PDA

View Full Version : Could Serena be the first person since Justine to win two slams back to back?

supergrunt
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:01 PM
What do you think?

supergrunt
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
I think its a good topic because people talking about the lack of domincance in the women's game

Mackep83
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
No, Serena will lose to Sofia Arvidsson in the first round in 2009 auo. Sofia def. Serena 6-0 5-0 40-0 and then Serena gave up.

Ciarán
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
No, Dinara owns AO. Because shes winning, winning, winning, without rest. Imagine what she could do after a months rest...

Wtrain
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Well we all know Serena does well at the Australian... so I say yes

Serenita
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
If she's fit she can win anything

Dave.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:15 PM
It's an odd year so it's hard to bet against her. But the surface didn't seem to suit her game nearly as well as most other hardcourts do (although I only saw the match she lost).

Venus3000
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
Well obviously she "could". Will she? No one can say for sure unless they have a crystal ball but Serena probably will be the favorite(doesn't mean she will win) heading into the Aussie Open 2009.

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:29 PM
she has already won back to back slams 4 in a row ,she doesnt have to prove anything....she loves Australian Open and has a chance.

bridgepea
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:55 PM
uhm, just so you know, Serena has actually done this already - it was called the Serena Slam. Venus has already done it already.

supergrunt
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:18 AM
I know this. I was asking if she could do it next year becasue it has not been done since 2004.

frontier
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:22 AM
I know this. I was asking if she could do it next year becasue it has not been done since 2004.its a possibility

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:46 AM
if she's fit. i hope so.

joeygoal
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:57 AM
if she's fit. i hope so.
I dont think she needs to be fit to win it. She has to really want it and show up a la 2007.

hacberto
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
I really think she can win it. It's hard because I really want Venus to win the Australian Open and I think she was gonna win it in 04 but blew it like RG that same year. I really think Serena's gonna win the Australian Open I mean she wins it like every two years so that's a good record there. Obviously Serena's gonna be the favorite and if she wins Yec even better. Good Luck Serena, work hard baby!!!

Denise4925
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
Well, she did it before Justine and she can do it again. :shrug: I don't get this thread.

doni1212
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:03 AM
No, Dinara owns AO. Because shes winning, winning, winning, without rest. Imagine what she could do after a months rest...

Yeah, and if this was true than Dinara would've beat Serena at the U.S. Open in the semi's....:shrug:

Miss Amor
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:03 AM
yes serena is going to win the next 4 slams..and with authority

hacberto
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:04 AM
It's an odd year so it's hard to bet against her. But the surface didn't seem to suit her game nearly as well as most other hardcourts do (although I only saw the match she lost).

Well I saw all her matches and she was playing really good the first 4 matches. In the quaters agains Jelena she wasn't herself remember she had something on her toe and something in her mouth bothering her. She was making a lot of errors that match but before that she served 15 aces against Azarenka and she was playing very very well, it's a pity she lost because injuries and because having a to play a good opponent. Even the commentators on Espn said she's the one to beat, I remember Mary Joe Fernandez saying that and an old man, don't remember his name.

hacberto
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:05 AM

I don't think she's gonna win Wimbledon I don't want her to I want Venus to continue winning Wimbledon so she can break Martina's record :devil:

supergrunt
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:07 AM
Well, she did it before Justine and she can do it again. :shrug: I don't get this thread.

OMG.

I am asking if you think she can do it becasue it has not been done since Henin did it four years ago. I am aware that she has done it before and whether or not Henin was around is inconsequential.

danieln1
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:10 AM
She should have won this year´s Australian Open but she "went crazy" in that horrible quarterfinal... it´s an uneven year, of course she´ll win there

Denise4925
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:34 AM
OMG.

I am asking if you think she can do it becasue it has not been done since Henin did it four years ago. I am aware that she has done it before and whether or not Henin was around is inconsequential.

Okay...but Henin is not the measuring stick. Serena is. :confused:

supergrunt
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:36 AM
Henin is not important :mad: .

supergrunt
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:37 AM
She was just the last perosn to do this. If freakin Arantxa Sanchez Vicario was the last person to do I would have said "since Aranxta Sanchez Vicario" .

OsloErik
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:37 AM
Yes, she could! Will she...don't know. Never can know with Serena.

OsloErik
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:39 AM

He's asking if Serena can win the Australian Open, and then pointing out the fascinating fact that nobody has done it since Henin back in 2004. Still having trouble?

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:47 AM

although i'm pulling for safina to win the french and venus wimbledon, that would be hot! i'd definitely take that too. :worship:

choi15
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:12 AM
Is this even a QUESTION:confused:...Anyone who is anyone knows Serena wins the AO every odd year (2003-2005-2007):angel: so, yes...Serena will win back to back majors with the AO in 2009 :cool:, it's just how the world works!

danieln1
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:21 AM
She was just the last perosn to do this. If freakin Arantxa Sanchez Vicario was the last person to do I would have said "since Aranxta Sanchez Vicario" .

