PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Jankovic: I Have Nothing To Prove On The Tennis Court

Marcell
Sep 22nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Jankovic insists she has nothing to prove on tennis court

BEIJING (AFP) - World number two Jelena Jankovic said Monday she feels no extra pressure due to her lack of a Grand Slam trophy, as the chase for the top spot in the women's game continues at the China Open.

Jankovic and fellow Serb Ana Ivanovic top the draw here. New world number three Dinara Safina, who captured the Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo on Sunday, withdrew due to injury.

The women's top ranking has been in flux since Justine Henin's surprise retirement in May, passing between Maria Sharapova, Ivanovic, Jankovic and current number one Serena Williams.

"I don't have to prove to anybody or any media about my ability, except to myself. I am only 23 years old, still young, and I have entered Grand Slam finals," Jankovic said at the 600,000-dollar China Open.

The US Open finalist, who briefly reached the number one ranking in August, said it was good to see change at the top of the women's game.

"All players are outstanding on court, and I will try my best to finish my job, to play tennis," said Jankovic, who lost in last year's final here to Hungary's Agnes Szavay.

Meanwhile, French Open winner and former world number one Ivanovic said injury had hampered her game over the past few months.

"I couldn't even hold my racket. I think every player needs to face injury in their career," said Ivanovic, who suffered a shock second round defeat at Flushing Meadows and has now slipped to number four in the world.

"What I need to do is keep a positive attitude. I need to give myself time to get back."

Russia's Olympic silver medallist Safina pulled out of the China Open due to a low back injury.

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
I think Jelena and Joko talk too much,she should be like Dinara who let her results do the talking.At this point she should resign herself to the idea that she is the third banana not 2nd or 1st...she should stop talking for once and focus enough to at least win a title...

Adal
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
FinalS? Really?

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
FinalS? Really?yea I thought it was just one final due to an easy draw

Miss Amor
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
has nothing to prove or cant prove? ...talk about sour grapes

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
FinalS? Really?

yea I thought it was just one final due to an easy draw
She said " Grand Slam final", so this means she includes her mixed doubles victory in Wimbledon too.:hearts:

Seyz
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
that's right , she was in a mixed finals too! lol.

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
She said " Grand Slam final", so this means she includes her mixed doubles victory in Wimbledon too.:hearts:her no.2 ranking is due to singles play not mixed doubles,she knows that no.1 is really slipping away from her after Dinara won...she is the third banana its Serena 1 Dinara 2 and she is 3rd:p

Miss Amor
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Cocky, arrogant, confident.

these qualities are good if you have achieved something..otherwise its just another sore loser

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Cocky, arrogant, confident.

Nobody needs to remind Jankovic who good she is.

I like it. :drool:Serena , Dinara,pova,Ana,Venus,Sveta,Dementieva and lINDSAY can afford to brag wait when she drops to no.3 or 4...

Vamos.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:46 PM
If I was in her shoes I would definitely be avoiding getting to #1 just because I've reached a bunch of QF/SF. It is just embarassing for the sport.

Davodus
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
grand slam finals ahaha

since when does making 1 make it grand slam finals :confused:

^bibi^
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
1 US Open Single FInal
1 Wimbledon Mixed DOuble Final

that makes 2 Grand Slam FinalS :p

Ciarán
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Eh, you kinda do JJ

дalex
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
She's right, she only needs to trust in her own ability and prove to herself that she can win Slams. She's playing for herself, so she can fulfill her potential and become the best player she can be. She improved a lot over the years and is still working very hard on some elements in her game. She already achieved plenty for someone who started playing tennis at 9.5, and she definitely hasn't peaked yet.

If anything, when she wins a GS title she'll probably get more haters/doubters with it. :drool:

Confident Jelena :hearts:

Costanza
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
She's right, she only needs to trust in her own ability and prove to herself that she can win Slams. She's playing for herself, so she can fulfill her potential and become the best player she can be. She improved a lot over the years and is still working very hard on some elements in her game. She already achieved plenty for someone who started playing tennis at 9.5, and she definitely hasn't peaked yet.

If anything, when she wins a GS title she'll probably get more haters/doubters with it. :drool:

Confident Jelena :hearts:

If;)

дalex
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
If;)

Thank you Stanzie, I knew that particular word would get some attention, so if you don't mind I'll just stick to it. :)

Costanza
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Thank you Stanzie, I knew that particular word would get some attention, so if you don't mind I'll just stick to it. :)

You're welcome!

Shoulderpova
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
:spit:
Must agree with a poster above. The problem is she can't prove :spit:
Somebody tell her that shes not that good :spit:

Optima
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
:spit:
Must agree with a poster above. The problem is she can't prove :spit:
Somebody tell her that shes not that good :spit:

Anyone who beats Sharapova on grass in a final is pretty damn good to me. :shrug:

She would have slams already if she had her brain together.

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Anyone who beats Sharapova on grass in a final is pretty damn good to me. :shrug:

She would have slams already if she had her brain together.which one:rolleyes:

brickhousesupporter
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Unfortunately for Jelena is that she is going to be judged by the critics and media. That is just part of the game. She must let her raquet do the talking so she can shut them up ala the Williams family.

Mackep83
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Maybe winnings grand slams is not the most important thing to her, maybe she play tennis because its very fun? Is not that enough?

brickhousesupporter
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Maybe winnings grand slams is not the most important thing to her, maybe she play tennis because its very fun? Is not that enough?
That may be enough for her but it will certainly lead to increase chatter about her not being a real player if her result are not good.

Mackep83
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
That was the pont she had wasent it? She has nothing to prove, except having fun. If you cant enjoy the tennis without a grand slam you shouldent play tennis on WTA at all

Destiny
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Sure babes Sure

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
if she keeps on talking she will end up sounding hollow unless she wins a title soon,young players win a lot then why is she not winning.She last won in April now we are almost done with the year and she calls herself an elite player..remember she is a young player:rolleyes:

Mackep83
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
if she keeps on talking she will end up sounding hollow unless she wins a title soon,young players win a lot then why is she not winning.She last won in April now we are almost done with the year and she calls herself an elite player..remember she is a young player:rolleyes:

What have you achieved in you career?

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
What have you achieved in you career?
we have a family business:p

RND
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
What's wrong with that?She's playing tennis for herself not for YOU. :shrug:

дalex
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
She is a "real" player and a damn good one. She can't just sit there and say "pass" on each tough question she's asked. If she gets a direct question about whether she needs to prove something or not, then what is she to say? What is the "correct" answer? She's there to do her job and try to be the best player she can be. That's exactly what she said.

Mackep83
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
we have a family business:p

Have you earned more money than Jankovic?

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Have you earned more money than Jankovic?:topic::explode:

kwilliams
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM

That was the pont she had wasent it? She has nothing to prove, except having fun. If you cant enjoy the tennis without a grand slam you shouldent play tennis on WTA at all

Have you earned more money than Jankovic?

Maybe money isn't so important, maybe having fun and enjoying your job is...as you yourself have stated in the first too quotes.

Backhand_stille
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
She is a queeeeeeen!!!! :D :devil:

LudwigDvorak
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
She has plenty to prove, but every player deludes themself to some extent. It's normal. If she, or any top player, read into all the expectations and press they receive, they'd lose their mind.

JJ's a pretty relaxed, mellow girl, but she's definitely gotten more serious this year. It has to do with expectations, not only from others, but what she puts on herself.

Let her enjoy her tennis. She seems pretty confident, as are most people, that she'll do more in her career, and probably in winning a slam as well, if not more than one.

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
:explode:even Dementieva is still dreaming of that maiden slam...after all these years

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Pro Players have to prove every week how good they are

laurie
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
I remember in 2003 when Pete Sampras retired, he said he felt he had nothing left to prove - but that was after 14 slams and 6 years as world number 1.

I think Jelena should not be drawn into these types of statements, it's just what the media wants and will circle around her like vultures if things don't work out, she should just conentrate on her game and play the media with a straight bat (cricket reference) and not give too much away right now. If she's making comments like this right now then it shows certain people/media are getting to her.

I would like to see Jelena work on her game and become an even better player than she is now, I think that's possible.

Just Do It
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
FinalS? Really?

Wimbledon mixed champio :angel:

And I have to agree, Jelena does not have to prove anything. She is a top player, and there are no doubts about it.

moby
Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
World number two Jelena Jankovic said Monday she feels no extra pressure due to her lack of a Grand Slam trophy.

"I don't have to prove to anybody or any media about my ability, except to myself."Nowhere does she say that she feels no pressure, or that she has nothing to prove. :shrug:

She's playing tennis for herself. I can't think of a more positive attitude a player can have.

дalex
Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Nowhere does she say that she feels no pressure, or that she has nothing to prove. :shrug:

She's playing tennis for herself. I can't think of a more positive attitude a player can have.

Try telling that to the people who only read thread titles. :lol:

The fact is she said nothing wrong. She's confident young woman, a top player who wants to win the biggest titles, wants to be #1. Of course there's pressure, of course she wants to prove herself, but as for her attitude, well you said it - nothing wrong there, she's just being positive about things.

Il Primo!
Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
I love that chick but there's always someone better than her on EACH surface.

On Plexicushion, Sharapova and Ivanovic are better.
On Clay, Ivanovic and Safina are better
On Grass, Sharapova and Williams are better.. maybe even Ivanovic who is her official PIMP
On Fast hardcourt (USO), Sharapova, Williamses are better..maybe even Ivanovic who is her official PIMP.

It looks locked as f*ck to me :sobbing:

She'll need to improve her serve, her fitness and have luck to win a major. I hope that happens though

MaBaker
Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
A thread for this ? Really ?

Matt01
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I love that chick but there's always someone better than her on EACH surface.

On Plexicushion, Sharapova and Ivanovic are better.
On Clay, Ivanovic and Safina are better
On Grass, Sharapova and Williams are better.. maybe even Ivanovic who is her official PIMP
On Fast hardcourt (USO), Sharapova, Williamses are better..maybe even Ivanovic who is her official PIMP.

Jankovic has already beaten Sharapova on grass and beaten Serena on fast hardcourts. :wavey:

(And Venus in her current form is no match for Janko, obviously :lol:)

RenaSlam.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
This is why Jelena is not a champion and certainly has a ways to go in developing a "champion's mentality".

Brena
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
If she doesn't prove herself to all the posters on this board she should just end her miserable existance. If she doesn't kill herslef for not achieving that ultimate goal of every self-respecting individual, she should kill herself for not not having killed herself, if you can follow me.

Mashafaaaaan
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Jankovic has already beaten Sharapova on grass and beaten Serena on fast hardcourts. :wavey:

It's not because she beat Maria (75 in the third BTW), you can say she's better than her, Maria is better than her on grass, so stop arguing. Jankovic has already beaten Venus on grass too but we all know Venus is far better than her.

freeandlonely
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Of course she has, play better offense at big points, win big tour.

SAEKeithSerena
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:14 AM
does she EVER stfu?

Roookie
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:23 AM
Why do you want her to say?.."Oh my god i'm such a sore loser because i haven't won an Slam". I think she's really confident and that's good, that's why she keeps on playing a lot. I'm not sure if she's ever winning a Grand Slam. But if she doesn't i'm pretty sure what she's going to say: "So what".

Optima
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:37 AM
does she EVER stfu?

Nope :rocker2:

friendsita
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:38 AM
I like JJ and I think she's really good, but goshhh in tennis u r NOTHING without a grand slam.

darrinbaker00
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
Jelena Jankovic is a professional tennis player, my friend. She plays tennis for money.

AcesHigh
Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:11 AM

Venus playing like sh!t on her worst surface takes Jankovic to 3 sets. After playing fantastic tennis(except on 10 set points) at USO, that statement is pretty dumb.

Matt01
Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Venus playing like sh!t on her worst surface takes Jankovic to 3 sets. After playing fantastic tennis(except on 10 set points) at USO, that statement is pretty dumb.

:lol:

And 6:2,6:3 in the last two sets is a pretty clear result if you ask me.

Costanza
Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
REALLY !?!?!

You seem pretty pleased pairing up with that slamless nothingness in your avay.

Anyway as one of the world's best female tennis players, JJ can shoot her mouth all she wants. She is also earning shitloads of money at the same time.
As her fans we hope small improvements can be made, to secure her legacy with a Slam or three. :angel:

No shit.

Costanza
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
That was nearly one full sentence.

I know you feel slightly intimidated in my presence.
No need to be, I'm in a good mood today.
Talk man, get it off your chest.

http://i33.tinypic.com/f2pi5y.gif

incognito
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
FinalS? Really?
A final can easily become finals when you translate her words to Chinese and then back to English again ;) Obviously this is not a transcript, we don't know the exact question asked nor her exact answer so it's completely pointless to dissect each and every word from this article...

Brena
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
No shit.

Good grief, Stanzie, you seem to have an innate radar for threads about JJ - as soon as one appears, you appear too! Do you actually ever post in any other threads? :confused:

Costanza
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Good grief, Stanzie, you seem to have an innate radar for threads about JJ - as soon as one appears, you appear too! Do you actually ever post in any other threads? :confused:

Hey,Ana is,also,mentioned in article:wavey:
Holly crap,Lepa Brena in avatar!!!LOL

Costanza
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Privalova,one nice video of "Queeen of turbo folk" for you:kiss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76_YYVQV9Zw

Zealisa
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
"I don't have to prove to anybody or any media about my ability, except to myself. I am only 23 years old, still young, and I have entered Grand Slam finals," Jankovic said at the 600,000-dollar China Open.

The name of the thread is incorrect, she has something to prove on court, but only to herself. Right attitude, I suppose ;)

Brena
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
Hey,Ana is,also,mentioned in article:wavey:

Yes, yes, that's exactly why you're here, everybody's talking about Ana in this thread. :)

Holly crap,Lepa Brena in avatar!!!LOL

Yep, I'm classy as always. :cool:

Privalova,one nice video of "Queeen of turbo folk" for you:kiss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76_YYVQV9Zw

Thanks, darling. :kiss: But it won't make up for your spamming JJ threads. :( (although this video is really awesome! :rolls:)

pov
Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
these qualities are good if you have achieved something..otherwise its just another sore loser
I'm not a big Jankovic fan but of course she's achieved something - she's achieved a lot. Is she the best player in the world? - no. But she is one of the best players. Anyone who has spent a lot of time in the top 5 or even top 10, maybe even top 20, of their chosen field has achieved much. She's right - she has nothing to prove.

frontier
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
I'm not a big Jankovic fan but of course she's achieved something - she's achieved a lot. Is she the best player in the world? - no. But she is one of the best players. Anyone who has spent a lot of time in the top 5 or even top 10, maybe even top 20, of their chosen field has achieved much. She's right - she has nothing to prove.
then she should shut up and just play,she argues with umpires,complains about injuries and then contradicts herself by saying I am lucky that I dont get injured that much...is she forgetting that at every event she called out a trainer.The thing is she does that to get unfair advantage on other players and she has exposed herself as a liar:rolleyes:

MaBaker
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:42 PM
then she should shut up and just play,she argues with umpires,complains about injuries and then contradicts herself by saying I am lucky that I dont get injured that much...is she forgetting that at every event she called out a trainer.The thing is she does that to get unfair advantage on other players and she has exposed herself as a liar:rolleyes:
:rolleyes: