PDA

View Full Version : Anyone expect a breakthrough for Meng Yuan

Jakeev
Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:24 AM
Yuan is one of the least talked about of the Chinese women on tour and yet I see her name constantly week to week trying to qualifying for events and usually always in WTA events.

I don't know how she manages to keep her ranking hovering around the top 100 but there she has been for nearly two years now.

She seems to be doing things on her own but the question is if anyone expects her to make some sort of breakthrough to get higher up in the rankings? She has played a lot of matches this year and is over the 100k mark in prize money but still can't seem to find that key tournament that carries her higher in the top 100.

Pasta-Na
Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM
sorry, no. :sad: she doesnt have a proper coach.

sammy01
Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
shes a brick wall isn't she? when i saw her last she couldn't hit a winner but could get a million balls into court. i guess she needs to beef up her game a bit but without a coach not sure if it will happen.

TennisPlayingFox
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
She's a good enough player but I don't really think she has enough to make the next breakthrough into the top 50. She's really scrappy and a great competitor but she doesn't have enough weapons. I think she can still get higher then her carrer high ranking of 92 but I don't think she'll ever get higher then around 70 in the world. I could be wrong though.

kittyking
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:17 AM
To put it in simple words - she's a dog and plays fetch

She does not play the sort of tennis to get into the top 50...yet, I've been wrong in the past

HenryMag.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:54 AM
she needs to be more agressive and hit some winners.

and she should play some asian challengers to get some easy points and not just play WTA qualies.

Jakeev
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
shes a brick wall isn't she? when i saw her last she couldn't hit a winner but could get a million balls into court. i guess she needs to beef up her game a bit but without a coach not sure if it will happen.

I saw her two different times at the Aussie Open. The year she played Kim Clijsters she looked out of sorts but the next year I think it was against Serena Williams she looked like she had gotten stronger and fitter.

I guess that is a main key for scrappy players is that they need to be in top shape. Probably why Jill Craybas and Camille Pin still can cause damage in any week.