PDA

View Full Version : safina is rising through the rankings but haters not growing in TF something wrong?

Expat
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM
when was the last time that someone was doing well and not being hated on TF
at least I haven't seen much hate around here?

Lucemferre
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:38 PM
Everybody loves the Safin(a)s.

simplydeep
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM
Well its boucnd to start with the goating of this thread. People should be happy for her she is working hard but, jumping on her band wagon because she is having a good year is not productive because as i keep saying rising up the rankings is so much easier than staying there and sustaing it by repeating good performances something we are all yet to see on a consistent basis from Safina, she not only has to defend but also has to throw in winning a slam, a lot of pressure and she is yet to prove playing with pressure first slams final not great perfomace, Beijing final fell apart with nerves and Us Open semi's didn't handle condition and emotions very well.

Yet no pressure in Tokyo but wins the dame thing hmmmmm

Sean.
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM
There are haters. But more people are happy to see her start to achieve her potential, once/if she wins a slam people will start to hate more

Temperenka
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:43 PM
She is consistent, and I think the most important thing is that she just focuses on her game and doesn't gain haters by getting in the spotlight off the court. She is fairly mellow and people lover to see her doing well.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:50 PM
There are haters. But more people are happy to see her start to achieve her potential, once/if she wins a slam people will start to hate more

Agree with that mostly but I think she is likely to get more haters if she reaches number one without winning a slam than if she wins a slam. Whoever you are, if you become a slamless number one this board is absolutely sure to lash out at you.

I think also there quite a few people who aren't that fond of her but compared to some of the other women at the top of the ranking I rather feel there is less about Safina to rub people the wrong way than there is in several more high profile players who will remain nameless for the timebeing.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:52 PM
She has more haters than fans

frontier
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM
she is not that annoying...she is just a meat and potatoes player,you like her or you dont...no gray area

Elldee
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:16 PM
Indifference, probably. It's a really amazing series of events though for Dinara and very impressive.

gaviotabr
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM
This is interesting..

I guess she doesn't share many demographics with other players. Like Ana-Jelena for Serbia's best player, or Ana-Maria for most marketable player, or Serena-Justine for best player of this generation. I suppose there are plenty of other examples.. I also think that it helps that she is Safin's sister. Does anyone hate Safin? I always thought he was (is) one of the most beloved players.

There are a few question marks though.. She plays lots of tournaments.. something Jankovic was always criticized about. She screams c'mon many times during a match, which is something that seems to annoy people regarding other players... I guess her rise has been so meteoric that we still have to wait a little to see if the haters will come...

Craig.
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:21 PM
Don't generalize.

I, for one, can't stand her. :)

debopero
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:22 PM
Look for the thread "Is there an off button on Safina".

pov
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:23 PM
It's interesting that you seem to be bothered by that.

brent-o
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:24 PM
I kind of disliked her before success. Thought she was a brainless ballbasher, but I respect how she's gotten her game together. She's not one of my faves though.

OsloErik
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:25 PM
Well, so far she's been able to back up all the hype. The only hurdle she's fallen at yet is the Olympics, and I think everyone was so pleased for Dementieva they've forgiven Safina for losing a match she was probably supposed to win.

Plus, she's done something to appease pretty much every major group of fans: she beat Henin in her last match, satisfying the Williams fans, without truly threatening the Williams at the US Open. She beat Sharapova at the French without beating Ivanovic, satisfying the Serbians. She beat Serena in Berlin, which pleased the Sharapova fans. And she didn't beat Dementieva when it mattered in Beijing, making them happy.

There's little to fault her with; she doesn't play an undue amount of tournaments, she works hard, she's got a personality but isn't a TOTAL b-i-t-c-h on court, she's not particularly good-looking (which helps the insecure fans of the glamorous players). If anything, the only fan base that I can conceive of having issues with her are Kuznetsova fans, for replacing Sveta as the awkward looking, forehand queen of the top 5, but we're a more forgiving bunch than most, and tend to reward results more than some fan bases.

But, just wait until next season. If she doesn't win a slam next season, the hate will come out in droves. Fortunately, she's in the elite circle of players who really can win a slam. And she's young enough.

You know, Safina may prove to be her generations exception to my golden rule about slam winners. She didn't reach a slam semifinal as a teen, nor did she win a Tier I as a teen. BUT, she did have a big chunk of time interrupted when she was 17 or 18 years old with injury. So there we go. I'm pulling for her; she's a different type of game, and now she has a brain, too!

OsloErik
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Also, she could theoretically win a title at every level in her career. She's got Tier IV's, III's, II's, and I's. She seems likely to challenge for slams starting next year. AND, she very well may win the YEC this year.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:31 PM
She is nice! did all the correct things...lost to serena in USO,, beating most players , only things I would hate her for were OG final loss [I mean comeone..losing to a no-service player is just not acceptable!] and RG final loss :help:

OsloErik
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:32 PM
I kind of disliked her before success. Thought she was a brainless ballbasher, but I respect how she's gotten her game together. She's not one of my faves though.

That's actually a very good point. She had a lot less support and lot more active disdain back in 2006 and 2007, and it was largely because anyone with an eye for tennis could tell she had all the tools to be a top 10, top 5 player, but she was so mentally...stupid, I guess. She couldn't string together good matches for her life, and when things went wrong, she'd just hit harder. Ever since she started moving better, the frustration has gone down. She's a prime example of why every tennis player who has any un-needed weight should lose it; you can't show off your skills if you can't get to the ball. I think everyone respects the work she's done to get where she is. And now, she plays a pretty elegant style of power tennis. There's a lot to see in her game and go "oh, that's how that's done properly." We don't see that enough.

I hope it keeps going.

OsloErik
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:32 PM
I hate her for losing to that dementieva

But you've got to love her for beating Henin, right?

Ciarán
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:14 PM
Jealousy

hotandspicey
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:58 PM
In due time, my dear. :lol: when she becomes a major threat and starts beating regularly, the players of the 7 most popular fan bases, then all hell will break loose. or when she starts threatening endorsements, prize money and the glamour chicks, or doing photo shoots, mag covers, walking the red carpet, get some outside interests, injuries....etc..etc..get my drift? :tape:

égalité
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
Hated her before of her current success , I hate her now :)

I don´t think she is competing in a clean way , if you know what that means

Why, because she's winning? :weirdo:

Tennisstar86
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:05 AM
shes got tons of haters out there..... dont worry....

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Actually , I don´t support Marat Safin anymore because of his annoying sister

Mackep83
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:16 AM
Safina is great. I love her heavy groundsrokes and her technique on the backhand and the forehand as well..

homogenius
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
Why, because she's winning? :weirdo:

Maybe it's because of the way she's winning some matches :shrug:

Mackep83
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:36 AM
Maybe it's because of the way she's winning some matches :shrug:

And that is??

Why dont Serena has more haters than? Her fake injury in us-open final 3-5 0-40 was pathetic

~Cherry*Blossom~
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:38 AM
Once she wins a slam she'll be shit listed by a lot more people ;)

LudwigDvorak
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
I liked Dinara before Paris, basically. I didn't even think she was that good: her forehand was a MESS, serve was an inconsistent debacle, she couldn't volley, and she was too slow to compete with the top players off clay. But I liked the fact she was a psycho nutjob that exploded and was very fun to see her meltdown. Even though she didn't have much success or capability IMO, that surprise factor made me like her.

Now she's lost that, honed every aspect of her game to near perfection (bar the second serve), and she's a LICHNA KIMAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!! screaming robot. :shrug: Everything I liked about her before has evaporated, but I suppose I was never a real fan anyway.

Black Mamba.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
People are taking a wait and see approach. Sure she's been hot lately but I guarantee if she backs this up with a big year next year she'll have her share of haters.

OsloErik
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
I liked Dinara before Paris, basically. I didn't even think she was that good: her forehand was a MESS, serve was an inconsistent debacle, she couldn't volley, and she was too slow to compete with the top players off clay. But I liked the fact she was a psycho nutjob that exploded and was very fun to see her meltdown. Even though she didn't have much success or capability IMO, that surprise factor made me like her.

Now she's lost that, honed every aspect of her game to near perfection (bar the second serve), and she's a LICHNA KIMAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!! screaming robot. :shrug: Everything I liked about her before has evaporated, but I suppose I was never a real fan anyway.

What would happen to you if Dementieva got a better serve and head? Would you abandon her too? :lol:

thegreendestiny
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:34 AM
i despise her for beating masha/lena/sveta in RG only to lose to Ana in the finals. :fiery:

Modiac.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:32 AM
Who would blame or hate a diligent cow? It might not be suitable,but i mean she's not Pova or Serena.
She got nothing special to be jealous.

Geisha
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:38 AM
Williams fans like her because she knocked off Henin and Sharapova in successive tournaments, and because she didn't beat Serena at the US Open. She's earning her ranking by winning, not by playing a million tournaments. She's not very pretty, so nobody is threatened.

And, she has one of the hottest brothers in the world! <3

Geisha
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:39 AM
Who would blame or hate a diligent cow? It might not be suitable,but i mean she's not Pova or Serena.
She got nothing special to be jealous.

Mhmm. Good point.

She's just doing her thing under the radar. I mean, nobody has been as dominant as her in the past six months than...probably Henin in 2007! But, nobody has noticed.

Malva
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:39 AM
Agree with that mostly but I think she is likely to get more haters if she reaches number one without winning a slam than if she wins a slam. Whoever you are, if you become a slamless number one this board is absolutely sure to lash out at you.

I think also there quite a few people who aren't that fond of her but compared to some of the other women at the top of the ranking I rather feel there is less about Safina to rub people the wrong way than there is in several more high profile players who will remain nameless for the timebeing.

That's true. Especially the second paragraph.

One may also add that hatred practiced day-after-day, week-after-week, month-after-month, also drains a lot of psychic energies. Somebody who for months was spitting hatred on other players may have his reserves of hatred depleted when a new object of hatred appears.

I guess, not only players, our hate-men are getting tired too as the season enters its final phase.

Direwolf
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:50 AM
because the player she beats has more haters??

anyway... Kim wasnt really that hated
untill she continued choking

enchantrezz
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
Mhmm. Good point.

She's just doing her thing under the radar. I mean, nobody has been as dominant as her in the past six months than...probably Henin in 2007! But, nobody has noticed.

Errr...I think the top players have noticed her, only some or most of their fans here are in denial :)

Danči Dementia
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:35 AM
she is annoying....her on court behaviour its really lame....

but when she loses in big finals she goes and hugs her opponet and gives them a smile and I think that is very very nice and cute from her:worship::awww::yeah:

I don´t hate her...I can´t hate her......her brother is just too amazingly hot :drool: so that makes me not to hate her.........I just don´t like her at all :shrug:
(and yes it has to do with the fact that she beat my Demented three times in a row....so what?? :o)

Geisha
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:36 AM
she is annoying....her on court behaviour its really lame....

but when she loses in big finals she goes and hugs her opponet and gives them a smile and I think that is very very nice and cute from her:worship::awww::yeah:

I don´t hate her...I can´t hate her......her brother is just too amazingly hot :drool: so that makes me not to hate her.........I just don´t like her at all :shrug:
(and yes it has to do with the fact that she beat my Demented three times in a row....so what?? :o)

mhmmm. Definitely.

Adal
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:42 AM
I'm surprised too, actually.
She has all the qualities to be hated here. http://msnsmileys.net/c/smileys/Crystalmess/Arrogant.png

Josh.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:48 AM
I don't like her. Still can't see past the fact that she is just one giant ballbasher who is starting to live up to her potential, but I just don't go around spewing that hatred.

Till now. :angel:

V's a star
Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
I think mostly everyone can just see she is a true competitor not to mention a great game. Which is much alot better then this Ivanovic bullshit :help: and a player who reachs #1 by playing every freakin week :wavey:
Wow i jus realized i hate the serbs. Luv Novak tho :drool:

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:15 AM
not one of the Serbs has won a title since Roland Garros Novak too,the swimming pool tale wont save them this time....:ras:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
not one of the Serbs has won a title since Roland Garros Novak to,the swimming pool tale wont save them this time....

well ana still has her photoshopped beauty to get attention..even in tennis

tennnisfannn
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Even we haters have standards:devil: At the very minmum she has to win a slam, be a slamless no.1or beat all the players who have already met the above criteria atleast mosre than once, otherwise it is a fluke. Safina is closing in.
Not to mention we are too besotted by Safin to really hate Safina:lol:

$uricate
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
Usually only players who are really nice and have sparkling personalities have haters :shrug:

Since Safina has an abominable personality and behaves like a bitch she is bound to be loved on here.

OsloErik
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:42 AM
Even we haters have standards:devil: At the very minmum she has to win a slam, be a slamless no.1or beat all the players who have already met the above criteria atleast mosre than once, otherwise it is a fluke. Safina is closing in.
Not to mention we are too besotted by Safin to really hate Safina:lol:

I'm pretty sure she'll have to win the YEC to be #1, and in that case I expect most posters will give her at least the Australian Open to win a slam. I do think if she's at #1 without a slam in March or July, she'll be ridiculed as a choker. But with a YEC title, she could potentially stave off the "haters" for a few months.

dany.p
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
People are taking a wait and see approach. Sure she's been hot lately but I guarantee if she backs this up with a big year next year she'll have her share of haters.
This is a good point. She came into form just before the French, so has only played 3 grandslams in her current form. If she starts doing badly at the slams, or even just consistently losing at the quarter or semifinal stage, people will start to pounce on her. If she wins a grandslam, she'll get haters as well. Sadly, whatever happens, people will start hating on her.
Although it's nice that a player can have success on tour, and not automatically get irrational haters on there back.

JackFrost
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
The haters will come sooner or later, when she beats their favorits in a regular basis. ;)

Sean.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM

:rolleyes: She is a doubles grand-slam champion she has always been a really good volleyer...

There's little to fault her with; she doesn't play an undue amount of tournaments, she works hard, she's got a personality but isn't a TOTAL b-i-t-c-h on court, she's not particularly good-looking (which helps the insecure fans of the glamorous players). If anything, the only fan base that I can conceive of having issues with her are Kuznetsova fans, for replacing Sveta as the awkward looking, forehand queen of the top 5, but we're a more forgiving bunch than most, and tend to reward results more than some fan bases.

I wouldn't call her a forehand queen, as her backhand DTL is so good! Ana is more acustomed to hold that title - usually :sad:

OsloErik
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
:rolleyes: She is a doubles grand-slam champion she has always been a really good volleyer...

Well, to be fair, back when she was lousy at moving she couldn't get to the net properly enough to volley successfully. She was great at volleying if she was at net, but she could easily get caught in the midcourt completely hamstrung by her movement. Doubles she got to start points at net, or have someone covering for her approach shots.

Ana is more acustomed to hold that title - usually :sad:

Of "awkward looking, forehand queen"? Because most people don't think Ivanovic is that awkward looking, :lol:

Slampova
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
I've disliked her since Moscow 05 :p

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I think her main haters will be from the Jankobitches ...like Waynn,Bruno,Dalex,Just do it

Destiny
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
:lol: I love her so yeah every since she beat Justine and Serena at Berlin

what's not to love about that

Graf~Dokic
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
I don't like the title of this thread, because it definitely doesn't matter whether someone's climbing the rankings or not, but it depends on how someone's playing... ;) Safina e.g. is playing terribly boring. :rolleyes: If she hadn't her good serve, she wouldn't be Top 20.

Let's wait and see how she deals with the pressure next season if she'll have many many points to defend. I bet 100 € that she won't be Top 10 by the end of 2009.

LudwigDvorak
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
What would happen to you if Dementieva got a better serve and head? Would you abandon her too? :lol:

I've thought about what I'd do if she suddenly became some super elite player, yeah. Before I go on, I can rest in the knowledge of knowing that she won't because she simply doesn't have the firepower or super defense (ala ASV or JJ) to become one of them. But if I ignore that....

With Elena, the serve has gotten much better, and I never thought her head was that bad. Sometimes she can melt down or choke, but nothing out of the ordinary. Generally I find players need to play very well to beat her if she isn't in melt down mode, and it's not that often. Out of her 200 some losses, 75 are to top 10 players and countless more to top 20. You need to be damn good to beat her (usually :) ).

The inherent difference with Elena and Dinara for me is that one is my all-time favorite player, while the other was never more than a second tier fave. And that's what it boils down to.

To keep the Elena talk up, Elena's made two slam finals in doubles. She can't volley for shit. Basically what OsloErik said. Seeing her try to serve and volley in 2007 at the most random, inopportune times :o wow it was so bad.

I think her main haters will be from the Jankobitches ...like Waynn,Bruno,Dalex,Just do it

Elena fans hate Safina more than any other fanbase, I think. And I wouldn't name off people--you don't know if they hate her. In fact, I've never seen any of those posters say anything negative about Safina.

enchantrezz
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Elena fans hate Safina more than any other fanbase, I think. And I wouldn't name off people--you don't know if they hate her. In fact, I've never seen any of those posters say anything negative about Safina.

Really? Is that because Safina is also a Russian like Dementieva?

LudwigDvorak
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM

It's just close competition. Safina's outshining Dementieva, and we are DEFINITELY not used to that. :lol: Now in just four months she's nearly matched Dementieva's career numbers, and we don't like that. Plus Safina beat Dementieva in two very important matches this year that still hurt on reflection (we're also a very bitter fanbase, but what can you do?).

дalex
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM

:rolls:

****tier shows off his brilliance yet again....

I'm not a fan of Dinara, but she's a great player and she was the one who said JJ deserved her #1 spot, so she gets my :worship: for that comment.

**** = dumb

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM

Nah .
We like other russinas like Myskina , Pova , Zvonareva , Chaky , Kuzy in most of cases

In my case , I dont like the style of game of Safina , her attitude of retard person on court, the fact that she has no fans by her own merit (99 of 100 Safina fans are Safin fangirls rooting for his sister)

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
It's just close competition. Safina's outshining Dementieva, and we are DEFINITELY not used to that. :lol: Now in just four months she's nearly matched Dementieva's career numbers, and we don't like that. Plus Safina beat Dementieva in two very important matches this year that still hurt on reflection (we're also a very bitter fanbase, but what can you do?).

Those are not the reasons , otherwise we could not be fans of another russinas with more achievements than Elena like Pova , Myskina or Kuzy and as far as I know , most of Lena fans like them

Example , Myskina always owned Elena big time and in a more hardcore way :lol: but as I loved her game I did not hate her. If Safina played a tennis of my taste , I would not have problems with her

eugreene2
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
The haters will only grow IF she becomes a thorn in the side of the Williams' family

enchantrezz
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM

I acknowledge you for being so open and I can see your pov . And as a Safina fan , I also have to admit that loss in the Olympic final was really painful but I wont elaborate further why :lol:

LudwigDvorak
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Those are not the reasons , otherwise we could not be fans of another russinas with more achievements than Elena like Pova , Myskina or Kuzy and as far as I know , most of Lena fans like them

Example , Myskina always owned Elena big time and in a more hardcore way :lol: but as I loved her game I did not hate her. If Safina played a tennis of my taste , I would not have problems with her

Myskina didn't own Dementieva. She did in 2004, yes, and off of hardcourts/carpets, yes, but elsewhere no.

And Myskina/Kuznetsova/Sharapova are better players than Dementieva. Everyone knows that, so it's OK. Now that someone who was so much lesser than Dementieva for the entirety of her career is almost her equal and beating her in big matches...seems pretty obvious to me. But yes, if that is honestly not the reason why an Elena fan doesn't like her, there aren't many of those around.

I acknowledge you for being so open and I can see your pov . And as a Safina fan , I also have to admit that loss in the Olympic final was really painful but I wont elaborate further why :lol:

Seventeen. You don't need to say anything more. :lol:

Dave.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
I personally cannot stand anything about her, but I think I've behaved well during this "impressive run" of hers. :angel:

JackFrost
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Well, you´re without a doubt an expert in the subjects "Hate" and "Jelena Jankovic". And now wipe the foam from your mouth and come back to the subject.

Emina.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
I do not like her. I like Marat but I can't stand his fugly sister :)

darkangel23
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Never liked her...

