PDA

View Full Version : WWW: [R2] Shrewsbury - Radwańska vs. Robson

TeamUla
Sep 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Two junior Wimbledon champs meet here. Who will win? I think it will be Urszula. She steadily develops the level of her play. Her mental prepatation is much better than it was. Robson won't win but she will struggle surely.

Your opinins?

Destiny
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Fight baby Fight :boxing:

babuska6
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Radwanska in two

Endru.
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Ula :scared:

cn ireland
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Well done to Robson on winning her 1st round match:D!

I'd love to see her win this match aswell but I think Radwanska will be too good for her.

Dorien.
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Radwanska, she has more experience. But good luck to Robson, hopefully she can play a great match.

Wintermute
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Let's be fair to Laura. This tournament is a step above anything she's experienced so far. She's done amazingly well in winning her first round as a wildcard against the top seed from qualifying.

The difference in age to Ula is not as much as her last opponent but Ula has more experience at this level. Of course she's the favourite. But Laura still has a shot I think.

Dawson.
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:28 PM
first of all, well done laura on your first round win :yeah: :bounce: for a 14 year old playing her 2nd ever itf event this has already been an excellent tournement for her.

radwanska is obviously the big favourite to win and i think she will do so in straight sets, something like 6-2, 6-4. this is the kind of tournement that radwanska should be winning, and i hope she does (well actually, i want a Brit to win it, but im being realistic :lol:)

justine schnyder
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Dawaj Ula :scared:

Dodoboy.
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Well done for winning R1!!

Sean.
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Heart says Laura :)
Head says Ula :(

^bibi^
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM
should be Ula, but Go laura :banana:

Ciarán
Sep 24th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Aga Jnr.

Temperenka
Sep 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I like them both so much. I hope the winner makes a deep push!

markhingis
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Who did Laura bet in R1? What was the ranking of her opponent??

TeamUla
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:10 PM
It was Sarah Borwell. Her rank is aprox. 300-400 ? I don't know exactly.

Dodoboy.
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Does anyone know if there are any ITF's in KENT?????

Ballbasher
Radwanska 6-1 7-5

Uranium
Robson 7-5 7-5

TeamUla
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Robson 7-5 7-5

In your dreams.:lol:

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Robson beating Borwell was definately an impressive win. Borwell isn't by any means a great player, but she does have a huge serve, bigger than most of the women in the WTA top 50 and for sure Laura would never have experienced anything like it in the juniors.

tenn_ace
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:03 PM
if Robson beats Radwanska, it's going to be a big blow to Radwanska's confidence... may not recover from it.

Noctis
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM

For Once in My Life I hope Uraniums Dream become a reality

kolan
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I would love to see this match :drool:

i would think ula will be too good for laura but i sure hope she pushes her to 3 sets - would be a real treat for a 75k :)

The Tennis Head
Sep 24th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Sarah Borwell just wrote us a blog after playing Laura Robson on www.tennishead.net.

http://www.tennishead.net/prozone/interviews/2008-09-24/borwell-blogs-playing-laura-robson/

Tennishead only signed up Sarah Borwell, British doubles No.2, as its latest pro blogger a few days ago and we have to say our timing was impeccable. We weren’t expecting Sarah to actually start writing for us until next week when she plays the WTA Tour tier 2 event in Stuttgart but when she told us she had been drawn to play a certain Laura Robson today and would we like to hear about it, we couldn’t get her into the Tennishead blogging saddle fast enough. She has for some time been writing her own tennis blog, and we’re thrilled she’s agreed to share her experiences with us too.

You may remember Robson took British sport by storm in June when she became, at just 14, the youngest winner of the girls’ singles at Wimbledon since Martina Hingis. Sarah drew her in the first round of the $75,000 ITF event in Shrewsbury, a match which would be Robson’s first professional outing on British soil. Robson came away with a hard-fought 7-6, 3-6, 6-3 victory today – here’s Sarah’s account…

I lost to a 14-year-old today! That is something I never thought I would write and never thought I’d feel OK about doing so, but I feel surprisingly fine with it.

As a few people have said to me, it’s something to tell the grandchildren about! When Laura Robson wins Wimbledon again I can say I lost in three to her and didn’t disgrace myself too badly.

I was nervous going on; aware of the things people would be saying, the type of people watching, the importance of Laura Robson’s first big professional match and the pressure I put on myself.

It wasn’t until the second set when I thought, ‘Who really cares? You don’t play singles anymore and you’re playing against a girl who is good and will be one of the best Great Britain has ever seen.’

I lost the first on a tiebreak after being 4-2 up, dominated the second after a tight fourth game, and played one poor service game in the third. Laura, in all honesty, deserved to win, she beat me at my own game, something I didn’t think would happen.

After watching her at Wimbledon, I was aware of her talent, her tenacity, her intelligence, but I didn’t realise how good she actually was.

I thought I would overpower her, and that my aggression would be something she hadn’t seen on the junior circuit and would struggle to come to terms with. How wrong I was!

Laura ran me from side to side for the entire match, taking balls early, returning my 120mph serves with ease, and serving aces at important times.

With LTA coaches, major journalists and curious fans watching, Laura handled the pressure placed on her far better than I did and this is one of the main reasons why she is different.

Yes, she has the talent, she moves well, she is a clever tactician, she can play both aggressively and intelligently, but she also oozes the type of confidence you only see in the very best.

She has the feistiness needed to reach the top and the determination not to allow anything to prevent that.

Nothing in tennis is ever guaranteed, but with her talent and the attitude she carries onto court, I would be very surprised if she didn’t live up to the goals set by her and her team.

I honestly don’t have anything negative to say. What can you say about a 14-year-old who has just won Junior Wimbledon and picked apart your game?

How about, ‘At least I took her to three sets!’

vadin124
Sep 24th, 2008, 10:41 PM
omg i'm currently in a place only about 80 minutes drive from shrewsbury...i'm sooo going! :bounce:

simonsaystennis
Sep 24th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Great job so far Laura! She is only 14 so this is a great result and very promising for her.
I like Urszula too, and was impressed by her play at Wimbledon this year. I will be happy with either playyer winning, but I'm going to have to predict Urszulaa for the win in two sets.

Malva
Sep 25th, 2008, 06:33 AM
That's going to be interesting: a current Junior Wimbledon title holder against the last year title holder.

Noctis
Sep 25th, 2008, 06:47 AM
She serve aces :D Whens the match in GMT?

*hingis_forever*
Sep 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Robson won 63 63 :eek: :woohoo:
She's something else really!

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 25th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Laura ;) :yeah: :) :woohoo:
never in doubt ;)

Butt-Head
Sep 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM

:lol:

Jakeev
Sep 25th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Sarah Borwell just wrote us a blog after playing Laura Robson on www.tennishead.net (http://www.tennishead.net).

http://www.tennishead.net/prozone/interviews/2008-09-24/borwell-blogs-playing-laura-robson/

Tennishead only signed up Sarah Borwell, British doubles No.2, as its latest pro blogger a few days ago and we have to say our timing was impeccable. We weren’t expecting Sarah to actually start writing for us until next week when she plays the WTA Tour tier 2 event in Stuttgart but when she told us she had been drawn to play a certain Laura Robson today and would we like to hear about it, we couldn’t get her into the Tennishead blogging saddle fast enough. She has for some time been writing her own tennis blog, and we’re thrilled she’s agreed to share her experiences with us too.

You may remember Robson took British sport by storm in June when she became, at just 14, the youngest winner of the girls’ singles at Wimbledon since Martina Hingis. Sarah drew her in the first round of the $75,000 ITF event in Shrewsbury, a match which would be Robson’s first professional outing on British soil. Robson came away with a hard-fought 7-6, 3-6, 6-3 victory today – here’s Sarah’s account…

I lost to a 14-year-old today! That is something I never thought I would write and never thought I’d feel OK about doing so, but I feel surprisingly fine with it.

As a few people have said to me, it’s something to tell the grandchildren about! When Laura Robson wins Wimbledon again I can say I lost in three to her and didn’t disgrace myself too badly.

I was nervous going on; aware of the things people would be saying, the type of people watching, the importance of Laura Robson’s first big professional match and the pressure I put on myself.

It wasn’t until the second set when I thought, ‘Who really cares? You don’t play singles anymore and you’re playing against a girl who is good and will be one of the best Great Britain has ever seen.’

I lost the first on a tiebreak after being 4-2 up, dominated the second after a tight fourth game, and played one poor service game in the third. Laura, in all honesty, deserved to win, she beat me at my own game, something I didn’t think would happen.

After watching her at Wimbledon, I was aware of her talent, her tenacity, her intelligence, but I didn’t realise how good she actually was.

I thought I would overpower her, and that my aggression would be something she hadn’t seen on the junior circuit and would struggle to come to terms with. How wrong I was!

Laura ran me from side to side for the entire match, taking balls early, returning my 120mph serves with ease, and serving aces at important times.

With LTA coaches, major journalists and curious fans watching, Laura handled the pressure placed on her far better than I did and this is one of the main reasons why she is different.

Yes, she has the talent, she moves well, she is a clever tactician, she can play both aggressively and intelligently, but she also oozes the type of confidence you only see in the very best.

She has the feistiness needed to reach the top and the determination not to allow anything to prevent that.

Nothing in tennis is ever guaranteed, but with her talent and the attitude she carries onto court, I would be very surprised if she didn’t live up to the goals set by her and her team.

I honestly don’t have anything negative to say. What can you say about a 14-year-old who has just won Junior Wimbledon and picked apart your game?

How about, ‘At least I took her to three sets!’

I've got to say that is one of the classiest stories I have read about an older pro commenting on one that is just getting started.

I have to feel for Sarah. I have been interested in her every since I read her story about how she and others would stay in brothels just to save money in the minor leagues.

Jakeev
Sep 25th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Robson won 63 63 :eek: :woohoo:
She's something else really!

:tape:
Robson is the real deal folks..........

stfletch
Sep 25th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I always love reading the pre-match comments after a match has ended in a surprising result.

tenn_ace
Sep 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I think WTA has finally got a talent to be excited about - I'd say the first since Maria.

tenn_ace
Sep 25th, 2008, 09:24 PM
and as for Radwanska, I don't envy her. She is really facing a mediocre career at best

Jakeev
Sep 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM
and as for Radwanska, I don't envy her. She is really facing a mediocre career at best

I don't quite agree with that. If anything, she is facing a lot of pressure that I am sure Robson herself will be feeling very soon.

For Urzula, it's following in her sister's shadow and being the great hope for Poland. Laura herself will have incredible pressure to finally being England's hope.

Give them all some breathing room.