PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams and Venus Williams training at age 7 and 8 - Filmed by Richard W

Dodoboy.
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckHICAhqkCQ

Look what i found :inlove:

Thought i would remind you of their achievements ;)

What talents even at that age :hearts: I wish my dad was Richard :awww:

Lucemferre
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:15 AM
You can see why Serena turned out to be the better player mentally. Venus was always the star in the family. Lil' Serena was so jealous :devil:

Both of them :hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts:

-Sonic-
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM
Thats great.... not often we get to see something like that :)

Bartosh
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
amazing :bigcry: they are so sweet :hearts:

Dodoboy.
Sep 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM
i LOVE vee's little monologue! :awww:

Serena didn't even get a racket on camera, poor thing :awww:

MarieC
Sep 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM
That's great!

Ciarán
Sep 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM
'Sereeener' :lol:, thats a gem, not often you get to see something like that! No grunts!! =O

irma
Sep 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM
i LOVE vee's little monologue! :awww:

Serena didn't even get a racket on camera, poor thing :awww:

I can imagine little Serena going home and "hurt" all Venus dolls :devil:

M-K
Sep 21st, 2008, 04:39 PM
aw.. That is so cute.. Wish we could've seen Serena as well though..
It is so 'inspirational' their whole story.. I think it's really interesting.. Love to see videos like this.. wish I could see 6-year-old Sharapova hitting up against the wall in Rusisa ;)

Dodoboy.
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM
There is a great one of Agassi as a 6 year old :hearts:

I love Vee's backhand at that age !

Demska
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:09 PM
--------------> Player Forums <-------------

The Dawntreader
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:14 PM
Wow, Venus was so good so early:eek:

Just shows what a great teacher Richard was to his girls. He moulded them into all-court players. Notice how he kept telling Venus to come forward. He didnt just want them to have the comfort blanket of hitting winners from the baseline.

Great vid, how shy Serena was. Nothing like today:lol:

hankqq
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the great find Dodoboy!!!! :hearts: From 20 years ago :worship:

Serena was so shy back then :eek:

Tennisstar86
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:17 PM

2 players here.....hater

anyways... lol Who'd have thought Venus was more of a diva at that age than Serena....

-sugi-
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM
2 players here.....hater
Um, Williams Tennis Association Forum.
http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

~Cherry*Blossom~
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM
:awww: Serena is so cute, especially at the end.

Optima
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:28 PM
:inlove:

Both were cute kids.

I may think Richard is annoying from time to time, but he seems like a great dad.

Leo_DFP
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
Fascinating video! Great to go back in time and see how Richard worked to produce two amazing champions.

I thought it was funny, yet fitting, that Venus missed about 4-5 swinging forehand volleys in the net but zero swinging backhand volleys. Sign of things to come for her. Always steadier and more precise on the backhand.

Wiggly
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM
Venus looks like Snoop Dog with her long coat. :lol:
Nice video.

Dodoboy.
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM

That's for when they play doubles ;)

vettipooh
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM

Swoop! Be gone!! :lol:
All I can say is this is one hell of a f*cking unique tennis story that will never be duplicated in our lifetime. :hatoff: to Richard for living and fulfilling a dream. Oracene must have thought that he was as crazy as a fox!:lol: Serena was just sooooo cute :hearts:....Vee was Daddy's little girl and Rena wasn't having that!!

Dodoboy.
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know who the video was for?

The person Richard get going on about?

Uranium
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM
People who aren't even fans watch the video so I think it should be here.
Also, I think Richard worked them hard so young, Venus looked exhausted when hitting those swinging volleys, but all that hard work ended up becoming a good thing as that is her best shot:inlove:

Dave.
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM
So cute :awww:

I liked when Serena said "thank you daddy", I love American accents :lol:

Who was the guy the video was for? Did he help them or something?

Leo_DFP
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM
Also, I think Richard worked them hard so young, Venus looked exhausted when hitting those swinging volleys, but all that hard work ended up becoming a good thing as that is her best shot:inlove:

And this was filmed in the late 80s, correct? NO ONE taught swinging volleys then! Richard Williams, like him or not, was a genius in many ways.

Dodoboy.
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM

It won her all those titles in London :drool:

Dodoboy.
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM
And this was filmed in the late 80s, correct? NO ONE taught swinging volleys then! Richard Williams, like him or not, was a genius in many ways.

