PDA

View Full Version : Big West - 2008 Fall Tournaments

gouci
Sep 14th, 2008, 10:03 PM
9/20/08 Pacific Pro-Am - Pacific

9/20/08 Aggie Pro/Am - UC Davis

9/26/08 Cal Fall Invitational - LBS, Pacific, UC Davis (Cal, Fresno State, Arizona St., BYU, Sacramento St., St. Mary's, Minnesota, Nevada, USF, Arizona, Santa Clara)

9/27/08 Riviera All-American (pre-qualifying) - Cal Poly, UCI, CSUN

9/30/08 Riviera All-American (qualifying) - Cal Poly, LBS

10/9/08 Hawaii Tournament - UCSB (TCU, Hawaii)

10/10/08 Cal State Fullerton Fall Intercollegiates - Cal Poly, LBS, UCI, CSUN, UCR, CSF (UCLA, New Mexico St., LMU)

10/10/08 St. Mary's Invitational - Pacific, UC Davis (Cal, Stanford, Washington, Boise St., St. Mary's, Nevada, USF, Portland, Santa Clara, San Jose St.)

10/17/08 ITA Northwest Regionals - Cal Poly, Pacific, UC Davis (Stanford, Cal, Fresno St., Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Sac St., St. Mary's, USF)

10/23/08 ITA West Regionals - LBS, UCI, CSUN, UCSB, UCR, CSF (UCLA, USC, Arizona St., Pepperdine, SDSU, Arizona, LMU, USD)

11/07/08 San Diego State Fall Classic - UCI (Washington, Oklahoma, Colorado, SDSU, USD)

11/08/08 Cal State Northridge Invitational - CSUN, UCSB, CSF (Pepperdine, BYU, Boise St., LMU)

11/14/08 UC Irvine Invitational - UCI, UCR (LMU, NAU, Montana)

11/14/08 Cal Poly Invitational - Cal Poly, UCSB (USF)

1/16/09 Cal Winter Invitational - Cal Poly (Cal, St. Mary's, Nevada)

gouci
Sep 14th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Jenifer Widjaja puts the "pro" in Pacific's Pro-Am tournament. :lol:

UCSB is going to Hawaii instead of playing the Cal State Fullerton Intercollegiates this year. Guess the Big West will have to wait until the ITA West Regionals to see the 4 new UCSB players in action.

gouci
Sep 14th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Markoff / Matzenauer have been bumped up into the pre-qualifying doubles draw. It will be interesting to see how these 2 play together. Will this team put Cal Poly over the top in winning the crucial doubles point in critical Big West matches?

gouci
Sep 18th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Last year both UC Irvine and Cal State Northridge played in the Hawaii tournament. CSUN had a player from Hawaii, Brooke Doane. UCI had 2 players from Hawaii in Jessica Broadfoot and Heidi Kaloi.
What's UCSB's excuse? :lol:

I wonder if playing in Hawaii was a condition to signing the players from Hawaii or just a perk in the schedule? :lol:

gouci
Sep 21st, 2008, 11:42 PM
UC Irvine's schedule hasn't been released yet but I figured out they will be playing Hawaii and San Diego State in Hawaii starting 1/29/09.

UCI passed on the ITA Team Indoors beginning 2/1/09. Guess they wanted to stay in Hawaii longer instead of playing against Baylor in Waco, Texas. :lol:

form
Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Location... definitely an upgrade :yeah:

Value to the tennis team and conference ranking... :timebomb:

But I guess it is consistent with the general value set of many kids these days too... 'entitlement' over earned results

:sad:

gouci
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Wow looks like you've discovered the "More" link for the smilies. :worship:

Does women's tennis even rank the conferences? If so please show me where to find this information.

1.Even if they have conference rankings this is not like men's basketball where the committee can define their own criteria to selecting the at-large berths. In tennis besides an exception or two, a lower ranked team will not get in over a higher ranked team. They've been doing it strictly by the rankings.

2. Tennis rankings do not work like the baseball or basketball RPI formula where your opponent's opponents are factored in. In tennis it's about your win-loss record and how many other ranked teams you've beaten. The year UCI was eligible for an at-large berth I carefully studied how the rankings worked.

3. In tennis the top 45 ranked teams are almost always locks to get at-large berths. In basketball you can have an RPI of 25 but have your bubble burst because your record against the top 50 wasn't good enough or whatever bogus excuses the selection committee comes up with to get more BCS teams in. Unlike football or basketball, tennis is not biased in favor of the BCS schools. That's why a mid-major school like Pepperdine men can win a national title. A mid-major is not going to win a national title in football or men's hoops.

