PDA

View Full Version : Hopman Cup 2009

améliemomo
Sep 19th, 2008, 03:31 PM
France name strong Cup team

FRENCH hopes of a first-up Hopman Cup tennis triumph have been given a massive boost following confirmation that Alize Cornet will team up with Gilles Simon to represent the country.

Cornet, ranked No. 18 in the world, burst onto the scene at the Italian Open earlier this year when she beat Serena Williams, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Anna Chakvatadze en route to the final.

Simon is ranked No. 17 in the world and has won three ATP tournaments this year.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,20797,24370814-23210,00.html

great team:hearts:,alize annunced it in beijing and now its official.
Simon is great player and they both come from the same town in France.

Dinayer
Sep 19th, 2008, 07:34 PM
love the team :hearts:

justine schnyder
Sep 20th, 2008, 07:42 AM
:awww: GL to them!!

Dorien.
Sep 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Nice to see :)

améliemomo
Sep 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM
:awww: GL to them!!

why this smiley?you dont agree with that?you think she shouldnt play this?

améliemomo
Dec 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM
France had a very good shedule imo since they'll play Taiwan for the first match, the weakest team of the group.
Russia and Italy will face one day after on session 2.

shedule of play:

Hopman Cup, Group B

03/01/2009 - France-Taiwan

A. Cornet - S-W Hsieh,

G. Simon - Y-H. Lu

G. Simon/A. Cornet - Y-H. Lu/S-W Hsieh

06/01/2009 - France - Italy

A. Cornet - F. Pennetta

G. Simon - S. Bolelli

G. Simon/A. Cornet - S. Bolelli/F. Pennetta

08/01/2009 - France - Russia

D. Safina - A. Cornet

M. Safin - G. Simon,

M. Safin/D. Safina - G. Simon/A. Cornet

09/01.2009-Finale
Winner of group A vs Winner of group B

Dorien.
Dec 12th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Good luck to France :rocker:

saint2
Dec 12th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hopman Cup, Fed Cup... well, they don't give points.

Anyway, good luck ;)

améliemomo
Dec 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Its good experience for her.Every great player has participated to those events.She will face very good players there and will progressively get used of the AO surface in order to be ready for the slam.

I just hope she'll put some great fights there against safina and pennetta, that she would prove to all the haters(and she has) that she is not "a claycourt extremist":sobbing:

she has a good partner as simon there,they could do a good hopman cup I think.
Allez!

Dinayer
Dec 15th, 2008, 01:47 PM
cant wait :drool:

Allez!

améliemomo
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:02 PM
here a quote from gilles simon about the hopman cup,look at the end of the article

Simon to hunt down big three
1st January 2009, 15:45 WST

World No.7 Gilles Simon showed he could beat the likes of Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic in 2008 but now the Frenchman wants to inflict pain on the world’s top three tennis players where it hurts the most - the grand slams.

Simon stormed into the top 10 for the first time in ’08 on the back of three title wins and a semi-final appearance at the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai.

But despite his rise into the top echelon of men’s tennis, the 24-year-old was left disappointed by a string of sub-par performances in the grand slams.

Last year, Simon failed to make it past the third round of the Australia Open, Wimbledon and the US Open, while he was bundled out in the first round at Roland Garros.

Simon admits he needs to be more consistent in 2009 and said his goal was to push for semi-final or final appearances at the majors, starting with January’s Australian Open.

“I want to play better in the slams because I played a great year this year but I didn’t reach the third round in any slam so that’s one of my goals this year,” Simon said.

“The top four players now are very far ahead, even if it’s only three places before (me).

“They are really better than us and that’s why I have to play good in the slams because that’s the difference.

“If I am able to reach a semi-final or a final in the slams, then I’ll try to get them (the world’s top four).

“The difference is not on the court when you play against them, because we saw last year I can defeat these players.

“But I know that during all the year they are far better, so that’s the difference.

“You have to be at the top every week.”

Simon will kick off his preparation for the Australian Open by partnering world No.16 Alize Cornet at the Hopman Cup in Perth - a mixed teams event that kicks off on Saturday.

The third-seeded French will take on Chinese Taipei, Italy and Russia in their group stages.

Australia, who will be represented by a fit-again Lleyton Hewitt and Casey Dellacqua, take on Germany, Slovak Republic and the US on the other side of the draw.

Simon has a current doubles ranking of 278 and admitted both himself and Cornet would be relying on wins in their singles matches in order to reach the final.

“We are not counting on the doubles,” he said with a laugh.

PERTH

well at least he is honest!:haha:

Dinayer
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:15 PM
:lol:

Good luck Alize!

cant wait :D :D :D

justine schnyder
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:50 AM
:lol:

well, he is honest :lol: But I do hope atleastt they'll manage to have fun out there.
Allez :hearts:

améliemomo
Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
ah ah,dont worry I think gilles is a very funny guy and they will have some fun there:drool:

sebdenice
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
How can you think that she's a clay extremist when I remember her match against Serena during Olympic games?
Whatever GL to them

améliemomo
Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
from the hopman cup website:)

Session 1 - France 3 d Chinese Taipei 0

* Alize Cornet d Hsieh Su-Wei 6-4, 6-4
* Gilles Simon d Yen-Hsun Lu 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
* Cornet/Simon d Hsieh/Lu 6-4, 7-6 (11-9):drool::cool:
http://hopmancup.com/upload/images/imgSession1Wrap.jpg
Alize CornetFRANCE has started its quest for a first Hyundai Hopman Cup title perfectly, defeating Chinese Taipei 3-0 to claim the opening Tie of the 21st staging of the tournament.

France comes into the Cup as the No. 3 seeds but with an incredibly talented team consisting of 18-year-old world No. 16 Alize Cornet and world No. 7 Gilles Simon.

The Chinese Taipei team return after an impressive outing last year and career-best years on Tour, but Su-Wei Hsieh and Yen-Hsu Lu just fell short against their higher-ranked players.

Cornet began with a solid 6-4, 6-4 win over Hsieh, with Simon's 6-3, 7-6 (8-6) win over Lu tying things up for France. The French also went on to win the mixed doubles 6-4, 7-6 (11-9).

While Simon has been in Perth acclimatising for much of the week, Cornet only arrived on Friday but is glad to begin with a good win.

"I just arrived yesterday so I felt a bit sleepy, but it's good because I could play a match and I won it in two sets. It's really positive to win in two sets against this kind of player because she played really good," Cornet said.

Simon wasn’t overly happy with his performance in the second set, which went to a tie-break, but was happy to escape with the straight-sets win.

"In the first set I played great tennis and then I was up 3-1 in the second but lost my concentration. He played better as well and finally I was a little bit lucky because I think I should have lost the second set," Simon said.

In the women's match, the first set remained on serve through the first eight games until Cornet was able to grab the first break of the tournament to go up 5-4. She then went on to hold serve to close out the first set before Hsieh required some treatment on her neck.

Hsieh was fine to continue soon after but Cornet was able to also maintain her slight advantage in a tight set, to claim it 6-4 to close out the win on her first appearance at the Hyundai Hopman Cup.

Simon then stepped on a court for the first time since the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup in November to take on Lu, who had got as high as 61 in the ranking after appearing at last year's Cup.

Simon quickly shot out to a 4-1 lead in the first set and took it out 6-3 to be looking in the form of 2008 that saw him become the only player to beat Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic.

Simon again looked on track to dominate the second set racing to a 3-1 lead, but then Lu showed his grit by winning three straight games to take a 4-3 lead. Games then remained on serve as the two went into the first tie-break of the tournament.

It was a hard-fought decider as well with Simon eventually prevailing 8-6 to claim the win and the Tie for France.

Having played two Asian Hopman Cups and one Hyundai Hopman Cup together already, the Chinese Taipei's doubles prowess was on show early racing to a 4-2 lead, but Cornet and Simon then won four straight games to take the set 6-4.

