PDA

View Full Version : Which Match Of Your Fave That You Saw Made You A Fan For Life?

nabfunky
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:45 PM
for me, it wasn't so much a match but a tournament. the way masha blazed through wimbledon '04 and the way she won the final, i was just hooked. i'm never leaving her side now. :kiss:

what was the defining moment for you?

debopero
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Serena/ Foretz Wimbledon 2004 :p . Long story.

Marionated
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Marion Bartoli Wimbledon semi against Henin :hearts: If only she could play like she did in that 3rd set all the time.

Dave.
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Ivanovic: Zurich 2004 vs Venus
Bartoli: French Open 2007 vs Rezai

Can't really put a point on when I became a fan of Lindsay, she's just always been a player I enjoyed watching more than most since I've been into tennis.

Dawson.
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM
i saw na li play for the first time in berlin in 2006 .vs. patty schnyder. she came from a set and a break down to win 2-6, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (1) also coming from a break down in the final set too. i loved how eratic she was on court, awesome winner 1 minute, terrible error the next :lol: since then i've been a fan

Mashafaaaaan
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Sharapova vs Clijsters US open SF 2005; Even if she lost that match, Maria played really well, all those Mpoints saved in 2nd set without any fear, I will always remember :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Olórin
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Serena vs. Venus Wimbledon 2000. Got me hooked on both of them, but more so on the loser. I just thought, as I still do, that the Williams sisters are the most enigmatic tennis players to ever step on the tennis court.

LudwigDvorak
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:02 PM
2006 Los Angeles final. I was kind of getting into Elena before then, but I hadn't seen her play in years until Wimbledon that year, and I only saw her lose to Sharapova :o, but I got so excited to see Elena beat Jankovic, that feeling has kind of stuck with me since.

égalité
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Jelena Jankovic - AO first round 2008 :bowdown:

I needed a new fave after Whitney Houston Martina Hingis retired and now I have one. :D

Just Do It
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Dokic beating Capriati. I will never forget it, I was in Hungary and did not understand a word which annoyed me, but still :drool:

TheFifthAvocado
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Lena defeating Davenport in USO '05 quarters, Lucie in Open Gaz de France final '07, Na losing to Clijsters at Wimby '06, and Petra beating Stosur in RG this year.

Kworb
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Seles def. Graf 6-2, 3-6, 10-8 (the first match I remember watching)
Hingis def. Kournikova 6-3, 6-2 (Wimbledon SF) :hearts:

I've always liked Elena, but I don't remember when I really became obsessed. Probably during 2004.

Henin, no idea. :shrug: I like all of her matches.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Nastya Myskina - It was against Barbara Schett in Sopot 2000
Yari Shvedova - It was against Tatiana Perebiynis in Roehampton (Wimbledon qualifying) 2006
Monica Niculescu - It was against Magda Rybarikova in Roehampton (Wimbledon qualifying) 2007
Magda Rybarikova - It was against Caro Wozniacki in the Final of the Wimbledon Juniors event 2006

Malva
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:52 PM
For life? Well, I'll know it when I am dead...

My admiration for Agnieszka certainly started from seeing her facing my then-favorite, Maria Sharapova, at the US Open 2007. It was however shortly after the Australian Open earlier this year, when I realized that her unique game is the panaceum for what I considered to be the current ills of women's tennis. I detest power in women's tennis, I value finesse, touch, variety, and intelligence. And I haven't been disappointed since then with my choice.

Stamp Paid
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM
2003 Australian Open 1R - S. Williams d. E. Loit 6–3, 6–7, 5–7

LUVMIRZA
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Mirza playing against Serena in AO'05 & against Sveta in Dubai '05 and Wimby '05, wat a gutsy player she is :drool:

Justine against Venus USO'07 :inlove:

Safina defeating Justin, Serena & Elena in Berlin to win the title :hearts:. Oh I jus love her when she gets angry & starts mouthing obscenities :lol:

But my old favourites Seles & Hingis have so many matches to fall in love with :worship:

Mightymirza
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Dementieva beating Capriati and Jusine beating capriati :bowdown:

new-york
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Venus - Wimz 2003 Final.

dybbuk
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Ana - 2005 RG RD32
Lindsay - 2002 USO RD16 was the first time I ever heard of her (The USO that year was the first event I watched), but she was just naturally the player I supported above all others. There really was never a decision to follow her results, she was just the only women's player I cared about for about 2/3 years.