4. Bottom line is that in tennis conference rankings don't account for anything. However individual team rankings account for everything.

form
Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
ITA slipped up once last year and for about 30 minutes posted the entire 300+ team RPI.... but I can't find that hard copy anymore. It was stunning at some teams in the 200's.

No, never seen an official conference ranking.

Yes, its all your wins/losses compared to your opponents wins losses. So there is no direct math... just in direct. However, the current rankings do under value direct head to head results when seeding the tournaments (team, singles, doubles)

UCI got in to NCAA's based on one 4-3 win over LB... and rode that for nearly a year because of the 'coaches subjective poll' until the computer kicked back in last March... ironically they did not even reach final that year due to injury that season. It would have been interesting if UCI had held onto big lead vs CP in semis and reached a red hot LB in the finals instead. Would have cancelled out the first win in the computer? :bounce:

LB got hurt in reverse last year... easy wins over Arizona (was in 40's then), Purdue (50's then), USD, Penn (held in 50-60) and UCI (30's when beat but fell to 64). If you ever said a BW team would sweep league and beat UA, Purdue, SDSU, USD and Penn all in the same year... and drop to 50... nobody would have thunk it. But everybody went south last year. :fiery:

I'd say # 42 is locked... last year a number of odd results moved some people out of their usual spots (Oregon, UA, some others back east)... :rolleyes:

Conference ranking no... but playing a 'closed' schedule really helps the bottom half teams in the Pac, Big 10 etc who thus get ranked losses instead of losing to non-conference 35-60 ranked teams. A Top 30 ranked loss is a no harm no foul day. Let some other teams beat up the lower end BCS schools a bit more and watch things swing around. But Wazoo and UO manage to split with each other and artificially bolster themselves.

Personally, I would be curious if the NCAA's had a Final 8 like baseball and softball instead of 16... Do a 4 team regional, a 4 team super regional where you would actually see some real competition in the Round of 32 and 16.... and then an 8 team finals. It would make round 3 and 4 much more open to everyone... and be interesting to see the pressure rise at some of those Top 16 schools that 'make it' every year but never advance.
:devil:

gouci
Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
Top singles players

07 Marina Cossou (Cal)
12 Melanie Gloria (Fresno State)
16 Anastasia Petukhova (Fresno State)
19 Nadia Abdala (Arizona State)
20 Kelcy McKenna (Arizona State)
21 Katrina Zheltova (Sacramento State)
22 Claire Ilcinkas (Cal)
26 Danielle Steinberg (Arizona)
58 Maria Mizyuk (Nevada)
62 Jenni Heinser (San Francisco)
64 Hannah Grady (Long Beach State)
65 Bojana Bobusic (Cal)
86 Tinesta Rowe (Fresno State)
91 Caroline Bailly (Nevada)
96 Kristina Doerr (BYU)
112 Jessica Hoath (St. Mary's)

Alessandra Ferrazzi - Minnesota
McCall Jones - BYU

Ranked doubles teams

01 Melanie Gloria and Tinesta Rowe (Fresno State)
08 Renata Kucerkova and Anastasia Petukhova (Fresno State)
13 Laila Abdala and Nadia Abdala (Arizona State)
22 Marina Cossou and Claire Ilcinkas (Cal)
26 Caroline Bailly and Maria Mizyuk (Nevada)
32 Danielle Steinberg and Claire Rietsch (Arizona)
41 Kelcy McKenna and Micaela Hein (Arizona State)

Cal Nike Invitational (http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/092308aaa.html)

gouci
Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Claire Fermin - Rebecca Kwan of UCI and Brooke Doane - Evgeniya Vertesheva of CSUN have been bumped up into the pre-qualifying doubles draw of the Riviera.

Tennisace
Sep 24th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Top singles players

07 Marina Cossou (Cal)
12 Melanie Gloria (Fresno State)
16 Anastasia Petukhova (Fresno State)
19 Nadia Abdala (Arizona State)
20 Kelcy McKenna (Arizona State)
21 Katrina Zheltova (Sacramento State)
22 Claire Ilcinkas (Cal)
26 Danielle Steinberg (Arizona)
58 Maria Mizyuk (Nevada)
62 Jenni Heinser (San Francisco)
64 Hannah Grady (Long Beach State)
65 Bojana Bobusic (Cal)
86 Tinesta Rowe (Fresno State)
91 Caroline Bailly (Nevada)
96 Kristina Doerr (BYU)
112 Jessica Hoath (St. Mary's)

