PDA

View Full Version : Anne Keothavong: Still cringing at my crush on Michael Phelps

spiceboy
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:50 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article4794174.ece

From The Sunday Times

September 21, 2008

Anne Keothavong: Still cringing at my crush on Michael Phelps

British tennis player Anne Keothavong on ducking gunfire and being tongue-tied by a swimming legend

How satisfying has it been to break into the top 100? It’s taken longer than I would have liked and there have been a few setbacks along the way, but I’m here now and looking forward to the next challenge of breaking into the top 50. I’m proud to be the British No 1 and hopefully I can set a good example to the younger girls

How difficult is it spending so much time away from home? I’ve been travelling since the age of 11 to compete in tournaments abroad so I got used to being away from home from a young age. I come from a close family and I miss them, especially my little brother Mark, who’s 10 years younger than me. The upside is that I get to meet so many different people and experience different cultures for a job I love to do

Tell us about the tournament earlier this year in Beirut The frightening thing was not knowing if the fighting would spread and the threat of being shot at if we tried to cross the border. I was convinced one night they were fighting in the area we were in but the “bombs” and “guns” turned out to be a thunderstorm. It took me half an hour of hiding under my duvet before I realised it.

A few years ago you came back from a career-threatening injury. What did that teach you about yourself? One of my favourite quotes is by Vince Lombardi: “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” I can relate to that. My knee injury was one of many setbacks I’ve had in my life and I feel tougher for it.

Recently you had breakfast next to Michael Phelps. How did you get on with him? I had breakfast on the table next to him for 10 days but I couldn’t bring myself to say anything because I found him really attractive. The US Olympic swimming team were staying at the same hotel as us in Stanford before they left for Beijing. I was in awe of him, especially when he walked into the hotel from training with his top off. Just for the record, I was pointing out the cute guys to my coach, Claire Curran, before I knew who he was. Claire kept telling me to talk to him but I have no game when it comes to that. I mean, how difficult can it be to say “Good morning” to someone? Pathetic!

Has it been difficult to be a British woman player when the spotlight has been on Tim Henman, Greg Rusedski and now Andy Murray? Those guys deserve all the attention they get because they’ve all been incredibly successful at the top of the game.

Your brother umpires but have you ever loudly questioned on-court decisions by other officials? All the time. It’s tough being an umpire as you’ve only got a split-second to make a decision but sometimes in the heat of the moment the umpire is the easiest person to get annoyed with. I would make a really bad umpire because I wouldn’t be able to hold back if a player gave me abuse.

You come from the East End of London - are you excited about the 2012 Olympics? I was gutted not to have made the cut in time for Beijing and I heard so many good stories from the other tennis players about it, but it makes me determined to compete when it’s on my doorstep.

Who has been the most influential figure in your career? My dad was the one who pushed me and kept encouraging me when I was younger and has always had my best interests at heart. He gets nervous whenever I play.

How often do you feel the need to throw off the tennis clothes and glam up a bit in a nice dress? I wish I had the chance to do it more often. I like getting dressed up and feeling really feminine. Good presentation in everyone is important.

What sort of music do you put on to psyche yourself up and what music helps you to chill? I have a playlist on my iPod which I like to listen to before matches. It includes upbeat songs from the Arctic Monkeys, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Snow Patrol. When I’m chilling out I listen to soft rock and pop.

A QUESTION OF TASTE

Favourite holiday destination? Laos
Favourite tennis event or location? Wimbledon
Favourite cuisine? English pub food
What country would you like to visit but haven’t yet done so? South Africa
Is it West Ham, Tottenham, Arsenal or maybe Leyton Orient? Arsenal
George Clooney or Brad Pitt? George Clooney
Glass half full or half empty? Half full

LudwigDvorak
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM
my crush on Janovic is better. :sobbing:

Jakub
Sep 21st, 2008, 12:44 PM
:rolls:
go Anne

Ciarán
Sep 21st, 2008, 12:54 PM
:lol:

No Name Face
Sep 21st, 2008, 01:29 PM
Anne sounds like a cool chick, plus she's pretty hot.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Sep 21st, 2008, 03:25 PM
Anne seems like a really down to earth person. I wish her continued success of the WTA. I hope she does break into the Top 50 soon.

cellophane
Sep 21st, 2008, 04:15 PM
Oh no! Not Phelps, Anne!

