Carlos!

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:46 PM
What he is trying to say is that he is an ugly bald 40 year old dwarf, who cannot attract real mature intelligent charismatic women, so he likes to hang around stupid, young, immature athletic girls. Unfortunately he still can´t get any pussy and is getting bitter.he is a married man who has kids so your insinuation is baseless:p

Bruno71
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM
It's not that he may not have been right on certain things, but his line of reasoning is rather absurd. It's like English is his 2nd language to "crazy talk."

Miss Amor
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:56 PM
He is awesome...he improved henin's cheating techniques.

Mackep83
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Carlos go fuck yourself

Neptune
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Carlos Rodriguez is complimenting Vaidisova because he's effectively pitching himself as her new coach.

Do you have any news or you're just saying this like...that.
:lol:

Ferg
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Anyway, he just wants some publicity cause he's starting his business in the US.

:haha:

Corswandt
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Do you have any news or you're just saying this like...that.

What else could it be?

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:14 PM
It's not that he may not have been right on certain things, but his line of reasoning is rather absurd. It's like English is his 2nd language to "crazy talk."Leave Carlos alone he knows these players better than any one of you,there is no reason to be mad just because he didnt praise your favourite:p:tape::lol::rolleyes:how do u know he was speaking in english maybe its a translation of a spanish interview:rolleyes::p

Neptune
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:19 PM
What else could it be?

I have the same approach, but It sounds weird at the same time, don't know why.

Bruno71
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Leave Carlos alone he knows these players better than any one of you,there is no reason to be mad just because he didnt praise your favourite:p:tape::lol::rolleyes:how do u know he was speaking in english maybe its a translation of a spanish interview:rolleyes::p

I'm not the one that keeps telling every single person they don't like what he said because he said something about their favorite. You're transparently happy about what he said because he praised yours. Hypocrite.

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I'm not the one that keeps telling every single person they don't like what he said because he said something about their favorite. You're transparently happy about what he said because he praised yours. Hypocrite.I am giddy Bruno71...over the moon:rolleyes:
Carlos you are da man!!!!:tape::lol:

mattcronin
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:23 PM
From the author:

Allow me to weigh on a few things:

1: Carlos only responded to questions about the players I asked him about, hence the admission of Dementieva, Safina and Kim. I only had a certain amount of time and we also discussed coaching philosophy for a magazine piece I’m doing so I couldn’t fit those folks in.

2: What he essentially means by charisma is that “extra special something” that player takes on court, not charm, which JJ obviously has loads of. JJ still needs to prove that she’s a big time player and she knows that.

3: Chakvetadze publicly spoke about Carlos plenty during the summer, not it’s not out of hand for him to be discussing her. As much as I like her game and think she is smart, thoughtful person, she is struggling emotionally, hence her poor results.

4. I don’t agree with his comments about Maria, but he’s said much the same in the past about players who do a fair amount of modeling, photo shoots, etc.

5. He likes Ivanovic’s potential a lot, but said she’s needs to mature and I’m sure that AI would say much the same.

6. He does not want to coach Nicole and I was stunned as some of you that he thought that she still has such great potential and I told him so. He wants to coach juniors now, not pros.

7: He never said Justine was certain to come back.

7. He admits that he is a tough coach and says that only resilient players like Henin can put up with him.

Got to go but will be back on Tuesday if you want to discuss more...

Best

Matt

ivanban
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Jankovic is a good player, but when you see Maria Sharapova and the Williams sisters, they not only win Grand Slams, but they have the charisma. They give something extra, not only hitting balls. There's more behind them.

:spit: JJ not having charisma :lol: What about Henin then, she had charisma of a toilet paper :weirdo:

"I have a lot of respect for the other players, but outside of the Willamses and Sharapova, the rest are still really poor," Rodriguez said.

So, if rest of tour is really poor.....what exactly Vee won in last 2-3 years except Wimbledon?!!! :cuckoo:

Chakvetadze appears to have all the ingredients that Rodriguez would like: foot speed, soft hands, the ability to take the ball on the rise and smarts

About Vaidisova Carlos says "She's amazing!" and right after that he says "her intelligence is not that good" :rolls:

Oh yeah, I forgot....Nicole also has charisma.....too bad Radek was the first who realised that :p

adeegee
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Carlos Rodriguez was one of the biggest problems with the WTA, he has no right to comment on the state of it. Cheat. Criticising players for their lack of charisma smacks of hypocrisy given Henin's robot personality.

But he's right with most of what he says.

ivanban
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:14 AM
when you look at jankovic game, she is just hitting and get back balls over and over again.What is her plan exactly??I think none,just hit hit hit till the other make the errors.

Her plan is to outsmart opponent, construct well point and preferably finish it off with winner :shrug: It's not like she has some blazing serve or fh to blow opponent off of court

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Ok, ok we got it. Charisma = that extra special thingie...

Now let me ask you this...

If you were to choose between "real charisma" and "extra special charisma" which one would you choose?
Because to play/lead your life the way Carlos wants you to, if you dont have that extra special thingie coming naturally to you / in you and still want to get as close to that as possible... How far will you give up your own personality, life and real charisma..?
What do I need as stated a robot personality for if except for the tough life / game I cant see anything endearing/electrifying/captivating/to a certain pt human in a player?

FoxyliciousKhat
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:16 AM
:spit: JJ not having charisma :lol: What about Henin then, she had charisma of a toilet paper :weirdo:

So, if rest of tour is really poor.....what exactly Vee won in last 2-3 years except Wimbledon?!!! :cuckoo:

About Vaidisova Carlos says "She's amazing!" and right after that he says "her intelligence is not that good" :rolls:

Oh yeah, I forgot....Nicole also has charisma.....too bad Radek was the first who realised that :p

Less some of you forget WIMBLEDON is still a GRAND SLAM and one of the top Slams I might add. As a fan of Venus I might not be happy that she's only won Wimbledon in the last 2-3 years but she is no worse off than a couple of players ranked a head of her who has won ZILCH in 2-3 years, and or only have 1 or 2 Tier I or II although they constantly go deep in tournaments week in and week out. Some maybe happy with consistency only but to me both that and winning the tournaments go hand in hand. Some of our faves may not be able to but the fact remain that as a 7 GS Champion Venus is still considered a possible winner. Yes, even with her so called poor results outside of Wimbledon. And that is Carlos' point, nobody is standing head and or shoulder above anyone, at the moment and if consistency in terms of going deep but never winning is what makes a great player then heaven help us.

Foxy

ivanban
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Sad but true. That guy is really creepy. :scared:
And he's such a genius - the WS and Sharapova rae better than the others? No kidding! They only have 5 zillion trophies more than the others combined. Since I knew that before, I guess I'm a tennis expert so I'll open a tennis academy.
Plus, only an idiot could say publicly what he said about Chaky. :o
As for JJ, I have a feeling he'll change his mind. :angel:

Exactly :o And after explaining us Chaky's mental structure and fragility, he thought what?!!!! That she'll feel much better now that he told to the whole world what nutcase she is?!!! :o :cuckoo:

Emina.
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I say...ignore him and his comments, guys. :o

ivanban
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:35 AM
what did you want him to say...that Jelena is the best in the world especially when Henin beat her 9 times out 9:rolleyes:

No, Wayn just wanted if (by some miracle) it's possible not to see you in one, just one thread that mentions JJ :o

Bruno71
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:47 AM
No, Wayn just wanted if (by some miracle) it's possible not to see you in one, just one thread that mentions JJ :o

That would be like taking candy from a baby.

frontier
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:48 AM
No, Wayn just wanted if (by some miracle) it's possible not to see you in one, just one thread that mentions JJ :oI will be front and centre in every thread with mediocre players,I hate mediocrity like Carlos Rodriguez:p...since Waynn wants to hide behind your skirt...say hi for me:tape:

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I will be front and centre in every thread with mediocre players,I hate mediocrity like Carlos Rodriguez:p...since Waynn wants to hide behind your skirt...say hi for me:tape:

i dont know what the hell you are doing in jj threads then? :confused: you know jj belongs to the elite group that won all tier categories :hearts:

but that certainly explains why you are in most ws threads :hearts:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:07 AM
btw jj is 22 points away from overmediocring serena :hearts:

ivanban
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Less some of you forget WIMBLEDON is still a GRAND SLAM and one of the top Slams I might add. As a fan of Venus I might not be happy that she's only won Wimbledon in the last 2-3 years but she is no worse off than a couple of players ranked a head of her who has won ZILCH in 2-3 years, and or only have 1 or 2 Tier I or II although they constantly go deep in tournaments week in and week out. Some maybe happy with consistency only but to me both that and winning the tournaments go hand in hand. Some of our faves may not be able to but the fact remain that as a 7 GS Champion Venus is still considered a possible winner. Yes, even with her so called poor results outside of Wimbledon. And that is Carlos' point, nobody is standing head and or shoulder above anyone, at the moment and if consistency in terms of going deep but never winning is what makes a great player then heaven help us.

Foxy

Calm down, I didn't say Vee is bad player or something. I just said it in response that WSs and Maria's results are waaaaaayyy ahead of rest of the tour.
Though, it's a bit disappointing for player of Vee's caliber to be able to do well only on grass

frontier
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:12 AM
this is not a thread about JJ by the way...its about the tour,something wrong with you jankobitches:scratch:

ivanban
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:17 AM
this is not a thread about JJ by the way...its about the tour,something wrong with you jankobitches:scratch:

No on said this is thread about her....she's only mentioned :cuckoo:

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:17 AM
oh tell that to the guy who opened the thread. oh wait... that was me :eek: your second post was already about jelena, too...

so dont tell me what this thread is all about

:wavey:

Matt01
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:24 AM

Nothing, basically. :p

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:26 AM
she did win that title against peer didnt she and seoul and doubles titles and exho in the beginning of the year... and maybe i forgot something. anyways. i agree vee is underperforming. she should step it up soon. its annoying having top players around that dont do anything :lol: but what am i saying here anyways i want my faves to win the titles and not venus :lol:

frontier
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Nothing, basically. :pat least she got the most prestigious title in tennis for her efforts:bounce:.Vee runs successful businesses and manages to win slams:worship:I am sure there is an army of players who wish to be in her position...playing tennis part time and still winning slams :worship:

Nicolás89
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:35 AM
:tape: Even Sharapova is more complete player than Vaidisova :tape:

Well, when Nicole was actually playing real tennis she was able to do some good volleying, drop volleys and backhand dropshots. She has definitely better technique than Sharapova on those shots. Just watch her match against Henin last year.

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:40 AM
did you ever think that by not playing much on the tour and having the stress of travelling, ranking points, tournaments, matches whatever and longer periods of training and relaxing venus increases her chances at GS? i am all for balancing out your tennis carreer with offcourt activities, but not for basically saying tier titles? uhm, whatever. obviously most are gonna say... well i wont jeopardize gs for a wta title (like masha at rome when she had to pull out of the semi), but if its becoming a habit... an obvious one at that its alarming for the tour, imo.

imo, not playing a lot to peak at the slams and still being able to win slams being a admirable thing works only for younger players who havent won a gs or big titles and not for players with a lot of experience and not for the big top players. rhythm and matches under ones belt are important, but not when you have nothing to prove anymore, a big serve to bail you out of trouble and some lower ranked players in the opening rounds of the slams who sometimes already lose the match in the locker room.

so dont praise her for something that basically hurts the tour when away from the slams -_-

i guess next year "should" or rather might change that up a bit.

FoxyliciousKhat
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Nothing, basically. :p

Venus won 3 titles in 2007 and one so far this year. Played 13 tournaments and had only two loses before the Qtrs. Had a 50-10 WL record.

In 2008 she played 10 tournaments thus far and losts before the Qtrs or Semis 3 times with a 28-9 WL record. It may not be enough for a player of her caliber but that's 4 or 5 more than a lot of players in the top 20 right now.

Foxy

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:43 AM
He didn't say anything so wild. Lansdorp said some not too flattering comments about Sharapova.
The players are making the millions, not the coaches. Coaches come and go. It's like when a horse trainer gets a top class horse. Some of them have big mouths, but nobody ever listened to them until they got a Big Brown..
No one would listen to this guy or Lansdorp unless they coached great talent.

frontier
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Venus is a proven champion and her name is on the aptly named Venus dish 5 freaking times,some players spend all their careers wishing and hoping for just a bite of her career.She has done it all,slams in singles,doubles and mixed doubles,3 olympic medals I can go on and on....

Szczecin
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I hope someone can take care of her (Nicole Vaidisova) because she's charismatic and is a really good player, but her emotional (state) and the intelligence is not that good."

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Well, when Nicole was actually playing real tennis she was able to do some good volleying, drop volleys and backhand dropshots. She has definitely better technique than Sharapova on those shots. Just watch her match against Henin last year.

her dropvolley crosscourt from a low ball (below net) in that match was STUNNING... and its not a fluke. she's played that shot in loads of different matches.
in but her game is so rhythmic its hard to mix in variety without losing your rhythm yourself one mite feel.

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:53 AM
of course you can go on - but when replying to a post which it is relevant to plz... the question here is if venus will start making more of a dent now on the tour. winnin' wta titles and such. right now as we heard before the tour is in transition... and i dont think venus will want to get "lost in translation transition" :P

slamchamp
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:56 AM
JJ no charisma?! Is he kidding?

frontier
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:57 AM
of course you can go on - but when replying to a post to which it is relevant plz... the question here is if venus will start making more of a dent now on the tour. winnin' wta titles and such.leave her alone she knows whats best for herself ,she doesnt need to play every event to prove a point.She has almost 40 titles and if she is not injured yes she can do it...remember she is a proven champion:worship:

Marshmallow
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:58 AM

:fiery:... :o I'll respect that maybe english is a second language and you misinterpreted the article, as opposed to intentionally posting some twisted, out of context lost in translation drivel.

Carlos wasn't talking primarily about recent results, there isn't any quote in the that says anything to the effect of .. 'Look at their results'... he was talking about general charisma and calibre level. The have something that he doesn't see in the rest of the tour... an X factor if you like, characterised by for instance - 'The innate ability to fight under pressure and win ugly' - just an Aura of greatness. Even if Venus doesn't win a title for years, when these up and coming girls beat Venus they celebrate like she just gave birth to their child, or like world peace has been declared. Just look at when Ciblkova beat Venus in Doha after an AWFUL display by Venus. I think she literally had an orgasm on court.

Jelena doesn't have that, nor do any of the other girls outside of WSs.

frontier
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:01 AM
:fiery:... :o I'll respect that maybe english is a second language and you misinterpreted the article, as opposed to intentionally posting some twisted, out of context lost in translation drivel.

Carlos wasn't talking primarily about recent results, there isn't any quote in the that says anything to the effect of .. 'Look at their results'... he was talking about general charisma and calibre level. The have something that he doesn't see in the rest of the tour... an X factor if you like, characterised by for instance - 'The innate ability to fight under pressure and win ugly' - just an Aura of greatness. Even if Venus doesn't win a title for years, when these up and coming girls beat Venus they celebrate like she just gave birth to their child, or like world peace has been declared. Just look at when Ciblkova beat Venus in Doha after an AWFUL display by Venus. I think she literally had an orgasm on court.