Slutiana
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Tati - I was a fan before but for life? You all know what im gonna say.... Tati vs Maria Miami 2006.

Venus - 2000 USO Semi Final vs Hingis. K thx bai.

Serena - Its a bit weird the time difference between Venus and Serena and i was already in love with Serena then but this just made me a fan forever: Serena vs Clijsters 2003 AO SF.

Keothavong: Wimbledon 04 2r vs Sharpova. She was playing soooo well and then that rain delay came! :crying2:

Jankovic: AO 1r 2008

Dokic: WImbledon 1998 (wasn't it?) vs Hingis.

Njay16
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Venus- Her Wimbledon victory in 2000 over Davenport just warmed my heart.

Lena D- Her match against Shahar Peer in Moscow in 06.

Wozniacki- Her match this year against Ivanovic in Australia. I was o impressed with her feisty attitude and greaty backhand.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Oh I forgot, one more for me,

Agnieszka Radwanska - Wimbledon 1st round 2006 - Against Azarenka, but by the 3rd round match against Tanasugarn I was totally won over. :)

Mr.Kardashian
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Alicia beating Venus in AO R16 and her QF loss to Davenport..... never forget those matches

Mr.Kardashian
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Alicia beating Venus in AO R16 and her QF loss to Davenport..... never forget those matches

miffedmax
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Lena D's runner-up to Venus in 2000 Olympics got me interested. At the time I was fed up with the Williams hype (even though I was and remain a Venus fan) burned out on Hingis's diva act and completely over Anna Can'twinova and all of a sudden there was this kind of cute-in-goffy way girl who acted like she actually enjoyed tennis.

But what sealed it for me was the last-minute expedition to Nike Town in Manhattan so she'd have something to wear for the second week. It was just so effing adorable.

Then somewhere along the line she got really, really hot. But I was hooked in 2000.

gaviotabr
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Ana Ivanovic def. Martina Hingis 6-3 6-2 Montreal 2006. Beautiful flawless tennis by Ana. Martina didn't manage to figure out any answers that day.

There were a couple of other matches that assured my fan feeling though.. Berlin final 2007, Roland Garros Semis 2007 and 2008, Australian Open Semi 2008, Zurich second round 2007.

Il Primo!
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I always loved the Sisters. I had more love for Serena until 2002 and now it's defintely the other way around.

I turn from a hater to a fan of Pova from the USO SF loss to the overrated Clijsters. And her loss to Hénin in Melbourne the following year made me huge fan of her whole self.

I turned from a hater to a fan of Jelena from teh USO QF loss to Vee. I realised how amazing she was, one of the best match I've ever seen, probably the best of 2007 to me.

Erm, don't get me wrong Momosapiens, I'll always hate your girl :kiss:

OsloErik
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Kuznetsova at the Helsinki tournament in 2002 had me sold on her as a person and a player, but I really became a fan in 2003 when she made her Wimbledon QF run. I finally decided she was the finest of the Russians, at her best, at Miami in 2006, but she's been a frustrating player to follow ever since. Still love her, though, and hope she gets her head screwed on straight, some day.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Venus vs. Serena Wimbledon 2000

I actually missed school to watch this match :devil: I remember first watching Serena win the 99 US Open final and I was cheering for her to win even though it was my first time ever seeing her play. I remember seeing Venus' face when Serena won and I felt bad for Venus.

I didn't watch any tennis after that so that didn't make me a fan for life. But I did watch Wimbledon that year. Serena was destroying opponents and Venus beat Hingis in the quarters. Then it came to the semifinal and there was all this hype. I was rooting for Venus because Serena already had a slam, but that match made me a fan for life of both sisters. I still remember the commentators talking about Venus' left-handed forehand and seeing Serena break down in tears after double faulting on match point :sobbing: From that moment on I started following all their results and tried to watch as many matches of theirs as possible!