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Nah .
We like other russinas like Myskina , Pova , Zvonareva , Chaky , Kuzy in most of cases

In my case , I dont like the style of game of Safina , her attitude of retard person on court, the fact that she has no fans by her own merit (99 of 100 Safina fans are Safin fangirls rooting for his sister)

sadly i hate to agree with you but this is the truth. :lol:

i also think that a lot of people still don't think she's for real hence the indifference, they don't think she's going to maintain this level of play.

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM

nah it's the dementieva mafia.

lilimi
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
:rolleyes: If she hadn't her good serve, she wouldn't be Top 20.

totally wrong. she won many matches doing million double faults. she has a good serve, but just like marat, it's not her main weapon like for sharapova or roddick who are totally hopeless without serve/shoulder.
dinara is one of the rare players who actually has a game on the woman tour.
i think dinara has many haters but they are low profile because they hate her for irrational & biased reasons:p:p:p.
what surprises most is the fact that lena fans hate dinara so much:help::tape:. for me they're like tennis sisters. maybe we wouldn't know about elena if dinara's mom hadn't coached her in her early years:o.

hacberto
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
Well I think she's a nice person, I don't like her. But it's good to watch somebody doing so well I mean come on finally she's winning big.

starin
Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
sadly i hate to agree with you but this is the truth. :lol:

i also think that a lot of people still don't think she's for real hence the indifference, they don't think she's going to maintain this level of play.

that's exactly how i feel.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:47 AM

This is true
I think Safina is in her Petrova or Dokic - esque season. We well see next year (if she is still playing) if she is for real , remember that her brother Marat Safin won 7 of 15 titles in one season

OsloErik
Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:57 AM
This is true
I think Safina is in her Petrova or Dokic - esque season. We well see next year (if she is still playing) if she is for real , remember that her brother Marat Safin won 7 of 15 titles in one season

She's already done more than Dokic or Petrova. In fact, she's inching towards doing better than those 2 combined!

AcesHigh
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:06 AM
I also feel people aren't ready to believe she's the real deal yet.. I dislike her although I used to really like her.

I'm probably jealous that she's using this opportunity to take advantage of the field. No way she would be this successful a year ago, or even 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, etc. And jealous because my faves are f*cking up their chances(Venus, Ana, and some others) to really dominate.. and then I'm a little pissed that Kuznetsova, Jankovic and others are so pathetic that it's quite disgusting...

Anyway, I think a lot of people are just keeping quiet about it.. b/c she doesnt have a personality, she's not that pretty and she's easily ignorable. No offense.. its just the way things are. At the same time, she hasn't been as successful as others and not around long enough to develop a "hater base"

Mrs. Peel
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:12 AM
Never hated her just never paid her much attention. Her play never appealed to me. I have always loved her brother. She truly was under his shadow. I thought she even walked like him :tape:. Now she has emerged from a cracking summer and I have been so impressed by her play. This is not a fluke. It is obvious that she is busted her butt to get to this point. An effort that could put Marat to shame :o. She's The Safin to watch now. She can win a slam in the right conditions. Love her game.
A little more pizzaz in her personality would be nice. Dour & sulky is not cute! I like to see her winning. She'll usually crack a smile then!

tonybotz
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:14 AM
Safina has paid her dues. she's been around, had the talent, worked on her weaknesses and earned her spot. i think thats why there is lack of hate. she's a good kid with a lot of talent who is finally seeing that potential come to fruition. i say good for her!

OsloErik
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:19 AM
It's actually worth noting that back when there was a thread about who in the top 20 had the most fans, she came in close to dead last. She's just not the most charismatic player, and that doesn't lend itself to haters OR lovers.

frontier
Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
she is okay because she is not bitchy,but is a no frills player who needs a dose of personality

tennnisfannn
Sep 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
I also feel people aren't ready to believe she's the real deal yet.. I dislike her although I used to really like her.

I'm probably jealous that she's using this opportunity to take advantage of the field. No way she would be this successful a year ago, or even 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, etc. And jealous because my faves are f*cking up their chances(Venus, Ana, and some others) to really dominate.. and then I'm a little pissed that Kuznetsova, Jankovic and others are so pathetic that it's quite disgusting...

Anyway, I think a lot of people are just keeping quiet about it.. b/c she doesnt have a personality, she's not that pretty and she's easily ignorable. No offense.. its just the way things are. At the same time, she hasn't been as successful as others and not around long enough to develop a "hater base"
what a ridiculous thing to say, players don't all develop in the same time span. Ana wouldn't have won a slam last year, she was not ready till this year and who knows where she goes from now she may do a myskina and only have mediocre results from now on.
Dinara is definitely the real deal she is blossing at the right age and could take up residence in the top 5 for a very long time.

mapaliey
Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
I More Happy If Safina To Be # 1 Than Any Serbian Girls. Esp. The "it" Girls.....

frontier
Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Safina has worked her ass off this year and is winning left and right I feel she is at no.2 after Serena,she has earned her ranking and if she gets to no.1 so be it she is winning thats the key..winning titles.The good thing is there is no hype, no swimming pool tale,no Siberia hogwash just meat and potatoes tennis.I like her because she is not trying too hard to be liked by the media ,you like her or you dont..its that simple

Warrior
Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Trust me. Safina has more haters now, than she had at the beginning of the year.

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Safina has worked her ass off this year and is winning left and right I feel she is at no.2 after Serena,she has earned her ranking and if she gets to no.1 so be it she is winning thats the key..winning titles.The good thing is there is no hype, no swimming pool tale,no Siberia hogwash just meat and potatoes tennis.I like her because she is not trying too hard to be liked by the media ,you like her or you dont..its that simple

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :lol:

good post!

Graf~Dokic
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
totally wrong. she won many matches doing million double faults.

Yes, that may be true, but you just play as good as your opponent lets you play... ;) And what if her opponents in those matches were too choky to close the match out? :rolleyes:

In my opinion, there are tons of better players out there, just because of a better technique, but mentally, Safina is stronger than most of the other players.

frontier
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Safina You Rock Girl!

AcesHigh
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
what a ridiculous thing to say, players don't all develop in the same time span. Ana wouldn't have won a slam last year, she was not ready till this year and who knows where she goes from now she may do a myskina and only have mediocre results from now on.
Dinara is definitely the real deal she is blossing at the right age and could take up residence in the top 5 for a very long time.

I'm sorry you couldnt understand my post, but I'm saying the competition wouldnt have allowed her too if you somehow put Dinara in a timemachine and sent her back to those years.

Expat
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'm sorry you couldnt understand my post, but I'm saying the competition wouldnt have allowed her too if you somehow put Dinara in a timemachine and sent her back to those years.
u sure about 2004
that was the absolute worst year

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
u sure about 2004

Better year than 2008 , a stronger top 10 by far than the current one

Ex , Dementieva made 2 GS Finals and only was 4 in the world . This year with one GS Final you are number one of the world

lilimi
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
Yes, that may be true, but you just play as good as your opponent lets you play... ;) And what if her opponents in those matches were too choky to close the match out? :rolleyes:

In my opinion, there are tons of better players out there, just because of a better technique, but mentally, Safina is stronger than most of the other players.

i'm aware we'll never agree but i think Dinara has a great technique. she can do everything on court, compare to 80% of the tour, she's a mozart of the game. I'm sorry to say that, but WTA is mostly power currently. in these ballbasher players i put sharapova and her ugly technique (i hate her "lasso" volleys for instance:lol:)but also my faves like sania, elena or karolina sprem.
i don't understand how can someone could find her game or nadia's game boring?:confused: for me there nothing more boring and embarrassing than players insisting in bashing balls everywhere without brains (sania, do you hear me?;)). when you add useless screams/grunts, it's unbearable. I want more dinaras and nadias, less sharpies.

AnnaK_4ever
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
u sure about 2004

because neither sister won a grand slam?

AcesHigh
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
u sure about 2004

I'm sure.. it was one of Davenport's and Mauresmo's best years, and Henin, Myskina, Serena, JCap all played very well in patches.

OsloErik
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
i'm aware we'll never agree but i think Dinara has a great technique. she can do everything on court, compare to 80% of the tour, she's a mozart of the game.

This is another interesting point. Whether you like her or not, you can compare Safina very favorably to Serena in terms of the groundstroke quality. Not the way she hits the ball, as the two are quite different, but in terms of how they hit the ball (if that makes any sense).

Serena and Safina have a ton of talent. Obviously, Serena more, plus a better serve in every way. BUT, they both have superb groundstrokes. However, Serena and Safina both hit patches where they were doing nothing of not off the groundstrokes. They would spray balls over the place, hit wildly, and play frustratingly stupid tennis. But then they both got a little fitter, focused on their feet and legs a little more, and look what happens.

Both players are clear examples of what fitness can do for your game if you have the talent. As early as 2003 you could tell that Safina had as much talent as her brother. But she didn't have the fitness to augment her game. She couldn't get as high as she is now without adding that element of athleticism. Serena too. I think Serena is dramatically more naturally talented a tennis player than Venus, but Venus is dramatically more naturally athletic. Serena has to work harder to stay in shape, where as Venus has to work harder to keep weight on. When Serena is fully fit, there's no-one on tour can match her. Safina's ability is now being fully realized because (gasp) she is just about as fit as you can be.

Add to it that Safina is one of the least pretentious players around and it's clear she'll have a lower hater-to-fan ratio. Although if she fails to back up her season by mid-July next year, she'll be in trouble on the message board. Of course, I doubt she cares all that much.

frontier
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
This is another interesting point. Whether you like her or not, you can compare Safina very favorably to Serena in terms of the groundstroke quality. Not the way she hits the ball, as the two are quite different, but in terms of how they hit the ball (if that makes any sense).

Serena and Safina have a ton of talent. Obviously, Serena more, plus a better serve in every way. BUT, they both have superb groundstrokes. However, Serena and Safina both hit patches where they were doing nothing of not off the groundstrokes. They would spray balls over the place, hit wildly, and play frustratingly stupid tennis. But then they both got a little fitter, focused on their feet and legs a little more, and look what happens.

Both players are clear examples of what fitness can do for your game if you have the talent. As early as 2003 you could tell that Safina had as much talent as her brother. But she didn't have the fitness to augment her game. She couldn't get as high as she is now without adding that element of athleticism. Serena too. I think Serena is dramatically more naturally talented a tennis player than Venus, but Venus is dramatically more naturally athletic. Serena has to work harder to stay in shape, where as Venus has to work harder to keep weight on. When Serena is fully fit, there's no-one on tour can match her. Safina's ability is now being fully realized because (gasp) she is just about as fit as you can be.

Add to it that Safina is one of the least pretentious players around and it's clear she'll have a lower hater-to-fan ratio. Although if she fails to back up her season by mid-July next year, she'll be in trouble on the message board. Of course, I doubt she cares all that much.:worship::worship::worship:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Add to it that Safina is one of the least pretentious players around and it's clear she'll have a lower hater-to-fan ratio. Although if she fails to back up her season by mid-July next year, she'll be in trouble on the message board. Of course, I doubt she cares all that much.

You have not seen threads like your least fave player , it seems . Safina is easily top 8 . In threads like your fave player Safina is very very far , not even top 15 and she has the help of Marat fangirls

More disliked than loved

Expat
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
because neither sister won a grand slam?
nope all of the top players were injured for the most part of the year including justine and kim
if safina is going on a hot streak right now due to the injuries to sharapova and the retirement of henin the same was true then too
2006 another year when the williams sisters hardly played was a good year because of henin mauresmo and sharapova were all playing in good form

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:59 PM

great post!

Expat
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
Better year than 2008 , a stronger top 10 by far than the current one

Ex , Dementieva made 2 GS Finals and only was 4 in the world . This year with one GS Final you are number one of the world
and two 1Rs too

this year is really bad but so was 2004

OsloErik
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
You have not seen threads like your least fave player , it seems . Safina is easily top 8 . In threads like your fave player Safina is very very far , not even top 15 and she has the help of Marat fangirls

More disliked than loved

Not only do I seriously doubt that more than 2% of posters overall would list her as their least favorite player, I seriously doubt that she's among the top 8 least liked players in the top 20. I can think, off the top of my head, of at least 10 who would generally go before her. Ivanovic, Jankovic, Sharapova, Serena, Venus, Chakvetadze, Hantuchova, Schynder, Bartoli...is Petrova still top 20? Safina doesn't inspire the extremes, except in you and a few others. That trend is shifting, but overall she doesn't register in the hate threads. Kind of like Davydenko pre-gambling scandal. He was a top 5 player, made deep runs at slams, and nobody really cared one way or the other.

Safina and Kuznetsova lack the glamour of the Big 5 glamorous players (Williams x2, Serbia x2, Sharapova) but can back that absence of glamour up with good enough results to warrant top 5 status. It's hard to hate that until it doesn't produce; that's what happened to Kuznetsova. Nobody really cared that she was inching her way towards the top until they noticed she hasn't won many titles in the past 150 weeks or so. Safina doesn't have that problem. I don't expect her to have many "haters" until she starts beating other top players (Williams, Sharapova, Serbians) consistently, which could be sooner.

I think most rational posters give her a leeway through next July to win a slam/consolidate her top 5 ranking, and then formulate an opinion. Of course, you're an irrational poster who has been tacitly implying a top 5 player is a drug cheat. So you don't particularly count ;).

frontier
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:20 PM

More disliked than lovedSAFINA IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER RUSSIAN PLAYERS,SHE IS RED HOT AT THE MOMENT AND I AM SORRY TO SAY DEMENTIEVA IS JUST NOT AS GOOD AS SAFINA AT THE MOMENT.I AM NOT A SAFIN FAN BUT SAFINA IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITES SO DONT SAY ONLY THE SAFINETTES SUPPORT HER.SHE HAS EARNED MY RESPECT BECAUSE SHE IS A WINNER AND WORKED HARD
TO BE WHERE SHE IS NOW.:tape:
DONT HATE APPRECIATE:rolleyes:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
SAFINA IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER RUSSIAN PLAYERS,SHE IS RED HOT AT THE MOMENT AND I AM SORRY TO SAY DEMENTIEVA IS JUST NOT AS GOOD AS SAFINA AT THE MOMENT.I AM NOT A SAFIN FAN BUT SAFINA IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITES SO DONT SAY ONLY THE SAFINETTES SUPPORT HER.SHE HAS EARNED MY RESPECT BECAUSE SHE IS A WINNER AND WORKED HARD
TO BE WHERE SHE IS NOW.:tape:
DONT HATE APPRECIATE:rolleyes:

The definition of Glory Hunter :lol:

I missed , I like her cos she is not blonde and beautiful

OsloErik
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
and two 1Rs too

this year is really bad but so was 2004

They're awfully similar, really.

In 2004, we lost Clijsters a third into the season, sort of lost Henin (between the French and the Olympics and after), lacking the Seles-Hingis demographic, and Capriati went south after the US Open. The star of two years ago (Serena) hasn't had a terrific injury recovery, and Venus didn't perform the way many hoped she would.

This year, we lost Henin a third into the season, sort of lost Sharapova (since around the French Open, really), lacking the Clijsters-Hingis demographic, and Ivanovic went south after the French Open. The star of two years ago (Mauresmo) hasn't had a terrific injury recovery, and Davenport didn't perform the way many hoped she would.

In both cases, the cast of lower-top 10ers filled the void imperfectly. Most of the 2004 cast of characters stuck around (Myskina didn't, Dementieva pretty much has, Sharapova and Kuznetsova definitely have). The 2008 cast of characters consist of Jankovic, Safina, Dementieva, and (I suppose) Kuznetsova. Of those 4, I'd reckon Safina sticks around for 5+ years in the top 5 and environs, Jankovic has 5+ years in the top 5-15 range, Kuznetsova has 5+ years in the 5 and 10, and Dementieva has about two years of steady top 10er status left in her. Comparable, I suppose, to Sharapova (Safina now), Dementieva (Jankovic now), Myskina (Dementieva now), and Kuznetsova (Kuznetsova now).

The rest of the players of the future are u20s. Radwanska, Azarenka, Wozniacki, Cornet, Cibulkova, Vaidisova, Szavay, and so on.

I don't know where this post came from. It's just kind of rambled on until it reached its current state. My apologies. I should sleep more.

AnnaK_4ever
Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
nope all of the top players were injured for the most part of the year including justine and kim

Like who exactly?
Serena who played 12 tournaments including three slams and YEC to 13 tournaments including three slams and YEC in 2002?
Venus who played 16 tournaments and all four slams and would have played YEC had she qualified?
Davenport who played 17 tournaments including four slams and YEC and posted her career best winning streak going into USO?
Mauresmo who played 17 tournaments including four slams and YEC and posted her career best win-loss record?
Myskina who enjoyed her career best season?
Kuznetsova and Sharapova who stormed into Top-10?

Expat
Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Like who exactly?
Serena who played 12 tournaments including three slams and YEC to 13 tournaments including three slams and YEC in 2002?
Venus who played 16 tournaments and all four slams and would have played YEC had she qualified?
Davenport who played 17 tournaments including four slams and YEC and posted her career best winning streak going into USO?
Mauresmo who played 17 tournaments including four slams and YEC and posted her career best win-loss record?
Myskina who enjoyed her career best season?
Kuznetsova and Sharapova who stormed into Top-10?

venus and serena were nowhere near their 2003 form coming after injuries
and justine kim were ruled out for large parts of the year
and they were the top 4 players of the previous year
sharing all slam finals between them
and 13 of 16 SFs between them if i am correct (14 if the absence of Serena and Venus from USO 2003 is taken into account)

mauresmo and davenport i can agree with

OsloErik
Oct 21st, 2008, 08:00 PM
We well see next year (if she is still playing) if she is for real

Why wouldn't she still be playing next year? She hasn't been very injury prone since she was 17.

Sean.
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:40 AM
:sobbing:

kman
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Wozniacki is getting all the hate at the moment, that's why. Nothing left for Safina :lol:

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Maybe she doesn't have many haters because Dinara:
is known as sweet, likable, and unpretentious off the court.
has worked very hard on her skills, conditioning, and mental control, things people like to reward.
when losing a tough match, shows her vulnerability.
has been the underdog for so long.
belongs to the muslim faith, looks racist to hate her.
must put up with her insufferable lootish brother --- besides being in his shadow --- so gets the sympathy factor.

Craig.
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Oh no, she has her fair share of haters.

And I'm one of them.

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Safina has worked her ass off this year and is winning left and right. I feel she is at no. 2 after Serena, she has earned her ranking and if she gets to no.1 so be it. She is winning that's the key... winning titles. The good thing is there is no hype, no swimming pool tale, no Siberia hogwash, just meat and potatoes tennis. I like her because she is not trying too hard to be liked by the media. Either you like her or you don't ... it's that simple.

That's it in nutshell. :worship:

theklein
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:17 AM
how times change, she's hated now :sad:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:16 AM

I have to admit I called that pretty well. I should add that I think this obsession this board has about attacking slamless number 1s is quite simply silly and shows a lack of appreciation of the fact that these other 50+ tournaments that get played over the year mean something too.

Winning a Grand Slam is great, it is something you have with you for the rest of your career. Most players would rather win a Slam rather than be number 1. But being number 1 is a completely different kind of achievement and it also says a lot about a player's consistency and ability who win a lot of important matches over the course of a 12 month period. The two things are different. Not all Grand Slam winners will reach world number 1 and not all world number 1s will win a Grand Slam. That's just the way it is.

I will never say a player doesn't deserve to have been number one just because they haven't won a Slam. Just as I will never say a player doesn't deserve to have won a Grand Slam just because they have a low ranking.

Golovinjured.
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
They were late, but they arrived. :hearts:

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I have to admit I called that pretty well. I should add that I think this obsession this board has about attacking slamless number 1s is quite simply silly and shows a lack of appreciation of the fact that these other 50+ tournaments that get played over the year mean something too.

Winning a Grand Slam is great, it is something you have with you for the rest of your career. Most players would rather win a Slam rather than be number 1. But being number 1 is a completely different kind of achievement and it also says a lot about a player's consistency and ability who win a lot of important matches over the course of a 12 month period. The two things are different. Not all Grand Slam winners will reach world number 1 and not all world number 1s will win a Grand Slam. That's just the way it is.

I will never say a player doesn't deserve to have been number one just because they haven't won a Slam. Just as I will never say a player doesn't deserve to have won a Grand Slam just because they have a low ranking.

Another well conceived and argued post by ChrisCHorse. http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/cheers.gif