I was thinking that too! Because sammy01 was commenting on Kimiko learning swinging volleys lately and that it wasn't used so much in the 90s (during Kimiko's career). That video was shot in 88 i think seeing as Serena was 7?

It definitely wasn't used then.

court70
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Thank you daddy.....so sweet.

Kworb
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know who the video was for?

The person Richard get going on about?
http://www.vicbraden.com/index.html

Dodoboy.
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:33 PM
I hope they got in :hearts:

But who cares, now :lol:

Ciarán
Sep 21st, 2008, 07:06 PM
I think I'm a Vee and Ree fan now :eek:

Optima
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:19 PM
I think I'm a Vee and Ree fan now :eek:

Me too :lol:

hotandspicey
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:37 PM
:awww: Daddy's little girls, now Grand Slam champs.:hearts: Rena is just too cute in that vid.

Il Primo!
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:15 AM
Serena was so cute :lol:

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:48 AM
that was amazing! i love richard williams.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 22nd, 2008, 02:25 AM
Anyway, wonderful and inspirational video of two tennis legends. BTW isn't it interesting how even then it was the forehand technique that Vee suffered with ;):lol:

dreamgoddess099
Sep 22nd, 2008, 02:45 AM
It sounds like Oracene is holding the camera. If you listen closely you'll hear Richard ask Brandy to move up with the camera. Brandy is the name they called Oracene. I remember seeing the name Brandy under her anytime they would show her in the earlier matches. I think they just caught wind that her real name was Oracene in about 02 when she and Richard got divorced and she went back to Oracene Price.

Uranium
Sep 22nd, 2008, 02:47 AM
It sounds like Oracene is holding the camera. If you listen closely you'll hear Richard ask Brandy to move up with the camera. Brandy is the name they called Oracene. I remember seeing the name Brandy under her anytime they would show her in the earlier matches. I think they just caught wind that her real name was Oracene in about 02 when she and Richard got divorced and she went back to Oracene Price.

:lol:, So Richard made her change her whole name, from Oracene Price to Brandy Williams and then back to Oracene Price:haha:

Dodoboy.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
I love the name Brandy :inlove:

Leo_DFP
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Also, Vee's forehand technique is so different! The way she took back her racquet. She raised it very high at the start of her swing. Of course you can say, "Oh, well, she was only 8, so of course her motion will change." But sometimes it's hard to change something when you get used to it.

Dodoboy.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Her backhand is kinda still the same. The way she holds the racket means it's going to be more of a solid shot and also the way she stands to hit the ball.

Analysis on a 8 year old :rolls:

égalité
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM
Love it :hearts:

People don't give the Williams sisters enough credit for being good tennis players. They're great athletes and they hit the ball hard, blah blah blah, but pretty much anyone fits that description today. The Williams sisters have the uncanny ability to hit the ball hard and in. Like at the same time. :eek: That comes from technique. Maybe I'm going soft as a H8R(!!111!1), but you have to at least respect their ability. Even a little.

friendsita
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:10 AM
just lovely

VRee_Willario
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
Thta's so cute when they are posing and dancing a little in the beginning and Venus has that big, furry coat :D They look full of energy and excited on the court :D. Both so talented. Richard was such a calm and wise coach and think he had only learned tennis at adult age from instructional videos and books. Tremendous :D

MLF
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:20 AM

I'm glad it was posted in GM or I wouldn't have seen it, I don't go into the player forums that often.

Thanks for posting to the thread starter.

VRee_Willario
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Yeah this GM thing would be pretty empty If all the threads about some certain player would be just posted in the player's forum. ;)

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
:cool:lovely video,Richard is clearly a loving father...even when they were young the power was still there
love you girls!:hearts:

grudpill
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
The thing this video tells me most, is that Richard Williams is ridiculously underestimated as a tennis coach, till this day.

People tend to view him as some eccentric kook who basically got lucky by fathering two naturally great athletes, put some tennis rackets in their hands and basically that's the extent of his influence and expertise. It's often claimed that the Williams sisters only really learned to play tennis when Richard introduced them to "real" coaches. Even that well known hater of women's tennis, one slam wonder Pat Cash, always critcises any percieved weaknesses in the game of Venus and Serena, as the result of Richard not being a "real" coach (16 singles slams between them suggests different).

Bullshit. Richard Williams taught himself to be a brilliant and adept tennis coach. He may have done it by cribbing his knowledge from secondary sources (tennis books, videos ect), but once he gleaned that knowledge, he knew exactly what he was doing. Those kids had game at such a young age, and that can only be because of Richard.

I think Richard Williams could pretty much mould anyone with potential into a great tennis player. He didn't simply get lucky with Venus and Serena. They are so good, because he was so good.

When you look at the lack of tennis champions being produced in America, you have to wonder why the US tennis association don't go cap in hand to Richard Williams and ask him to impart his techniques, mental excersises and so forth into training young American tennis players.

Richard has been patronised as a marginal kook for so long, that he's arguably become one of the most wasted resources in American tennis. If the establishment treated him with a bit more deference and respect, he might have done some significant things to improve the state of American tennis, apart from his daughters.

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
The thing this video tells me most, is that Richard Williams is ridiculously underestimated as a tennis coach, till this day.

People tend to view him as some eccentric kook who basically got lucky by fathering two naturally great athletes, put some tennis rackets in their hands and basically that's the extent of his influence and expertise. It's often claimed that the Williams sisters only really learned to play tennis when Richard introduced them to "real" coaches. Even that well known hater of women's tennis, one slam wonder Pat Cash, always critcises any percieved weaknesses in the game of Venus and Serena, as the result of Richard not being a "real" coach (16 singles slams between them suggests different).

Bullshit. Richard Williams taught himself to be a brilliant and adept tennis coach. He may have done it by cribbing his knowledge from secondary sources (tennis books, videos ect), but once he gleaned that knowledge, he knew exactly what he was doing. Those kids had game at such a young age, and that can only be because of Richard.

I think Richard Williams could pretty much mould anyone with potential into a great tennis player. He didn't simply get lucky with Venus and Serena. They are so good, because he was so good.

When you look at the lack of tennis champions being produced in America, you have to wonder why the US tennis association don't go cap in hand to Richard Williams and ask him to impart his techniques, mental excersises and so forth into training young American tennis players.

Richard has been patronised as a marginal kook for so long, that he's arguably become one of the most wasted resources in American tennis. If the establishment treated him with a bit more deference and respect, he might have done some significant things to improve the state of American tennis, apart from his daughters.spot on:worship::worship::worship:

grudpill
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
spot on:worship::worship::worship:

It's beyond weird. Sadly, I think racism is part of the reason Richard Williams isn't given his full due as a brilliant coach. I think in the tennis world, people had a hard time believing that a black man that talks and acts the way he does (as opposed black men who talk and act "proper" like Arthur Ashe, James Blake or Barack Obama) could have a brilliant analytical mind for coaching tennis techniques. It's much easier to write him off as some clownish, ebonics spouting black man from the ghetto who spawned two-super athletes who never learned how to play tennis until he introduced them to knowledgeable white men.

Richard Williams is a perfect case study for never judging a book by it's cover. I think some people are starting to get it now, but if they wised up 10 years ago, there could be another Venus or Serena around the corner among younger American players.

Marcell
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
Richard Williams deserves to be heard, not just seen

By Roy S. Johnson / Y! Sports Blogs

Richard Williams was right.

He told us his little girls from the 'hood were going to be unlike anything we've ever seen.

He told us they were going to dominate, that they would win Grand Slam titles, that they would be No. 1.

And he told us they would do it his way. That they would do it their way, without taking the traditional path to success.

He was right. Beyond right.

His girls, Venus and Serena, have won 16 Grand Slam singles titles between them, and both have been No. 1 in the world. Serena is now No. 1 again, capping a stirring resurgence from injury and tragedy by defeating No. 2-ranked Jelena Jankovic 6-4, 7-5 to win the 2008 U.S. Open late Sunday night and recapture the top ranking.

Two years ago, she had been ranked 126th in the world.

This summer, Venus won Wimbledon for the fifth time.

Richard Williams was right.

So when is the tennis establishment going to acknowledge it?

When will it recognize him for accomplishing something they have not been able to do – produce champions?

Moreover, when will the tennis elite bring him into the fold? When will they ask Williams to share his methods and philosophies, his techniques and strategies.

Oh, that's right. Richard Williams is a little eccentric, isn't he? He can be unpredictable and, well, even a bit wacky.

He's not one of us.

Please. The USTA should be as wacky. It should go crawling to him and, at least, ask him to be an adviser to its efforts to create the next wave of tennis stars.