If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be as interested in tennis and I wouldn't have experienced some of the great sporting moments that they have both produced in their careers!

Kai
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Ivetas exhibition match against Garbin at Benny Berthet Day (Roland Garros) 2002, 2003 or 2004 :p (cant remember which year)

The Daviator
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Well I loved LD from the moment I started following tennis, don't know why, just always did, not because of any match.

For AI, well I loved her win over Mauresmo at RG '05, but I became a bandwagon supporter after Montreal.

S. Williams, I don't even know :rolls: I always liked the sisters, but I don't know when I started loving Ree so much, I remember rooting for Venus in the AO '03 final :confused:

V's a star
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:26 PM
2004 US open Venus vs Rubin 3rd round. The next day i was so disappointed lol...with all the chanes she had against davenport. Little did i no thats wat it wud be like 90% of the time and all the heartache lol :lol: but its worth it

Black Mamba.
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I've liked Vee and Serena since they first got on the scene but the 99 US Open final and the 00 US Open Semi final made me a fan for life of both players.

nabfunky
Sep 29th, 2008, 12:06 AM
where are the masha lovers? :confused: come on, people, disclose the moment you fell in love. was it wimbledon '04 or something else?

AnnaK_4ever
Sep 29th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Myskina - her epic win over Martina Muller at 2002 Fed Cup.

Uranium
Sep 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Venus, I honestly don't remember:tape:
I remember 2001 Wimbledon, but I know I was a fan before that because I rooted for her at the French, so I am going to say it was sometime between 2000 Wimbledon and 2001 Miami:lol:

MH0861
Sep 29th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Lindsay - 1997 USO QF beating Novotna 7-6 in the third :hearts:

Kirilenko - I have no idea, it's been a while though, sometime in 2003/2004 though.

Dave.
Sep 29th, 2008, 12:41 AM
^^ I'm ordering that match soon! Always wanted to see it, her first slam QF win :inlove:

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:12 AM
'99 US Open final - Serena (the first ever tennis match i watched :hearts: )
'00 Wimbledon final - Venus

at the time i didn't have internet so the most i knew about tennis was whatever GS showed on tv

'05 IW - AI
'04 Summer - LD

Sharakim
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Sharapova def. Serena Williams 6-1 6-4 (2004 Wimbledon Ladies Championship final)

From that moment onward, there was no one else

No Name Face
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Elena Dementieva def. Jennifer Capriati USO '04
Serena Williams def. Martina Hingis USO '99

Marshmallow
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Serena vs. Venus Wimbledon 2000. Got me hooked on both of them, but more so on the loser. I just thought, as I still do, that the Williams sisters are the most enigmatic tennis players to ever step on the tennis court.

Venus vs. Serena Wimbledon 2000

I actually missed school to watch this match :devil: I remember first watching Serena win the 99 US Open final and I was cheering for her to win even though it was my first time ever seeing her play. I remember seeing Venus' face when Serena won and I felt bad for Venus.

I didn't watch any tennis after that so that didn't make me a fan for life. But I did watch Wimbledon that year. Serena was destroying opponents and Venus beat Hingis in the quarters. Then it came to the semifinal and there was all this hype. I was rooting for Venus because Serena already had a slam, but that match made me a fan for life of both sisters. I still remember the commentators talking about Venus' left-handed forehand and seeing Serena break down in tears after double faulting on match point :sobbing: From that moment on I started following all their results and tried to watch as many matches of theirs as possible!

If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be as interested in tennis and I wouldn't have experienced some of the great sporting moments that they have both produced in their careers!

Me Three! :D

I don't think I can pin my fan hood onto one match, I just sort of fell in love with Venus and Serena, then Mauresmo and then Schnyder... really sort of like love at first sight. But it was THAT match VvS 2000 that got me tuning into tennis in the first place.

AcesHigh
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I've been fans of players... but I think I'm only a fan of Vee "for life". I liked her before this match but after watching it, I knew I'd be a fan of hers probably forever:

Serena def. Venus Wimbledon F 2003 She just fought so hard through her injury and before the tournament, I liked both sisters, but I was tired of Venus constantly losing and knowing how it must have begun to eaten her up inside. Up until that point, my faves were changing a lot but since then, Venus has been my #1. :)

Malva
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Sharapova def. Serena Williams 6-1 6-4 (2004 Wimbledon Ladies Championship final)

From that moment onward, there was no one else

That memorable match made me an instant supporter of MS as well. However, with time passing, her incessant high pitched grunting, and the kill-the-point-as-quickly-as-you-can approach to playing tennis, kept eroding my support.

In the end, I found myself supporting her for nearly everything but her tennis. And since tennis is not about flat tummies, long legs, chic clothes, or even eloquence, my benevolence towards Sharapova continues but I moved to other pastures in search of pleasures more closely associated with the art of playing tennis, and not just winning trophies, or netting multimillion dollars endorsements from major goods manufacturers.

G1Player2
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Me Three! :D

I don't think I can pin my fan hood onto one match, I just sort of fell in love with Venus and Serena, then Mauresmo and then Schnyder... really sort of like love at first sight. But it was THAT match VvS 2000 that got me tuning into tennis in the first place.

Me Four!!! I actually watched the 1999 US Open semi-final between Venus and Hingis and I had missed the Serena Davenport semi-final and I didn't know the outcome. But towards the end of the Vee and Hingis match they showed Serena and the commentators said "There's one of our finalist." I remember being sooooooooo excited, but I was dissapointed that Venus lost. :sad: The next day, I watched the final on a Saturday all by myself and I just knew she'd win.

But, after that, I didn't follow Venus and Serena until Wimbledon the next year and I remember Serena dominating her opponents. I also skipped school the day they played and I admit I was slightly rooting for Serena but I was happy for Venus. Again, I just knew Venus would beat Davenport in the final. I followed Venus's hardcourt season including the US Open. I remember Serena losing to Davenport in the quarters fairly easy and I was very sad. :sad: So I hedged all my bets on Venus. I was nervous that she had to play Hingis in the semi-final since Hingis had the best stats going in but she pulled through and I believe that is still one of the most high quality WS matches and one of the top 10 matches of all time in the Open Era.

Even though I still supported them, I really didn't start following them week in and week out, following the rankings, etc. until the Austrailian Open 2001. It was the first AO I followed and I was excited for Serena because Venus was just not playing well enough. This was the year of choking Serena and she lost to Hingis in the quarters while being up 2 breaks in the 3rd set. :rolleyes:
I was gutted. And, I knew Venus would lose to Hingis in the semi-final, but not like she did. :fiery: I didn't like Hingis at the time, but I knew she would win the tournament so I was pleasantly surprised to get home and find out Capriati had beat her. :devil:

RJWCapriati
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:52 AM
2001 French Open F

Sharakim
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:17 AM
That memorable match made me an instant supporter of MS as well. However, with time passing, her incessant high pitched grunting, and the kill-the-point-as-quickly-as-you-can approach to playing tennis, kept eroding my support.

In the end, I found myself supporting her for nearly everything but her tennis. And since tennis is not about flat tummies, long legs, chic clothes, or even eloquence, my benevolence towards Sharapova continues but I moved to other pastures in search of pleasures more closely associated with the art of playing tennis, and not just winning trophies, or netting multimillion dollars endorsements from major goods manufacturers.Great post. Over the years I've watched tennis I have supported other players like Henin and Federer because I respected their attitudes to the game and their "artistic style" of play. However, Maria is just so special to me. I own her for getting into the sport and I just love the effort she puts into every point. I never go into a sharapova match expecting to be wowed by her variety, if she happens to have a great volleying day then awesome but it's not nessesary. The wimbledon 2004 match made me love her because I saw what a fighter she is and a big part of me wants to be strong like her. Further, not to sound sexist but at the time i didn't think she could beat serena. She looked too pretty to do it. Well she proved me wrong and I love her for it.

