PDA

View Full Version : Why is JJ no,1 in the Race to the YEC?

Roookie
Sep 27th, 2008, 05:32 PM
So Serena is who needs to pass her to become no.1 at the end of the year..and not the other way around.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 27th, 2008, 05:34 PM
JJ is #1 in the race because she plays consistent tennis all year.:yeah:
Serena is not that bad too.:)

Uranium
Sep 27th, 2008, 05:39 PM
:confused:
Serena is #1 in the world:p

Ciarán
Sep 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Consistency

Adal
Sep 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Because she has more points than anyone else?

simonsaystennis
Sep 27th, 2008, 05:42 PM
She plays consistently, but also plays far more than some other top players. It's good to see her dedication, but she could get burned out if she continues to play this rigorous of a schedule each year.

Dodoboy.
Sep 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM
She is currently in the middle of a 5-week stretch of tennis! :)

And she will probably not lose before QF in any of them.

Now imagine that for the whole year (except Wimbledon)

anon57
Sep 27th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Jankovic really is having such a consistent year, she may not have picked many titles this year but apart from Wimbledon she has reached at least the qf of all the events she entered so far this year.

Geisha
Sep 27th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Jankovic really is having such a consistent year, she may not have picked many titles this year but apart from Wimbledon she has reached at least the qf of all the events she entered so far this year.

It really isn't that great. If you lose in the quarters or semis in every tournament, you still get a couple days off. In 2000, Hingis played like, twenty tournaments, and won nine of them, and reached the quarters of everything else. I think Seles had a year post-stabbing where she reached the quarters of everything, as well.

Kworb
Sep 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Ranking is best of 17, race counts every tournament

Dodoboy.
Sep 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM

I didn't even remember that. That sums it up.

anon57
Sep 27th, 2008, 06:07 PM
It really isn't that great. If you lose in the quarters or semis in every tournament, you still get a couple days off. In 2000, Hingis played like, twenty tournaments, and won nine of them, and reached the quarters of everything else. I think Seles had a year post-stabbing where she reached the quarters of everything, as well.I just think that she's been very consist ofcourse a year when you're winning more events and still reaching the quarters or better of all your events is much more impressive because eventhough she's reached at least the quarters most of the time she only got one title and two other finals, not counting the final she's playing tomorrow. So she's consistent but she's only won one title and it the end titles mean more than just consistently going deep in eventsRanking is best of 17, race counts every tournament
Is Year-end #1 determined by ranking or race?

Tamus
Sep 27th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Thank You. It should not have taken 'til post #10 for someone to point this out. :help:

Is Year-end #1 determined by ranking or race?

It is determined by ranking. All the race is for is to determine who gets into the YEC.

maddogz48
Sep 27th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Jankobitch is a tournament whore which is the only reason she is #1 in the race.

Quality over quantity is the better way to go.
Out of the numerous tournaments Janko has played this year she only has one title to show for it and it isn't even a Grand Slam.

Come on Kuzzy! Kick Janko's ass in the China Open finals tomorrow.

Brena
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Because she wants to annoy you haters?

mboyle
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Thank You. It should not have taken 'til post #10 for someone to point this out. :help:

It is determined by ranking. All the race is for is to determine who gets into the YEC.

Thank you! Please WTAworld let's sharpen up:p ;) . I personally think the race is pretty useless to count all tournaments...

ce
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:57 AM
because you hate her

terjw
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Thank you! Please WTAworld let's sharpen up:p ;) . I personally think the race is pretty useless to count all tournaments...

It makes perfect sense to count all tournaments for the race. It's only a few of the top players who play substantially fewer tournaments than everyone else. And if they are top players - they ought to qualify easily anyway. If not - they aren't that good and either need to play like a top player in a few of the tournaments they play or play a few more.

Note also that it's only qualifying for the YEC in the top eight places that the race counts. Seedings at the YEC are based on rankings like every other tournament. And that makes sense.

Making all tournaments count promotes and prolongs interest in the race for who will make it to the YEC. It rewards the players who are the most committed to making it. It makes sense to limit the number of tournaments that count for the rankings. But for races and money lists - no. What if they proposed a cap on money for the best 17 tournaments only? There'd be outrage.

fufuqifuqishahah
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Jankobitch is a tournament whore which is the only reason she is #1 in the race.

Out of the numerous tournaments Janko has played this year she only has one title to show for it and it isn't even a Grand Slam.

people talk smack about tournament consistency as if it has no merit -- she supports the tour. :wavey:

but if we just use your criteria, she actually has played less tournaments this year than 3 others in the top 10. :wavey:

i also wish commentators would realize that. :rolleyes:

Jankolover.
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:43 AM
oh my god :rolleyes:

It is not calculus. JJ plays well in many tournaments, Serena does not play as much and is not an IRON MAIDEN like JJ. :shrug:

geez, Serena fans act like she deserves everything but the kitchen plate.:rolleyes:

The Kaz
Sep 28th, 2008, 03:02 AM

And...Lazyrena shows total lack of commitment...she plays only when she can be bothered to get out of bed (or when they is no party where she can potentially hook up with another loser)

Lets go Janky :D

duhcity
Sep 28th, 2008, 03:47 AM
oh please.

Dont you all love Safina for like the past 4 months all of a sudden? She has 18 tournaments and is still number 3 in the race. go figure

sunsfuns
Sep 28th, 2008, 05:51 AM

I didn't even remember that. That sums it up.

Actually it doesn't. Jelena has played exactly 17 tournaments this year (Beijing is #18) so they all count for both the race and the rankings.

LH2HBH
Sep 28th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Also ranking is since 3rd week of September 2007. Race is since January 1, 2008.

enchantrezz
Sep 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM
"Of course, I would like to regain that No. 1 position. For me the goal is to end the year as the No. 1 player in the world. I'm really working hard, really trying to win as many matches as possible, win titles." - Jelena Jankovic from Beijing

dane
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:52 AM
:help: