PDA

View Full Version : With today's win, Zvonareva takes the last spot to the YEC

frenchie
Sep 26th, 2008, 10:45 AM
she takes over Radwanska;)

The last 3 spots will be contested between Kuznetsova, Venus Williams, Zvonareva and Radwanska
Kuznetsova has 2447* points
Venus has 2106
Zvonareva has 2060*
Radwanska has 2056

*still in Beijing SF

Sharapova is currently 6th at the Race but almost 100% out due to injury

Shoulderpova
Sep 26th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Not so fast. There still will be some more tourneys going on. But I hope Bepa will get a spot :hug:

DragonFlame
Sep 26th, 2008, 11:54 AM
expected, bepa takes over the 'lucky bum seat' and might enter YEC again.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Sep 26th, 2008, 12:36 PM
may be masha will make a surprise and play like last year ...

Nina.
Sep 26th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Sharapova is currently 6th at the Race but almost 100% out due to injury

She is a 100% out now, it's on her homepage.

Malva
Sep 26th, 2008, 01:59 PM
It's disappointing to see that even frenchie is capable of starting a thread with so blatantly untrue title. 4 points separate Vera and Agnieszka, and there are several more tournaments that will decide the matter who goes to Dauha.

vswfan
Sep 26th, 2008, 02:08 PM
8. Venus Williams - Stuttgart, Moscow, Zurich
9. Vera Zvonareva - Stuttgart, Moscow, Zurich, Linz, Quebec City
10. Agnieszka Radwanska - Stuttgart, Moscow, Zurich, Linz

Venus has 2106
Zvonareva has 2060*
Radwanska has 2056

I think Venus will not be able to enter YEC
but Zvonareva is really a crazy woman
after Olympics she only take 1 week off
US Open - Fed Cup - Guangzhou - Beijing - Stuttgart - Moscow - Zurich - Linz - Quebec City
and possibly enter YEC
is YEC that important for her?

rrfnpump
Sep 26th, 2008, 02:13 PM
US Open - Fed Cup - Guangzhou - Beijing - Stuttgart - Moscow - Zurich - Linz - Quebec City
and possibly enter YEC

In 2004 when she also had the chance to qualify for YEC, she also played all indoor tournaments possible and did quite well in them (specially Philly), but was dead tired at the YEC losing all three matches, one 61 60 to Bagelie. :tape:

babuska6
Sep 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Zvonareva has a very good season 2008.And she is probably better than Radwanska now. She is like Hantuchova last year,great season after the seasons without big wins.

olivero
Sep 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I hope Agnieszka will make it. She is so close. This would be the biggest thing in polish tennis since...30's.

Noctis
Sep 26th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Ve Aint Bothered Oh If so I rather Have Bepa in it since she's trying that had unlike some people :rolleyes:

Volcana
Sep 26th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Actually, I don't think it matters where Venus finishes. The last time I looked at the rule, only the top seven players in the Race are guaranteed spots in the YEC. The WTA reserves the right to put whoever they want in the 8th spot. Being both Wimbledon champ, and a player who generates TV ratings, Venus is a virtual lock for the 8th and final spot, even if she hasn't the points, providing she wants to play.

Also, if Kuzzy stays healthy, both Radwanska and Zvonareva won't catch her. Maybe one, not both.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 26th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Dispite being a big Radwanska fan, the way Vera is playing right now I can't complain if she gets that final spot in the YEC over Aga. Right now Vera is playing outstanding tennis, maybe the best of her career. I have to say on current form she deserves to be in the YEC.

debopero
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Venus better make it :armed: . So since Sharapova is not playing, will Venus be an automatic entry? Personally, I think that they should do the thign were if you win a Grand Slam, you are automatically enetered.

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM
i hope that last spot goes to Vera. she deserves it.

frenchie
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM
It's disappointing to see that even frenchie is capable of starting a thread with so blatantly untrue title. 4 points separate Vera and Agnieszka, and there are several more tournaments that will decide the matter who goes to Dauha.

I know that this is not the final qualifiers:rolleyes:
I just meant that RIGHT NOW Vera is in instead of Agnieszka;)

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Dispite being a big Radwanska fan, the way Vera is playing right now I can't complain if she gets that final spot in the YEC over Aga. Right now Vera is playing outstanding tennis, maybe the best of her career. I have to say on current form she deserves to be in the YEC.

great post! i like radwanska too but vera is definitely more deserving right now.

frenchie
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I like both but Radwanska deserves her spot a little more than Vera!

Her whole year is more consistent with good results at the bigger tournaments and 3 tournaments wins on 3 different surfaces

Malva
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:57 PM

So you don't count her disappointing performance at the US Open.

Agnieszka, one has to say that in her defense, had a lot tougher luck in recent draws than Vera, and played just a fraction of what Vera played since Wimbledon. This cost her better seeding at the US Open, otherwise she couldn't have drawn the WS already in the 4th Round. It similarly cost her a bye in Beijing which would have prevented her from drawing Zheng Jie in the first round.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM
So you don't count her disappointing performance at the US Open.

Agnieszka, one has to say that in her defense, had a lot tougher luck in recent draws than Vera, and played just a fraction of what Vera played since Wimbledon. This cost her better seeding at the US Open, otherwise she couldn't have drawn the WS already in the 4th Round. It similarly cost her a bye in Beijing which would have prevented her from drawing Zheng Jie in the first round.

This is true. But it is also true that Vera beat Zheng last week, something considering Zheng's current form ain't easy to do. Aga couldn't do it this week. If Aga can overtake Vera of course I will be glad. And form is never constant. Who knows how well Aga or Vera will be playing 3 or 4 weeks from now. But as things stand right now I don't think anyone could deny Vera is playing better than Aga. And should that continue Vera will be going to the YEC and I can't argue the legitimacy of that.

Malva
Sep 26th, 2008, 04:23 PM
This is true. But it is also true that Vera beat Zheng last week, something considering Zheng's current form ain't easy to do. Aga couldn't do it this week. If Aga can overtake Vera of course I will be glad. And form is never constant. Who knows how well Aga or Vera will be playing 3 or 4 weeks from now. But as things stand right now I don't think anyone could deny Vera is playing better than Aga. And should that continue Vera will be going to the YEC and I can't argue the legitimacy of that.

I wouldn't be arguing either, Chris. Even though with a single exception of beating Zheng Jie, Vera's successes were against a long string of average players. I was certain that Zheng Jie, after her disappointment in Guang-zhou, and all the other Chinese girls already out of Beijing when Zheng was playing Agnieszka, must have been enormous motivation for Zheng.

The two girls will continue fighting for the YEC spot. All the more excitement for us.

Beat
Sep 26th, 2008, 04:51 PM
and possibly enter YEC

we all know what happend last time she did this: didn't turn out too well, now did it?

Ciarán
Sep 26th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Everyone, except maybe Ana with thrash her :lol:

AcesHigh
Sep 26th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Well.. the way Ana is playing, she should just take the fall/winter off...that would probably help Venus get in.

I really doubt Vee with take part in the tournament or even qualify which is really disappointing. The best of luck to her this fall.

starin
Sep 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
So if Venus doesn't qualify the WTA tour officials can bump someone out to put Venus in the 8th spot???

that's weird. And Venus has barely played YEC in her entire career. But I know she wants to raise her rank so maybe she'll give it a go this season if she qualifies.

OsloErik
Sep 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I'd be surprised if we didn't see Kuznetsova and two other player pass Sharapova in the race rankings, which would mean it doesn't matter if Sharapova is fit or not as she simply wouldn't qualify. I think Kuznetsova's pretty much a lock and it comes down to which of the three (Venus, Zvonareva, and Radwanska) wants it. Venus hasn't player the YEC in a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if she makes a late season push for top 4 in hopes of avoiding a QF showdown with Serena at the Aussie.

friendsita
Sep 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I hope V plays the YEC.

In The Zone
Sep 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Actually, I don't think it matters where Venus finishes. The last time I looked at the rule, only the top seven players in the Race are guaranteed spots in the YEC. The WTA reserves the right to put whoever they want in the 8th spot. Being both Wimbledon champ, and a player who generates TV ratings, Venus is a virtual lock for the 8th and final spot, even if she hasn't the points, providing she wants to play.

Also, if Kuzzy stays healthy, both Radwanska and Zvonareva won't catch her. Maybe one, not both.

Can we stop with this rule? It will never be used. Every year we talk about this rule. It will NEVER be used. Venus didn't get in 2005. She didn't get it in 2004. Serena didn't get it in 2005. It won't happen. They'll never deny the 8th person their spot.

faboozadoo15
Sep 26th, 2008, 09:13 PM
:yawn: Stupid thread title.

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 26th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Can we stop with this rule? It will never be used. Every year we talk about this rule. It will NEVER be used. Venus didn't get in 2005. She didn't get it in 2004. Serena didn't get it in 2005. It won't happen. They'll never deny the 8th person their spot.

thank you! and they shouldn't! venus (or whoever)should have to earn it.

starin
Sep 26th, 2008, 10:13 PM

in 2005 they didn't have to do it cuz both Serena and Venus said they couldn't play cuz of injury. Besides if Venus really wanted to play YEC I'm sure she could whore up events a la Hantuchova last year and get enough points to qualify.

In The Zone
Sep 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM
in 2005 they didn't have to do it cuz both Serena and Venus said they couldn't play cuz of injury. Besides if Venus really wanted to play YEC I'm sure she could whore up events a la Hantuchova last year and get enough points to qualify.

And what about 2004?

The rule will never be used. It is just a safety net. Venus should be fine. I just don't see Aga earning enough/doing enough with indoors to outdo Venus (if she plays).

AcesHigh
Sep 26th, 2008, 10:47 PM
thank you! and they shouldn't! venus (or whoever)should have to earn it.

If this were the ATP and things were done better, Venus would already be a lock. She's one of the years best players being ranked in the top 10 and winning a slam.

I'm pretty sure if Venus told organizers she wanted in, they would let her. Please... who's going to sell more tickets and get better ratings.. Venus Williams or Aga Radwanska?

darrinbaker00
Sep 26th, 2008, 10:51 PM
If this were the ATP and things were done better, Venus would already be a lock. She's one of the years best players being ranked in the top 10 and winning a slam.

I'm pretty sure if Venus told organizers she wanted in, they would let her. Please... who's going to sell more tickets and get better ratings.. Venus Williams or Aga Radwanska?
I don't know about the rest of the world, but as long as Versus is broadcasting the Championships here in the States, it won't matter who's playing, because only hardcore fans will be watching.

faboozadoo15
Sep 26th, 2008, 11:10 PM

Should they bump Venus for Kournikova if she wanted to play?
I honestly expected more from you. :rolleyes:

faboozadoo15
Sep 26th, 2008, 11:15 PM

How does that substantiate qualification into a top 8 event? :weirdo:
Venus has only made it beyond the QF of 1 event other than Wimbledon this year, and that was in Bangalore. That's pretty shabby.
Half her points came from 1 event, the other half came from 9.

Luckily this will all be moot. Venus should qualify anyway. She showed good form at the US Open. If she plays anywhere near that level this fall, she'll probably qualify 6th.

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 26th, 2008, 11:22 PM

sorry but it should be about more than that.

Temporary0369
Sep 26th, 2008, 11:44 PM
On sheer bias I thought that Radwanska should be in but looking at their seasons and the players they've had to beat, I would now say Zvonareva would be a better candidate. Zvonareva has beaten Safina twice (pre Berlin but I guess it counts) Dementieva, Jankovic, Ivanovic (ok it was a walkover, but it's still listed that she beat her), and pushed both Serena and Maria to three sets. Radwanska has wins over Dementieva and Kuznetsova. However, they should both stop playing such low tier tournaments as that is the only place they have tournament wins and thus higher rankings.