PDA

View Full Version : The Last Ever Tier I -- Kremlin Cup -- the best draw in ages?

AnnaK_4ever
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:11 AM
As you know, the next year the tier system is to be abolished so Kremlin Cup in Moscow (October, 6-12) will be the last ever Tier I event in WTA history.

As of now, MD of the event includes:

RK PLAYER NAT

01 S WILLIAMS USA
02 J JANKOVIC SRB
03 D SAFINA RUS
04 A IVANOVIC SRB
05 E DEMENTIEVA RUS
07 S KUZNETSOVA RUS
08 V WILLIAMS USA
09 V ZVONAREVA RUS
10 A RADWANSKA POL
12 A CHAKVETADZE RUS
13 D HANTUCHOVA SVK
14 M BARTOLI FRA
15 F PENNETTA ITA
16 V AZARENKA BLR
17 C WOZNIACKI DEN
18 N PETROVA RUS
19 A CORNET FRA
20 D CIBULKOVA SVK
22 N VAIDISOVA CZE
25 A MAURESMO FRA
26 A SZAVAY HUN
29 N LI CHN

#21 Srebotnik and #23 Schiavone lead the qualifications.

Providing there are no withdrawals, there could be 1R match between two top-tenners :lol:

But in reality how many pull-outs will we see?

InsideOut.
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Wow...1R match between two top 10 :tape:

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM
This could be the 'sixth slam of the tour'?

sammy01
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM
venus will probably pull out if she plays stutgart, maybe jj as well if she wins beijing (as its looking unlikely they will play the final today with the weather). but still it will be a great draw even if those 2 players withdrew.

serenus_2k8
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Venus will play, so will Ree unless they are genuinely injured. I disagree with you Sammy.

But the field here does look amazing!!

You have made me all nostalgic now :( RIP Tier Is :lol:

Just Do It
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM
venus will probably pull out if she plays stutgart, maybe jj as well if she wins beijing (as its looking unlikely they will play the final today with the weather). but still it will be a great draw even if those 2 players withdrew.

Oh are you serious ? :spit:

Good list, but I expect many w/d's.

And how do you guys think last tier I ? Cananye explain, I dont know those silly new rules :(

AnnaK_4ever
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Oh are you serious ? :spit:

Good list, but I expect many w/d's.

And how do you guys think last tier I ? Cananye explain, I dont know those silly new rules :(

Next year there will be Premier Series events (mix of Tier I and Tier II events):
Sydney, Paris Indoors, Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Stuttgart [indoor claycourts], Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Eastbourne, Stanford, LA, Cincinnati, Canadian Open, New Haven, Tokyo, Beijing, Moscow
and International Series events (mix of Tier III and Tier IV events):
Brisbane, Auckland, Hobart, Pattaya City, Memphis, Bogota, Acapulco, Monterrey, Ponte Vedra Beach, Barcelona, Fes, Estoril, Strasbourg, Birmingham, s'Hertogenbosch, Budapest, Bastad, Palermo, Prague, Portoroz, Warsaw, Istanbul, Guangzhou, Quebec City, Seoul, Tashkent, Linz, Osaka, Luxembourg.

tejmeglekvár
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
nice field. :drool:
WCs?

but Szavay in MD. :rolls: not even top100 player atm.

Dave.
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Last Tier I :sad:

I always preferred the Tier system to the ATP's one and now they are basically copying what they have.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Wow awesome field, I can't wait :D First rounds will be exciting, I can't remember the last time we had interesting first round matches between big names :D

enchantrezz
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Amazing field ! I dont think there will be pull outs among the top 5.

TennisFanForever
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
OMG :eek: Elena D. has the title to defend here :scared:

dane
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I expect at least 3 withdrawals :)

Beny
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Poor Kata always has to go through qualies..

Lena will have tough time defending the title but she plays well in difficult draws and she always plays well in Moscow. I´m confident about a SF or better this time.

I guess if a top10 player wins Stuttgart she will withdraw from Moscow I guess, unless it´s Lena :lol:

enchantrezz
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I expect at least 3 withdrawals :)

JJ, Dinara and Serena ?? :lol:

just kidding ;)

Vamos.
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM
JJ will only withdraw if she dies. :shrug:

nabfunky
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Next year there will be Premier Series events (mix of Tier I and Tier II events):
Sydney, Paris Indoors, Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Stuttgart [indoor claycourts], Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Eastbourne, Stanford, LA, Cincinnati, Canadian Open, New Haven, Tokyo, Beijing, Moscow
and International Series events (mix of Tier III and Tier IV events):
Brisbane, Auckland, Hobart, Pattaya City, Memphis, Bogota, Acapulco, Monterrey, Ponte Vedra Beach, Barcelona, Fes, Estoril, Strasbourg, Birmingham, s'Hertogenbosch, Budapest, Bastad, Palermo, Prague, Portoroz, Warsaw, Istanbul, Guangzhou, Quebec City, Seoul, Tashkent, Linz, Osaka, Luxembourg.

how do you think this well affect eurosport's coverage? as of now, their commitment has been to show tier ii's and above. next year, do you think they will show more or less tennis?

i also preferred the tier system. i think the new rules result in less tennis being played.

serenus_2k8
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM

:lol: She would probably still make an appearance :scared:

serenus_2k8
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
how do you think this well affect eurosport's coverage? as of now, their commitment has been to show tier ii's and above. next year, do you think they will show more or less tennis?

i also preferred the tier system. i think the new rules result in less tennis being played.

Coverage will improve if the new system is effective with less knowledgeable fans than those here.

Look at the Masters Series coverage :drool: Sky provide 2 courts, and show virtually every match, which is phenomonal. I know mens tennis is different to womens but I think that having the female equivalent to MS will be beneficial in increasing the air time.

nabfunky
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
also, what happened to doha and zurich? and why have linz and luxembourg been downgraded? makes no sense. :confused:

Matt01
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Not funny.

Nasty.

Fantasy Hero
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:22 PM
:lol: She would probably still make an appearance :scared:
:rolleyes::worship::lol: i think it too!

nabfunky
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Coverage will improve if the new system is effective with less knowledgeable fans than those here.

Look at the Masters Series coverage :drool: Sky provide 2 courts, and show virtually every match, which is phenomonal. I know mens tennis is different to womens but I think that having the female equivalent to MS will be beneficial in increasing the air time.

the atp has contracts with many different channels globally to show the masters events (it's not just sky). the wta only has eurosport for anything. are you saying more channels will now partner with the wta or that eurosport will show virtually every match from the premier events?

Ciarán
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:26 PM
C'mon Dinara!

serenus_2k8
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Not funny.

Nasty.

You would know.

the atp has contracts with many different channels globally to show the masters events (it's not just sky). the wta only has eurosport for anything. are you saying more channels will now partner with the wta or that eurosport will show virtually every match from the premier events?

I believe that ES would not instantly buy rights to every single event and broadcast every single match over night, however the new ''Road Map'' is supposed to increase interest in WTA by making it easier to understand. For example when a viewer sees that Masters Series is on the TV, they know all the top players will be there fighting for a big title.

With the WTA this is not the case atm, however if it was, and viewing figures increase as a consequence I believe they will get better contracts.