PDA

View Full Version : Great Athletes of the Generations

Steffica Greles
Sep 26th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I think it's interesting to look at the specimens the game has produced over the generations. I've tried to choose a maximum of five from each of the last three decades. Of course, there were others.

Here's my breakdown:

1970s

Margaret Court

Evonne Goolagong
(Help needed - before I was born)

1980s

Martina Navratilova (okay, arguably the 70s)

Hana Mandlikova

Chris Evert (Shock! I think Chris was an incredible athlete in her way, as Martina commented...again, even more arguably the 70s)

Must admit....Sukova, Shriver, Austin, Jaeger were not the greatest of athletes as far as I know...

1990s

Steffi Graf

Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario

Jana Novotna (absolutely breathtaking athlete at times!)

Gabriela Sabatini

Jennifer Capriati (Although she didn't really peak as an athlete until the 2000s, and yet there is no way she would have been a success at 14-16 without the stoutness, immense strength and energy she was gifted with.)

2000s

Venus Williams

Serena Williams

Kim Clijsters

Justine Henin

Amelie Mauresmo (very similar both in style and build to Sabatini)

*I would say Kuznetsova of this decade for her sheer strength, but her footwork is abysmal and too often she looks almost as if she's falling over herself.

*I would, or feel I should add Dementieva for being a brilliant athlete of this decade, but without a slam I just don't think her name carries sufficient prestige to be among 'the great' athletes. The same goes for Coetzer in the 1990s.

(We can debate which decade they belong in, as some of them crossed over or started to perform well earlier, but there's no need to be pedantic about that...just loosely speaking.)

asiandude
Sep 26th, 2008, 04:02 AM
I think you dislike Maria, shes even have better accompishment than some names above.

Geisha
Sep 26th, 2008, 04:25 AM
There are some 'athletes' who are way better than the ones listed. I mean, Gisela Dulko is an amazing athlete. Katarina Srebotnik, too. But, you've listed great athletes and tennis players.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 26th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Monica Seles?:shrug:

Direwolf
Sep 26th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Vicario,Sabatini,Novotna

are better than Seles and Hingis??

MyskinaManiac
Sep 26th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I've always seen Maria K as a great athlete. Too bad for her tennis.