You could have said: Could Serena be the first person since 2004 to win two slams back to back?
MUCH better!

supergrunt
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:03 AM
get over it :)

SAEKeithSerena
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:12 AM
if she's fit, she'll do it in 2009.

Tamus
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:15 AM
Yes, but that's assuming that Justine is not in the draw. :)

Tamus
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:18 AM
Okay...but Henin is not the measuring stick. Serena is. :confused:

Are you that dense? When did anybody say that Justine is the measuring stick?

You could have said: Could Serena be the first person since 2004 to win two slams back to back?
MUCH better!

Yes, God forbid anyone mentions Justine's name. :rolleyes:

Dunlop1
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:00 AM
MUCH better!

Well Justine was the last person to do it, hence her mentioning. SOme people are SO defensive...

friendsita
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
I don't think she's gonna win Wimbledon I don't want her to I want Venus to continue winning Wimbledon so she can break Martina's record :devil:

me too :kiss:

InsideOut.
Sep 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
I don't know why mentioning "first since Justine" is such a big deal. It's a fact.

Meteor Shower
Sep 23rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
:lol:

I'm not sure what hurt this thread more, the fact that supergrunt started it,
or the fact it has both Justine and Serena at the thread title.

markdelaney
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
It's up to Serena. If she is reasonably fit and doesn't have one of her dramatic off-days, she is certainly capable of winning it.

markdelaney
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:57 PM
Is this even a QUESTION:confused:...Anyone who is anyone knows Serena wins the AO every odd year (2003-2005-2007):angel: so, yes...Serena will win back to back majors with the AO in 2009 :cool:, it's just how the world works!

I bet she doesn't win it in 2019 !

Noctis
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
I Rather seeing he winning RG And Wimby again then Ao

Il Primo!
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Of course she could. But lately, she always finds a way to mess it up when she has the edge. So I don't if she'll do it.

Wait and see.

Zealisa
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
I'm sure Serena is capable of doing it, but it all depends on her - whether she wants it or not.

Denise4925
Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Are you that dense? When did anybody say that Justine is the measuring stick?

Yes, God forbid anyone mentions Justine's name. :rolleyes:

Are you that dense? It's implied in the question. Of course God forbid anyone mentioning the unmentionable one. ;)

dawid
Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Of course she can, cuz she won US Open. But the questions is: Will she do it?

Dodoboy.
Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM

You would think it worked like that ;)

Dodoboy.
Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
She could do it!

I hope she does!

I am getting excited , good thread!

LCS
Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Sarena?

OsloErik
Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Are you that dense? It's implied in the question. Of course God forbid anyone mentioning the unmentionable one. ;)

Well...in terms of being the most recent player to win slams back-to-back...Henin IS the benchmark. In terms of the historical progression, it goes (from 1990): Seles-Graf-Hingis-Venus-Capriati-Venus-Serena-Henin...

So, yes. Henin IS the current measuring stick. Of course, Serena did it before her, and more impressively, but Henin has done it most recently. So...I don't get why you're confused.

Denise4925
Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Well...in terms of being the most recent player to win slams back-to-back...Henin IS the benchmark. In terms of the historical progression, it goes (from 1990): Seles-Graf-Hingis-Venus-Capriati-Venus-Serena-Henin...

So, yes. Henin IS the current measuring stick. Of course, Serena did it before her, and more impressively, but Henin has done it most recently. So...I don't get why you're confused.

I wasn't ever confused on anything except why this thread was opened. If I didn't say it, I meant to say that I don't understand the point of the thread. Because all of the responses are the same, e.g. 'she can if she wants to'...'if she's fit she can'...'if she did it before, she can do it again'...'it's an odd year and Serena wins AO in odd years, so yes'. No stimulating or scintililating discussion has ensued, other than you misunderstanding my post and trying to be a wise-ass and failing.

Oh and by the way, the only way Justine is a measuring stick is if you laid her out and put her against something to measure it. She's nothing to compare Serena, Venus, Lindsay or any other player who has beaten her and had and still has a better career than she will ever have. Needless to say, she IS NOT the current or past measuring stick in terms of performance on the court.

Destiny
Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

OsloErik
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I wasn't ever confused on anything except why this thread was opened. If I didn't say it, I meant to say that I don't understand the point of the thread. Because all of the responses are the same, e.g. 'she can if she wants to'...'if she's fit she can'...'if she did it before, she can do it again'...'it's an odd year and Serena wins AO in odd years, so yes'. No stimulating or scintililating discussion has ensued, other than you misunderstanding my post and trying to be a wise-ass and failing.

Oh and by the way, the only way Justine is a measuring stick is if you laid her out and put her against something to measure it. She's nothing to compare Serena, Venus, Lindsay or any other player who has beaten her and had and still has a better career than she will ever have. Needless to say, she IS NOT the current or past measuring stick in terms of performance on the court.

I agree, there's nothing revelationary coming out of this thread. But then, supergrunt started it, so there's always an asterisk :lol:. I apologize if my confusion and opinion seemed wise-ass-y. Not my intention.

You're entirely entitled to your opinion regarding Henin being a measuring stick. But I disagree. She won slams back-to-back more recently than the three you've named, has won 2 in a season more recently than the three you've named, and thus IS the benchmark for slam success in a 52 week period, AT THE MOMENT. In terms of the "discussion" (which isn't much of one, to be sure, but still is a discussion), Henin is the benchmark. In terms of careers, obviously the throne goes to Serena and Venus (although if you really want to argue for Davenport, go ahead and convince me), and always will be since Henin retired. But I don't see this as any different than a "can Sharapova be the first player since Serena to win a career slam?" thread or "can Dementieva be the first gold medalist since Davenport to win the US Open a year later?" or "can Henin be the first player since Graf to win the French three years in a row?" or all the other vaguely pointless threads that crop up in that vein. For people who are into relatively irrelevant statistics, this is a thread that reminds them that nobody has done back-to-back slam titles since Henin in 2003/2004. Of course, nobody has done it in the same CALENDAR year since Serena in 2002. But that's not the question.

rjd1111
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:10 AM

Just when did Justine win 2 Slams Back to Back?

supergrunt
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:13 AM
03 USO and then AO 04

supergrunt
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:14 AM
in Serena's absence :angel:

rjd1111
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM
03 USO and then AO 04

Thats not winning 2 Slams back to back

2 Slams back to back is what Venus did.

2 Slams.......... Wimbledon and the USO

Back to Back... Winning them both in '00 and '01

Dodoboy.
Sep 24th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I think what Justine did was winning 2 slams back-to-back :shrug:

^bibi^
Sep 24th, 2008, 07:43 AM

well then serena could not be the next one as she would also do USO+AO :o:rolleyes:

frontier
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:36 AM
well then serena could not be the next one as she would also do USO+AO :o:rolleyes::scratch:

Adal
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Serena? Serena!!!!! Serena slam? Supergrunt?

AnywhereButHome
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
yes,why not

youizahoe
Sep 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Serena will win AO in 2009, she's always winning it at 2003-2005-2007-2009-2011-2013

youizahoe
Sep 24th, 2008, 02:04 PM

drops dead.

She keeps on winning, but otherwise she's losing to serena. Also, Serena is the best player at the AO since 2003, and that will stay the same. And when Safina takes rest, she mostly plays very bad, it's only by playing a lot, she gets her groove going.

frontier
Sep 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Russians dont plays well at the AO with the exception of pova,they dont seem to cope very well with the weather

jacobruiz
Sep 24th, 2008, 07:12 PM

Actually, back-to-back means "one right after the other".
It's just semantics, though. I think it's very possible for Serena to do it - she's bound to be extra motivated since she's back to number one after what - six years? Even though she says rankings don't matter, I'm sure she will want to stay there.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 24th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Well obviously she "could". Will she? No one can say for sure unless they have a crystal ball but Serena probably will be the favorite(doesn't mean she will win) heading into the Aussie Open 2009.

Couldn't have put it better.

danieln1
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Why the belgian´s name still on the thread´s title???

^bibi^
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM

I think we've gone through this already ;)

VishaalMaria
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:54 PM

I don't understand........just because she retired, doesnt mean she never existed. :confused:

Denise4925
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I think we've gone through this already ;)

Oh, now I see.

tennisIlove09
Sep 24th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Serena's pattern has been to win the OZ every odd year.
03, 05, 07 ... 09?
I think she has as good of a shot as anyone.

simonsaystennis
Sep 24th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I think Serena has a great chance at winning. She has a few people to watch out for, like Dinara, Jelena, Elena, and of course Venus. If Sharapova regains her form when she recovers from injuries, I think she will be determined to defend her points at the Australian Open.

frontier
Sep 25th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I think we've gone through this already ;)a Justine fan....that figures:rolleyes:

Denise4925
Sep 25th, 2008, 12:24 AM
a Justine fan....that figures:rolleyes:

Be careful or you may find yourself with an infraction. :shrug:

Ryan
Sep 25th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Be careful or you may find yourself with an infraction. :shrug:

It's true, being an ass is a good way to get an infraction.