PDA

View Full Version : Kimiko in MD Tokyo: "I may be beaten completely. [Yet] I'm prepared for it"

spiceboy
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:59 AM
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20080921TDY19101.htm

Date-Krumm--comeback player

Date-Krumm will be playing her first WTA-sanctioned tournament in 12 years. In her earlier career, she ranked as high as No. 4 in the world.

After she made her comeback in April, she won a doubles final and ended up being a semi-finalist in a singles tournament. In May, she overwhelmed the field at the Tokyo Ariake International Women's Tournament.

Date-Krumm has shown no signs of lack of stamina. During her competitive appearances this year, she received large rounds of applause for her "rising shots," returning volleys that seemingly fly on an upward plane.

It is hard to believe that Date-Krumm, well tanned and sturdily built, will be 38 years old on the eve of the opening of the tournament.

She was ranked No. 425 soon after her comeback. As of Sept. 11, she had risen to 264th place.

Compared with the events she has taken part in thus far, the AIG Open may turn out to be a tougher competition because it is sanctioned by the WTA as a tier-III tournament. "I may be beaten completely. [Yet] I'm prepared for it," Date-Krumm said.

She added, however, "I have been feeling something tangible while playing tennis."

Date-Krumm's goal, according to her, is to give stimulus to the tennis world.

*Jool*
Sep 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM
best of luck , Kimiko , I hope you have a good draw and play competitive matches ! :cool:

Kworb
Sep 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Kimiko :hearts:

Golovinjured.
Sep 21st, 2008, 01:22 PM
:inlove:

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20080921TDY19101.htm

Date-Krumm--comeback player

Date-Krumm will be playing her first WTA-sanctioned tournament in 12 years. In her earlier career, she ranked as high as No. 4 in the world.

After she made her comeback in April, she won a doubles final and ended up being a semi-finalist in a singles tournament. In May, she overwhelmed the field at the Tokyo Ariake International Women's Tournament.

Date-Krumm has shown no signs of lack of stamina. During her competitive appearances this year, she received large rounds of applause for her "rising shots," returning volleys that seemingly fly on an upward plane.

It is hard to believe that Date-Krumm, well tanned and sturdily built, will be 38 years old on the eve of the opening of the tournament.

She was ranked No. 425 soon after her comeback. As of Sept. 11, she had risen to 264th place.

Compared with the events she has taken part in thus far, the AIG Open may turn out to be a tougher competition because it is sanctioned by the WTA as a tier-III tournament. "I may be beaten completely. [Yet] I'm prepared for it," Date-Krumm said.

She added, however, "I have been feeling something tangible while playing tennis."

Date-Krumm's goal, according to her, is to give stimulus to the tennis world.

If the interest in this board is anything to go by, Kimiko is succeeding. I think she has been one of the most exciting and inspiring stories in tennis this year. Hopefully next year she will take the Kimiko show on the road too. :rocker:

ce
Sep 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM
what a woman
i hope she goes deep in the draw :worship:

SV_Fan
Sep 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
I hope she becomes a Mertina N. Beating the young guns.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 21st, 2008, 04:25 PM
Awesome article:cool:! Good Luck in Japan, KIMIKO! :kiss: I really hope she gets a winnable 1st rd match up :bounce:

Davodus
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM
good luck kimiko!

i hope she does well and takes out some younguns!

Kai
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM
Good luck Kimiko :hearts:

hankqq
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:24 PM
cool :cool: I hope she can keep it going. It's great that some of the older players are giving the pro tour another chance. First Schultz-McCarthy, now Date. :)

Sund7101
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:28 PM
Can't wait Kimiko, I really am loving this comeback!!!

Just waiting for you to reenter the Top 100.

Good Luck!!! :worship:

OsloErik
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:38 PM
How can AIG afford to sponsor a tournament? Don't they need a bunch of money from US taxpayers? Weird.

ANYWAY, I hope Kimiko can make it far at the Tier III. Tier I was a little much, obviously, but she should be able to hang with most players in the 50-100 range. I hope, at tleast.