PDA

View Full Version : Navratilova disses Seles at the '91 US Open

hingis-seles
Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Stadium Court audiences, rooting first for youth (Capriati) and then for age (Navratilova), cruelly hooted Seles in her last two matches. Earlier Navratilova had even mocked Seles after a reporter mistakenly addressed Navratilova as Monica.

"I need a haircut," she said before glancing down at her shirt. "I am wearing a bra. But it's Martina, thank you."

So what if Seles didn't wear a bra during her matches? Or if she seemed to change hairstyles every odd game? So what if she sat in the stands with actor Alec Baldwin, exchanged kissy-hugs in the stadium tunnel with Elke Sommer and, after winning on Saturday, told the crowd how much she had appreciated the support of Donald Trump ...well, O.K., let's not excuse that last one. Sometimes glamour-puss girls just want to have a little pretension as well as fun.

On the court Seles is a distaff Connors at heart, all grit instead of glitter, pounding, sweating, never giving up. You read it here first: She will become one of the great women's champions of all time. In the final, Navratilova stayed with Seles until the tiebreaker, which Seles won 7-1. The second set was no contest. Seles dropped only three points in the last four games.

This year Seles has reached the finals of all 11 tournaments she has entered and has won six of them. She's three for three in Grand Slam events. Only Wimbledon , which she withdrew from because of those mysterious and controversial shin splints, is "missing," as she said on Saturday, "from my collection." Maybe the rest of the women's tour should start playing with less underwear.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1140510/2/index.htm

Who said cattiness entered the women's game in the late 90s with Hingis & Co.? Hehe. I thought it was hilarious. :devil:

VRee_Willario
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
OMG A very weird comment. :unsure: There was definitely bad blood between them, - from Martina's side :p, most notably in Wimby 1992

Kworb
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Jealousy. It's always hard to accept for top players when someone comes along who is better. "If she'd come on tour when I won my Slams, I wouldn't have won that many", is what goes through their feeble minds. They feel like their legacy is being threatened. Seles, the best tennis player ever, got her fair share of envy, until her career was destroyed in 1993. It was then that Navratilova, Graf and other not-as-good players breathed a sigh of relief.

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
now if someone had mistakenly called monica martina and monica responded, " do i look like a man?" martina's sensitive soul would have been crushed right?

tennisfan5
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
and yet they are very friendly now

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
I bet martina liked it when seles did not wear bras..

Apoleb
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
:haha:

Hilarious.

*now waits for all the mindless Martina bashing*

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
I bet martina liked it when seles did not wear bras..

:haha: :haha: :haha:

So Disrespectful
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Stadium Court audiences, rooting first for junkies (Capriati) and then for feminists (Navratilova), cruelly hooted Seles in her last two matches. Earlier Seles had even mocked Navratilova after a reporter mistakenly addressed Monica as Navratilova.

"I need a girlfriend," she said before glancing down at her skirt. "I do have a vagina. But it's Monica, thank you."

So what if Navratilova liked to munch rug on occasion? Or if she seemed to change spectacles every odd game? So what if she had towel fights with Conchita in the locker rooms, exchanged kissy-hugs in the stadium tunnel with Ellen Degenerous and, after winning on Saturday, told the crowd how much she had appreciated the support of Czechoslovakia ...well, O.K., let's not excuse that last one. Sometimes androgynous girls just want to pump iron in the gym.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...10/2/index.htm

:speakles:

VRee_Willario
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
:unsure: :rolls:

markdelaney
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I think it's just Martina's sense of humour. There was never bad blood there and Martina was instrumental in bringing Monica back to the tour after the stabbing.

Martina probably wore a man's string vest and y-front underpants anyway.

VRee_Willario
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah there was bad blood it was evident especially in Wimby 1992.Of course after Monica got stabbed Martina couldn't go on with that kind of attitude and was maybe feeling bad about her comments about Monica as it was a tragedy that ruined Monica's success. Martina would have looked pretty bad if she hadn't gotten friendlier with Monica

Ciarán
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:49 PM
betch

DA FOREHAND
Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Jealousy. It's always hard to accept for top players when someone comes along who is better. "If she'd come on tour when I won my Slams, I wouldn't have won that many", is what goes through their feeble minds. They feel like their legacy is being threatened. Seles, the best tennis player ever, got her fair share of envy, until her career was destroyed in 1993. It was then that Navratilova, Graf and other not-as-good players breathed a sigh of relief.

REally?

Do these numbers ring any bells

6-4 10-5

22-9:wavey:

Carry that bitterness to your grave:tape::help:

Kworb
Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
REally?

Do these numbers ring any bells

6-4 10-5

22-9:wavey:

Carry that bitterness to your grave:tape::help:
I only know the Graf-Seles H2H, which would've gone the other way if Seles had been given the chance to develop her career to the fullest.

Seles had won six of the last seven tournaments she played before the stabbing, and that one loss was a third set tie break. There is no doubt that she would not have lost another match that year. She's simply the best player ever, and there will never be someone better than her.

Whitehead's Boy
Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Mildly funny, but come on. That shit is 17 year old.

Navratilova did say negative things about Seles before the stabbing, but they were not enemies.

Seles was not popular with other players, for whatever reason. Of course rabid Seles fans will say they were jealous, forgetting the pre-stabbing Seles was a bit of a prima donna and not really the kind of person who would be popular in the lockerroom, like a Clijsters or a Ivanovic.

But who cares, just let it go already. (I'm not referring to the thread starter, but the tedious players-were-jealous-of-monikers;moniker-would-have-won-one-gazillion-slam. Just let it go already).

supergrunt
Sep 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Well, thankfully Monica kicked her ass everytime :) .

SM
Sep 24th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Martina was the person who helped inspire and get Monica get back on track after the stabbing. If it were not for Martina Monica might not have come back. full stop

Renalicious
Sep 24th, 2008, 12:56 AM
:haha: "I'm wearing a bra" jealous betch :o

rada
Sep 24th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Martina was the person who helped inspire and get Monica get back on track after the stabbing. If it were not for Martina Monica might not have come back. full stop

That's right :)

tonybotz
Sep 24th, 2008, 02:22 AM
who cares, this was 17 years ago... time to move on.