Malva
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Great post. Over the years I've watched tennis I have supported other players like Henin and Federer because I respected their attitudes to the game and their "artistic style" of play. However, Maria is just so special to me. I own her for getting into the sport and I just love the effort she puts into every point. I never go into a sharapova match expecting to be wowed by her variety, if she happens to have a great volleying day then awesome but it's not nessesary. The wimbledon 2004 match made me love her because I saw what a fighter she is and a big part of me wants to be strong like her. Further, not to sound sexist but at the time i didn't think she could beat serena. She looked too pretty to do it. Well she proved me wrong and I love her for it.

Thank you for your kind words. What you are writing about is precisely what I meant when saying that I continued supporting Sharapova even though, after the initial excitement of her winning the Wimbledon out of the blue began to fade, I found myself not to be particularly in love with her style of playing.

Sharapova in meantime, from an unlikely underdog transformed herself into a megastar, she achieved the degree of success, especially financial one, not just few tennis players, but very few women in the history of sport will ever achieve, and most can only dream about a fraction of it.

Being generally predisposed to supporting rather those who need support than those who already made it big time and are dominant, I feel that putting my heart behind some deserving girl who is on her way up, and at the same time displays finesse in her tennis is not betraying my old flames, so to speak.

Ah, and I should add, lest I forget: unlike you, I was very much into tennis long before anybody ever heard of Sharapova. So, certainly, I don't owe to Sharapova my initiation as a tennis fan.

sakya23
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:44 AM
2007 Australian Open Final

esquímaux
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Key Biscayne '03 QF

Chanda Rubin d. Justine Henin 6-3, 6-2

Now they're both gone and I'm categorically at a loss :sad:

nabfunky
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:25 AM
any nicole fans? :help:

miss_molik
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Alicia Molik: AO 05. It was actually her second round match that I first watched her play, but the rest of her tournament there was what made me love her :)
Justine: Went and saw her against Schiavone Sydney 06 and have loved her ever since :P
Jelena: Sydney final 07 lol
Stosur: Don't know. Probably her run at AO 06

Kim's_fan_4ever
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Clijsters: I don't remember, it just happened :lol:
Jankovic: LA 2006 vs Dementieva
Hantuchova: I don't remember
Sharapova: Berlin 2004 vs Capriati
Ivanovic: Zurich 2004 vs Venus
Golovin: Antwerp 2006 vs Clijsters

These were all lost matches :lol:

mashasabinefan1
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Maria -2004 wimbledon semis...i fell in love with everything about her i loved her fighting spirit and she looked so gorgeous:hearts:
nicole vaidisova-Rg 4r against mauresmo
vika azarenka tashkent 07
aga radwanska us open 3r even though she beat maria, i liked how intelligent she was on court
sabine lisicki-miami 3r against chakvetadze
nastya pavlyuchenkova-RG 2r against pennetta

Asif_Nawaz
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Henin- vs Schnyder way back in '01 or '02. I was like 7 and i just fell in love with her game.

Paszek- vs Dementieva Wimbledon 2007, i just love how she could drive the ball around the court with so much strength and having such pinpoint accuracy on them.

Schett- I think it was in '01 or '02 cant remember against who.

Mara Santangelo- vs Justine at the 2004 Aussie Open.

Sofia Arvidsson- vs Likhovtseva at Sunfeast Open 2005.

Jankovic- vs Sharapova AO 2004 and vs Davenport Dubai 2005.

Dokic- vs Davenport in 2001 or 2002.

Hele.
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Karolina Sprem when 2004. beat Venus Williams in Wimbledon 7-6 7-6 in second round. :hearts:

Hashim.
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Kim: i don't remember..from the start:shrug:

JJ: same as Kim;)

Julia Vakulenko: after her win against momo:awww:

Maria Sharapova: USO 2006:)

Lena D: IW 06

Renalicious
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Dunnoooo. I've always kind of liked her (since the Aus Open 03 Final) but she never really became a FAVORITE until she defeated Peer at the 2007 Aus Open.

Bartoli - Wimbledon 2007 Semis, of course...

Su-Wei Hsieh - Wimbledon 2007 1r against Golovin

Jankovic - This year's Roland Garros SF

I wouldn't call any of these 'for life' though. I will only be a fan of one person for life and that's Serena. And even then I dont have 'one match'. It's a combination of a lot of matches and off court stuff too.

Lindsayfan32
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:48 AM
The first match I ever saw Lindsay play was the final of the Australian women's hard courts in 1994 Lindsay won in three sets for her third career title and 94 was a time when the moon ballers still ruled tennis and Lindsay hit the ball hard flat and played fast. I decided to go and watch Lindsay some more during the Australian open and saw every match she played including her first slam quarter final against Steffi and from then on I've been hooked. I like Lindsay's humble in victory and even more humble in defeat attitude. :):worship: Tenniis will never be same for me once she retires.

Rumkin
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Well definently Maria S VS Serena, Wimby Final 2004

She really made me a fan of tennis because before that I didn't really watch
a lot of matches. When she played against davenport I knew she was something special
but never really imagined her winning the final. :lol: it was the first time I got really
involved in a tennis match, saying common's and what not..and when she finally won and fell on
her knees I was just :hearts: so yeah that was a very special match.

ivpasqua88
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:18 AM
2004 Rome......Flavia Pennetta beating Petrova....since that day flavia is my totally favourite player!

améliemomo
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:22 AM
YEC 2005 amélie winning her first very prestigious tournament beating clijsters,sharapova,dementieva and pierce in the Finale.
Pierce who made 2 slams finales that year and clijsters the US Open.
This tournament was really important for her carreer cause she won 2 slams the year after.:cool:
This win made me so proud to be her fan cause she was slumping few weeks before. She played great tennis and with big big motivation.
There are no rules with amélie and proud to be her fan,always.

homogenius
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:34 AM
USO 07, semi against Sveta.Chaky :hearts:

StephenUK
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Really surprised how many Johnny-come-lately fans there are on here. How can you be a real fan of Venus Williams if you weren't rooting for her in her first grand slam final against Martina Hingis at the 1997 US Open? There was loads of publicity about the sisters all that year, even before Venus really did much. I can understand those of you who were too young at the time, but anyone in their 20s plus should have known what was happening.

The match that had me glued to Justine Henin's career was her second round match against Lindsay Davenport in the French Open in 1999. Ranked 121 in the world, aged only 17, she pushed the world no 2 to the brink of defeat 6-3 2-6 7-5. This was the first televised match (on Eurosport)I saw of her and her ravishing backhand. From then on, I followed her matches and was determined to see her play live at the first opportunity.

andrewC
Sep 29th, 2008, 12:44 PM
TianTian (and Li Ting) beating Venus and Chanda at the Athens Olympics :)

heart
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM
amelie-doha 2r: amelie vs ana, then i became me more of a fan when she lost to molik :p

Noctis
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Ummmmm

Catfina beat Serena in rome 3rd set :worship:
Na Qf final apperance in Wimby :D
Jie Beating Anna Wimby :hearts:

Serena every match she wins :bigclap:

Renalicious
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:25 PM
^Berlin.

Sharapowerr
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Maria Sharapova def A.Sugiyama Wimbledon 2004

benji48
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Mary Pierce def Venus Williams 6/4 6/4 (Athenes 2004)

danieln1
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:46 PM
French final 99 when Martina lost to graf, Davenport winning YEC SF against clijsters

OsloErik
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Really surprised how many Johnny-come-lately fans there are on here. How can you be a real fan of Venus Williams if you weren't rooting for her in her first grand slam final against Martina Hingis at the 1997 US Open? There was loads of publicity about the sisters all that year, even before Venus really did much. I can understand those of you who were too young at the time, but anyone in their 20s plus should have known what was happening.

Venus Williams has gotten incredibly more enjoyable with age. Same with Serena. When they were younger and Richard got as much press as they did, the media surrounding them was just awe-inspiringly arrogant. Richard's presence and personality really detracted from their general fan base in Europe, which wasn't used to a tennis dad being so brazen. Additionally, Europeans don't have quite the same obsession with race as Americans (which isn't the same as saying there isn't racism, because there is) and a great deal of the Williams experience is much more remarkable if you have a handle on racism. I didn't actually care much for Venus until 1999, and Serena until 2003 after the Henin match at the French, when I could palpably feel how much she wanted to win and how hard she worked. And most Williams fans on here will still tell you, I'm not a fan as in "Royal Court" member; I'm a fan of their game and their comportment on court. There personalities are fascinating, but that's less what I'm into. And in the '90s, the personality took center stage over their talent.

Malva
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Additionally, Europeans don't have quite the same obsession with race as Americans (which isn't the same as saying there isn't racism, because there is) and a great deal of the Williams experience is much more remarkable if you have a handle on racism. I didn't actually care much for Venus until 1999, and Serena until 2003 after the Henin match at the French, when I could palpably feel how much she wanted to win and how hard she worked. And most Williams fans on here will still tell you, I'm not a fan as in "Royal Court" member; I'm a fan of their game and their comportment on court. There personalities are fascinating, but that's less what I'm into. And in the '90s, the personality took center stage over their talent.

Actually, most of the Americans aren't obsessed with race either, Erik. It is rather some individuals who are playing the race card, skilfully or crudely, often helped by media in making their message heard.

When the race card is invoked, it is frequently invoked out of place as it became a very convenient weapon that has been used unfortunately all too often in a cynical or irresponsible manner. Even in this forum you can see this happening, and hardly Americans alone are the culprits. And who is bold enough to stand up to those individuals and tell them they are cynical and irresponsible?

Taking what you see on a TV screen, and read in newspapers, to be the genuine opinions of the populace may result in confusing media created fictions with Reality.

serenafann
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Serena's 99 U.S. Open victory did it for me.
Venus's 97 Semi against Spirlea[the infamous bumper]
Monica was more of an accumulation of watching her play

Optima
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Jankovic: 2007 US Open QF against Venus. Sold. For life. I was already enjoying her quite a lot before that as well though.

FrenchY52
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I've been a fan for life way before that match but Tati vs Serena @ the USO04 and her match against Maria @ Miami06

gmak
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Kim: 1999 USOpen against Serena :worship: :sad: she was so close to a huge upset
Lena: 1999 Australian Open against Hingis :D she lost but I loved her right away :hug:
Masha: 2003 Wimbledon against Dokic :) impressive win at the time
Nadia: 2003 French Open against Capriati :D her first GS semi

cn ireland
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Wimbledon 1999

R1: Dokic def. Hingis: I just loved the way Jelena destroyed the then world #1 and she'll always be my fav no matter how frustrating being a fan of hers is:D!

frontier
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM
wimbledon venus df lindsay 2000
serena...I became a fan during the French Open 02

Jose.
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:50 PM
A fan:
JJ lost to Venus Williams Rome 2006 57 64 61

A huge fan:
JJ def. Dementieva 2006 US OPen QF 62 61

Ciarán
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
Masha 04 Wimbyyyyyyyyyyyy

doujyr
Oct 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
current players ....

1 mara santangelo vs serena wimbledon 05
2 lucie safarova vs amelie melbourne 07 and jj wimbledon 07
3 elena vs lindsay flushing meadow 05
4 pova wimbledon 04

M-K
Oct 1st, 2008, 09:25 PM
Maria Sharapova's Wimbledon 2004
Nicole Vaidisova's French open 2006

kaktusino
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:08 PM
Elena - vs Davenport USO QF 05

mauresmofan
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:37 PM
It wasn't so much a match but the manner in which Amélie Mauresmo conducted herself after the comments of then World numbers 1 and 2 Davenport and Hingis at the Aussi Open 1999

SOA_MC
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:43 PM
It wasn't so much a match but the manner in which Amélie Mauresmo conducted herself after the comments of then World numbers 1 and 2 Davenport and Hingis at the Aussi Open 1999

I know what Hingis said but what did Davenport say?

hingis-seles
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Martina Hingis - 1996 Wimbledon vs Graf.
Monica Seles - no match in particular. Just always supported her.