It was a tight battle in the second with it going to a tie-breaker, in which Cornet and Simon triumphed in 11-9 to wrap up the Tie 3-0.

good start even if there were some "up and downs" lol
they also won the doubles, gilles much more surprised and happy than alize:lol:
they seemed to really enjoy the event here

russia/italy tomorrow:devil:

go alize take some sleep to recover from the jetlag:secret:

améliemomo
Jan 3rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
some pics of alize and gilles

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188831&d=1230969637http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188832&d=1230969637
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188833&d=1230969637http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188836&d=1230969637
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188830&d=1230969637

she seems to have gained some muscles,she looks more muscular no?:scratch:

améliemomo
Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
the magic double team:)

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/afpji/20090103/newsmlmmd.0d3adc2202bd0c2a7c77fcc0c89cad7a.010b.jp g
http://i.eurosport.fr/2009/01/03/489753-3820653-317-238.jpg

Dinayer
Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
OMG :inlove:

Well done, guys :rocker2:

Allez!

améliemomo
Jan 3rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
another alize reaction on foxsport.com

Simon's win gave France an unassailable 2-0 lead after Alize Cornet, ranked 16 in the world, defeated Su-Wei Hsieh 6-4 6-4.

But it was a rusty performance from Cornet, who struggled to find her feet after only arriving in Australia on Friday.

"I just arrived yesterday so I felt a bit sleepy," Cornet said.

"But it's good because I could play a match today and I won in two sets, so that was really positive because I didn't feel good to play a third set like that.

"At the beginning, I was really moving like a cow on the court.(this quote reminds me of someone there:drool:

"It was crazy, but after it was better." ]

améliemomo
Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.sylphea.net/elphidia/img/484791a198a76e9effce313b797d794b/hopman.jpg

justine schnyder
Jan 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks!! :D

They look so cute :awww: Hopefully we'll see them on slams together or something ;)

Dorien.
Jan 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Great beginning from the season :)

Dinayer
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
http://www.sylphea.net/elphidia/img/484791a198a76e9effce313b797d794b/hopman.jpg

Awwww such a cute pic :hearts:

améliemomo
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks!! :D

They look so cute :awww: Hopefully we'll see them on slams together or something ;)

well perhaps,who know?but as simon stating he wanted to focus totally on making better results on slams,dont know if mixed doubles is somethng he planed to play as the new number 7 ranking.

Between I hope alize to play better against pennetta cause apparently her match today was:help:

améliemomo
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Awwww such a cute pic :hearts:

you want more?:)simon looks so funny lol,always smiling:kiss:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188844&d=1230995206
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188847&d=1230995206
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188850&d=1231004598
i like new alize outfit,that s cute:)

justine schnyder
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
The first pic :awww: So cute!
The second :lol:
Tanks for the pics AmelieMomo :)

And yeah, I hope today Alize was just adjusting and everything, and against Pennetta we'll see what she can really do.. Allezzzzzz!!!

Dorien.
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Strange, i cannot see the pics :scratch:

Dinayer
Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
you want more?:)simon looks so funny lol,always smiling:kiss:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188844&d=1230995206
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188847&d=1230995206
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188850&d=1231004598
i like new alize outfit,that s cute:)

thank you :)
but I cant see the pics :sobbing:

Dinayer
Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Now, yes :inlove:
I loveeeeeeee the first pic :inlove: :inlove:

améliemomo
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Italy Looks to Stay Alive Against French Stars
6/01/2009

By Chris Pike

FRANCE's talented duo of Alize Cornet and Gilles Simon will be out to remain undefeated in the Hyundai Hopman Cup against an Italian team needing a win to stay alive.

Italy's Flavia Pennetta and Simone Bolelli have plenty of quality about them, but unluckily Russia's Dinara Safina and Marat Safin outpointed them on Sunday before the Italian pair scored a three-set doubles win.

France's Cornet and Simon are coming off career-best years and showed why beating Chinese Taipei 3-0 on Saturday to kick off the tournament. They did it in style as well with all three wins coming in straight sets.

With a 3-0 career win/loss record against their opponents, Italy will like their chances of upsetting the fancied French team as well.

The women's match looms as one of the highlights of the week as world No. 13 Pennetta battles No. 16 Cornet. The pair have met twice before with Pennetta winning on both occasions, which were at the Acapulco tournaments the last two years.

A third win here will give Italy the chance to win its first Tie of the tournament and to remain in the hunt of making Friday's final.

Cornet began her first Hopman Cup campaign on Saturday with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Chinese Taipei's Su-Wei Hsieh, while Pennetta lost to world No. 3 Safina 5-7, 3-6.

Simon and Bolelli have met just the once on the ATP Tour, with the Italian prevailing on home soil at the Masters Series Rome last year.

Simon, who was the only player to beat Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic in 2008, started his Cup career with a 6-3, 7-6 win over Yen-Hsun Lu, while Bolelli was overwhelmed by an on-fire Safin to go down 6-7, 4-6.

Both teams are coming off mixed doubles victories on their first attempt as well, so that could be another thrilling contest with four of the best rising European players on court together.

from the hopman cp official website.

ALLEZ FRANCE!ALLEZ ALIZE!

will be tough against penetta but she can do it.:)

justine schnyder
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Allez France, Allez Alize ;)

(Credit to Ameliemomo ;) )

Dinayer
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Good luck France :D

Alize can beat Flavia, Allez!!

Alizé Molik
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Penneta played incredible against Safina so Alizé needs to haveupped her game since the last match.

Kovalchuk
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Alizé beat Pennetta, much better play from her. Though a bit too many dfs, she showed her serve can win her some good points.

in first set, respiratory problem seems bother her, but she say it's normal in the interview. maybe still getting used to the climate.

Alizé Molik
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:01 AM
this was exactly the same thing she did last year at the AO round one when i was watching her, having trouble breathing and not looking happy.

justine schnyder
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Gilles :banghead:

améliemomo
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Gilles :banghead:

oh yes:(

what happened to him there?Alize did the job very good by beating pennetta and gilles blow this advantage away.
he had to win his single there,reaaly disappointing from the world n°7

So now Russia would be the leader of group Bcause they'll beat taipei but France and Italia will be 1-1.
This loss sucks a lot cause they'll have to beat russia in the last match

GILLES!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigcry::crazy::sobbing:

justine schnyder
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Does France stioll have a chance to reach the finals from this position?

Yesterday I was thinking that Gilles's match would be the "safe" one ince Bolleli hasn't beaten anyone better than him for ages, and I was worried about Alize's match, (and the doubles too, after what Gilles said :lol:) and then I woke up and saw the opposite :spit:

French team :hug:

améliemomo
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:44 AM
lol its funny cause I wa thinking the same as gilles the better ranked player of the team.I thought he will beat bolleli but well its gillou,he 's "special" lol.Apparently he was tired;

some reactions :

A tough mixed doubles loss for the French, but they are still in it, having lost that match. But Alize, a great mixed doubles, but they were just a little bit too tough.
(Alize) Yeah, we had our chances and we just break in the second set. So we could win the second set, but unfortunately they played better today and congratulations to the Italians. They were really good today. And yeah, we’re disappointed of course. But it’s okay, we still have our chance to go in finals so we will try our best in two days.

You played very well in the singles. You’ve gotta be pretty happy with that performance?
(Alize) Yeah, of course I’m happy. I played good in singles, but you know the most important in this competition is to win the match. You know the team has to win the match, and we lost today. So even if I did well in my singles, I’m really sad over our defeat today.

Well a tough mixed doubles, but a tough singles for you Gilles. You started off in a pretty flat state today after the other day?
(Gilles) Yes, I was not moving like usually. But it’s because I practised a long time during the last day, so I start to be tired. But I, I think I rest tomorrow and I will be ok for, for the Russians.

Well the tactics that Simone used against you today, the little slice backhand, that sort of gave you some trouble?
(Gilles) No, I really improved these kind of shots. But I really need my legs to, to do a, what I have to do to, to fix it. And unfortunately today, was not moving very good.

justine schnyder
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Really gracious from Alize :yeah: :hug:

Gilles :awww: Be fresh for your next matches ;)

Dinayer
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Gilles :( :( :(

Alize :hug: :hug: well done :yeah: what a good win! :banana:

Derek.
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Alizé. :yeah:

Dorien.
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Nice win against Flavia :)

améliemomo
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:25 PM
here some reactions from alize and gilles:)alize seems very motivated and positive right now.Go Alize!

THE French team of Alize Cornet and Gilles Simon missed a chance to set up a strong position for the final going down to Italy on a day that both players moved up in the rankings.

New world No. 15 Cornet began the Session 6 Tie against the Italians strongly beating No. 13 Flavia Pennetta 7-5, 2-6, before new men's No. 6 Simon fell to Simone Bolelli 6-3, 6-3. Italy then claimed the doubles to win its first Tie of the tournament and to be even with France at a win apiece.

Cornet didn't realise she had moved up in the rankings when speaking after the match and she was in some form of shocked joy.

"Me? What the hell, really? Why? I didn’t know this. I am really not concentrating on the ranking and I didn’t know I was 15 today," Cornet said.

"That is really good news. It's only one place I know, but it's my best ranking. We had a bad day on court, but good day with the ranking and we will try to do better in two days time."

Cornet was also delighted in her win over Pennetta and now can't wait to battle Russia's Dinara Safina on Thursday night, in a Tie that will determine the finalist from Group B.

"It was a good test against Flavia and she had a huge year. Dinara did as well and is playing unbelievable tennis when she plays good. I will try to fight to do my best, and I know if I do that I can beat her," she said.

"I am pretty proud of my game today. I played a very good match against Flavia, who I had never won against before. Unfortunately, we lost the doubles and in the end I'm really disappointed because we lost the match.

"I am happy with my singles, though, and it's a good sign for my next match against Dinara because I feel I'm physically and mentally ready. I'm also sure that Gilles will play better."

Now that she's in the top 15, the 18-year-old has every confidence she can move further up.

"Of course I can do better. Come on now, I'm top 15 and my goal is to get into the top 10. It's going to be really hard, but I can do it," she said.

"I'm more aggressive on the court and my tennis is getting better and better, so it has cheered me up today after us losing. I will keep trying to do the best for the future."

Simon was disappointed to lose to Bolelli in the men's, and then with Cornet in the doubles.

"I'm practicing a lot and finally this morning I was pretty tired. I didn’t move like usual and when I don’t feel my legs, it's always harder for me to win. It was a really hard day, but I'm going to rest a bit and hopefully be better in two days," Simon said.

"We had a really good chance to win the second set because it was 5-3 on my serve. That was the only time I lost my serve during the game. We didn’t have the luck on our side and I think they played a little bit better than us."

While Simon was delighted to move up in the rankings to become the top ranked Frenchman, losing two matches straight after dented the high he was on.

"I don’t care about the French ranking, but No. 6 is better than seven and it's the best ranking of my life. It was good news when I woke up this morning, but then I lost two matches," he said.

"Yes, we really want to play the final. We will give everything in the next match and that's why I won't practice much tomorrow to be ready on Thursday. Alize is playing very well at the moment after winning her match in two sets and we are OK."

Simon now looks forward to his first ever meeting with Marat Safin, and possibly the only chance he will get to battle the big Russian.

"I've never played against him and I want to because this is maybe his last year and I really want to play against him because he is, well Marat. I was sad because I didn’t play Agassi before he stopped and I missed two or three chances to do that, so I am really happy to play against Marat right now," he said.

"I don’t know what to expect. He's a very good player and it won't be an easy match. He has a huge serve, very good backhand and can play very good tennis. I just have to rest now to be ready to fight in this match.

améliemomo
Jan 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Alize lost her match against Safina 3-6 2-6,didnt watch the match but the ues stats are quite awful:tape:
22 in her backhand side!:o
gilles won his match but the doubles were just:tape:

well great experience for alize I think:)

now next stop: sydney.

Dinayer
Jan 8th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Alize :hug:

Dorien.
Jan 9th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Allez Alizé! Good luck in Sidney :)

justine schnyder
Jan 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Alize :hug:
I hope the match against Safina is behind her ;)
The doubles :help: what chokes! :o

GL in Sydney :)

Alizé Molik
Jan 10th, 2009, 01:24 AM
poor Alizé had entirely the wrong game plane against Safina..appear to try and outhit her :help:

now on to Sydney!

améliemomo
Jan 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
poor Alizé had entirely the wrong game plane against Safina..appear to try and outhit her :help:

now on to Sydney!

I didnt watch the match,she tried to outhit her?with her backhand I suppose :drink:
perhaps she felt herself very strong to get in the power fight but hum... just not her.:lol:

She's still learning lol,next time she would do differently I think