JAMESYBABY!
Sep 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
i love Anne hahaha shes so cool :):)

she needs a rest tho ,,this year has been long for her,,,,

maybe go see phelps :lol:

markdelaney
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:50 PM
Realistically she should be looking forward to her next challenge of staying in the top 100. Results like the one this weekend won't help that cause.

patch.
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:53 PM
Anne seems like a really down to earth person. I wish her continued success of the WTA. I hope she does break into the Top 50 soon.

Seconded. :)
Anne :inlove:

serenus_2k8
Sep 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Realistically she should be looking forward to her next challenge of staying in the top 100. Results like the one this weekend won't help that cause.

:woohoo: Anne found her first hater!! :rocker:

Europe rocks
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:06 PM
Anne :) That interview was going so well until the football question ;)

hankqq
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM
good interview :).

Nice to see Keothavong doing well these days. :)

Apoleb
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
Tell us about the tournament earlier this year in Beirut The frightening thing was not knowing if the fighting would spread and the threat of being shot at if we tried to cross the border. I was convinced one night they were fighting in the area we were in but the “bombs” and “guns” turned out to be a thunderstorm. It took me half an hour of hiding under my duvet before I realised it.

:eek::haha:

Well at least she realized what the daily life of a Lebanese is.

frontier
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:13 PM
Phelps is ugly...jacked up grill and face

améliemomo
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:52 PM
michael phelps attractive??

yes she is funny,very funny:lol::dance:

azza
Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:18 AM
Anne sounds like a cool chick, plus she's pretty hot.

no shes not

Drake1980
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
eeeeeewwwwww Michael Phelps! :o

OsloErik
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:50 AM
Well, when you're British and grew up in the Thatcher era, I suppose teeth aren't a big concern.

miss_molik
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:05 AM
phelps is not ugly! He's goofy and sexy

PamShriver
Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:19 AM
Anne is a total dish. Great bod and fantast accent. Don't diss the Keo!!!

markdelaney
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
:woohoo: Anne found her first hater!! :rocker:

There is a difference between being a hater and being realistic. Unfortunately many fanatics on here seem to have a mental situation where they can only either:

1: Have orgasms every time they think of a player and exaggerate a moderate performance at a minor tournament into being worthy of having a national holiday for the country.

or

2: wish the player dead

My opinions is that one win over Schiavone doesn't suddenly make Anne a top 50 player (like it didn't for Baltacha when she beat Srebotnik at the Australian Open).

Keeping it realistic, Anne has lost this year to Bychkova, Cohen, Osterloh, Craybas, Errani, Zhang, Herzog, Foretz, Wickmayer, Rybarikova, Rodionova, Zahlovova-Strycova, Voskoboeva, Niculescu (twice), Larsson and Lisjak. If you're aiming for the top 50, those are not good results.

Her ranking is already down to 84 as of this week (before the loss to Cohen) and with tougher 1st round draws at Wimbledon and the US open this year, Anne would be ranked only 125, just 1 point and 1 place ahead of Elena Baltacha.

I wish Anne all the best and I repeat, consolidating her place in the top 100 should be her first goal for now.

Cilla
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Phelps AND Arsenal. Anne, you are my kind of girl :D

Monica_Rules
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Anne :lol:

Farina Elia Fan
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
nice interview

wales1994
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM

Everyones allowed 1 bad tourny :L

I hope she breaks top 50 she has such a nice game and attitude hope she does well in the GS's next year :)

Serval
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Is it West Ham, Tottenham, Arsenal or maybe Leyton Orient? Arsenal

I love you Anne!

^bibi^
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
hmmm Phelps :drool:

Pamela Shriver
Oct 11th, 2008, 08:57 AM
How times change. In my day I'd be interviewed and Donny Osmond was my crush.

markdelaney
Oct 11th, 2008, 09:19 AM
How times change. In my day I'd be interviewed and Donny Osmond was my crush.

who ? :D