Not as huge a fan, but nonetheless:

Karolina Sprem - Berlin 2004 vs Venus. I'd had an interest in her before that because of her insane win streak in futures events.

Jelena Jankovic - no match in particular, but I've found myself always rooting for her since 2006. Especially since RG 2007.

hingis-seles
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM
I know what Hingis said but what did Davenport say?

Lindsay said Amelie was hitting the ball so hard, it felt like she was playing a man. Lindsay later accussed the press of taking her comments out of context, was outraged and felt terrible about the situation that had arisen and apologised to Mauresmo for the misunderstanding.

Most people don't realise this, but Amelie really hit the ball hard back in the day before her injuries. She overpowered Lindsay Davenport! When Davenport was world #1! :eek:

SOA_MC
Oct 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM
Lindsay said Amelie was hitting the ball so hard, it felt like she was playing a man. Lindsay later accussed the press of taking her comments out of context, was outraged and felt terrible about the situation that had arisen and apologised to Mauresmo for the misunderstanding.

Most people don't realise this, but Amelie really hit the ball hard back in the day before her injuries. She overpowered Lindsay Davenport! When Davenport was world #1! :eek:

Well if that's all she said then I'm on Lindsay side the media did take it out of context the media trying to start crap when there is none

Andrew Laeddis
Oct 1st, 2008, 11:05 PM
Sharapova: 2005 Wimbledon SF against Venus. Even though she lost that was the match that made me a huge fan of hers.
Vaidisova: 2006 French Open R16 against Mauresmo

chloe-l
Oct 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM

The match that had me glued to Justine Henin's career was her second round match against Lindsay Davenport in the French Open in 1999. Ranked 121 in the world, aged only 17, she pushed the world no 2 to the brink of defeat 6-3 2-6 7-5. This was the first televised match (on Eurosport)I saw of her and her ravishing backhand. From then on, I followed her matches and was determined to see her play live at the first opportunity.

:wavey:

moon
Oct 2nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
1997 USO semi-finals Vee vs. Spirlea
She really gutted out that win, and could have folded completely, but she hung in there and won!
True grit. :)

kiwifan
Oct 3rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
1997 USO semi-finals Vee vs. Spirlea
She really gutted out that win, and could have folded completely, but she hung in there and won!
True grit. :)

:worship: That's the one!!! :worship:

I love that Spirlea let it be known the "the hate" was out there. :lol:

But it couldn't overcome the f*cking Venus Williams. :devil:

VeeJJ
Oct 3rd, 2008, 12:55 AM
2007 USO QF: Venus vs. Jelena...Even though she lost i really liked her....I wanted her to win so bad...That was a tense 3rd set tie-break....

Daniel K
Oct 3rd, 2008, 01:06 AM
Peng defeating Myskina at Sydney 2005. Loved her groundstrokes.
Hingis I really don't remember, but probably during one of her Aus Open wins in the 90's. When she came back I was so happy and a bigger fan than before.

friendsita
Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:14 AM
Venus since the uso 97 - her way into the final, but I became a totally devoted fan since Wimy 05
Serena since she won her first GS I JUST LOVE HER

A Magicman
Oct 3rd, 2008, 05:45 AM
Oz Open 2001, R64

[2] Davenport def. [Q] Arn 6-2, 4-6, 6-2

Greta was fantastic and really moved Jabba around being only #146 in the world. Great performance, though she lost in the end.

Rix643
Oct 3rd, 2008, 06:26 AM
vs. J. Schruff, 1st round Ordina Open '06.

It was the first live-match I saw.

Martian Jeza
Oct 3rd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Hingis vs. Huber at Filderstadt 1996.

alex14
Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Hingis Oz open 99 that was the tournament i followed tennis, and to see her win the womens singles and doubles...unfortunately it would be the last time i would witness her win another slam :(

mr_burns
Oct 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
always liked elene, but became a fan when she beat clijster in filderstadt 05...what a match

Started to become a lindsay fan during her comeback around 2002

I started liking amelie during the begin of teh century, remember some tough matches against serena (gaz de france)