PDA

View Full Version : Im seeded for the first time in a tournament! How do you cope with pressure on court?

Philbo
Sep 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM
So in the last 6 months, Ive finally started playing some tournaments on the Gay/Lesbian World Tour..

So far Ive played two tournaments, Amsterdam and London and this weekend I have one in Manchester... Due to my results in the first two tournaments (which really were pretty shit!) Ive been made the #7 seed!! I dont like the idea of being the favourite when I come on court.. But I am happy I avoid the top seeds and get a bye in the first round (which means a not too early start)..

But I wanted to have a thread where we all discuss how we personally cope with the mental pressure during a match.. Cuz I find during a tournament match (compared with normal competitive matches with friends), Im a thousand times more tense on court.... I usually start off brilliantly, but as I get into a winning position, my right arm gets so tense that I stop hitting through the ball...

My footwork also goes downhill a bit when the nerves start but I do a little jig etc to remind myself to move my feet.. But I want to learn how I can make myself go back to the relaxed playing state I was in at the start of the match!!

Any ideas??

Philbo
Sep 16th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Ive read a book called 'The Inner Game of Tennis' which is a great read about the mental side of it. That book advises that you just have to somehow find a way to make yourself play each ball as if you were warming up.. But I dunno how the F_ck to do that.. Its almost like a chemical reaction inside my body and my skin feels tingly because of it.. Is that adrenaline?

^bibi^
Sep 16th, 2008, 01:05 PM
the gay/lesbien world tour ? :lol:

What's that... Can everybody play on it no matter what the tennis level is ?

Philbo
Sep 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
the gay/lesbien world tour ? :lol:

What's that... Can everybody play on it no matter what the tennis level is ?

Pretty much! Check out this site

www.glta.net (http://www.glta.net) - its really a gay/lesb tour of North America/Europe.. Not so much a world tour lol.. But they have rankings etc.. 5 different divisions.. Opens, A, B's, C's and D's... The standard is really amazing in the Opens - quite a few ex ITF level type players...

Medina
Sep 16th, 2008, 01:28 PM
in australian jr tournaments i seem to come up against seeds, they just stay calm and relaxed when playing. they dont try to overplay, they play how they play..

good luck bro. :wavey:

^bibi^
Sep 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Pretty much! Check out this site

www.glta.net (http://www.glta.net) - its really a gay/lesb tour of North America/Europe.. Not so much a world tour lol.. But they have rankings etc.. 5 different divisions.. Opens, A, B's, C's and D's... The standard is really amazing in the Opens - quite a few ex ITF level type players...

I'd love to play on the lowest division they offer loool

Philbo
Sep 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I'd love to play on the lowest division they offer loool

PM Me!!