PDA

View Full Version : different tournaments

hellas719
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
The WTA really needs to change around some tournaments. Countries like Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania, Belarus, Ukraine and other Balkan nations don't have any WTA events. Some countries have way too many WTA events, like China and Japan, which will each host 3 tournaments next season. I think that the WTA should work with the ATP, like they do for Montreal and Toronto, where they swap the tournaments every year, so there won't be so many tournaments every year. For example, on possibility would involve Belgrade and Sofia, where one year Belgrade will host the men, and Sofia will host the women, and every year they rotate. The only problem is that this would involve 2 nations, whereas the Canadian version is in just 1 nation. This is just my opinion, so feel free to comment below if you don't agree with me. Also, how can I get in touch with the WTA?

Ciarán
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Agreed, Ireland needs one. I'd go every year without fail! A nice big Tier 1 would do nicely :lol:

hellas719
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Agreed, Ireland needs one. I'd go every year without fail! A nice big Tier 1 would do nicely :lol:

Lol. A grass court tournament that could replace a British tournament would be good for Ireland.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
^ Bartoli will like the fried mars- bars in Ireland

hellas719
Sep 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM

:lol::haha:

tennnisfannn
Sep 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM
In fairness to the world Africa could do with a couple tournies besides the one in Morocco (if memeory serves me right)

Pasta-Na
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:26 AM
The WTA really needs to change around some tournaments. Countries like Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania, Belarus, Ukraine and other Balkan nations don't have any WTA events. Some countries have way too many WTA events, like China and Japan, which will each host 3 tournaments next season. I think that the WTA should work with the ATP, like they do for Montreal and Toronto, where they swap the tournaments every year, so there won't be so many tournaments every year. For example, on possibility would involve Belgrade and Sofia, where one year Belgrade will host the men, and Sofia will host the women, and every year they rotate. The only problem is that this would involve 2 nations, whereas the Canadian version is in just 1 nation. This is just my opinion, so feel free to comment below if you don't agree with me. Also, how can I get in touch with the WTA?

still in the same country? :confused:

rockstar
Sep 26th, 2008, 11:36 AM

funny how you mention china and japan, when the us has way more tournaments...

there's really nothing wrong with a country having more than one tournament.

Tripp
Sep 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I could do with a $25K down here :awww:

Backhand_stille
Sep 26th, 2008, 01:18 PM
No problem, we can use Kragujevac and Belgrade(same country)Djokovic's academy and tennis centar will be in Krgaujevac soon!!

kwilliams
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:02 PM

We don't have any type of fried chocolate. That's Scotland. Lots of Mexican restaurants in Ireland do friend ice cream though, it's lovely but filling!

Shonami Slam
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Filderstadt/Zurich please. i can't stand it without both.

Warsaw/Sopot. super Tier3 clay event. i LOVE the polish events, best tennis of the clay season IMO.

shtokholm/helsinki/copenhagen three-way would be nice.

Ukraine/belerus
romania/hungary switch (budapest and bucherest!)

sakya23
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I actually think the WTA does good with fewer tournaments. In order to have a successful tournament, you need the money and fans in that area. that's why we don't have tournaments in some smaller countries. especially now that every tournament has to offer at least $220,000. I wish USA had more tournaments to be completely honest.

hellas719
Oct 7th, 2008, 02:18 AM
funny how you mention china and japan, when the us has way more tournaments...

there's really nothing wrong with a country having more than one tournament.

Yes, but the US is huge! China is big also, but the US has much more facilities, and Japan is tiny and has 2 tournaments in Tokyo.

juki
Oct 7th, 2008, 02:28 AM

The WTA would probably love to have tournaments in these countries, provided they give the WTA the $$$$$$ to hold the event. So until some rich businessman from one of these countries can attract sponsors and tell them that holding a WTA event is a good use of money, there is not really anything the WTA will do about it.

maxomax
Oct 7th, 2008, 02:49 AM
It would be nice if there was a tournament in Athens, they have the olympic court, are they useful right now?
Serbia need a tournament too! But you need money to hold a tournament, I don't know if there are any sponsors interested in the countries you named...

HRHoliviasmith
Oct 7th, 2008, 03:00 AM

:lol: :haha: :haha: :haha:

hellas719
Oct 8th, 2008, 01:51 AM
It would be nice if there was a tournament in Athens, they have the olympic court, are they useful right now?
Serbia need a tournament too! But you need money to hold a tournament, I don't know if there are any sponsors interested in the countries you named...

It is only in use for exhibitions, and juniors training. They used the Athens LTC for Davis Cup, an Atp challenger and an iTF 100K+H tournament. They said that in probably 2 years there will be a tier 2 in Greece, but I don't know where, probably Athens, and probably the olympic courts.