Jelena doesn't have that, nor do any of the other girls outside of WSs.:worship::worship::worship:

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I dont get it then? You are not making sense.

quote A from some/several WS fans: The tour is nothing without the sisters
quote B from some/several WS fans: Vee and Ree are winning slams the rest doesnt matter.

How is that supposed to work?
It's like one doesnt care about the Wta Tour and the game of tennis at all, but only what 1 or 2 players do in four tournaments. That comes close to being borderline selfish. But then again we all are when it comes to our faves naturally. The majority wont bring up such bold statements though.

Soccer (I dont like soccer btw -_- blah) fans enjoy matches where its always all or nothing, total commitment all year long. That and a few friendship games in the mix which are covered on tv as well on top of that.

Are tennis fans supposed to wait till the slams to see tennis that matters or what? That would be all too sad.

And btw. Ivan understands English very, very well and meant what he said, you should be honoured we put in the effort to learn foreign languages in the first place (in this case yours) instead of "giving somebody the benifit of the doubt", yeah right. Maybe you should ask yourself if you missinterpreted what Ivan said. Because he cares about the rest of the tournaments as well and also I think Carlos does, too. How else do you explain Henin's success at tour level from last year?

Apoleb
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:12 AM
The delivery was a bit rude and too straightforward, but are we debating in the 10+ page thread? :shrug:

It's quite apparent that Sharapova and the WS are a league above the others, and the only true champions on the tour. The rest ARE really poor. Most of them are a bunch of chockers/mental midgets/inconsistent/immature/attention whores...etc.

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:13 AM
JJ no charisma?! Is he kidding?Just because he coached Justine doesn't mean he knows shit on any topic. Any more so than any other coach in any sport.
Justine is the talent, not her coach.

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:30 AM
The delivery was a bit rude and too straightforward, but are we debating in the 10+ page thread? :shrug:

It's quite apparent that Sharapova and the WS are a league above the others, and the only true champions on the tour. The rest ARE really poor. Most of them are a bunch of chockers/mental midgets/inconsistent/immature/attention whores...etc.

Oh really?

Venus choked big time against Serena at the USO. Squandered like 10 SP.
Serena had leads against Venus in Wimbledon, too...right?
Serena totally choked against Lena.d in the Olympics. (well Lena.D fought hard of course)
Serena also sort of choked against Safina in Berlin.
Sharapova choked against Safina at RG after having MP (Safina also worked hard for that, too of course).
Venus lost to Kvitova after winning the first set.

Its a normal thing and some deal better with it some do not. Its a never-ending learning process and some just have more of that "charisma" naturally or found a way to bring it all out better than others.

Plus they've already got GS titles under their belts. Its so much easier to reproduce than to win your first.

frontier
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:47 AM
the main honcho at Stuttgatt knows who put people in the stands,he was really excited that they showed up,remember when Serena went to Hobart everybody showed up thats how important they are.

Marshmallow
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Oh really?

Venus choked big time against Serena at the USO. Squandered like 10 SP.
Serena had leads against Venus in Wimbledon, too...right?
Serena totally choked against Lena.d in the Olympics. (well Lena.D fought hard of course)
Serena also sort of choked against Safina in Berlin.
Sharapova choked against Safina at RG after having MP (Safina also worked hard for that, too of course).
Venus lost to Kvitova after winning the first set.

Its a normal thing and some deal better with it some do not. Its a never-ending learning process and some just have more of that "charisma" naturally or found a way to bring it all out better than others.

Plus they've already got GS titles under their belts. Its so much easier to reproduce than to win your first.

Pointing to possible instances of choking is missing the point. The Charisma/Aura/X-factor is sort of a combo of experience, game and big match mentality. WS clearly have that, they hold the most slams of this generation. Jelena has yet to really show that, she doesn't have a slam, has a tendency to call for the red cross and give oscar performances every so often in matches, and JUST made her first slam final. She has it to prove, the WS do not.

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I've noticed that the German crowds like the sisters indeed. Last year they went ballistic for Serena. But Sveta in that QF (which I kindly uploaded as fast as I could :devil: ) was just amazing in that qf. One rally there was so sick :eek: its in here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsQkVW6JD3Q

Btw, ya you are right on this the tournament directors are happy when the WS play, adds another well-known name or even two to their tourna.

But considering the crowd going crazy. Maybe that's also got to do with the fact if there's a tournament and a certain top player opts against it all the time and then finally goes there they are so happy. Cause usually they only got to watch them on tv.

I know in Zurich last year everyone was like... She's been saying ya I will come for eight years now and sometimes she even came to Zurich, but then only to watch her sister and occasionally play doubles. So they were dissappointed. But then last year she came, but no-one believed that she would and when she was spotted and the draw said she was even gonna play Schnyder the sensation was perfect, cause Masha and Martina were out already, so a lot of them were worried. Well she was injured and had to retire in the end, but still the crowd appreciated that.
(Kind of like Masha at the Rogers Cup which she missed so many times and had to withdraw from after winning in three against Marta.)

See, thats what I mean about caring about the tour and not only GS. The crowds are not only in Melbourne, Paris, London and New York. Because tennis is a highly global sport and everyone wants their share of experiences, fun and obviously great tennis.

Marshmallow
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:09 AM
:unsure: :scared: :bolt:

Orbis
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Overall a good analysis. :shrug:

Most of the stuff he said is pretty accurate I guess. I don't know about his analysis of JJ, though. Somehow, I don't think she's lacking "charisma". It's hard to define this "charisma" I keep hearing champions have. Really, it doesn't apply to everyone. Jelena loves to play tennis, gives her best on court and fights until the end. I don't really see what she's missing in terms of "charisma". I think many people say Jelena lacks something because of her counterpunching gamestyle. When you think about it, not many great players in either men's or women's tennis have been counterpunchers. Perhaps Hingis comes to mind. But even she had exceptional intelligence on court that many didn't have, something special to add to her game.

Anyway, whatever this "charisma" I keep hearing about is, you can't say everyone needs it to be a champion. Sure Jelena chokes sometimes, doesn't always take control of a match, or doesn't start blasting winners when she's down in a match. But she goes and plays her game, wears down her opponents, and most importantly, does her best and tries hard. I don't think she's lacking anything, really. I don't know how she'll do in the future, but if her game has been able to get her to number one so far, she should just keep on doing whatever it is she's doing.

WIMBLY2004
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:21 AM

No need to seriously comment on that crap. Maria is currently injured will possibly never come back and retire soon while Davenport is still winning and playing tournaments, get over it :wavey:

Can't wait to see Maria retire?:lol: She will still have a better career than your precious Serbias who probably will retire as slamless Jankovic and one-slam-wonder, record-holder-of-losing-to-100+-player-in-consecutive-slams-as-first-seed Ivanovic, considering her current form, that may be soon.

Danči Dementia
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Carlos sos grande!! :worship:

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Pointing to possible instances of choking is missing the point. The Charisma/Aura/X-factor is sort of a combo of experience, game and big match mentality. WS clearly have that, they hold the most slams of this generation. Jelena has yet to really show that, she doesn't have a slam, has a tendency to call for the red cross and give oscar performances every so often in matches, and JUST made her first slam final. She has it to prove, the WS do not.

What I meant to say was that x-factor may well be there, but it doesnt make them invincible.

Sometimes its even more of a motivation to beat those players, too. You already mentionned Cibulkova. Her play was inpired. Her passing shots in particular were awesome in that match. But the conditions levelled that match obviously. But it was partly this match that made her get further good results.

It's just the "circle of life" sort of, so I dont get how the WS and Masha must be seperated from "the pack" as much given that they all started like everyone else as well. Low-ranked, unexperienced and so on and so on.

Nicolás89
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Isn't funny that the three most successful players of the recent years also have the three biggest characters as coaches out there. Yuri, Richard and Carlos. :hearts:

Mikey B
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Isn't funny that the three most successful players of the recent years also have the three biggest characters as coaches out there. Yuri, Richard and Carlos. :hearts:

wow didnt realise that!!! interesting, it could show how much influence the coaches actually have on players, if you have a quiet, non-charismatic coach then do you get the same front the player?

schorsch
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Ricardo Sanchez is loud and firey, too!!! That bodes well then :hearts:

Mikey B
Sep 30th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Ricardo Sanchez is loud and firey, too!!! That bodes well then :hearts:

another one! who is the most charismatic player on tour right now, jj! (imo) she just had her best gs run and reached number 1! i dont believe jj will go down as the worst number one in history at all...

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 30th, 2008, 05:32 AM

i thought so too LOL :rolls: isn't that why his charge is now gone

donniedarkofan
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:21 AM

Then your tennis knowledge is very little...

chloe-l
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I think we're misunderstanding what he meant by "charisma". He's not talking about personalities of
the players, but the little extra that they bring to the game. So they have the ability to change
their games to win, even when they're not playing so well, they have a dominating shot or
that superlative style, a verve, that can pull them out of a dire situation. I doubt, even as Henin's coach, he would be praising her charismatic personality, or lack thereof.

:cool:

Stavie
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Ok, ok we got it. Charisma = that extra special thingie...

Now let me ask you this...

If you were to choose between "real charisma" and "extra special charisma" which one would you choose?
Because to play/lead your life the way Carlos wants you to, if you dont have that extra special thingie coming naturally to you / in you and still want to get as close to that as possible... How far will you give up your own personality, life and real charisma..?
What do I need as stated a robot personality for if except for the tough life / game I cant see anything endearing/electrifying/captivating/to a certain pt human in a player?

:silly: seriously

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:05 AM
CR must not be planning to come back and coach (except for maybe Vaidasova, for whom he seemed to be auditioning).

I would be VERY surprised if Juju came back and Carlos was her coach. That's some serious bulletin board material he put up there.

SOA_MC
Sep 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM
It's funny if he only said all good things about WTA most of the same posters in here would be ripping into him and then would proceed to list all the things with the WTA:lol:

StephenUK
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I think Carlos is pretty spot on.

Since Justine faded out, it's almost as thought the top players have been scared of being number one. I agree with him that the Williams and Sharapova are the only other current players who have that champion's aura/court presence/fear factor that he calls charisma, but even they seem incapable of dominating the way that Justine did in 07. It'll be interesting to see if Serena can win the Australian Open 2009 or whether she will disappoint for the next few slams as usual. JJ is very charismatic, but still seems somewhat of a lightweight in comparison - the fact that she seemed happy just to reach her first slam final at the US Open is a telling sign of her limitations as a top player. Ana Ivanovic has done well to win her first slam but her reaction to it and to holding the number one ranking has been nothing short of pathetic - maybe she will do better now she has slipped back down a bit. He did not mention Kuznetsova - having already won a slam, I expected her to step up this year, but the less said about her dismal 2008 the better, so it was probably kind of him to draw a veil over it. He did not mention Dementieva and Safina, who really were the most unexpected stars of 2008 - though it remains to be seen whether they can translate their improvement into slam titles.

youizahoe
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Charisma he meant, stands for being a diva, always thinking ur the best, and that's something that only serena, venus and maria have. They are famous, and it helps on the court to close out matches.

AnnaK_4ever
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Rodriguez is spot on.
Serena and Venus are the greatest active players, Sharapova is next to them and the rest are light years behind them. I don't know how anyone could argue that :shrug:

As for charisma, it's not the same as personality. In sports it's something that allow you win matches and titles even when you play like shit. No matter how you play at the moment, your opponents know that you can start playing great all of sudden and there is nothing they can do with it. That is charisma.

Matt01
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Rodriguez is spot on.
Serena and Venus are the greatest active players, Sharapova is next to them and the rest are light years behind them. I don't know how anyone could argue that :shrug:

Lindsay = active player

Lindsay > Maria

Maria = currently not playing tourneys anyway

AnnaK_4ever
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Lindsay = active player

Lindsay > Maria

Maria = currently not playing tourneys anyway

You're turing into stalker :tape:
Seriously, I just knew you would quote me bringing up Lindsay's name. I'm surprised you didn't mention Amelie :lol:

Lindsay is a part time player. She is not a competitor. She doesn't compete for the biggest titles, she doesn't chase #1 rank. It's like Martina Navratilova making comeback in signles in 2004. She plays for fun.

Costanza
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:58 PM
errrrrrm no.

Pleased to have got the monkey off the back after so many semi-finals.

Pleased to have given a good account of herself in first Grand Slam final.

Disappointed to have wasted opportunities (take it into a third set at least) and lose the match.

JJ wants GS titles, she believes she is good enough. And I agree with her.

Wayne,did Jankytards choose you to defend Jankovic honour this week:p
I meen,you are on,almost,every page of this thread.

Matt01
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM
You're turing into stalker :tape:
Seriously, I just knew you would quote me bringing up Lindsay's name. I'm surprised you didn't mention Amelie :lol:.

I forgot about Amélie :p

Lindsay is a part time player. She is not a competitor. She doesn't compete for the biggest titles, she doesn't chase #1 rank. It's like Martina Navratilova making comeback in signles in 2004. She plays for fun.

Sharapova and Venus don't, either :shrug:

dane
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Spot on!
Though I don't think there's something behind Sharapova's injuries that is holding her back from the tour and I'm saying that as a hater. She's determined enough to complete :)

fawnrc
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:11 PM
These statements do not make sence. You are going around and around. What is your point?:help:

I've noticed that the German crowds like the sisters indeed. Last year they went ballistic for Serena. But Sveta in that QF (which I kindly uploaded as fast as I could :devil: ) was just amazing in that qf. One rally there was so sick :eek: its in here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsQkVW6JD3Q

Btw, ya you are right on this the tournament directors are happy when the WS play, adds another well-known name or even two to their tourna.

But considering the crowd going crazy. Maybe that's also got to do with the fact if there's a tournament and a certain top player opts against it all the time and then finally goes there they are so happy. Cause usually they only got to watch them on tv.

I know in Zurich last year everyone was like... She's been saying ya I will come for eight years now and sometimes she even came to Zurich, but then only to watch her sister and occasionally play doubles. So they were dissappointed. But then last year she came, but no-one believed that she would and when she was spotted and the draw said she was even gonna play Schnyder the sensation was perfect, cause Masha and Martina were out already, so a lot of them were worried. Well she was injured and had to retire in the end, but still the crowd appreciated that.
(Kind of like Masha at the Rogers Cup which she missed so many times and had to withdraw from after winning in three against Marta.)

See, thats what I mean about caring about the tour and not only GS. The crowds are not only in Melbourne, Paris, London and New York. Because tennis is a highly global sport and everyone wants their share of experiences, fun and obviously great tennis.

AnnaK_4ever
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Sharapova and Venus don't, either :shrug:

Am I missing something? :scratch:
Didn't Venus win Wimbledon this season? Didn't Masha win AO and reach #1 this year?

Costanza
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I have a Ivanovic Bimbo stalking me on every page...

Are you in luuurve or something? :inlove:

Send me a pic of yourself and then,maybe,we had a chancehttp://i34.tinypic.com/2is7h4k.gif

Nina.
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Rodriguez is spot on.

I think it's more the way he expressed his thoughts, not the fact that WS and Maria are the best active players right now :shrug:

Matt01
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Am I missing something? :scratch:
Didn't Venus win Wimbledon this season? Didn't Masha win AO and reach #1 this year?

Seems you missed something indeed: Pova is out with a chronic injury since months and at ealiest will come back next year (and even that is doubtful). And Venus hasn't won anything big off grass in several years and currently certainly isn't chasing the #1 ranking either. :lol:

homogenius
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Rodriguez is spot on.

As for charisma, it's not the same as personality. In sports it's something that allow you win matches and titles even when you play like shit. No matter how you play at the moment, your opponents know that you can start playing great all of sudden and there is nothing they can do with it. That is charisma.

If it's true why none of these 3 players has been able to dominate the year ?
Henin is gone, the rest of the field is supposed to be the weakest ever, yet someone like Venus has "only" won her usual Wimbledon and Serena is only 20 points ahead of Jelena in ranking with 1 slam title (what happened in the other 3 ?)and no Olympic single title.
As for Sharapova, someone like Ivanovic had equal/better six months of the year than her (and got the n°1 spot for the same reason than Maria : because Henin retired).

Il Primo!
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Seems you missed something indeed: Pova is out with a chronic injury since months and at ealiest will come back next year (and even that is doubtful). And Venus hasn't won anything big off grass in several years and currently certainly isn't chasing the #1 ranking either. :lol:

Oh please, some have still to win anything BIG and that doesn't prevent you to give them more chances than Venus to actually clinch that BIG title

Better luck next time:wavey:

AnnaK_4ever
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Injured or not, "Pova" is a reigning Australian Open champion. Playing crap on other surfaces or not, Venus successfully defended her Wimbledon title -- the biggest prize in tennis. Serena is a reigining USO champion and world #1.
The rest of the field (bar Lindsay and Mauresmo who are near retirement and Ana who's showed some big potential but still has a lot of work to do just like Rodriguez said) -- the rest of the field are bunch of nobodies for big tennis history until some of them prove otherwise. Can they do it? For sure. Will they? Time will tell.
The point is at the moment they have not proved themselves while WS and Sharapova have done it.

Jakeev
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:53 PM
From the author:

Allow me to weigh on a few things:

2: What he essentially means by charisma is that “extra special something” that player takes on court, not charm, which JJ obviously has loads of. JJ still needs to prove that she’s a big time player and she knows that.

If you reread your article, however, that is definitely is not what is implied hence some angry responses.....

Steffica Greles
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM
He's only saying what anyone who has followed the tour a long time will say.

In fairness to a lot of these 18 year-olds on here who've only followed the game since 2003, who believe all this propaganda from WTA marketers (ex-players and commentators being chief among them), I would have said the same thing as they do at that age: that the tour was far more athletic than it had been a decade earlier. Although, I had more interest in the history of the game than most of them seem to.

But when you've been watching for a few years, you can separate the hype from the stark reality a lot more. You've heard 'The game is more athletic' or 'The players are much fitter' or 'There are no easy matches any more' a million times. Yes, that's right, players were saying these things in the early 90s, when I was a kid, and doubtless long before that. Why? Because naturally every player wants to believe that they are improving, and that even if their ranking has gone sideways or backwards, that it is is a reflection of the over all rise in standards as opposed to their own decline.

The game has not progressed over all. In some areas, yes, but there has been an over all decline since c2004.

This is just a matter of fact to anybody who watched before 2004.

Vlover
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM
And Venus hasn't won anything big off grass in several years

Name me a tournament that you consider "bigger" than The Championships:rolleyes:

yet someone like Venus has "only" won her usual Wimbledon and Serena is only 20 points ahead of Jelena in ranking with 1 slam title (what happened in the other 3 ?)and no Olympic single title.

At least Venus and Serena "only" won a major each to add to their major count. What major title did Jelena win to bolster her pending #1 status?:tape:

Matt01
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Injured or not, "Pova" is a reigning Australian Open champion. Playing crap on other surfaces or not, Venus successfully defended her Wimbledon title -- the biggest prize in tennis. Serena is a reigining USO champion and world #1.
The rest of the field (bar Lindsay and Mauresmo who are near retirement and Ana who's showed some big potential but still has a lot of work to do just like Rodriguez said) -- the rest of the field are bunch of nobodies for big tennis history until some of them prove otherwise. Can they do it? For sure. Will they? Time will tell.
The point is at the moment they have not proved themselves while WS and Sharapova have done it.

Ok, you are talking about the past (accomplishments), I was more talking about the present.

Wimbledon isn't the biggest "prize" in tennis, though. All Slams are equally important NOW. Of course in the PAST (which is what you are talking about all the time), that was different ;)

Matt01
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Name me a tournament that you consider "bigger" than The Championships:rolleyes:

See my post above for further explaination.

Seyz
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:21 PM
He didn't watch the serena and JJ final. JJ definitely had chances to win that match. SHe was on Fi-Yah, but serena was playing well, and was just too good that day. If JJ keeps that form up, she will be winning more slams than Ivanovic. Too many people writing off JJ.

Vlover
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Wimbledon isn't the biggest "prize" in tennis, though. All Slams are equally important NOW. Of course in the PAST

Who was the King/Queen who made that proclaimation?:rolleyes: I think it needs to be more widely distributed because most people never heard of it.:lol:

Vlover
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:31 PM
He didn't watch the serena and JJ final. JJ definitely had chances to win that match.

Obviously you didn't watch the match either because there was no point JJ had a chance to win the match.:rolleyes: She had a chance to win the 2nd set but a second set with a set down. When did winning a second set to draw even guarantee a match.:confused: It didn't happen in Miami remember.:lol:

frontier
Sep 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM
He didn't watch the serena and JJ final. JJ definitely had chances to win that match. SHe was on Fi-Yah, but serena was playing well, and was just too good that day. If JJ keeps that form up, she will be winning more slams than Ivanovic. Too many people writing off JJ.then why didnt she win....thats what Carlos is talking about true champions find a way to win and losers doubt themselves.Serena outwitted Jelena in that final,she beat Jelena at her own game...run down every ball and just keep it in play.Jelena was never in control of the match Serena controlled that match and she rained 4 straight games to win,thats what champions do they win when the chips are down.:p

Sharapowerr
Sep 30th, 2008, 05:19 PM

So, if the rest of tour is really poor..... what exactly Vee won in last 2-3 years except Wimbledon?!!!

How can u not agree that the rest of the tour isn t that good look at the champs of the past 10 GS , all the same names.. all of them are multiple GS winners except Ana so it s true.. The WS and Maria with Ana very close ( if she s playing like the beggining of this year ) and the rest is just weaker.. ok maybe Safina

2006 WIMBL Amelie
2006 US OPEN Maria
2007 AO OPEN Serena
2007 RG Justine
2007 WIMBL Venus
2007 US OPEN Justine
2008 AO OPEN Maria
2008 RG Ana
2008 WIMBL Venus
2008 US OPEN Serena

Matt01
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Who was the King/Queen who made that proclaimation?:rolleyes:

Someone who knows much more about tennis than you :wavey:

Optima
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Obviously you didn't watch the match either because there was no point JJ had a chance to win the match.:rolleyes: She had a chance to win the 2nd set but a second set with a set down. When did winning a second set to draw even guarantee a match.:confused: It didn't happen in Miami remember.:lol:

Seriously? If she would have held her serve that 40-0 game during the first set, I believe she would have barely clinched the match.

That's just my personal opinion anyway. Shoulda coulda woulda.

ivanban
Oct 1st, 2008, 12:16 AM

Exactly, they have DONE IT, but they're not doing it atm so convincingly as Carlos suggested. All 4 GSs this year are won by different players, so I don't see any particular dominance there :shrug:

well, since there are 4 tournaments on grass in a year, I guess Wimbledon really is the biggest of that quartet :shrug:

At least Venus and Serena "only" won a major each to add to their major count. What major title did Jelena win to bolster her pending #1 status?:tape:

Yeah, crap Jelena doesn't have any Slams to bolster her pending #1 status. On the other hand, kudos to Venus for having usual Wimbledon title to bolster her #8 in ranking, cause otherway she would hardly be in top15 :tape:

How can u not agree that the rest of the tour isn t that good look at the champs of the past 10 GS , all the same names.. all of them are multiple GS winners except Ana so it s true.. The WS and Maria with Ana very close ( if she s playing like the beggining of this year ) and the rest is just weaker.. ok maybe Safina

2006 WIMBL Amelie
2006 US OPEN Maria
2007 AO OPEN Serena
2007 RG Justine
2007 WIMBL Venus
2007 US OPEN Justine
2008 AO OPEN Maria
2008 RG Ana
2008 WIMBL Venus
2008 US OPEN Serena

According to this, no one except Justine won more than one GS per year, so I don't see none of active players being that much more dominant then rest of the girls on tour :shrug:

Venus3000
Oct 1st, 2008, 12:29 AM
I have to hand it to Carlos Rodriguez. He knows his tennis. He is basically spot on on everything he said.

Patrick345
Oct 1st, 2008, 12:54 AM
I have to hand it to Carlos Rodriguez. He knows his tennis. He is basically spot on on everything he said.

Besides the personal insults, whst is the essence of this interview?

1. The multiple Slam winners are the best players on the Tour.
2. The others players lack the skills or intangibles to win multiple Slams.
3. The player who wins the last point wins the match.
4. The WTA has a talent drought.

..and if we ask him in a year again and Safina/Dementieva/Ivanovic/Jankovic win two Slams next year, they are moved to group 1, and wow he is right again. I´m impressed with the substance and inside of his interview. I wonder what he had to say about the notorious choker Mauresmo in 05 before she whooped Henin in two straight Slam finals. :o

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 1st, 2008, 01:05 AM
Exactly, they have DONE IT, but they're not doing it atm so convincingly as Carlos suggested. All 4 GSs this year are won by different players, so I don't see any particular dominance there :shrug:

well, since there are 4 tournaments on grass in a year, I guess Wimbledon really is the biggest of that quartet :shrug:

Yeah, crap Jelena doesn't have any Slams to bolster her pending #1 status. On the other hand, kudos to Venus for having usual Wimbledon title to bolster her #8 in ranking, cause otherway she would hardly be in top15 :tape:

According to this, no one except Justine won more than one GS per year, so I don't see none of active players being that much more dominant then rest of the girls on tour :shrug:

Serena, Venus, Justine, and Maria won 8 of last 9 slams. They have been dominating the Tour when it matters in great scheme of things.
The only remaining slam was won by Ivanovic -- player who, according to Rodriguez, has a potential to become a truly great player as well.
The biggest event other players won was Olympics. And even Olympics gold was won by player of previous generation -- Dementieva.
All that Jankovic and Co won are several Tier Is. WOW! Hall of Fame is awaiting.

Marshmallow
Oct 1st, 2008, 01:19 AM
Lawd what has this thread turned into. It's like Sodom and Gomorrah :sobbing:

If it's true why none of these 3 players has been able to dominate the year ?
Henin is gone, the rest of the field is supposed to be the weakest ever, yet someone like Venus has "only" won her usual Wimbledon and Serena is only 20 points ahead of Jelena in ranking with 1 slam title (what happened in the other 3 ?)and no Olympic single title.
As for Sharapova, someone like Ivanovic had equal/better six months of the year than her (and got the n°1 spot for the same reason than Maria : because Henin retired).

Carlos was talking about a persona, a champions Aura, it doesn't always reflect current results for a variety of reasons. You can look at it maybe like never ending self belief... the very thing that saw Venus rise back like a phoenix an win Wimbledon 2005 even though for a year or so people were saying she was finished. Ana seems to be developing it actually, she's seems to be a great fighter, but it remains to be seen in Jelena. It's not all about dominance, because we all know in recent times the sisters have been models of health exactly.

Venus3000
Oct 1st, 2008, 01:37 AM
Besides the personal insults, whst is the essence of this interview?

1. The multiple Slam winners are the best players on the Tour.
2. The others players lack the skills or intangibles to win multiple Slams.
3. The player who wins the last point wins the match.
4. The WTA has a talent drought.

..and if we ask him in a year again and Safina/Dementieva/Ivanovic/Jankovic win two Slams next year, they are moved to group 1, and wow he is right again. I´m impressed with the substance and inside of his interview. I wonder what he had to say about the notorious choker Mauresmo in 05 before she whooped Henin in two straight Slam finals. :o

It wasn't meant as insults, I don't think. The point he was making is most of the girls on the tour aren't champions. That's what he was getting at. Obviously if someone else does win a slam going forward well that changes things.

Nicolás89
Oct 1st, 2008, 01:41 AM
Who was the King/Queen who made that proclaimation?:rolleyes: I think it needs to be more widely distributed because most people never heard of it.:lol:

:help:

mashamaniac
Oct 1st, 2008, 02:54 AM
I totally agree with carlos... well said!:wavey:

shaktincredible
Oct 1st, 2008, 03:04 AM
WS and Sharapova :hearts:

enchantrezz
Oct 1st, 2008, 03:47 AM
then why didnt she win....thats what Carlos is talking about true champions find a way to win and losers doubt themselves.Serena outwitted Jelena in that final,she beat Jelena at her own game...run down every ball and just keep it in play.Jelena was never in control of the match Serena controlled that match and she rained 4 straight games to win,thats what champions do they win when the chips are down.:p

Its her first GS final so i dont think its fair to write off JJ right away. Venus didnt win on her first GS final too.

Seyz
Oct 1st, 2008, 03:55 AM
then why didnt she win....thats what Carlos is talking about true champions find a way to win and losers doubt themselves.Serena outwitted Jelena in that final,she beat Jelena at her own game...run down every ball and just keep it in play.Jelena was never in control of the match Serena controlled that match and she rained 4 straight games to win,thats what champions do they win when the chips are down.:p

Well, serena definitely is the better player, but I think it's seriously not a good idea to underestimate JJ like everyone has been doing. I just think JJ is really underrated by all her critics.

Black Mamba.
Oct 1st, 2008, 03:59 AM
I agree 100% with everything he said.

Thanx4nothin
Oct 1st, 2008, 04:05 AM
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=14152239&postcount=1003

China Open title could put Jankovic back at No. 1
by Matt Cronin, Special to FOXSports.com

On Sunday, world No. 2 Jelena Jankovic won her second 2008 title at the China Open, racing past Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-3, 6-2 in the final. Jankovic is now within a few points of regaining the top spot from Serena Williams, who hasn't played since out-toughing the Serbian in the last round of America's Grand Slam.

Jankovic has had a good but not great year and must be given credit for her consistency and how frequently she straps on her tennis shoes. But the 23-year-old is by no means a legend and is probably not even a legend in the making. Her ascent to No. 1 in early August without reaching a Grand Slam final was a sorry Open-era record, but that would have been quickly forgotten had she managed to claw her way to a three-set victory over Serena.

What does being a legend have to do with anything, I doubt any would have ever predicte Henin to be a legend in the making, before her 2003/4 season. Who is to say Jankovic won't make the same point,and why does someon have to be a legend to play good tennis? A bit of an uneffective pointif you ask me. Doesn't mean much to be honest.

That she might ascend to No. 1 next week says something more profound: Too many great women's champions are retiring early and leaving some of the tour's biggest honors to those who should have needed more time to achieve them.

Right so now he does expect JJ to win slams in te future, presumably elevating her to the legendary level which was aforementioned. Not exactly sure why it would be more admirable for a player to win whilst other 'better' players are gone. Another senseless point in my opinion.

Had Belgian and seven-time grand Slam champion Justine Henin not unexpectedly retired in May at the relatively young age of 26, this topic might not be ripe for discussion. But with Henin joining other former Slam champs under the age of 29 like Martina Hingis, Kim Clijsters and Anastasia Myskina in early retirement, it's worth noting.

"That's the face of tennis today, with a player who is reaching No.1 without winning a Grand Slam," Henin's coach Carlos Rodriguez told FOXsports.com of Jankovic, who was 0-9 against Henin. "It's a sign. She's a good player, but when you see Maria Sharapova and the Williams sisters, they not only win Grand Slams, but they have the charisma. They give something extra, not only hitting balls. There's more behind them."

Now we can dispute his expression here but how one can argue that JJ does not have >>>>Charisma than most players on the tour is beyond me :rolleyes:

An intense and thoughtful man who took Henin out the juniors to tennis fame, Rodriguez and Henin just opened a branch of their 6th Sense Tennis Academy at the Mission Inn Resort & Club in Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla. They both see an opportunity in the U.S., where many parents of juniors are looking for intelligent coaches with proven track records who understand that teaching children to be champions is more than just about stroke production.

Rodriguez says that one of the reasons that Henin is retired is that she's looking to prove to herself that she can do more than just "hitting the ball" and will only likely consider a comeback once she has taken a very necessary mental break.

Surely this is a glimmer of hope to fanatical Henin fans that she may return?

But what Henin left after she retired from her most dominant season ever in 2007 is a tour with three legitimate Hall of Fame players and a bunch of developing competitors who really couldn't hold her worn out pair of socks.

I'm not sure what his definition of poor is but there are many excellent competitors left in tennis, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Dementieva in a new lease of life, a burgeoning new talent in Safina and to be pedantic, Davenport is still there, not a really poignant addition but hey, why not mention her.

It's not like the Argentine doesn't like the potential of some of the kids — it's just that they are so wildly inconsistent. Take Roland Garros champion Ana Ivanovic, who is just 5-5 since winning her first Slam crown in Paris. Sven Groenefeld, whom Rodriguez considers the best coach on tour today, coaches the Serbian, but the 20-year-old is struggling mightily.

Most kids are wildly inconsistent on the tennis court, Serena and Venus were the same. Serena didn't solidify her first slam in 1999 until 2002, nearly 3 years, I mean if he wants th 'kids' to play to Serena's level of consistency as a 'legend' then he would only be expecting her to win her next slam in 2010/2011

"I think Ana can do big things, but she needs more maturity," Rodriguez said. "It's very difficult for a player to learn what to do when she's in trouble. Ivanovic is not able to have a Plan B or C to solve the situations, and she loses complete control. The coach can help with this, but in the end, it's up to the player to find for herself what possibilities will work. The coach can only help you to a certain point."
:worship::worship::worship: I totally agree, she is hugely talented, but needs a plan B.

Rodriguez spent a little time this past summer working with former world No. 4 Anna Chakvetadze but couldn't make it work with the Russian, who has spiraled downward to No. 12. On the outside, Chakvetadze appears to have all the ingredients that Rodriguez would like: foot speed, soft hands, the ability to take the ball on the rise and smarts. But he couldn't get through to the 21-year-old.

"Anna seems like she wants to work, but I told her, at the end of the day, deep inside of you, you don't want to try to go further and to push yourself more to succeed," he said. "I cannot help you if you don't have the will to do something, even if I'm the best or worst coach in the world. She has the talent. But she's really confused as to what she needs to do to succeed to do to become a No. 1 or No. 2 player in the world. She's not ready to make the sacrifices it takes to go to the top, there's not question about it. A champion is one inside and outside the court, and when you take Anna outside the court, she's really a disaster."

Tough love, or unprofessional. A little unnecessary if u ask me :tape:

Outside of the Williams sisters and Sharapova, there are no players on tour who can consistently win ugly when the chips are down, their bodies are aching and their foes are zoning on them. That's part of the make-up that Henin had, her innate ability to fight like an alley cat even when being attacked by every mangy dog in the alley.

"You can't teach that," Rodriguez said. "You can learn a lot of things, but you cannot change the natural personality of a player. With Serena, Venus, Justine and Jennifer Capriati, they have the personality that even when they weren't enjoying it, they could go through. There's no question that Maria, Serena and Venus are far and away from the other players. Their quality is too good."

As a Venus fan, I'll take Jelena over her in most three set matches this day, she is a wonderful fighter. Dementieva has an extraordinary fighting quality as well.

Henin put a hurt on all of those players, who also got back at the Belgian in some of the finest matches the tour has seen this century. They may not miss losing to her, but Serena and Sharapova have admitted to missing the thrill of the battle against Henin, trying to figure out which strategy would work against the cagey all-courter's high-variety game.

But Henin isn't coming back anytime soon, if at all, so now it's up one of three other elite players to see if they can dominate like the Belgian did in 2007.

Sharapova just shut down her season due to her inability to recover a tear in her right rotator cuff, and when she returns to defend her Australian Open title in January, she will have more than likely have fallen out of the top 10 and will have missed the vast majority of the second part of the season. Whether the three-time Grand Slam champion can ever truly dominate is an open question.

Arse gravy of the worst kind if you ask me. Never known a more dedicated player, including the illustrious Henin. Rodriguez seems to blame injuries on outside activities etc. Bizarre.

Crossover celebrity Sharapova has always stressed that her tennis comes first, and it's hard to argue with her resume. But it's also clear that carrying a $26-million off-court portfolio every year can be demanding. Rodriguez doesn't think that it's only her injuries that are holding her back.:tape: I do,we'll agree to disagree there.

I mean didn't the ''legends'' he quoted, the Williamses, already prove that outsideinteress etc, aid longevity? :help: and didn't Henin have endorsements?:lol:

Then there's Serena, she of nine Grand Slam titles and with the ambition to go well into the double digits. Now 27-years-old, Serena appears to be on a one Grand Slam per year pace. She's capable of doing better, but time is running short, and there's little room for the party circuit if she's ever going to dominate again.

She, Venus and Jankovic will tee it up in Stuttgart this week. If Serena wants to stay at No. 1, she's going to have to keep her mind focused on the next six weeks — not an easy task after a hard year and when the offseason beckons.

"Serena has the quality, and everything she needs mentally and physically to do it she has," Rodriguez said. "But is she going take care of herself and prepare to go into action? If she does that, I think Serena has another two or three great years left."

Seems to contradict himself there, but it's a fair point.

Interesting article :bounce:

frontier
Oct 1st, 2008, 04:44 AM
Well, serena definitely is the better player, but I think it's seriously not a good idea to underestimate JJ like everyone has been doing. I just think JJ is really underrated by all her critics.I think that you are in denial,she lost and there is no turning back Serena won lets move on.I think her fans are behaving as if Serena stole that match from her,she had equal opportunity but did not take her chances.
you should email Carlos and complain...:p

homogenius
Oct 1st, 2008, 07:20 AM
Lawd what has this thread turned into. It's like Sodom and Gomorrah :sobbing:

Carlos was talking about a persona, a champions Aura, it doesn't always reflect current results for a variety of reasons. You can look at it maybe like never ending self belief... the very thing that saw Venus rise back like a phoenix an win Wimbledon 2005 even though for a year or so people were saying she was finished. Ana seems to be developing it actually, she's seems to be a great fighter, but it remains to be seen in Jelena. It's not all about dominance, because we all know in recent times the sisters have been models of health exactly.

When I read that, the logical conclusion would be that this year these 3 champions have totally dominated the rest of this really poor field.It didn't happen so why is that ?What happened to Serena against JJ, Srebotnik or Dementieva (lol at the choke) at OG ? What happened to Venus against Ana or Penetta in slams ? Why Maria whith her big self belief managed to waste MP and lose to Safina at RG ?
(and besides that, talking about respect and saying that they're all poor in the same sentence is laughable at best).

On JJ specificallly, the girl has been a top player for only two years.Last year people were predicting her falling down in the ranking badly : she proved them wrong and have been the most consistent of the top players this year.After that people were saying that she couldn't handle the pressure of battling for the n°1 and would be stuck in semi of slams for life : prove them wrong two months after by reaching the USO final and giving (with Serena) the best slam's final we saw in ages etc...
The girl is now focused on tennis, has a coach and prove several times (even in slams) that she has what it takes to beat the "old" champ like the sisters, so I think the girl will be just fine in the future.

Oh and all this fuss about the meaning of "charisma" is bs : the guy is making a fool of himself and that's it.

Martian Jeza
Oct 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM

that plus family.

the disgusting thing is that he used this sadness / toughness of it as an incentive for justine to do better on the tour.

and also he's praising them for how good and special they are, but they follow a completely different style and approach to tennis and life than he believes is the right one and guess what? they've won many gs, too, seem HAPPY at the same time and have amassed not only titles, but life experiences. results: not burnt out, more balanced and not sort of that depressed like the kind of thing we saw on court and in interviews from justine. those smiles and this body language of "being alive" after retiring were so telling.

i think this kind of balance of life and tennis is extremely important and lately the vast majority have been picking up on it.
masha, ws, jj, ana, ... to name a few top players.

and even vaidisova... who's trying to find herself and who she is and what she wants. enjoy herself a bit and such.

About ZooZoo's family, her brother risk to go in jail soon, has been charged by a Belgian court for Swindle :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Zhao
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:59 AM
carlos should work with Jelena dokic

Renalicious
Oct 1st, 2008, 11:21 AM
I didn't read all of it but for once I like what he's saying. :shrug:

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 1st, 2008, 12:15 PM

When I read that, the logical conclusion would be that this year these 3 champions have totally dominated the rest of this really poor field.It didn't happen so why is that ?What happened to Serena against JJ, Srebotnik or Dementieva (lol at the choke) at OG ? What happened to Venus against Ana or Penetta in slams ? Why Maria whith her big self belief managed to waste MP and lose to Safina at RG ?(and besides that, talking about respect and saying that they're all poor in the same sentence is laughable at best).

On JJ specificallly, the girl has been a top player for only two years.Last year people were predicting her falling down in the ranking badly : she proved them wrong and have been the most consistent of the top players this year.After that people were saying that she couldn't handle the pressure of battling for the n°1 and would be stuck in semi of slams for life : prove them wrong two months after by reaching the USO final and giving (with Serena) the best slam's final we saw in ages etc...
The girl is now focused on tennis, has a coach and prove several times (even in slams) that she has what it takes to beat the "old" champ like the sisters, so I think the girl will be just fine in the future.

Oh and all this fuss about the meaning of "charisma" is bs : the guy is making a fool of himself and that's it.

all great players have probably lost a match they were either in control of or not supposed to lose due to rank of opponent...i suppose AnnaK4ever could probably find some stats to prove it right or wrong but it'd be impossible to use that criteria to challenge what Carlos is saying :shrug: saying that maria and the WS lost some bad matches means nothing in the grand scheme of things :shrug: in the middle of her RG-Wimbledon-US Open run where serena was brimming with confidence and her game was all sorts of on, she still lost to Chanda Rubin....and no disrespect to Chanda but she's not exactly the type of player serena loses to when her game is on....

Seyz
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM
I think that you are in denial,she lost and there is no turning back Serena won lets move on.I think her fans are behaving as if Serena stole that match from her,she had equal opportunity but did not take her chances.
you should email Carlos and complain...:p

Uh, I'm a serena fan silly.
And no one thinks that Serena stole the match from JJ. I don't know why you got that idea.
WE get it, you don't think highly of JJ.

terjw
Oct 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM

When I read that, the logical conclusion would be that this year these 3 champions have totally dominated the rest of this really poor field.It didn't happen so why is that ?What happened to Serena against JJ, Srebotnik or Dementieva (lol at the choke) at OG ? What happened to Venus against Ana or Penetta in slams ? Why Maria whith her big self belief managed to waste MP and lose to Safina at RG ?
(and besides that, talking about respect and saying that they're all poor in the same sentence is laughable at best).

:worship::worship::worship:

Seyz
Oct 5th, 2008, 06:34 AM
JJ; one step closer to proving everyone wrong! Now win that slam! Damnit!

Princeza
Oct 5th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Well he made some good points; pretty fair article.

crazillo
Oct 5th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I think he is right in many points that he mentioned, and it is right you need to make sacrifices to be really successful, but the human being should always be first, and I think he makes players sound like machines...

Tenis Srbija
Oct 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM
So much about that... :-)

homogenius
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM
bump

Such a brilliant man this Rodriguez...

ivanban
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Well, I do love him now.

Never saw better jinxing stuff than that interview of his :devil:

MagicMilan
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:46 PM
gEt iT TogEthER, CaRLoS :mad:

Dodoboy.
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
He is still right :shrug:

Marshmallow
Mar 31st, 2009, 01:22 AM
He is still right :shrug:

It really makes interesting reading I think.

tennisbum79
Mar 31st, 2009, 01:29 AM
It really makes interesting reading I think.
Especially now.

IceHock
Mar 31st, 2009, 01:30 AM
that last sentence is spot on from what he says

moby
Mar 31st, 2009, 01:37 AM

(and besides that, talking about respect and saying that they're all poor in the same sentence is laughable at best).Several months later, we can say: Yes, they have.

Maria didn't help much, but she was out with injury.

felipe2004
Mar 31st, 2009, 02:33 AM
Spot on. :eek: Nobody was giving him credit then, but he was right in 95% of the things he said.

Midnight_Robber
Mar 31st, 2009, 02:38 AM
Isn't this an old article?

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2009, 02:48 AM
I found this bit interesting.
"When you are talking mental, these girls are very strong, but when you are talking emotional, it's very hard. The emotional takes over the mental and she completely loses the way."
It could be a 'lost in translation' deal, since he seemed to be talking about Vaidisova, but 'these girls' obviously refers to more than one person. But the analysis of the emotion vs the mental is worth some thought.

Craig.
Mar 31st, 2009, 03:19 AM
Williamspova Tennis Association :worship:

Caillou
Mar 31st, 2009, 04:18 AM
Williamspova Tennis Association :worship:

fo show!

espntennis
Mar 31st, 2009, 04:25 AM
I like the article.

Miss Amor
Jul 30th, 2010, 10:32 AM
"Outside of the Willamses and Sharapova, the rest are still really poor," Rodriguez said.

I wonder if he still thinks the same now that Henin has played (and lost) against 'the rest of the players'.