PDA

View Full Version : Who's the next Russian player reach to No 1?

Koon
Sep 28th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Top 5 Russian players : Safina, Dementieva, Sharapova,Kuznetsova,Zvonareva

iPatty
Sep 28th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Safina is the only one with a realistic chance until around May of next season but I doubt she will get to #1. Sharapova will probably regain the #1 spot at some point late next year.

solo
Sep 28th, 2008, 04:29 AM
safina

Sander.
Sep 28th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Safina.

Sassy-Na
Sep 28th, 2008, 06:41 AM
maria shouldnt be in this poll :p

safina i think.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 28th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Safina, as iPatty. says has got til May to do it. If she doesn't make it by May I would say that is her window of opportunity well and truly gone. But I do believe she is almost certain to make it now based on how well she is playing at the moment and the amount of points she has to defend compared to those around her. Dinara is pretty much a lock for this question then.

As for the future, I'd be surprised if either Dementieva or Kuznetsova ever reached number 1 but it is hardly an impossibility. Vera's chances would be quite a bit less even than those two even but again I wouldn't stake my life against the possibility.

As for Sharapova, well she has got to number one before so, if healthy, there is no question she can do it again. But I would wait and see how well her shoulder heals before I attempted to make any real assessments on her future. Rotator cuff injuries can be very unpredictable. They can end careers, they can heal without a trace of damage, or anything in between. Tommy Haas in the ATP is a good example of an "in between" case. After coming back from his rotator cuff injury he was never quite the same player again but he still managed a lot of good results nevertheless. Sharapova's case of course is quite different in that she has chosen not to have surgery. We will see how that turns out.

kwilliams
Sep 28th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Safina is the only one with a realistic chance until around May of next season but I doubt she will get to #1. Sharapova will probably regain the #1 spot at some point late next year.

Agreed except I don't think it's probable Sharapova will get the top spot late next year. It's 50/50 in my eyes (of course, either way, it's virtually impossible to make predictions so far ahead).

In The Zone
Sep 28th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Safina probably gets it before this year is over. :shrug:

hankqq
Sep 28th, 2008, 07:16 AM
for reasons others have already said, Safina :)

Adal
Sep 28th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Safina.

SOA_MC
Sep 28th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Go Kuzzie Go:rocker2:

Dodoboy.
Sep 28th, 2008, 07:43 AM
There will be no more number #1s!

Serena will be there forever :)

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Sep 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Why is Makiri not on the list.

serenus_2k8
Sep 28th, 2008, 07:56 AM
There will be no more number #1s!

Serena will be there forever :)

Yes, finally some1 said it! I guess they mean ''if Ree is going to give her spot up, which unworthy wannabe will keep it warm until she can be bothered coming back for it?''

Btw, when is the Stuttgart draw out - Ree needs some points here?

Dinayer
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:20 AM
safina

babuska6
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Dinara. She has a fantastic form and if she still works hard she will be number one.

OsloErik
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:34 AM

Because she's not even threatening the top 10, let alone #1.

sammy01
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:01 AM
i would say safina but then i guess that depends on serena. dinara has very few points defend early next year but serena has places she could easily bolster her tally. if serena wins the oz open, i don't see anyone taking the #1 ranking from her for the whole of '09.

Cp6uja
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Only Serena can prevent Dinara to reach #1 sometime in next 6 months. If that happen there is Maria which is always Russians best shoot on long terms. Sveta and Elena probably waste their life-chance to reach #1 this summer and Zvonareva is never threat (some upcoming players like Pavlyuchenkova have better chances on long terms).

Il Primo!
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Dinara!

But again, who could imagine this!? It's unbelievable, in Feb. I was so bitching on her :rolls:

But Maria'll come back on top sooner as soon as she gets really fit, she's clearly the best of the Russians :worship:

OsloErik
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Sveta and Elena probably waste their life-chance to reach #1 this summer and Zvonareva is never threat

Just to clarify, you are aware that Kuznetsova is 23 years old compared to Dementieva who will be 27 in two weeks, right? I think it's a little difficult to declare that a 23 year old who just spent fell out of the top 5 for the first time in two years has lost her opportunity to be #1. Almost as ridiculous as saying a 20 year old who has just lost early at two slams is finished as a top player. I'd say that in two years, since Serena is less likely to be at the top (although, as always, she will remain a threat) and Dementieva will likely be out of the top 10 for good, the window of opportunity will be far wider than it is now. Anyone under 25 years old is probably looking forward to the 2010 season, because by that point the older players who have frustrated the rise of the youngers this year (Schnyder, Dementieva, Venus, Serena, etc.) will be that much older.

Dodoboy.
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
However voted Sveta is :smash::weirdo:

Costanza
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Safina.
Sharapova will lose 990 points from YEC and Doha by March and must defend AO title,so no great chances for her.

cn ireland
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Safina because she's #3 already and has very little to defend between now and Berlin next year.

Dorien.
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Safina, she deserves it also :)

mashamaniac
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I wonder how come you put vera in that list? or even kuzzi?? especially kuzzi doesn't even deserve to be in top 10 IMO not to mention her chances for #1??!!

mashamaniac
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Maria has the best chance despite not playing the rest of the season,she'll be back till 2009 and will regain #1 spot at some point...

améliemomo
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM
safina and she would deserve it.

Koon
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Safina because In Moscow Serena must defend her final points maybe she will down to No. 3
And maybe in Doha, Safina will rose to No.1 for the first time ever

Ciarán
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM
After Australia, Safina. But I think before the Clay court season Sharapova will be top 3 again and after the clay court season she'll be in contention for No.1

Costanza
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Safina because In Moscow Serena must defend her final points maybe she will down to No. 3
And maybe in Doha, Safina will rose to No.1 for the first time ever

Yes,but,also Safina must defend her semi-final.

SOA_MC
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM
After Australia, Safina. But I think before the Clay court season Sharapova will be top 3 again and after the clay court season she'll be in contention for No.1

Pova's going to lose her YEC points and if she can't defend the Australian Open she won't be top 5 by the start of the clay season

Lucas_Arg
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Safina right now, but Maria is the best russian by far.

Fantasy Hero
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I think Safina, 'cause Maria won't defend her points of YEC and AO...
Kutznetzova and Zvonareva :lol:

Costanza
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Pova's going to lose her YEC points and if she can't defend the Australian Open she won't be top 5 by the start of the clay season

And Doha points,since this tournament is moved to October,becoming Championships.

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Dinara has biult up a ton of points since May in Berlin. She's going to get there, either late this year or early next year, if healthy.
Dementieva has a chance early next year.
Kuznetsova just reached 2 finals. She needs 50 more weeks of that.
Sharapova is far away, and needs a great 2009 to get back to #1.

Demska
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Dementieva.

Craig.
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Alla Pavlyuchenkova.

shirley
Sep 28th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Dinara

sakya23
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Safina has reached the finals of all but one of her events. She has the best chance. Dementieva isn't as consistent. But its good to see her have a great year, when you compare it to last year. :)

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 29th, 2008, 12:50 AM

:haha:

safina.

Uranium
Sep 29th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Safina or Dementieva, like them both:p

Tennisstar86
Sep 29th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Safina shes almost guranteed to have it after the AO....

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Just to clarify, you are aware that Kuznetsova is 23 years old compared to Dementieva who will be 27 in two weeks, right? I think it's a little difficult to declare that a 23 year old who just spent fell out of the top 5 for the first time in two years has lost her opportunity to be #1. Almost as ridiculous as saying a 20 year old who has just lost early at two slams is finished as a top player. I'd say that in two years, since Serena is less likely to be at the top (although, as always, she will remain a threat) and Dementieva will likely be out of the top 10 for good, the window of opportunity will be far wider than it is now. Anyone under 25 years old is probably looking forward to the 2010 season, because by that point the older players who have frustrated the rise of the youngers this year (Schnyder, Dementieva, Venus, Serena, etc.) will be that much older.

Patty Schnyder is 11 in the world at 30 years old , clown . Elena will be top 10 the next 3 seasons if she wants

Sharakim
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:23 AM
If Sharapova's injury heals and she gains confidence, then the other russians will be knocked over like bowling pins and Maria will reassume #1 in her country if not the world.

Other than Sharapova, if Safina proves that her 2008 wasn't just a fluke she has a shot at #1 of her country. She'll need to win a GS before I think she can be world #1.

Kuznetsova? no, there is always someone better than her at slams. Moreover, Sharapova (and maybe Safina) is a better player than her.

My pick? Sharapova be a mile. I think she can easily become top russian in 2009. Safina will be russian #2, Kuzy #3. World #1 is hard to say, depends on who wins the slams.

Dawn Marie
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I can't count out Svetlana. I think she still has loads of potential to win slams and titles. I can see this kid having a break out year by winning another slam.

AcesHigh
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Sharapova late next year. Serena wins YEC and holds Jankovic and Safina off for the rest of 2008.

delicatecutter
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Safina.

It's not even a contest. Dinara's ascent is the story of the year for me. It's incredible to see a player come into her own before our very eyes. She is a phenomenal talent who has worked her ass off and is now reaping the rewards. :worship:

Zealisa
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Safina is incredibly talented and now, when she has finally found the right balance between her fiery attitude and tennis, I'm sure that she can become number 1 very soon.

LindsayRulz
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Safina has a good chance to reach the top spot, she could do it this year but if she doesn't, I'd say that after the Australian Open next week she'll be in pretty good position if not already #1.

Koon
Oct 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Wow Safina now reached to #2