Because whatever it's doing, it isn't working. Go ahead, name the brightest young star in American tennis …

Thank you. There really isn't one – not compared to the wave of foreign-born young stars that is rising towards the upper echelons of the sport and challenging and pushing today's powers.

Not a single American among them.

USTA, call Richard Williams. Walk up to him in the stands (where he's often relegated as a bit of a sideshow) and invite him to the president's box. Embrace him.

Not that Williams would come, of course. Not that he would even accept the USTA invitation to help or advis.

Truth is, the USTA needs Richard Williams more than he needs it.

But that shouldn't matter. American tennis needs Richard Williams – and every bit of his wackiness.

The USTA should be so wacky – and successful.

frenchie
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
What I find interesting is that Richard was already teaching his daughters to hit drive volleys in practice!
This video was probably taken in 1988 when that shot wasn't even introduced as a real shot in the game!!:eek:

Richard was really a visionnary coach:worship:

VRee_Willario
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Richard was and is just an amazing coach and had the wisdom and understanding of the whole game of tennis from early on when he decided he was going to coach Venus and Serena to be two rare talents and top tennis players. He clearly knew what he was going to do and he had just the right formula to achieve success. They were poor and living in a poor area and had very little equipment to train tennis and were training on the public courts which was occasionally very dangerous as there were drive by shootings and things like that. In those conditions Richard succeeded and Venus and Serena achieved the extraordinary talent to make them once become multiple Grand Slam champions :)

bestseller
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
One day Richard should write a book about bringing up champions

VRee_Willario
Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Richard is planning/preparing some kind of a book I believe

eugreene2
Sep 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Their story is really amazing. The fact that Venus is hitting in jeans is hilarious. Poor, playing on broken-down courts with bullets flying and now I'm seeing them practice in jeans. Lawd help!!!

frontier
Sep 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Richard is clearly a great Dad who has a good relationship with his children..

Marcelo.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
:hearts: :)

Dodoboy.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM

Richard has been patronised as a marginal kook for so long, that he's arguably become one of the most wasted resources in American tennis. If the establishment treated him with a bit more deference and respect, he might have done some significant things to improve the state of American tennis, apart from his daughters.

Too true!

hankqq
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
at the time, I believe only Seles hit those swinging volleys, and I'm not sure if Richard had even heard of her in 1988?

Anyway-great work Dodoboy. :yeah: You've managed to soften at least a few non-Serena and Venus fans with this video! Keep up the propaganda and soon this place will be renamed Williamstennisforum.com :rocker:

stevos
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Shocking we get this great insight into their young life. Awesome!
Venus and Serena were so so cute. "Hello Vic Braden..." *runs back to Dad.

And yeah, Richard and the girls are such an inspiration, really. I can't imagine how hard it must've been, going through all the motions, all the doubters. But it still happens, so what can you do? Keep fighting. :hearts:

Serenita
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Shocking we get this great insight into their young life. Awesome!
Venus and Serena were so so cute. "Hello Vic Braden..." *runs back to Dad.

And yeah, Richard and the girls are such an inspiration, really. I can't imagine how hard it must've been, going through all the motions, all the doubters. But it still happens, so what can you do? Keep fighting. :hearts:
Yeah, What a inspiration they are!:D

brickhousesupporter
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Oh wow how interesting....would have loved to have seen more of Serenas game, but this video was made to shocase Venus and help her get some experience.

Destiny
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
:inlove:

Destiny
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
All this makes me feel like crying all the doubters all the criticise all the rejects all the insult breaks my heart but am soo glad they made it :sobbing:

AlwaysGraf
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
I'm not a WS fan but that was cute :)

debopero
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
g-h-e-t-t-o

debopero
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
that was too cute

Dodoboy.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Venus was so shy!

I love the monologue Richard made her do :haha:

You're welcome guys :)

le bon vivant
Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
lmao..poor Serena. Where was she? :lol:

RenaSlam.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
LOL, they are exactly the same as they were, movements-wise. Great to see. Thanks.

Denise4925
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:46 PM

Other posters, besides their fans may and obviously do want to see this. It doesn't make sense to put in player forum, just because you and one other person doesn't want to see it.

Sorry to clog up GM with non-tits and ass related threads. :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Love it :hearts:

People don't give the Williams sisters enough credit for being good tennis players. They're great athletes and they hit the ball hard, blah blah blah, but pretty much anyone fits that description today. The Williams sisters have the uncanny ability to hit the ball hard and in. Like at the same time. :eek: That comes from technique. Maybe I'm going soft as a H8R(!!111!1), but you have to at least respect their ability. Even a little.

:yeah: :lol: Glad you're finally coming around egalite. I think :unsure: You're just far too intelligent not to be a fan. ;)

Denise4925
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM

The whole post, but most especially the last paragraph is spot on. Great post. :worship::worship::worship:

grudpill
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
The whole post, but most especially the last paragraph is spot on. Great post. :worship::worship::worship:

I've seen Rick Macci (the first coach who worked regularly with Serena and Venus after Richard. Macci started working with them at the ages of 9 and 10) claim in interviews that Venus and Serena had no tennis technique at all before he met them and had no idea how to hit a ball properly), Macci says he wasn't going to bother coaching them, but saw Venus great had athletic potential a because she was walking on her hands and did some cartwheels:rolleyes:

Obviously Venus (or Richard) didn't know jack about tennis, but Mr Macci took pity on the poor girl and decided to give her tennis skills, because she knew how to walk on her hands and cartwheel. I've never heard such nonsense in my life. And this video kind of disproves Macci's lies.

Macci was clearly a bullshit artist, who wanted to take credit for teaching Venus and Serena the fundementals of the game. I think a lot of the tennis establishment believed it as well (as if Richard could actually teach them how to hit a ball properly), which is one of the reasons Richard hasn't been credited as much as he deserves. At the age of 7 and 8, in this video, it's clear that Richard had already instilled solid technique in both Serena and Venus. Anybody who saw them would know these kids could play, and had the fundementals in place.

donniedarkofan
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckHICAhqkCQ

Look what i found :inlove:

Thought i would remind you of their achievements ;)

What talents even at that age :hearts: I wish my dad was Richard :awww:

Sooo these are the courts with guns and gangs all over the place? Ghetto courst,right? This doesn's look dangerous at all:drool:

Denise4925
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
I've seen Rick Macci (the first coach who worked regularly with Serena and Venus after Richard. Macci started working with them at the ages of 9 and 10) claim in interviews that Venus and Serena had no tennis technique at all before he met them and had no idea how to hit a ball properly), Macci says he wasn't going to bother coaching them, but saw Venus great had athletic potential a because she was walking on her hands and did some cartwheels:rolleyes:

Obviously Venus (or Richard) didn't know jack about tennis, but Mr Macci took pity on the poor girl and decided to give her tennis skills, because she knew how to walk on her hands and cartwheel. I've never heard such nonsense in my life. And this video kind of disproves Macci's lies.

Macci was clearly a bullshit artist, who wanted to take credit for teaching Venus and Serena the fundementals of the game. I think a lot of the tennis establishment believed it as well (as if Richard could actually teach them how to hit a ball properly), which is one of the reasons Richard hasn't been credited as much as he deserves. At the age of 7 and 8, in this video, it's clear that Richard had already instilled solid technique in both Serena and Venus. Anybody who saw them would know these kids could play, and had the fundementals in place.

Well, anyone who wears a rug like that clearly a bullshit artist. :lol:

But, I didn't believe the walking on her hands bullshit either, because I know these tennis gurus will not even look at a kid if she doesn't at least have some technique and potential.

Nemo_Kool
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
wkd post dodo.....WS have one of the best sport stories ever...just amazing to see a video from so long ago and the belief Richard had in his kids...

Denise4925
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
I wonder if Vic ever called them. If he didn't, I bet he's kicking himself in the ass right about now. :p

court70
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:52 PM
Mary shitrillo was talking that shit at the USO final when Serena hit a ball kinda awkard and then she claims that S&V don't have good technique and that is why they are always injured...then she tried to clean it up with talking about atheletic ability:rolleyes:

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
The "Hello Vic Braden" speech was *dead*

TOO Adorable. And they were STRAIGHT hood in their poses :lol:

V-MAC
Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:50 AM
just awesome :worship:

Dodoboy.
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:55 PM

Yeah, Venus espiecally!

Yonexforever
Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
What if S & V financed a tennis school for Richard, do you think we would see some more stars in the future?

harloo
Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
ROTF @ the sisters posing in the beginning. Venus with her coat is just too much and Serena is so cute at the end. I couldn't figure out which one said, "Thank You Daddy" after Richard said great serve. That was funny.:lol: