Temperenka
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:34 AM
Dominant. Well done, Dinara!

Svetlana.
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:34 AM
Safina is officially the best Russian player at the moment

Roookie
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:35 AM
Third Tier I title of the year. No. 3 player in the world!!!!!.....

bestseller
sAFINA IS ON A ROLL WHAT A YEAR FOR HER:worship:
WHAT WILL BE HER RANKING AFTER THIS

silverwhite
Sveta :silly: Didn't seem to have a game plan out there. Dinara was too good in the first set but when her level dropped in the second, Sveta failed to take advantage...

Ben.
Sveta :sad: :sobbing: still without a title this year. This must be frustrating for her, a few times where she held gp's & lost them. But she still had a good week though :hug:

Congrats to Dinara, she was the better player who took her chances & was mentally tougher.

Emina.
:(

Harju.
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:36 AM
Congrats Dina :drool:.
Playing with a lot of confidence. Just way too good for Sveta today. Serve wasn't as impressive as yesterday but it was still miles better than usual with 7 aces and 5 DFs. Lots of :drool: winners. Disappointed that there are no come-ons or whatsoever though.

Sveta :hug:

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:36 AM
safina is going to claim that #1 spot pretty soon if she keeps going like this.

poor sveta, she had her chance in that second set to come back. :hug:

RJWCapriati
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:37 AM
Hot streak continues for Dinara and Svetlana's sad streak in finals continues also.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dinara :woohoo: Awesome work :yeah: No. 3 :drool:

Temporary0369
This is a shock for me. Honestly. I had absolutely no inclination that Kuznetsova would get destroyed in a final. Who could have possibly seen this coming? It's madness I say. First the sky is all blue today when I wake up and then this happens. I don't know the signs of the apocolypse off the top of my head but surely these have to be two of them.

Really though, talk about bridesmaid. Poor Sveta needs to get beta (I slay me!) when it comes to handling finals.

Temporary0369
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:38 AM
Oh ps, congrats Dinara! Good job keeping the double faults in check and still racking up those aces.

Emina.
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
she`s so useless in finals it hurts :(:(:(

Cp6uja
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
Better player won. Simple.

Safina is officially the best Russian player at the momentI know that Myskina and Kuznetsova won slams, but last 4 Safina months is best "half-season" which any Russian WTA player played ever (if we not count Sharapova). GS final, OG silver and 3 tier-I titles (with 10+ TOP10wins, another GS SF and tier-II title) in just 4 months!

Noctis
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:40 AM
GO CATTFINA :woohoo: :woohoo: rest easy expect withdraw from Beijing.

Bероника
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:41 AM

Good week though,I was not expecting a final here.Please,withdraw from Beijing.

Hingiswinsthis
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:43 AM
i don't even want to know kuznetsova's record in finals over these past couple of years, its really getting frustrating to see her yet again a bridesmaid. of course no one is going to call her that because of that one precious slam title...
but yea yea yea to sweetheart dinara once again :-) props to you girl...at least win the YEC if you are going to make a run at Serena Williams's #1 by the end of this year. you can do it! :-D

Dinayer
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM
Dinara :bounce: :bounce:

congrats!

:D

sveta :hug:

bestseller
sAFINA WILL BE NO.2 AFTER NEXT WEEK SHE IS ON A ROLL,IF SHE REACHES THE SEMIS OR BETTER THAN jANKOVIC

BuTtErFrEnA
i'm still trying to figure out what that was from sveta :o

enchantrezz
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:48 AM
well done Dinara :hug:

Sveta looked tired to me in the match, she has been playing since fed cup last week anyway but she really tried ...the better player just won.

Cp6uja
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:50 AM
sAFINA WILL BE NO.2 AFTER NEXT WEEK SHE IS ON A ROLL,IF SHE REACHES THE SEMIS OR BETTER THAN jANKOVICSF will not be enough, because according to Beijing draw her opponent in that SF will be Jankovic...

Kampi
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM
Congrats Dinara (what the hell is "wrong" with you?:lol:):worship::):worship:
Sveta...argggg...:hug: But in the end it was a good tournament for her.

Sander.
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:56 AM
Dinara, from what planet you are?
Svetlana hadn't one chance to win:yeah:

Adal
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:57 AM
Dinara just doesn't look back :speakles:

Sveta :(

azinna
Sep 21st, 2008, 07:06 AM
Woah.

Nice seeing Dinara taking these big titles.

But Sveta needs to do something, anything, about her performance in finals.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 21st, 2008, 07:09 AM
Sveta :o :smash: When do you want to stop being bridesmaid again?:rolleyes: Pfff...
Dinara ::worship: Expected results. Well done!:yeah: Hopefully she'll continue her hot streak.:D

Zealisa
Sep 21st, 2008, 07:14 AM
Congrats to Dinara! :kiss: Such an easy victory! WOW!:worship:

C. Drone
Sep 21st, 2008, 07:18 AM
nothing to say. :bowdown:

poor Sveta :hug:

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 21st, 2008, 07:37 AM
It is only a matter of time now before Dinara begins to win some Slams and claim the world number 1 ranking. What she has done these last few months has been simply extraordinary.

And the most remarkable thing is the way it just came out of the blue. That result thread that has been bumped on the match with Henin which started it all is a good read. The reaction of a lot of posters at the time was shock that Justine could lose to a 2nd rate player like Safina.

4 and a half months on and I think anyone who follows tennis can now see Safina is very much an elite player capable of beating anyone in the world, indeed, with the possible exception of Serena Williams, I think she probably is the favourite to win now in any match she plays against any opponent on any surface, aside from grass.

starin
Sep 21st, 2008, 07:47 AM
It is only a matter of time now before Dinara begins to win some Slams and claim the world number 1 ranking. What she has done these last few months has been simply extraordinary.

And the most remarkable thing is the way it just came out of the blue. That result thread that has been bumped on the match with Henin which started it all is a good read. The reaction of a lot of posters at the time was shock that Justine could lose to a 2nd rate player like Safina.

4 and a half months on and I think anyone who follows tennis can now see Safina is very much an elite player capable of beating anyone in the world, indeed, with the possible exception of Serena Williams, I think she probably is the favourite to win now in any match she plays against any opponent on any surface, aside from grass.

uhhh no.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 21st, 2008, 07:49 AM
uhhh no.

And in what non grass match and against an opponent not named Serena Williams would you make Safina the underdog in then? ;)

howardean
Sep 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM
Better player won. Simple.

I know that Myskina and Kuznetsova won slams, but last 4 Safina months is best "half-season" which any Russian WTA player played ever (if we not count Sharapova). GS final, OG silver and 3 tier-I titles (with 10+ TOP10wins, another GS SF and tier-II title) in just 4 months!

but um....why wouldn't we count sharapova?

starin
Sep 21st, 2008, 07:57 AM
And in what non grass match and against an opponent not named Serena Williams would you make Safina the underdog in then? ;)

Pova. and Ivanovic.
but right now Pova is out. And Ivanovic is in a mini slump. And top 10 is uber weak so i guess your statement is right. I was thinking more in general not right now at this moment. Cuz well the only tournaments being played until the end of the year on tour are hard right now.

I'd say she's the favorite against Venus but I in no way would think it's in her hands to win that match on hard.

And on clay I wouldn't say she's the favorite against Jankovic either.

markhingis
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:20 AM
congrats Dinara. hope you'll reach no 1 soon!

Dodoboy.
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:25 AM

Elena, Maria, Ana.

lilimi
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:28 AM
WOW! :bounce::yippee:
congratulations dinara :D
:hug: sveta.
i hope dinara won't play next week. the end of the season is still long, and usually, players that do well over the last months of the season are totally tired at the beginning of the next one.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:34 AM
Elena, Maria, Ana.

Safina is 5-3 career vs Dementieva and has won 3 out of the last 4 against Sharapova too, who it must be said is now a question mark regarding her future, until she shows she is recovered from her rotator cuff injury. As for Ana, well, Safina has just won three Tier 1s in the last 4 and a half months. That is as many as Ivanovic has won in her entire career. Yes, Ana beat Safina in the final of Roland Garros, but I think Safina has raised her game yet another level since then.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:36 AM
Pova. and Ivanovic.
but right now Pova is out. And Ivanovic is in a mini slump. And top 10 is uber weak so i guess your statement is right. I was thinking more in general not right now at this moment. Cuz well the only tournaments being played until the end of the year on tour are hard right now.

I'd say she's the favorite against Venus but I in no way would think it's in her hands to win that match on hard.

And on clay I wouldn't say she's the favorite against Jankovic either.

On clay against Jankovic, that's a good one. Yeah, that might be 50/50. Would be a good match to see. Quite possibly the RG final of 2009.

Malva
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM

She is a favorite. No guarantee that she will of course continue with this splendid form into 2009. But at the moment I have no doubt who is the best player in the World with a possible exception of Serena. I wish they play against each other soon. It looks however that this will not happen before YEC.

*Jean*
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:40 AM
Kuzzy :o

Mashafaaaaan
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM
Safina is 5-3 career vs Dementieva and has won 3 out of the last 4 against Sharapova too, who it must be said is now a question mark regarding her future, until she shows she is recovered from her rotator cuff injury. As for Ana, well, Safina has just won three Tier 1s in the last 4 and a half months. That is as many as Ivanovic has won in her entire career. Yes, Ana beat Safina in the final of Roland Garros, but I think Safina has raised her game yet another level since then.

She won 2 matches on clay and 1 on carpet, beside Maria should win those 3 matches easily, she lost herself, Safina is the best russian right now because Maria doesn't even play, we can't compare Safina and Maria, get over it. Safina always needs 3 sets to beat Maria even on clay:lol::lol:

Ballbasher
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:48 AM
Sveta :o :hug: But with that final record and just coming from Spain late must have made it tough.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:50 AM
She won 2 matches on clay and 1 on carpet, beside Maria should win those 3 matches easily, she lost herself, Safina is the best russian right now because Maria doesn't even play, we can't compare Safina and Maria, get over it. Safina always needs 3 sets to beat Maria even on clay:lol::lol:

All but 1 of those matches were prior to Safina establishing herself as an elite player. We will see what happens when Sharapova returns next year. As things stand, I would expect Safina to beat Sharapova most of the time they play regardless of the surface. Feel free to bump this comment if it proves terribly mistaken.

Mashafaaaaan
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:05 AM
All but 1 of those matches were prior to Safina establishing herself as an elite player. We will see what happens when Sharapova returns next year. As things stand, I would expect Safina to beat Sharapova most of the time they play regardless of the surface. Feel free to bump this comment if it proves terribly mistaken.

You expect to see Safina dominating the real Sharapova on hardcourts, on grass and on carpet, oh please even on clay she has trouble.

Dodoboy.
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:05 AM
She is a favorite. No guarantee that she will of course continue with this splendid form into 2009. But at the moment I have no doubt who is the best player in the World with a possible exception of Serena. I wish they play against each other soon. It looks however that this will not happen before YEC.

They did have that USO SF, but Safina looked razzled that day. Serena v Safina would be a great YEC final :) (play-off for #1 is suspect)

laurie
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM
Congrats to Safina :clap2: I'm surprised (maybe I shouldn't be?) Sveta went down so easily, for lack of a better description almost like surrender.

Well someone was asking about Sveta's final performances the last 2 years - it's not good. Last year she lost 5 finals and this year she has lost 4 finals so far. However, in 2006 she won 4 finals out of 5 played (losing the French to Henin).

I have two of those finals on youtube, the 2006 Miami final against Sharapova and the Beijing final against Mauresmo - in both of those matches Sveta looks in control against top class opponents, she looked strong, agile, going for her shots and making them.

For me, the problems started in the 2007 Indian Wells final against Hantuchova, she went into the final as the heavy favourite and was even saying beforehand that she always does well against Hantuchova and went on to lose quite tamely in straight sets - since then she has certainly lost the knack and her confidence in finals. It's an issue she needs to address urgently. The final she did win in New Haven, she lost the first set and was a break up in the 2nd then Szavay had to retire with a bad back.

Because what's really frustrating is this (and even non Sveta fans might agree), she's losing many finals to players who are not actually better than her - it's now all in the mind. let's hope Sveta can turn this problem around soon with her new coach which I understand she has, they can work on those issues in her next time off.

:hug:

Medina
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
Dinara

when are you going to loose?

waterlily_021989
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM
Good job Dinara:D

Sveta:hug:

Duramont
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:32 AM
9th title for Dinara! :aparty: :banana:

TennisFanForever
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:36 AM
Svetlana :shrug: I expected a little more than 4 games :tape:

Congrats to Safina once again.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:36 AM
Another title for Dinara :bounce: Only 5 games lost in total in the semi and in the final. Wow :worship:

Sveta, good run to the final :hug:

ciprianned
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM
Dinara :bounce: :D

babuska6
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:44 AM
Wow I am so surprised Sveta was without chance,it looks that Safina played her best tennis in Tokyo..Congrats ;)

Marionated
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:51 AM
Another final lost Sveta :sad:
Well done Dinara :worship:

enchantrezz
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
Quotes after the final:

"Dinara played unbelievably well today. She was the favourite to win and she did it. She definitely has what it takes to be number one." - Kuznetsova

"God knows how far I can get! I knew I still had so much more inside it suddenly clicked in my mind." - Safina

AnnaK_4ever
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM
Kuznetsova's record in Tier II and above finals fell to 5-16.

svetaisthebest
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
Retire Sveta

You cant win titles

Really stupid girl

yeah so because she got to a tier 1 final she should retire:help:

Sveta :sobbing::hug: she wasn't really in the match today.Dinara played great so congrats to her:worship: and Sveta made way too many unforced errors and didn't take her chances in the first set.

Iceland
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:35 AM
Impressive run from Dinara :yeah:. She really deserves her top 3 ranking, 3 Tier I won, a GS and Olympic final, wow what a year :yeah:!!!!!

Kuznetsova as usual is the disappointed finalist. But this week was probably her best one in ages, she defeated players who beated her in the last weeks. Nice reaction after a long period of stagnation.

Hashim.
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:35 AM
Dinara:bigclap:

KV
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:42 AM
Dinara :)
Sveta well done to make the final

Noctis
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
She won a Sushi dishe :lol:

anon57
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:50 AM
:woohoo: Dinara, another title this year, I really hope she can hold on to this form long enough to win a GS.
:hug:Svetlana, her record in finals really has been:help: the past two years, but she played some good matches this week and hopefully this means she returning to form.

Mr.VenusWilliams
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:53 AM
Good job Dinara. :D

Brena
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Dinara :bowdown:
Sveta and final matches :help: :hug:

gmak
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
dinara :yeah: :woohoo: ;) another title, she keeps on rolling and now #3 :drool:

sveta :sad: :hug: another final loss, but this week she played much better and took down some big scalps :)

Matt01
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM

Yes, Maria beat herself :rolleyes:

And I thought those ridiculous excuses were reserved for Serena (and Venus).

simplydeep
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:10 AM
Hmmmm at the moment she is playing well and you all know it is easy to rise up the rankings and harder to stay there. next years season is not to far away and Safina is going to be a very busy girl with all that pressure. Don't be so quick to hit on Svet because she dindn't or hasn't won a title in a while on hard courts yet she has stayed in the top ten a while with consistent tennis.

Agata.
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM
Dinara :eek:

Tatianadove
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:30 AM
Dinara!!!:worship::worship::worship: Well done!!:bounce:
Svetochka:kiss: I still believe in Sveta! This final was also very good result for her.:):worship:

.:sk:.
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
Dinara :worship: :yeah:

ce
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM
:worship:

meb
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:53 AM
Congrats Safina!

Sveta Runner-upova :rolleyes:

Renalicious
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
Wow. Goodness. she's on a killing spree.

shirley
Sep 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM
Well done Dinara :yeah:

Rerun
Sep 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM
After Moscow I think Dinara will become the new n.1
It's really impressive the level of her game but seems she's expressing a tennis near to her best and maybe it's for this reason he did not win all the important tourneis since RG. Maybe it's because in those moments she feels nervous and we can see it with the fact her tennis becomes less natural with many unforced errors.
So probably she'll be the new n.1 and will deserve that ranking for how she's playing but a player like that is really a right n.1?

Mashafaaaaan
Sep 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM
Yes, Maria beat herself :rolleyes:

And I thought those ridiculous excuses were reserved for Serena (and Venus).

I don't know about Venus and Serena, but it's sure for Sharapova, Moscow, Sharapova leads 6142 and totally choked, and the last two matches on clay, Maria lead 576251, the other one, Maria had a Mpoint:shrug:
She certainly knows how to beat Safina(even on clay), she just choked everytime she has to end the match, anyway, I don't care, at her real level, Maria crushes Safina.:wavey:

Matt01
Sep 21st, 2008, 12:49 PM
I don't know about Venus and Serena, but it's sure for Sharapova, Moscow, Sharapova leads 6142 and totally choked, and the last two matches on clay, Maria lead 576251, the other one, Maria had a Mpoint:shrug:
She certainly knows how to beat Safina(even on clay), she just choked everytime she has to end the match, anyway, I don't care, at her real level, Maria crushes Safina.:wavey:

Whatever, dude.

Pova got outplayed by Safina on clay, deal with it :wavey:

Ciarán
Sep 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
I love you Dinara! Well Done, total OWNAGE :armed:

Dorien.
Sep 21st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Dinara :woohoo:

But Sveta :hug:

Ellery
Sep 21st, 2008, 01:34 PM
Svetlana :fiery:

Congrats Dinara.

FedererBulgaria
Sep 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM
:drool:

Safina is officially the best Russian player at the moment

Not only russian!She is the BEST player at the moment!

Blu€
Sep 21st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Dina :worship::worship: nice score, Sveta is no opponent for u! (at least in finals!):help:

Dodoboy.
Sep 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM
:drool:

Not only russian!She is the BEST player at the moment!

Nope. She could only win 5 games from the best player in the world :) :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 21st, 2008, 03:04 PM
Froget what i said earlier in the week about Dina making a run to keep inside the year end top 5:eek:. She is making a run for year end no 1 now! :worship: CONGRATS!

Sveta << :hug:

Slutati
Sep 21st, 2008, 03:06 PM
Oh no :rolleyes:

Bijoux0021
Sep 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
Congrats Dinara. :worship:

Too bad for Sveta. She has not done well in finals at all. :sad:

Olórin
Sep 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
Nope. She could only win 5 games from the best player in the world :) :)

Very true.

WF4EVER
Sep 21st, 2008, 03:24 PM
Wow, Dinara. Too bad you didn't win a slam this year, but keep it up, ntl.

Craig.
Sep 21st, 2008, 04:22 PM
:sobbing:

Svetlana, you're fucking useless.

Dinara, stop winning.

vettipooh
Sep 21st, 2008, 04:30 PM
Congrats Dinara! Nice title run. :yeah: Sveta :hug: She's got to do better than finals...not good enough.

Demska
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
Amazing Dinara ! :worship:

Truly deserving #3 :D !

AcesHigh
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Venus, Serena, Maria please come back and put Safina back in her place :( Everyone else is too pathetic to stop her.

Anyway.. congrats to Dinara... and Kuznetsova, get some help please.

wuthering
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
Sveta :hug: Next time will be better. It must be :)

Tennisstar86
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:12 PM
HAHAHA who hasnt Sveta been a bridesmaid too.....

azinna
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
It is only a matter of time now before Dinara begins to win some Slams and claim the world number 1 ranking.... I think she probably is the favourite to win now in any match she plays against any opponent on any surface, aside from grass.

Hey Chris, I agree completely with your assessment of Dinara's remarkable progress since the spring, excepting the first and last sentence, which you've already started to tone down with the following question:

You're right in saying she's favorite in most non-grass match-ups, underdog in a select few (against a well-playing Serena, Maria and Ana). But I'd also add that things are still in the "toss-up" zone against folks like Venus and Elena.

Also not sure it's only a matter of time before she starts winning slams (in the plural?). It could be a matter of mettle and mental disposition. Keep in mind that she is still on the up-slope, in the process of reversing head-to-heads (e.g Petrova). The mental work it takes to climb toward the top is different from what it takes to stay there, handle the pressure of being the real and declared fave, and perform well enough to win several slam finals....

hablo
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Well done, Safina! :banana:

Can you give your bro some tips, by any chance ? :p

slamchamp
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:43 PM
svetlana is pathetic in finals, she just can't win them

Svetlana.
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Venus, Serena, Maria please come back and put Safina back in her place :( Everyone else is too pathetic to stop her.

It's the dumpiest comment ever I've seen comming from you...

Amalgamate
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:15 PM
:worship: Great tournament Safina!

ce
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:19 PM
safina is just too good :shrug:

pov
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:28 PM
Retire Sveta

You cant win titles

Brilliant! So let's see - that suggests players who often make finals and don't win should retire. So what about players who hardly ever make it to finals. Should they also retire? Um- yeah like I said - brilliant.

Congrats to Safina.

LindsayRulz
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:20 PM
Dinara :yeah:

Demska
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:22 PM
Just watched some highlights, Dinara smacked Sveta off the court, so confident on both sides and movement was amazing, and serving was too. Just outplayed in every department

zveeen
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM
congrats Safina

soomaal
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:43 PM
Dinara well done! You make me proud as a fan, unlike Venus outside of Wimbledon grrr! I've not seen the match but you truly seem to be playing wonderfully. Hopefully you'll take Moscow and YEC and so become number 1# asap!!

Poor Sveta, you had a good week but work on that mental block in finals.

goldenlox
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
It was good to see how Svetlana and Dinara are such good friends. Probably from their Beijing experience.
They are both going to be around for a while.

homogenius
Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:28 AM
Safina was just too good, very impressive.
Sveta in finals : definetely hopeless

Corswandt
Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:30 AM
Shit hot tennis from Dinara. Very focused and sharp - even reflex ROS were sometimes outrageous winners.

Kuznetsova was completely overpowered in nearly every rally. Safina's ability to hit deep, powerful shots even when stretched and on the run has never looked more impressive. She also took the ball much earlier than she usually does (hence those reflex, almost half-volley winners), and took time away from Kuznetsova, who couldn't deal with the hectic pace of some of the rallies at all. Those running DTL BH passes :hearts: Some good "strike first or die" tennis, a few excellent rallies with both players ripping the cover off the ball, but this was mostly Safina's show.

I fail to understand why Kuznetsova is considered to be a versatile, talented player in some quarters when she plays like an impatient, erratic basher 99% of the time (and gets away with it way too often). Granted, there wasn't much she could have done today (maybe serve a higher %), and she was understandably jetlagged/tired from Fed Cup final.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:32 AM
The more talented player Kuznetosva lost :sad:

I hate this game

cometz9
Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:32 AM
Congrats to Dina :clap2: :banana: wise decision to withdraw from Beijing. Good Luck in Stuggart.

Sveta :sad: not surprising besides the scoreline. I hope she continues this form in Beijing.

Sharapowerr
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:25 AM
Svetlana s reaction after the match : Offcourse she s got a good chance to become number one , Her basic hits ( how do you say it??) are better then Jankovic ... and Serena isn t playing that much.

Probably i translated it not correctly here it is in dutch :

"Ik moest vandaag de druk hoog houden," legde Safina uit. "Het was belangrijk dat ik alle kansen greep. Ik denk dat ik deze week mijn beste tennis gespeeld heb," toonde Safina zich tevreden. Het zusje van Marat Safin stijgt met haar vierde toernooizege van het seizoen (ze won al in Berlijn, Los Angeles en Montréal) naar de derde plaats op de wereldranglijst. "Ze maakt kans op nummer één," oordeelt Kuznetsova. "Haar basisslagen zijn beter dan die van Jelena Jankovic... en Serena speelt niet zo heel veel."

Beat
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
what a great year for safina, it's all paying off now, isn't it?

kuzzy :hug: her confidence going into finals must be superlow.

Matt01
Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
The more talented player Kuznetosva lost :sad:

I hate this game

And I hate stupid posts like this.

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
And I hate stupid posts like this.

:lol:

cn ireland
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Congrats on another title Dinara:yeah:.

She thoroughly deserved this title with a fantastic performance in the final!! In this kind of form I think a Slam victory is inevitable:D!