PDA

View Full Version : All US Open news and articles updated Sept 4

Pinkie
Aug 19th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Does anybody know what Kim is doing during this week before the US Open? Is she in New York already?

ikke
Aug 19th, 2002, 04:30 PM
She won't play a tournament, she will train.

Come-on-kim
Aug 19th, 2002, 04:51 PM
I read in La Dernière Heure thats she's in New-York where she'll meet Marc Dehous and her new physio Evelyne ... (I don't remember her name)

KaseyL
Aug 19th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Kim's physiotherapist is Eveline Coppens, she is 25 and from near Ghent.

She should have left for New York together with new coach De Hous last Sunday.

Come-on-kim
Aug 19th, 2002, 08:31 PM
I hope we'll see them at the US Open

Souriska
Aug 20th, 2002, 01:00 PM
but lleyton doesn't play either, can someone thell me why ? are they on holiday thogether ?

greets:wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

KaseyL
Aug 20th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Hi Souriska! :wavey:

They are together in NY. However, they aren't exactly on "holidays"; are preparing themselves for next week. So it's practice time, no holiday.

Lleyton doesn't play the week for the US Open, his schedule was made up as such that he has one week's practice right before the grand slam, no tourneys, just like last year's preparation for the US Open. Kim did the same.

KaseyL
Aug 21st, 2002, 09:05 AM
Kim will play doubles with Meghann Shaughnessy at the US Open.

Source: Belgian press, August 21, 2002

translation by Ingrid

“Touch wood, but it’s going very well with Kim’s shoulder at present. So this means she can play doubles, although that remains less important than her singles of course,” dad Leo says.

“Her permanent doubles partner will be probably Jelena Dokic. That would have two advantages. Dokic plays like 29 tournaments a year and is therefore almost always around. Furthermore she is also a top player, so she won’t mind that much if Kim would decide not to play in doubles once in a while.”

KaseyL
Aug 21st, 2002, 09:07 AM
Good to read that her shoulder is doing well!

:bounce: for Kim in doubles

and

:bounce: for Kim in good health!

Stefke
Aug 21st, 2002, 09:33 AM
Are Lleyton and Kim going to play mixed doubles at the USO?
oh I hope so!!:hearts:

kevijntje
Aug 21st, 2002, 10:10 AM
pppppppfffffff kim is seeded 7th , so she can already face a predator in the quarters
i hope she can really go far this year and don't let it be another sister act

C'MON KIM :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ikke
Aug 21st, 2002, 10:27 AM
thanks Ingrid!!!
I think, if she is going to play doubles with Meghann, she won't play mixed doubles, that would be a bit to much imo!!!

Good luck Kim :bounce:
Great to hear that from her schoulder:D

angele87
Aug 21st, 2002, 11:30 AM
pfff I was hoping Lley and Kim would played mixed doubles but I guess they won't now since 3 events would be a bit much :(

lies
Aug 21st, 2002, 04:35 PM
Nope,I don't think kim and lley are going to play mixed doubles together:(
Well,maybe next year then:p
I know they played mixed doubles in wimbledon 2000 and once
at RG(btw in what year was that?)
Did they play together in any other (big) tournament?

You know what ,I really think kim is going to do very well at theUSO!!!:lick: As long as we keep believing in her,she can beat anyone!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:) cheers;)

kevijntje
Aug 21st, 2002, 04:57 PM
Yeah it's greet to see them play doubles together :angel:

i think they only played together at wimbly and RG ( year 2000 i think)

lies
Aug 21st, 2002, 05:05 PM
Thanks kevijntje!!!:)

kevijntje
Aug 21st, 2002, 05:10 PM
no prob lies ;)
some pics?
hope it works

kevijntje
Aug 21st, 2002, 05:25 PM
some more pics:angel: :angel: :angel:

kevijntje
Aug 21st, 2002, 07:06 PM
:angel: :angel: :angel:

Come-on-kim
Aug 21st, 2002, 07:54 PM
Why is she playing doubles with Meghann? Why not with Jelena?

And Justine?

Good to hear that her schoulder is better!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Kim is in Jennifer quarter of draw!!!

She'll face Conchita Martinez in the first round (but not the conchita martinez who won wimbledon, an other martinez)

I hope she'll find her old game back

GO Kim!! Go Kim/Meghann!!! Go Kim/Marc/Eveline

kevijntje
Aug 21st, 2002, 07:54 PM
oops forgot pic

gokimmie
Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:37 AM
i think Kimmie has a very bad draw:(
especially the dangerous first rounds,with eleni there,shnyder.....
BUT i also think,that if she survives those big tests..anything is possible!
IF her game's on,she can beat jen,AND venus too!:bounce::bounce:

KaseyL
Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:11 AM
I don't really like Kim's draw, but it could have been worse, so I am still positive.

I don't like Danniilidou and Mauresmo in the earlier rounds. These two might be very tricky. She won't have a cake walk, that's for sure!

I agree with Eva that if Kim can survive these big tests, anything might be possible.

But then, her game must be on, she needs to play at another level than what she did recently, cut out the amount of errors she has been collecting in the last couple of matches.

Then we need to see a Kim at her best, on fire, and with a daring but effective game.

We all know Kim has the weapons to do so, now let's hope she'll be able to pull that game out of the closet and keep it on court for each round!

:bounce: Good luck Kim!:bounce:

KaseyL
Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:14 AM
The draw –reaction of Leo Clijsters

Here's dad Leo's reaction on Kim's draw:

source: Belgian press, August 22, 2002

translation: Ingrid

“What’s that of a draw? That’s bad!” grumbled Leo Clijsters yesterday night when we told him the names of the opponents of daughter Kim.

After two Spanish appetizers, Martinez Granados (WTA 101) and Leon Garcia (WTA 112), a clash with Eleni Daniilidou follows. The Greec is 19, is 29th in the world rankings, and won in Rosmalen over Justine Henin. In the 4th round is Mauresmo waiting, 9th in the world rankings and in better form than ever.

In case of a victory, Kim will find third seed Capriati (WTA 3) in the quarters, and Venus Williams (WTA 2) in the semis.

spiritfullfrog
Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:17 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GOOOOOOOD LUCK KIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
U CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KaseyL
Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:20 AM
You can check out this thread in GM: http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=35765

It's about Kim and Lleyton practicing.

KaseyL
Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:06 PM
Some opinions from ********************, August 22, 2002:

By sports writer Matthew Cronin:
Amelie has won eight titles now, but hasn't reached a Slam final since the '99 Australian Open. But it's possible she's peaking and if Serena's knee makes her less than 100 percent for the Open, than it's not far fetched to say that Mauresmo (with Kim Clijsters) will be one of Venus' main contenders.

And another quote:
It's Venus' semifinal which (appropriately) should her most severe test, when by all rights she'll take on No. 7 Kim Clijsters Belgium for the third time this summer. In their last contest, at La Costa, the athletic Clijsters nearly knocked her off in three sets and finally appears to believe that she belongs on the same court as the daunting Venus.

But Clijsters is no lock for the semis, as she'll likely have to push past the hard-hitting No. 28 Eleni Daniilidou in the third round; Montreal champ Amelie Mauresmo of France in the fourth round; and third seed Jennifer Capriati of the U.S. in the quarters. Capriati, who has a lot to prove at this year's Open, hasn't won a title since she took her second straight Aussie Open crown last January and has been struggling on hard courts this summer.

By Ron Cioffi:
Re the Williamses’ contenders: And there are others knocking on the door. The women's tour is loaded with major possibilities; top 10 players Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin are ready to take a big title while Amelie Mauresmo and Jelena Dokic are ready to do some damage...

KaseyL
Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:08 PM
And some Clijsters' news:

Elke Clijsters is playing her last tournament in juniors at the US Open.

She'll join Kim as a pro on the wta tour starting as of Tokyo, where Kim will play too. Elke will attempt to enter Tokyo by playing the qualies.

gokimmie
Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:30 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GOOD LUCK ELKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lleykimmy1
Aug 24th, 2002, 11:33 AM
I really hope that one day Kim and Elke will become number one and two of the world !!!!! It would be really amazing !!!!!!!!!!

GO KIM GO LLEYTON GO ELKE !!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Aug 24th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Which day does Kim play the 1st round?

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck Kim and Lleyton!!!:bounce: :bounce:

ßcoene
Aug 24th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Good luck Kim :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Good luck Kim/Meghann :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Good luck Elke :bounce: :bounce:

Good luck Lleyton :bounce: :bounce:

Let's hope the Clijsters-Hewitt family will have a lot to celebrate. :)

KaseyL
Aug 24th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Opinion of Pam Schriver re Kim's chances at the US Open:

"Jennifer Capriati, Kim Clijsters and Amelie Mauresmo are the three best players in the top quarter of the bottom half of the draw.

Of the three, Mauresmo is the most interesting. She's in good form after winning the title in Canada last week.

Clijsters has been injured a bit this year and she didn't have a good French Open or Wimbledon. But she's one of those players who, if she does hit her stride or gains confidence, could get past Capriati, who isn't playing well.

Capriati is in something of a slump. She hasn't won a tournament since the Australian Open. She needs to get back on the winning side of things. She has never won the U.S. Open, and hopefully for her sake she'll get fired up for it. "

for the full text, see http://espn.go.com/tennis/usopen02/s/2002/0823/1422054.html

Lleykimmy1
Aug 25th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Hi everybody !

I'm sure that Kim and Lleyton are going to play very well at the US Open !!!!!

Does somebody know if they sleep in a hotel or in a house like in Wimbledon with both families ??!!??

;)

Bigkimfan
Aug 25th, 2002, 02:13 PM
They are staying in the center of New York!!
I got a guided walking tour at Flushing Meadow and they said that, I forgot the name of the hotels.

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Stefke
Aug 25th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Does anyone know when and on what channel they televise the USO-matches?:confused:

Elleke
Aug 26th, 2002, 07:37 AM
you come from Belgium he?
on canvas or vrt if it is between 17.00H and 24.00H and if the court has cameras... so today they show justine @ 17.00H
and on eurosport they show every day live ..

KaseyL
Aug 26th, 2002, 12:18 PM
I just realised that this post didn't get through due to problems with this board recently... :mad:

Here is what Wertheim wrote in CNN sports re Kim's chances at the US Open: I put it down in the category of :rolleyes: awards, geez...

"7. Kim Clijsters: If she's around past the quarters, it will be only as a Lleyton supporter. Another bad loss -- of which there have been puzzlingly many this year -- and it might be time for shoulder surgery. Eleni Daniilidou could give her fits in Round 3."

pfff @ Wertheim :fiery:

(full see http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/jon_wertheim/news/2002/08/22/usopen_women/)

KaseyL
Aug 26th, 2002, 12:41 PM
and on ESPN, it looks like Kim doesn't exist to Pat McEnroe :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

here's the link to his analysis: :rolleyes:
http://espn.go.com/tennis/usopen02/s/2002/0823/1422151.html

Maybe someone can inform Kim she doesn't need to bother starting in the first place, and better sit in the stands to cheer for Lleyton only, geeez... reading Wertheim and the likes of him.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

katie124
Aug 26th, 2002, 03:17 PM
I read this morning an interview with Marc Dehous, KIms new coach in the local newspaper.
He's 36 years old and not married. For him it's an advantage -he says- because he doesn't have to worry about his family (wife or children) when he's travelling.
He was very flattered when Kims' father asked him to be her
new coach.
He already knew the Clijsters family before because he has
worked with Elke Clijsters and twice with KIm when Carl Maes'
wife had to give birth to their children.

Stefke
Aug 26th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Thanks korn:kiss:
Oh a Club Brugge-fan!!!!!:D

KaseyL
Aug 26th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Thanks Katie124!

KaseyL
Aug 26th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Here is what Bob Larson said about Kim re the US Open and about the rankings at stake at the US Open:

Women's Look Forward: The U. S. Open

On the men's side, the U. S. Open is so wide-open as to be effectively beyond prediction. On the women's side, it's a completely different matter. There are three candidates to win: Serena Williams, Venus Williams, and None of the Above. And even though None of The Above represents sixty-three sixty-fourths of the draw, it's clearly at a disadvantage. We hate making predictions -- but on this court, the Sisters clearly have to be favored over all comers. The final has a good chance of being boringly predictable.

Still, as with the men, let's look at the candidates and try to guess who has the best of those slight chances.

7. Kim Clijsters
Why she might win it: Has the game, and likes hardcourts.
Why she might not: Has been injured for much of the year, and is in bad form. Did not do well in warmups. She didn't perform well in her one previous Slam final.

The Rankings

It's been a while. Since Wimbledon, in fact. The U. S. Open will mark the first time in two months that every ranking is in play.

Sort of, anyway. Serena Williams could lose the #1 ranking over the next two weeks -- but she'll have to work at it. With sister Venus having won New Haven, Serena's lead in the rankings is about 250 points. Venus has the U. S. Open title to defend; Serena, finalist points. That means that if Venus can defend her title, she might be able to pass Serena -- if Serena loses before the semifinal.

The situation is about the same further down. Venus has more than an 1100 point lead over Jennifer Capriati, but a lot of that is U. S. Open points. If, somehow, Venus loses early, Capriati might be able to get to #2 by reaching the final.

But Capriati has semifinalist points of her own. That puts her hundreds of points ahead of Jelena Dokic and Monica Seles, but they could possibly pass her; both have Round of Sixteen points to defend.

The other player who looks to be in trouble is Martina Hingis, with semifinalist points to defend and drawn to face Monica Seles in the Round of Sixteen and Venus Williams in quarterfinal. (It may be lucky for the WTA that Hingis isn't American; we know people who, in her situation, would be suing them over the injury rules.)

Although the order of players has changed a lot this year, the Top Ten has been almost constant for all of 2002. The current Top Ten -- Serena, Venus, Capriati, Dokic, Seles, Clijsters, Henin, Hingis, Mauresmo, Davenport -- has been the Top Ten list for the entire year, except for a short time when Sandrine Testud was #10. And that seems unlikely to change. Daniela Hantuchova, the #11 player, is 300 points behind Davenport (about 100 safe points), and Davenport has the better draw. Elena Dementieva, at #13 the next active player (Testud is still #12) is 800 points behind Davenport! That means that Hantuchova is the only player with a realistic chance to break into the Top Ten -- and even she has a long, long ways to go.

The lower-ranked player with the most on the line is Daja Bedanova, last year's surprise quarterfinalist (the other seven quarterfinalists were all "usual suspects": Hingis, Davenport, Serena, Clijsters, Venus, Mauresmo, Capriati). Bedanova faces a real possibility of falling out of the Top Thirty.

katie124
Aug 26th, 2002, 08:57 PM
You're welcome KaseyL ! I hope she has a great result
tomorrow.

malieboe
Aug 26th, 2002, 11:37 PM
Does anyone know where you can see the USO except on Canvas, because I like to see some others too. It has to be a channel which is on normal cable. Here, we don't have Eurosport (anymore).

Come-on-kim
Aug 27th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Why did Henin/Shaughnessy split up?

Why Clijsters/Dokic split up?

Because now we have :

Clijsters/Shaughnessy
Dokic/Daniilidou
Henin/Martinez Granados (or something like that, well, Justine is partnering with Kim's 1st Round opponent!!!)

Why all these changements?:confused: :confused:

KaseyL
Aug 27th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Kim won 6-1, 6-0! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Match stats:

Match Summary
Clijsters(BEL)
1st Serve % 33 of 43 = 77 %

Aces 3

Double Faults 0

Unforced Errors 23

Winning % 1st Serve 24 of 33 = 73 %

Winning % 2nd Serve 7 of 10 = 70 %

Winners (Including Service) 39

Break Pt Conversions 5 of 17 = 29 %

Net Approaches 14 of 16 = 88 %

Total Points Won 64

Fastest Serve 109 MPH

Average 1st Serve Speed 96 MPH

Average 2nd Serve Speed 82 MPH

Stats Martinez Granados(ESP)

1st Serve % 43 of 58 = 74 %

Aces 1

Double Faults 0

Unforced Errors 18

Winning % on 1st Serve 19 of 43 = 44 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve 6 of 15 = 40 %

Winners (Including Service) 8

Break Point Conversions 0 of 3 = 0 %

Net Approaches 0 of 1 = 0 %

Total Points Won 37

Fastest Serve 96 MPH

Average 1st Serve Speed 88 MPH

Average 2nd Serve Speed 73 MPH

Elleke
Aug 27th, 2002, 04:24 PM
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_0827_002.jpg
Kim Clijsters of Belgium had the first match of the day on Grandstand against Conchita Martinez-Granados of Spain, and it was no problem for the seventh seed. In just 42 minutes she won 6-1, 6-0 and moved into the second round with ease.

jenglisbe
Aug 27th, 2002, 04:30 PM
She had lots of winners and a great serve percentage and speed :) I hope like heck she can keep this level of play up!!

sanstamtam
Aug 27th, 2002, 04:31 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Kim won
I'm really happy for yer
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

jujufan
Aug 27th, 2002, 04:40 PM
That's the way we oh we like it!!!!!!!

gokimmie
Aug 27th, 2002, 05:08 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

*lost for words*

Lleyki
Aug 27th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Congrats Kimmie !!!

You played great :bounce:

I like her new outfit :D

Hawk
Aug 27th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Easy day at the office for Kim :)

As long as she keeps those unforced errors in check I think she'll have a good run!

budgirlbz
Aug 27th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Way to go!!!

Good luck on the next rd!!!

Let's keep praying for her win!!!

:wavey:

budgirlbz
Aug 27th, 2002, 05:25 PM
wohooo!!!!!

any pics from game???

Hawk
Aug 27th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Here is another pic from today's match
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_0827_003.jpg

I like her new outfit too :)

Hermione
Aug 27th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Agree but the only thing that was worrying me today was her bp conversion rate, against the big players theyd take advantage cos it seemed like she had trouble converting the points

Lleykimmy1
Aug 27th, 2002, 06:31 PM
GREAT MATCH KIM, I'M SURE IF YOU CONTINUE TO PLAY THIS WAY,YOU'LL DO A GREAT RESULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ikke
Aug 27th, 2002, 06:51 PM
She played good imo!! She had some bps, but was never broken so!! The way she played made me happy:D

Goooooooo kimmy:bounce:

-Fienesse-
Aug 27th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Daniilidou is out!!! That means that Kim won't meat her in the third round, I think this is some great news!!!:bounce:

KaseyL
Aug 27th, 2002, 07:38 PM
All she needs now is to take enough confidence out of this match, and get into her groove by playing the first rounds, get match rhythm. She then will be prepared for the heavy guns waiting for her in round 4 and beyond.

btw in the US Open forum is a thread about Kim, at least three posters are mocking her fans somehow as we were happy about her win today.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=36552

Verve made this thread meant to be positive in the first place.

I've posted the following:

"It was great to see her like we know her!

Just for the record, our comments have nothing to do with the player she was facing. Kim showed today that she is on the right track again, her injury isn't hampering her too much right now (touch wood).

btw Conchita was doing her best, I wouldn't like to belittle her just because she isn't a top 50 player... That isn't fair on this Spanish player, she was no match for Kim today but did put up a fight. It isn't reflected in the scores, but anyone who actually saw the match, can admit that. "

KaseyL
Aug 27th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Yes, so glad that Kim won't face Daniilidou in the third round.

KaseyL
Aug 27th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Here is an article from the BBC re Kim's win today:

August 27, 2002

Clijsters storms to victory

Clijsters was an easy winner at Flushing Meadows
Seventh-seeded Kim Clijsters lost just one game as she booked her place in the second round of the US Open.
The Belgian defeated Conchita Martinez Granados of Spain 6-1 6-0 in just 42 minutes.

The win was a welcome boost for Clijsters, who has been struggling with shoulder problems for much of the year.
Clijsters, who has won one title so far this season, reached the quarter-finals at Flushing Meadows last year.

KaseyL
Aug 27th, 2002, 07:49 PM
And a second article, from the US Open website itself:

August 27, 2002

No. 7 Seed Kim Clijsters Moves on to Second Round in No Time

by Laura Andriani

No. 7 seed Kim Clijsters wasted no time in advancing to the second round of the US Open Tuesday morning. Playing in the Grandstand court beside Louis Armstrong Stadium, Clijsters needed just 42 minutes to defeat Spain's Conchita Martinez Granados in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0.

Granados, a qualifier hailing from Barcelona, seemed weak compared to the Belgian, who is making her fourth US Open appearance this year. While Clijsters may not have been at the top of her game on Tuesday with 15 unforced errors in the first set, she did manage to hit 17 winners as compared to Granados' 5. Along with a consistent serve -- her fastest clocking at 108 mph -- Clijsters kept Granados on her toes, forcing her wide into the alleys and then returning her defensive lobs on the rise.

Granados could not hold serve in the second set, managing only three winners, and in 20 minutes was trailing Clijsters, 0-5. Struggling with multiple foot faults, Granados maintained little confidence or momentum throughout the match and made only one attempt to approach the net. Clijsters took the second set, 6-0, and advances to the second round, where she will meet either American Mashona Washington or Spain's Gala Leon Garcia.

arn
Aug 27th, 2002, 09:35 PM
She said (it's on teletext) she enjoys playing tennis again and now the results will follow. Sh's looking forward working with people again (her new coach and kine)

Come-on-kim
Aug 27th, 2002, 10:01 PM
CONGRATS KIMMEKE :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Aug 27th, 2002, 10:03 PM
CONGRATS KIM

KEEP IT UP FOR THE NEXT ROUNDS!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Aug 27th, 2002, 10:22 PM
And here's an interview after kim's 1st round match

imo good for the :rolleyes: category too...

we are talking a top player here, and all they can ask is about Lleyton! :fiery: Just trying to get something out of Kim, but then, they are at the wrong address; :D
Kim is a bit too good in interview handling!

"Kim Clijsters post match interview

K. CLIJSTERS/C. Martinez Granados
MODERATOR: Questions for Kim.

Q. Regarding Lleyton, he has a bit of an image problem in America.
MODERATOR: Any questions about the match?

Q. Do you feel it's a little unfair how Lleyton has been treated with the fine, just in general? Is he a nice guy?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I know he's a nice guy. You have to see it both ways. I think what the ATP did wasn't fair either, so you have to know the both sides of the story. I know if the WTA would come up to me and tell me, you know, a few hours before my match that I had to do a half an hour interview, I wouldn't be happy either.
You have to know both sides of the story before you ask any silly questions, I think. (ROFL Kim!:kiss: )

Q. Why do you think people have a bad perception about him? Why do you think Lleyton seems maybe a little guarded with the press?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't know. You know, I don't think that's a question you have to ask me because I don't feel that way about him. Maybe you have to ask some people in the crowd or something, not me.

Aug 28th, 2002, 12:18 AM
It looks like the new coach was a good choice for Kim. Hopefully she can continue to improve throughout the tournament

Aug 28th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Poor Kim. They can find decent questions for qualifiers, so why not for a top 10 player. If they want to know about Lleyton, they can ask him!

Elleke
Aug 28th, 2002, 07:34 AM
WELL DONE! good luck in doubles today :bounce::bounce:

Lleyki
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Well said Kim :bounce:

:rolleyes: @ the media

KaseyL
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:18 AM
I've been 'harvesting' some articles :).

Here we go:

Source: Reuters, August 28, 2002

Clijsters unfazed by sporting fame

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Kim Clijsters is enjoying life in the tennis spotlight but sporting success is no stranger to her family.
Before the 19-year-old there was her father Leo, who was crowned Belgium's Footballer of the Year in 1988. His experience of life in the public eye has been invaluable to Kim as she tries to cope with her own high profile.

"He's been probably the main person in my career," said Kim after taking just 42 minutes to blitz Spain's Conchita Martinez Granados 6-1 6-0 in the first round of the U.S. Open.
"He's been through the same things and learned from his mistakes, and he's been telling me the mistakes he did then. I think that's an advantage for me, to have a dad like that."

Although she was a small child at the time, she remembers what it was like to have a famous father. "I knew that he was playing soccer and every Saturday I went to the match," she said. "I remember that I had to go to sleep at lunchtime because it was going to be late. Yeah, those are small things I remember. We've got a lot of videotapes and I remember things from those. It was good fun.”

FEEL SORRY

"I remember people asking for autographs. Sometimes now when we go out to dinner people come and ask an autograph of me. But they sort of feel sorry for him, so they ask him for an autograph as well!"
Kim's father was so good at what he did that he was invited to meet the King. She then followed in his footsteps after reaching the final of the 2001 French Open.

"It was a bit weird because you don't know what to expect," she said. "But he was a very, very nice person. You expect him to be stiff but he started talking about his Harley Davidson motorcycle."

The word went round Roland Garros earlier this year that she and world number one Lleyton Hewitt had gone to the Eiffel Tower and become engaged.

"It wasn't true," she said. "I've never even been to the Eiffel Tower. I just had a laugh at it. It was actually funny because it was on my birthday and lots of people were coming up to congratulate me. I thought it was for my birthday, but they were congratulating me because they thought we were engaged."

Just part of the price of fame. Something her dad might have warned her about.

KaseyL
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:31 AM
and on her first round match yesterday below. This is a must read too! ;)

Note: more interview in here than in that interview that's up at the US Open website

I've made a compilation and translation of two articles in the Belgian press. Some of these quotes were also on public radio in Flanders this morning during the VRT radio interview with Kim. Kim sounded really confident, talking fast like a train as usual LOL.

Enjoy!

Kim Clijsters now is Team Clijsters, thanks to coach De Hous and physio Coppens.

,,At last time for tennis''

August 28, 2002

(compiled and translated by Ingrid)

NEW YORK – “You are right: I am more focused and motivated than during Wimbledon. At that time I was continuously busy with organising everything by myself, now I have a team. The biggest advantage is that I have time again. Time for tennis”, says Kim Clijsters. Thanks to Marc De Hous and Evelyne Coppens, respectively the coach and physiotherapist of Team Clijsters.

The first victim was Martinez Granados yesterday, the second one has to become wildcard Mashona Washington (WTA 116). And who knows how many will follow. Because: “Venus and Serena aren’t unbeatable.”

Only someone who doesn’t pay attention, might take Conchita Martinez Granados (WTA 100) for ex-Wimbledon champion Conchita Martinez. The opponent of Kim Clijsters was the Conchita Martinez with the second surname. That plays quite a lot easier, certainly as Kim Clijsters plays faultlessly and at high speed. The job was done in merely 50 minutes: 12 games against 1.

“I am satisfied with the level that I reached”, analysed Kim correctly. “For my first match after my loss to Barbara Schett in Montréal, I am satisfied,” said Kim during her press conference two hours after her match.

Like the Capriati’s or the Williamses of this world, Kim also now has a team around her. She experiences now that time indeed is money. "Until Evelyne joined, I sometimes had to wait for like 3 to 4 hours after my match to get a massage. Or I had to come over here at days without play just to get one. Precious time. Marc also has helped me well already. My team makes it simply so much easier to focus on tennis. I’m feeling very good, yes. The collaboration with my coach and physio is perfect. I have nothing else to do than concentrate on my tennis. That is a huge advantage. Evelyne even has become a friend. We have already been shopping together...” :)

Williams is beatable

Motivation, organisation, that schoulder injury... It went crescendo for Kim since Wimbledon. But the number one position is still no topic for discussion.

”Simply because I don’t think in terms of rankings. And no, not because I would consider the Williams sisters as unbeatable. On the contrary, I like to play against them, rather than a match like the one today. Venus and Serena Williams give opportunities away too, it is to people like Justine Henin and me to grab them. My first duel with Venus was last year, here at the US Open, and I lost 6-3, 6-2. In Hamburg however I beat her in the final this year. I know that it is possible.

I am a player who needs a lot of matches to be performing well. This season it is hard to face that I had to restrain myself a lot because of my shoulder. But okay, I am not the only one. Lindsay Davenport and Martina Hingis know how it’s like too. Said that, I feel a real improvement since Wimbledon.This year is difficult, but there will be other opportunities. That’s the charm of tennis. My ambition is trying to get the maximum out of my career. To become world number one one day isn‘t my obsession. I have been number three and if I have to remain there, it will be very good too.”

END

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Kim is back on track! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

(sources: Belgian newspapers De Standaard and la Libre Belgique, VRT Radio News, August 28, 2002)

ikke
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Thanks Ingrid!!!

Brαm
Aug 28th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Thanks!!

It's so great to hear a positive Kim in the interviews :D She seems to have found her amazing fighting spirit back!

Let's hope she'll do well and reach at least the 4th round :bounce:

(Ok, I hope she'll win it, but one should be realistic ;))

Come-on-kim
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:57 PM
In "La dernière heure", they said that Kim and Lleyton visited "Ground Zero" last week with Lleyton's parents, Marc and Evelyne. A police man, fan of tennis, recognize Lleyton and explain to them all the things,...

Kim said also that Evelyne is helpful to her because if Kim's wanted to have a message yesterday, she would have had to wait until 8 pm and with Evelyne, it was quickly done!!

Here a picture from Belga (dhnet.be)

http://www.dhnet.be/pictures_news/art_13222.jpg
BTW, in today's Dernière Heure, there has been another picture which was better but I can't find it!!

Bigkimfan
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Good luck against washington !!!

:bounce: :bounce: C'mon Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:02 AM
They aren't broadcasting Kim's match on La2 and on Canvas!!!

What am I going to do???

KaseyL
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Thanks! :kiss:

I've also forgotten to tell that Kim said in her interview for the Flemish news that she finally is enjoying herself on and off-court again!

KaseyL
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Here are the picks of Bolletieri and Matt Cronin for Kim today:

KIM CLIJSTERS VS. MASHONA WASHINGTON (U.S.)

Predictions by Matt Cronin:

Mal's little sister hits the big stage for the first time, but she' s no rookie at age 26. Mashona has spent the last eight years struggling on the Satellite and Challenger level and hasn't' convinced anyone that she belongs on the elite stage. Still, give her credit for hanging in there and continually trying to qualify for big event. She did score a nice win over Clarissa Fernandez last week, so maybe she'll zone in on Clijsters and push the athletic Belgian. But there is no indication that she has the weapons to hang with Kim, one of the few players with the tools to challenge the Williams sisters. Clijsters has not had a standout year at the Slams and needs to prove herself here. Since her boyfriend, Lleyton Hewitt, already won U.S. Open title, there's no reason for Kim to sit idly by cheering on her mate. Some believe that she is content to do so. (:rolleyes: ) I don't, :) ) but it's time for her to step up and be counted once again. Clijsters in straight sets.

Predictions by Nick Bollettieri:

Mashona plays like a Washington, she fights, has a good serve, hits a hard flat ball and moves extremely well. Kim is fully aware of players that have athletic ability; she moves and grooves all over the court.
Nick's Pick: Clijsters in straight sets, she has more firepower and experience

Go Kim!!!

KaseyL
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Sorry, but I think there's a mistake. Don't despair!

La Deux is going to broadcast Kim's match LIVE tonight, and Xavier's too btw, if I may believe them.

Canvas isn't doing Kim's, but will do Xavier's live tonight.

Bigkimfan
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:23 AM
They always broadcast her match, they just don't show it on teletext because they don't know how late her match is going to begin!!!

KaseyL
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Right Bigkimfan, Canvas should broadcast Kim's match live too, although it isn't 100% certain today, while Xavier is def. going to be shown live...

Let's hope they will!

KaseyL
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:42 AM
And oops :o forgotten...

Kim won the doubles yesterday too!

Bigkimfan
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:45 AM
On the tv1-news they said that they would broadcast her match live, they think it would be around 6.30pm-7.00pm!!!

keta
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:46 AM
GOOOD LCUK KIMMY!!

:bounce: :bounce: For the doubles!! :kiss:

Thankz for all the articles Ingrid!!

KaseyL
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:47 AM
*relief* wow, that's good! Thanks, bigkimfan!

Bigkimfan
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:58 AM
No problem...:)

arn
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Yep, they broadcast both :) :) :)

Lots of tennis!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Sarah
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:45 PM
*desperately needing Eurosport and angry @ those people who took Eurosport away from me*

Come-on-kim
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:38 PM
OK, now, they wrote they'll broadcast it!!!!

But when???

Kim plays second and on the US Open website that they'll only begin to play at 2 pm!!!! So, 8 pm in Belgium. If Lleyton's match last 2 hours adding 1 hour of rain delay, she'll probably play at 11 pm :eek: because they said on eurosport that it'll rain almost all day!!!:eek: :eek:

Mitzi
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Which matches will eurosport show after the rain delay? I only saw that they planned to show Jennifer Capriati's match :confused:

Mitzi
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Now the US Open web site says that play won't begin before 3 PM New York Time... That's 10 PM for me. pfffff

Come-on-kim
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Kim's match has been moved to court 11!!

She'll play after Marcelo's rios match!!!

So, I think we won't see any tennis today in Belgium!!

KaseyL
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:16 PM
I don't know about Kim, is there a TV cam on that court?
If so, they might show it on Canvas live.

Actually La Deux is broadcasting Lleyton, for those who want to watch him!

I'm off to cheer on Lleyton! :)

Bigkimfan
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:18 PM
That's bad news!!!
So Kim's match isn't gonna be on Canvas??????

KaseyL
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:20 PM
not sure that canvas is going to bring Kim live, doesn't mean they won't. let's pray!

Bigkimfan
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Untill how late can they play at the us open?

Cilla
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:34 AM
Kim wins :bounce: 6-1, 7-6 Contrasting score though :o She made 20 (I think UE's in the 2nd set alone :eek: ) But @ least she's through..Phew! WELL DONE KIMMIE! :D

Aug 30th, 2002, 04:43 AM
...at least you didn't stay up all night and get to see nothing but rain delays (11AM New York time is 1AM Melbourne time)

~|Naomi|~
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Here is an article about how Kim spent the time waiting for the rain to stop:

Notebook (cnnsi)

Players trying to pass time on a rainy day
Posted: Thursday August 29, 2002 4:11 PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Kim Clijsters spent much of her spare time on a rainy Thursday playing video tennis in the player's lounge at the U.S. Open.

Clijsters, scheduled to play a second-round match with Mashona Washington, concentrated on the game with boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt, the defending champion and No. 1 seed, offering advice.

But Clijsters wasn't playing singles on the video, engaged instead in a high-pressure doubles match.

At the Open, Clijsters is seeded No. 7 in the singles draw and No. 15 in the doubles field, where her partner is Meghan Shaughnessy.

All doubles matches on Thursday were postponed by rain.

~|Naomi|~
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:43 AM
The attachment is of a photo of the players lounge from I can see shen I enlarged it I think that on the right hand side of the pic looking at a tv screen is Kim (in the orange hat) and Hayden is to her left and I think on the right is her new coach cause he looks skinny and in the photo I saw of him he was kinda skinny.

KaseyL
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the pic! :kiss:

Hayden is def. standing there watching Kim, but it must be Lleyton next to her, as he was on that videogame with Kim.

It was reported on Flemish public TV last night that Kim and Lleyton spent their time waiting in the lounge mainly by playing that tennis video game Kim launched herself into.

spiritfullfrog
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:02 AM
KIM WON 6-1 7-6
there's a couple of realli good pics of the game but i don't kno how to put them up so i can't :confused: :confused:
GREAT GAME KIM
and i can't find any articles on her game so far!
its so unfair how they concentrate mainly on the williams, capriati, seles, davenport and hingis
:mad: :mad: :mad:
good luck for your next game!

KaseyL
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:10 AM
WARNING: very, very NASTY article re Kim, comes from none other than the New York Post, August 28.

I'd say the guy who calls himself a journalist is no less than a jerk himself. :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: Judge for yourself, see article below.

Special thanks to Marie for digging up this article for me so quickly, and a sincere thanks to Marie from Belgium for sending me the article in Belgian newspaper La Dernière Heure referring to the NY Post scandalous article. Thanks :kiss:

Here's the original so-called article :fiery:

BAD NEWS BREWS AS HEINEKEN HIJACKS MCENROE
New York Post; New York; Aug 28, 2002; BRAD HUNTER;

DC_ABS
Reporters covering the U.S. Open were given handouts from the giant brewery inviting them to an event featuring John McEnroe as part of a promotion for his charity.

The world's No. 1 men's tennis player, Lleyton Hewitt, and his Belgian beauty, Kim Clijsters (the seventh-ranked woman), seem made for each other.

When a Post reporter and a dozen Belgian journalists interviewed Clijsters following her win yesterday, she seemed like a jerk, too, when asked about her beau's bad-boy image.

END "article"

:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

(btw, Marly is going to write to the editor of that newspaper, to give them a piece of her mind. Go Marly!)

Then this is the article in French in Belgian paper La Dernière Heure, courtesy of Marie from Belgium:

Les Américains ont une manière assez amusante de s'exprimer
au sujet du temps qui baigne leur pays."le soleil est de
sortie mais les nuages sont ds son chemin."Les Américains
cela dit peuvent également utiliser un language bien plus
châtié lorsqu'ils s'adressent à des personnes .Un
journaliste du quotidien populaire "NEW YORK Post" a ainsi
traité KIM CLIJSTERS d'imbécile s un article paru mercredi
matin.L'homme justifie ses propos par le fait qu'il trouve
ridicule la manière dont elle prit la défense de son petit
ami LLEYTON HEWITT après l'amende de 103.000 dollars qui
lui fit infligé à Cincinnati pr avoir refusé une interview
avant de monter sur un court.L'australien traine peut-être
derrière lui une réputation de bad boy depuis son incident
ici même l'an dernier ds son match contre james blake ,mais
ce n'est vraiment pas une raison pour mettre sa petite amie
ds le meme sac. C'est le genre de raccourci...tout aussi
imbécile qu'il faut se garder de commettre...

Quite right, I'd say. They conclude their comments by saying that this sort of text is so imbicile as well that you better don't react.

ikke
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:56 AM
pfffffft at that artical:fiery:
I start hating the media more and more!!!!
I really want to read what kim said!!

Come-on-kim
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by KaseyL
Thanks for the pic! :kiss:

Hayden is def. standing there watching Kim, but it must be Lleyton next to her, as he was on that videogame with Kim.

It was reported on Flemish public TV last night that Kim and Lleyton spent their time waiting in the lounge mainly by playing that tennis video game Kim launched herself into.

What do you mean??? by "Kim launched herself into??" Does it mean that she has her own video game like Kournikova? or thinkg like that?

BTW, Babsi told me that Kim was reading "Nanny Diaries" I think, and she told it was a great book and that Lleyton was shy.

Bigkimfan
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:56 AM
I think Kim lost her concentration because Washington was really playing bad in the 1st set.

KaseyL
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Nothing of the sort. It was reported by Flemish public TV network that she had been locked with Lleyton in this tennis video game for some hours. Was some sort of tough competition, I understood. :)

KaseyL
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:30 AM
About Kim's match: haven't found any reports yet, only some articles in Belgian press.

here's a highlight of what we will put up on Clijsters City:

(own text)

Kim advanced into the third round of the US open by beating Mashona Washington (USA) 6-1, 7-6 (7-1) on Thursday.
Kim will face the Russian Vera Zvonareva in the third round (WTA 57).

Kim Clijsters cruised through the first set, but making far more UE’s in the second set (28 in the whole match) as she dropped her level of concentration, she was forced to step up things in the last part of the second set to conclure the matter in the tie-break. A specialty she perfectly mastered to finish-off the match in 1 hour and 7 minutes.

In a post-match interview on Flemish public Radio 1 she explained that all went well, and that she only has to regret a lack of concentration in the second set. She blamed the long waiting hours due to the rain delays for this lack of concentration. She added that she only had been able to be a bit in the gym before the match, and wasn’t really warmed-up when the match finally started.

ikke
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by KaseyL
Nothing of the sort. It was reported by Flemish public TV network that she had been locked with Lleyton in this tennis video game for some hours. Was some sort of tough competition, I understood. :)

I've read that they played doubles together or something like that and it was a though match:D

Mitzi
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:19 PM
I finally did get to see Lleyton's match, not Kim's, from 5-6 in the first set, at something like 1 AM Israel time.

Cilla
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Clijsters unfazed by sporting fame

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Kim Clijsters is enjoying life in the tennis spotlight but sporting success is no stranger to her family.

Before the 19-year-old there was her father Leo, who was crowned Belgium's Footballer of the Year in 1988. His experience of life in the public eye has been invaluable to Kim as she tries to cope with her own high profile.

"He's been probably the main person in my career," said Kim after taking just 42 minutes to blitz Spain's Conchita Martinez Granados 6-1 6-0 in the first round of the U.S. Open.

"He's been through the same things and learned from his mistakes, and he's been telling me the mistakes he did then. I think that's an advantage for me, to have a dad like that."

Although she was a small child at the time, she remembers what it was like to have a famous father.

"I knew that he was playing soccer and every Saturday I went to the match," she said. "I remember that I had to go to sleep at lunchtime because it was going to be late.

"Yeah, those are small things I remember. We've got a lot of videotapes and I remember things from those. It was good fun.

FEEL SORRY

"I remember people asking for autographs. Sometimes now when we go out to dinner people come and ask an autograph of me. But they sort of feel sorry for him, so they ask him for an autograph as well!"

Kim's father was so good at what he did that he was invited to meet the King. She then followed in his footsteps after reaching the final of the 2001 French Open.

"It was a bit weird because you don't know what to expect," she said. "But he was a very, very nice person. You expect him to be stiff but he started talking about his Harley Davidson motorcycle."

The word went round Roland Garros earlier this year that she and world number one Lleyton Hewitt had gone to the Eiffel Tower and become engaged.

"It wasn't true," she said. "I've never even been to the Eiffel Tower. I just had a laugh at it.

"It was actually funny because it was on my birthday and lots of people were coming up to congratulate me. I thought it was for my birthday, but they were congratulating me because they thought we were engaged."

Just part of the price of fame. Something her dad might have warned her about.

KaseyL
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:15 AM
You all read that Kim has been playing a tennis video game with Lleyton in the players' lounge, when they were waiting there for hours.

Kim said the following in an interview with Belgian journalists what hasn't been posted here yet:

She has been playing CARDS too, not with Lleyton :D but with her physio Evelyne, in the players' restaurant when she went there after she'd been warming up on court for only 15 minutes around 4 PM. The court was too wet. They have been playing that many card games that Kim was still seeing the cards :D when she was playing Washington.

So next time Kim, don't overdo it with cards! :o

Bigkimfan
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:44 AM
Kim plays at 11am!!! That means that canvas is going to broadcast it live, I hope it isn't going to rain...

~|Naomi|~
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:11 PM
Kimmie won 1-6 7-5 6-4:bounce: :bounce:

Kim showed that famous fighting spirit again, she played very good in the third set and late in the second

Well done Kimmie Good luck against Mauresmo (if it is her) in the fourth round

Kimmie:angel:

arn
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:13 PM
Kim showed her fighting spirit again!!!! She kept fighting and lifting her game in the second set!

Congrats Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Also congrats to Vera for setting up a great match!

gertvdh
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:15 PM
yeah really a close won, but Kim is a fighter...

gokimmie
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:16 PM
OMGOMGOMGOMG:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
what a match!congrats kimmie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and vera to of course!
i have a splitting headache from yelling en singing to loud lol,and i am totally beat ,but it was worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!

arn
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:29 PM
lol, and you still need to sheer on Xavier too ;) ;)

After the first set I send my father out of the room (again :o ) (supersticious me :o )

Lleyki
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:55 PM
Congrats kim :bounce:

WOW that was a great match for both kim and Vera !

Btw thx arne for sending your dad out ;)

Lleyki
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:56 PM
what a match :eek:

Congrats Kimmie :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:09 PM
That was a close one, but she won the match!!!
Congrats Kim and good luck in your next match!!!

Come-on-kim
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:45 PM
CONGRATS KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a match!!!!!

Please, do your best against Mauresmo!!!

Come-on-kim
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:50 PM
Congrats Kim!!!!

I'm so happy, I can't speak anymore!!!!

I cheered to much, my parents where asking themselves, but what is he doing??

I cheered a lot!!!! "COME ON KIM" "KEEP CONCENTRATE" "Keep the ball within the line"

And I was "speaking" with the umpire when Kim's ball were "out" and I really though they were "in".

And also, I pump my fists,...

Was I on court??? No, it wasn't me but it was "as if"

I don't think I'm the only one LOL

arn
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:51 PM
My dad is starting to get used to it :o Everytime Kim plays he starts to know I don't want him around :o

spiritfullfrog
Aug 31st, 2002, 10:26 PM
here's a transcript of her interview after her great 3rd round match!!!!!!
she won!!!!!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Kim Clijsters

K. CLIJSTERS/V. Zvonareva
MODERATOR: Questions for Kim.

Q. Could you tell us how you feel you did today in the match?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I didn't start very well. I was struggling a little bit with my movement, I think, getting used to the ball. The wind was moving the ball around a little bit. I think I wasn't positioning very well in the first set. With my serve, my ball toss wasn't the same all the time. I was struggling a little bit.
In the second set, I sort of kept fighting, keep staying on serve, seeing when I had the chance to break her. At 4-All we had a long game, and I broke. That's when I sort of got a little bit more, you know, like positive in myself. I got a little positive. Although I lost that game, I felt I could break her. I was playing better, feeling my rhythm again.
Third set I came up two breaks. I lost one, but I still kept fighting. I started making less unforced errors. It was definitely a good thing.

Q. How good is she? Do you think she has Top 10 potential?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I think so. She's still young. I think she definitely can improve a few things. I think she's definitely, you know, capable of getting there. I've seen a few matches of her. She also beat Nagyova in the second round pretty easily. She's a pretty tough opponent, as well. Like I said to the Belgians, in Paris I think she played three sets against Serena.
I think she's definitely capable of being in the Top 15; it's just a matter of when and how long it's going to take her.

Q. It's one thing to see someone and another to play them. Were you surprised by her level in the first set?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, no, because I knew -- I've seen her play before, so I knew she's a tough opponent. You know, it's like she places her balls really deep, places the ball well. I knew I had to be aggressive and that I had to sort of, you know, stay in charge of the points. In the beginning, I didn't. That's sort of where I struggled in the beginning, why I lost the first set, because I was letting her dominate the points.

Q. What do you think about playing Mauresmo?
KIM CLIJSTERS: She's definitely very motivated. That's what I would feel if I would have the results she's had in the last few weeks. She beat Jennifer last week in Montreal, had some good wins there. She's definitely playing well. But, you know, I'm really looking forward to play her.

(Note: this is a partial transcript)

here is a photo

Kim Clijsters of Belgium celebrates her win over Vera Zvonareva of Russia during their match at the U.S. Open in Flushing, New York, August 31, 2002. Clijsters won 1-6, 7-5, 6-4. (Jeff Christensen/Reuters)

Hawk
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:53 AM
k this is slightly off topic..but does anyone else find it annoying that Kim (being the 7th seed) in her 3 matches so far has been on the grandstand twice and on court 11! I mean even Justine being the 8th seed had a match on Ashe. It really sucks cause I have to watch the american coverage so in her 3 matches the only thing they've shown of Kim is Washington double faulting on match point. I protest! lol :(

angele87
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Hawk
k this is slightly off topic..but does anyone else find it annoying that Kim (being the 7th seed) in her 3 matches so far has been on the grandstand twice and on court 11! I mean even Justine being the 8th seed had a match on Ashe. It really sucks cause I have to watch the american coverage so in her 3 matches the only thing they've shown of Kim is Washington double faulting on match point. I protest! lol :(

:mad: :mad: It doesn't make any sense! Kim vs. Momo better get some tv coverage and a good court :fiery:

Sep 1st, 2002, 09:10 AM
It looks like Kim woke up just in time :)
The match was only broadcast here from halfway through the 2nd set. What was the first set like? Was Vera playing well or Kim playing badly...or a bit of both?

Sep 1st, 2002, 09:13 AM
It's definately going to be the most interesting of the 4th round matches

ikke
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:26 AM
Congrats kimmy:bounce:
It was difficult match and matches like that aren't good for my heart! I was really nervous!!!!

arn
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:34 PM
I would say Kim playing bad; 35%; Vera playing good 65%

Even Kim on her best would have given a very close first set.

Bigkimfan
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:53 PM
I hope she plays better against Mauresmo because otherwise she is going to have a very tough match!!!

Lleykimmy1
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:12 PM
Go Kimmy !!!

I'm sure that you can win against Amelie !!
I believe in you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GO KIM GO LLEYTON AND GO ELKE !!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:07 PM
The website has been updated.

plse check out the latest articles and interviews there, including Belgian press interview!

Hawk
Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:41 AM
Anyone know Kim's head to head with Amelie?

Hawk
Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:44 AM
Kim's match with Amelie is scheduled to be the 3rd match on.... surprise, surprise :rolleyes: the grandstand yet again.

Her doubles match is the 5th match on the grandstand..so she doesn't have too much of a break in between. I'm just happy that her singles match is first..she can be tired for doubles instead :D

Come-on-kim
Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:54 AM
I think it's 1-1.

Amelia won Bratislava final in 1999

And Kim won the next match but I thinki Amelie retired

Primula
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:42 AM
I don't think it's a bad thing that Kim has to play on the "smaller" courts. I mean there's less pressure than on for example Arthur Ashe!
She has the to grow in the tournament, and whan she reaches te quarters, she will have to play on artut Ashe, against Jennifer!! So I don' think it's a bad thing to play on the Grandstand!

Come on Kim, you can do it, you are able to defeat Mauresmo! I can feel it!!

spiritfullfrog
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:29 AM
Here is what Nick Bollettieri thinks will happen between Kim and Amelie in their 4th round game! (Its from the US Open website)

Kim Clijsters #7 vs Amelie Mauresmo #10
Amelie is so talented, I mean very talented in all areas of play except periods of breaking down mentally. Kim has been up and down this year but her movement and competitiveness has kept her in the top ten.
Nick's Pick: Mauresmo must control her emotions no matter what happens, Clijisters will not give up. Mauresmo in 3 sets

I don't think this is true at all! Even if it get's into 3 sets Kim's fighting spirit will win her the match!

Come on Kim, You can do it!

Bigkimfan
Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:39 PM
There is a rain delay!!!!!!
Does anybody know if the weather is gonna change in a few hours?????

Elleke
Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:44 PM
here on teletext they say that probably they only will start playing this evening late or on midnite belgian time..

Lleyki
Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:56 PM
Oh no !!! :(

I really want to see this match!!!

Bigkimfan
Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:42 PM
Her match has been rescheduled to the 2nd match at the Grandstand!!!
I hope the weather changes fast!!!

Come-on-kim
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:29 PM
Will they play?

Lleyki
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:41 PM
It's still raining :mad:

Kim_for_number_1
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:48 PM
they say rain's gonna stop around 6 o'clock, but... I don't think it will stop

Hawk
Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:01 PM
Unfortunatly Matt Cronin's pick is the same, Mauresmo in 3 sets..I say :p to him lol. C'mon Kim! Prove them wrong!

Come-on-kim
Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:12 PM
COME ON KIM

Hawk
Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:28 PM
Looks like the rain has finally stopped, they've moved Kim's match to court 10. Her match is the second one, following Kuerten's match.

budgirlbz
Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:14 AM
Game is starting!!!!

Good luck Kim!!!

spiritfullfrog
Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:20 AM
they have finally started playing and it is 1 all in the first set.
go kim!
i'm at school at the moment! ;)
good luck kim!
now it is kim's double break point against amelie's serve!
AND SHE JUST BROKE GO KIM!!!!!!

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:31 AM
momo is making a comeback!

Hawk
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:06 AM
Kim took the first set 6-4
They are on serve in the second 2-2

:bounce: GO KIM GO :bounce:

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:06 AM
Kim leading 6-4 2-2 after being 0-2 down in the second

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:13 AM
Kim had bp's in all 3 last service games of amelie but only converted 1 :(

cyberix
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:18 AM
the match is going on right now; kim has won the first set and they are on serve in the second. GO KIM:bounce: :bounce:

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:23 AM
Momo broke :(

3-5* :(

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:25 AM
40-0

and 3-6

Now take the last set Kim!

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:37 AM
Mauresmo breaks for a 1-2* lead :mad: :( :mad:

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:38 AM
At this moment it seems Matt and Nick have chosen well :(

6-4 3-6 1-2*

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:42 AM
2-2 :)

But Kim always has problems on her serve :( Her serve speed is lower as usual. I wonder why... I hope it's not because of her shoulder!

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:43 AM
2-3* :mad: :( :mad:

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:47 AM
it goes on....

3-3

Hopefully Kim will keep serve this time!

Hawk
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:48 AM
Please Kim I beg of you HOLD SERVE...

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:49 AM
looking at the stats; at this moment they are completely even at almost every aspect of the game

Hawk
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:51 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes! She Held..4-3

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:52 AM
that's a relief!

Now I hope she will break, that would be a great step towards winning this match! :)

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:58 AM
5 minutes without an update on the score!?! but nothing to see on the webcam except a playing mauresmo

Hawk
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:59 AM
Kim's up 5-4...Amelie serving

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:59 AM
Suddenly 5-4*

If Kim breaks now....

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:03 AM
5-all

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:05 AM
bp :( :( :(

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:06 AM
Now Kim HAS to break cos it's 5-6* with Amelie Mauresmo serving for the match

Hawk
Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:07 AM
Come on Kim!! Break back!!

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:07 AM
Stupid Matt and Nick :mad: :( :mad:

Amelie is serving for the match

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:10 AM
Kim lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:10 AM
it's over :( :( :(

arn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:13 AM
Kim is out of the USopen :( At least in singles :sad: :sad:

I didn't see the match. I hope someone saw it and give a report about Kim's play.

It seems to me Kim's serve was rather weak today.

Fastest Serve 96 MPH

Average 1st Serve Speed 88 MPH

Average 2nd Serve Speed 76 MPH

KaseyL
Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:54 AM
Better luck next time, Kim!

Proud that you have been fighting 'til the end!

KaseyL
Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by arn
I hope someone saw it and give a report about Kim's play.

For match report and latest news, including report about her interview with a Belgian radiostation: see the website! has been updated this morning!

Cilla
Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:55 PM
Marathon Match of the Evening - Mauresmo vs. Clijsters
by Laura Andriani
Monday, September 2, 2002

If ever there were a marathon match of the day, the one which took place on court ten Monday night would be it.

For almost two hours, Kim Clijsters and Amelie Mauresmo battled it out in a three set match. Clijsters and Mauresmo, equally strong and equally uncompromising in their style, stirred up lengthy rallies throughout the night, showcasing the skills that made them the No. 7 and No. 10 seeds, respectively.

The first set got off to a quick start, with Mauresmo hitting deep baseline strokes that Clijsters continuously whipped back. Though neither player made a point to approach the net, their baseline game was chock full of winners. Clijsters looked unstoppable as she kept Mauresmo on her toes, shuffling from side to side.
Mauresmo, however, struggled with her serve, a problem that would haunt her for the rest of the match. Making just 37% of her first serves, and hitting only six winners, Mauresmo lost the first set, 6-4.

During the changeover, the crowds grew larger, rowdier and more intrigued by the neck-and-neck play. Up one set and holding on to a consistent serve, Clijsters could afford to take more risks, going for winners early in the point. Mauresmo kept up, though, and controlled the pace of the game by stalling between points. This consequently slowed Clijster's momentum, and with the help of 12 winners and 18 net approaches (16 of them being successful), Mauresmo let Clijsters know that the match was nowhere near finished. She held her serve for four of five service games and took the second set 6-3.

The final set proved to be everything a final set should be. Jam-packed with dizzying rallies, bleacher-stomping fans and all the drama a New York tennis fan could hope for, the match's fate continued to be unpredictable. Both Clijsters and Mauresmo served under 60%, obviously worn out from the two previous sets.

Both women, however, refused to be beaten.

Tensions mounted as linecalls were debated, cell phone users were reprimanded, and fans were continually asked to "quiet down, please." Mauresmo took control of the net, concocting serve and volley combos that would bring her eleven winners. Clijsters plugged away from the baseline, skimming the net and hitting alley lines. Undoubtedly, both women played their best matches tonight.

With the final set tied at five games apiece, Mauresmo jockeyed herself into a 6-5 lead with topspin heavy groundstrokes that kept Clijsters behind the baseline. Clijsters seemed to break down mentally, and on match point, hit a passing shot wide to give Mauresmo the victory, 4-6, 6-3, 7-5.

"Playing at the net was the key for today's match," Mauresmo said later.

In response to her next match against No. 3 seed Jennifer Capriati, Mauresmo said, "She's on top of her game, and she's in front of her home crowd, but I know I can beat her."

KaseyL
Sep 4th, 2002, 11:53 AM
This is our text re Kim's post-US Open interviews with Belgian media on September 3. This and even more will be put up at Clijsters City ASAP. Don't forget to check it out! :)

‘Kim is thinking of next year’
‘This was the best Kim Clijsters’, says Kim.

edited and translated by Ingrid

NY, Sept. 3, 2002

Kim played great tennis in the fourth round of the US Open, but not enough to overcome Amélie Mauresmo in the third set, result: 6-4, 3-6, 5-7. Nevertheless, this was Kim’s best Grand Slam since the Australian Open. The future is looking bright once more, having a new coach and a healed shoulder.

Last year was a wonder year for Kim Clijsters. Final at Roland Garros, quarters at Wimbledon and the US Open, fourth round Australian Open. The balance of 2002 looks less briljant: after a semi final at the Australian Open followed cold showers at Roland Garros (3rd rnd) and Wimbledon (2nd rnd). And now a fourth round, at last. A relief.

Kim: ‘ For the first time I experienced a set-back this year. My shoulder injury, the split with Carl Maes. I finally can give it 100% again.’

Q: What made the difference against Mauresmo today?
Kim: ’ Nothing, I think. If you’re losing the third set 7-5, you can’t talk about things that made the difference. Maybe that I didn’t get enough first serves in at the end. At important moments, I didn’t get enough first serves in, what made that she could put a lot of pressure on me. I was leading 5-4, but she didn’t give me gifts. With all that long waiting, the conditions weren’t ideal, but that goes for both of us. Amélie even had heard that she could go back to the hotel and that the match would be delayed. I have fought hard, but I have to recognize that she played better. Nevertheless, this was definetely my best match here.

I know that I am still far from my best level, however I am optimistic for the rest of the season. The rhythm is coming back.

Q: Satisfied?
Kim: ‘A defeat hurts of course. Especially when it turns out at 7-5 in the third set. But I am pleased with my level. Whether this was the best Kim Clijsters again? I think so. Compared to my game at the Australian Open, that’s for sure.

I don’t know which conclusion I have to make. I am not at school, am I?’ Kim says laughing. ‘I’d simply say that although I undeniably haven’t reached my level of tennis that I’d like to play, I have played much better than at the beginning of the tournament. The problem is that there were many things that I couldn’t control this year, like my injury and the split with Carl.
And I have also learned something extra again. Like how you have to deal with difficult circumstances, for example. The rain, the endless waiting,...’

Q: And those noisy Americans.
Kim: 'Yes! That man who had his mobile ringing when Mauresmo wanted to serve for the match. That drives you crazy, though. And he simply continued to use his phone. (also after Kim had forced him with a compelling look out of his place) But for the rest the match was fantastic, you know. I do love these smaller courts, the people are so close to you then.’

Q:Looking back, 2001 was maybe a bit too great?
Kim: ’No, nothing is too great, ever. It was unbelievable, of course, but I didn’t encounter any obstacles then. There was the shoulder injury this year, what forced me to play a lot less tennis. That pain is finally gone now. And then there was the end of my collaboration with Carl. These are important factors, though.’

Q:You have a new coach now, Marc De Hous. How do you rate this collaboration so far?
Kim: ’ I am very positive. With my new physio also. Evelyne, Marc and I are making a good team. At first, you have to get used to it, of course. Carl knew each and everything in the WTA-tour, while all is just new to Marc. And that immediately at a Grand Slam. Luckily we arrived here early, what made that I could guide him a bit. Working with him is excellent, but it will take some time to have everything in its place again.’

Without saying so, Kim has her eye already on next season.

Q:What’s your programme for the rest of the year?
Kim: ’Well, let’s have a look. First Tokyo and Leipzig, then a NMR-scan for my shoulder and after that Filderstadt, Zürich, Luxemburg or Linz and the Masters in LA.’

Q: Your sis Elke will try it in the qualifications at Tokyo. She’ll be out of juniors after the US Open. Your opinion?
Kim: ’ About time. Juniors, especially at a Grand Slam, that is good to get experience. But you don’t have to hang about in it. On the contrary. Out as soon as you can, I’d say.’

END

(sources: Le Soir, La Libre Belgique, La Dernière Heure, De Standaard newspaper group, Sept. 4, 2002)

ikke
Sep 4th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Thanks Ingrid:kiss:

KaseyL
Sep 4th, 2002, 02:01 PM
You're welcome, Julie!

KaseyL
Sep 4th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Forgotten to mention that Kim and doubles partner Meghann Shaughnessy have made it to the third round in women's doubles.

They defeated Clarisa Fernandez-Patricia Tarabini: 6-3 and 6-3.

They will face the best doubles team in the world in the third round: Lisa Raymond and Rennae Stubbs.

Good luck Kim and Meghann!

Come-on-kim
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Great interview!!!

But don't you think that's a lot of tournaments!!!!!!!!!!

I think she still have to pay attention to her schoulder!!!

KaseyL
Sep 4th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Kim and Meghann have secured their place in the QF with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Raymond/Stubbs!

Now, that is an impressive win; kicking this fantastic doubles pair out of the US Open!

Go Kim and Meghann!

Mitzi
Sep 4th, 2002, 10:26 PM
wow! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cilla
Sep 4th, 2002, 10:52 PM
:bounce: :bounce: GO GIRLZ! :D

Everybody Loves Raymond and Stubbs? Not Today
by usopen.org
Wednesday, September 4, 2002

In a match as notable for its squawks of frustration as for its tennis, the 15th-seeded team of Kim Clijsters and Meghann Shaughnessy unseated the No. 1 seeded team, reigning US Open champions Lisa Raymond and Rennae Stubbs, in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5.

Under a bright blue sky, it took until almost the end of the second set for each pair to find its footing and supply the kind of rallies that the admittedly small crowd had come to see. In a first set that saw a total of only four winners, each side struggled to gain the upper hand, although by the end of the set, Raymond and Stubbs seemed to have clearly misplaced any momentum they might have had.

In the second set, Shaughnessy finally got her first serve working in a hotly contested second game, and although Clijsters suffered through a couple of shots that used her torso as target practice, the team couldn't quite pull off a game win. Nonetheless, they managed to eventually tie up the set, 5-5, on a lucky break ball that landed just an inch too long and, from there, went on to win the match. They now face 6th-seeded Elena Dementieva and Janette Husarova in the semifinals.

I bet it was a bitter Stubbs aiming for Kim :rolleyes: Pf Demen/Husa...Kim can get payback I wonder if Husarova's coach will still be illegally signalling :rolleyes:

C'mon Girls Do it :D

Hawk
Sep 5th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Clijsters suffered through a couple of shots that used her torso as target practice

Ouch! Apparently they adopted the attitude..if you can't beat them...BEAT them! lol

Come-on-kim
Sep 5th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Come on Girls!!!

Beat Dementieva/Husarova!!!!