PDA

View Full Version : It Happened Before! To Seles!

Brashkoala
Sep 25th, 2008, 10:26 PM
i thought the scoring scandal had only happened once in wta history during the sprem/williams match at wimbledon, but it actually happened to seles early on.

"seles vs fernandez 3rd set tie break seles up 2-1 in the tie break.seles wins the next point then fernandez wins the point after that and the umpire calls the score 2-2 instead of 3-2 seles.then he realises he made a mistake changes the score to 3-2 fernandez,he takes a point away from seles and gives another to fernandez,in a tiebreak this is crucial and it cost seles the match.injust one point she lost 2 points having one taken away and having another given to fernandez."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u40Y22W5MA0

Steffica Greles
Sep 25th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Oh yes, I remember reading about it in her autobiography.

Dave.
Sep 25th, 2008, 10:42 PM
The score should have been 2-2 but the umpire wrongly said it was 3-2 MJF. Seles was never 3-2 up though.

This was Mary-Joe's only win over Monica too. :tape:

LeRoy.
Sep 25th, 2008, 10:45 PM
:fiery: :rolleyes: @ the umpire.

:tape: indeed at that being MJFs only win over Seles.

BTW Monica looks adorable. :awww:

Craig.
Sep 25th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Wait, was that first ball Mary Joe hit in or out?

Carsten
Sep 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Seles got a point penalty because she took too much time until serving, that's what the commentator sais ;) so 2:3 is correct...

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 25th, 2008, 10:55 PM
These are both high profile matches with big stars competing and a large audience. If it can happen in circumstances such as these with the most experienced of umpires at the helm you can bet your bottom dollar that it has happen many more times in much less high profile matches. I suspect things like this probably happen over on the ITF circuit 20+ times a year, perhaps substantially more than that. Probably quite often the mistake would go unnoticed by all in attendence including the players.

raquel
Sep 25th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Something else happened I think? Why did Monica serve two points in a row to the same side of the court? Was one a replayed point?

hankqq
Sep 25th, 2008, 11:11 PM
funny. Mary-Joe never mentioned this match while doing commentary for espn during the Venus/Sprem fiasco :lol:

Steff_forever
Sep 25th, 2008, 11:24 PM
it's been at Filderstadt 1989 / quarterfinal
MJ Fernandez bt Seles 4-6 6-4 7-6 (5) (2:35h)

the pt was decisive but it's been according to the rules

the crucial penalty came from the chair umpire at 2-2 in tbrk. Monica already had been given a warning b/c of coaching before and now the umpire explained her a pt penalty (time violation b/c of strategic & long lasting complaint about ball transfer of ball kids - she wanted to have the balls at the right side)

I remember the match vividly. It's been the time I really loved Monica for her play but she was sometimes a bit bitchy when things didn't turn out her way...

If Monica would have stayed focused I guess she could have won it.

Tamus
Sep 25th, 2008, 11:31 PM
This is not a scoring mistake but the umpire is an idiot. The umpire called time violation on Monica, but it wasn't her fault. The ball kids threw the balls to the wrong end of the court (forgetting that the point at 1-2 was replayed). What a horrible call in a crucial tiebreak.

Steff_forever
Sep 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
the German commentator also critized the German chair umpire for his absent sense of touch in such a tight situation but also said the time violation was according to the rules...

Many visitors felt it's been unfair to Monica to give her a pt penalty there (me , too)

Direwolf
Sep 25th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Seles argued with the UMP
she got a Violation

Venus and Sperm didnt know what they were doing on the court
they were bashing all the way...
stupid umpire should have done his job

Matt01
Sep 26th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Seles argued with the UMP
she got a Violation

Venus and Sperm didnt know what they were doing on the court
they were bashing all the way...
stupid umpire should have done his job

:lol: I never thought about this in that particular situation, but you're probably right.

LeRoy.
Sep 26th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Seles is up 2-1 wins a point when MJF hits long making it 3-1 Seles. So how he got 3-2 MJF ? Obviously he made a mistake.

faboozadoo15
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Seles is up 2-1 wins a point when MJF hits long making it 3-1 Seles. So how he got 3-2 MJF ? Obviously he made a mistake.

Seles never had 3 points. The ump overruled the out call on MJF's shot. They replayed the point. MJF won it, and then Monica had issues with the ball kids throwing the balls to the wrong side, and the ump either messed up the score or gave monica a time violation. Either one is fucked up.

LindsayRulz
Sep 26th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I find it quite strange that the umpire decided to give Mary Jo the point to make it 3-2 after this one had a talk with him, he should have given the "violation" to Monica right away. :scratch:

Orbis
Sep 26th, 2008, 04:41 AM
:lol: So he has the nerve to overrule a call and then give her a time violation too? Handing out a time violation in a third set tiebreak when Seles just wanted the balls from the right side or whatever is kind of a dumbass decision anyway. Should have just let them play it out.

rolandg
Sep 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM
The Venus thing was worse. That was in a slam, while this was at a tournament that, although fun, wasn't really that important.

darkchild
Sep 26th, 2008, 12:43 PM
German screwed Monica twice...

debopero
Sep 26th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I did not knwo Monica was so firey :fiery: .

faboozadoo15
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Plus, am I the only other person who thought that serve was an ace?

faboozadoo15
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:23 PM
it's been at Filderstadt 1989 / quarterfinal
MJ Fernandez bt Seles 4-6 6-4 7-6 (5) (2:35h)

the pt was decisive but it's been according to the rules

the crucial penalty came from the chair umpire at 2-2 in tbrk. Monica already had been given a warning b/c of coaching before and now the umpire explained her a pt penalty (time violation b/c of strategic & long lasting complaint about ball transfer of ball kids - she wanted to have the balls at the right side)

I remember the match vividly. It's been the time I really loved Monica for her play but she was sometimes a bit bitchy when things didn't turn out her way...

If Monica would have stayed focused I guess she could have won it.
Are we watching the same thing? Monica is the one ready to serve, bouncing the ball, and MJF is wandering around the court, walking to the other side because she thinks they have played 5 points already. And it wasn't just that Monica wanted the balls from the Deuce side, they were taking the balls to MJF's side of the court, as if she was serving. Monica was totally in the right.