Alessandra Ferrazzi - Minnesota
McCall Jones - BYU

Ranked doubles teams

01 Melanie Gloria and Tinesta Rowe (Fresno State)
08 Renata Kucerkova and Anastasia Petukhova (Fresno State)
13 Laila Abdala and Nadia Abdala (Arizona State)
22 Marina Cossou and Claire Ilcinkas (Cal)
26 Caroline Bailly and Maria Mizyuk (Nevada)
32 Danielle Steinberg and Claire Rietsch (Arizona)
41 Kelcy McKenna and Micaela Hein (Arizona State)

Cal Nike Invitational (http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/092308aaa.html)

That is a very strong singles line-up but I doubt everyone will play. I thought I heard news that Tinesta had turned pro? But I guess not. I'm interested to see how McCall Jones will transition to the college game.

Don't forget there is a live feed for the Cal Nike Invitational as well!

gouci
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:28 PM
That is a very strong singles line-up but I doubt everyone will play. I thought I heard news that Tinesta had turned pro? But I guess not. I'm interested to see how McCall Jones will transition to the college game.

Don't forget there is a live feed for the Cal Nike Invitational as well!Tennisace thanks for the tip about the live feed!

How do you know if someone is playing Future and Challenger Events as an amateur or pro? How do you know someone has turned pro, is there a database on some website to verify this?

form
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Tennisace, do you know the link for this weekend at Cal?

I looked on their web page and did not see one.

Thanks for the tip. It looks to be a mother of a pre-season tourney. Talk about staring off right in the deep end.

Tennisace
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Tennisace, do you know the link for this weekend at Cal?

I looked on their web page and did not see one.

Thanks for the tip. It looks to be a mother of a pre-season tourney. Talk about staring off right in the deep end.

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/video-webcast-07.html

If that doesn't work for some reason, go to calbears.com and go to the women's tennis page. On the left hand side there is a picture of Cristina Visico...that's the link for the live video.

gouci
Sep 24th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Cal State Northridge has changed the team of Doane/Vertesheva into Doane/Kukla and Vertesheva/Jaworowski. CSUN will now have 2 teams in the Riviera prequalifying doubles draw.

form
Sep 24th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Seems like a ton of schools pull kids from Rivi doubles if they don't make singles. Travel or maybe just a bad use of an allowable match date to play in single elimination doubles draw?

Pretty sure I saw a couple of LB pairs in the original wait list but withdrawn within a day or two... if I recall correctly. Kind of amazing that nearly 20 doubles teams have been pulled.

gouci
Sep 25th, 2008, 05:38 AM
The prequalifying draws are out. I don't see any Big West players below advancing.

Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly vs #5 seed Estefania Balda - Clemson

Prequalifying singles
(http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/2008RivieraPQSinglesDraw.pdf)

1. UCI's Fermin/Kwan withdrew.
2. Some doubles partners have changed.

Brady/Matzenauer - Cal Poly vs Craddock/Damico - Texas

Vertesheva/Doane - CSUN vs Ellis/Ueshima - Georgia

Kukla/Jaworowski - CSUN vs Saiontz/McHale - Princeton

Prequalifying doubles (http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/RivieraPQDoublesDraw.pdf)

gouci
Sep 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Here are the Cal Invitational draws. (http://www.tennisinformation.com/tourny/5/1/8/5/2/6/9/draws.asp)

The live feed is not working for me. :mad:
Does Cal have an online scoreboard? :help:

gouci
Sep 27th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Evgeniya Vertesheva of Cal State Northridge has been added to the prequalifying singles draw.
We get to gauge how good she is in both singles and doubles. :bounce:

Evgeniya Vertesheva - CSUN vs McCall Harkins - TCU

Here's the updated prequalifying singles draw. (http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/2008PQWomens_Singles_Draw_(Updated).pdf)

gouci
Sep 27th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Day 1 Big West Observations

1. Why no Jessica Weeks? Does Long Beach State only take 6 players on road trips?
Was she sick, injured ... or is planning to transfer? :lol: Just kidding!

2. Rachel Manasse is playing in the Blue draw and Lisa Sutton is playing in the White draw.
Looks like Manasse has jumped over Sutton on the depth chart.
Props to Manasse for beating Ariane Masschelein who played #3-5 singles for Arizona.

3. Lisa Sutton and Julie Luzar have been relegated to the "bench draw." More than half the players in the White draw are walk-ons or sit on the bench for their teams. Thought would at least get to see Sutton vs Luzar in the finals to see who between them might play at #6 singles.

4. Props to the Long Beach State athletic website for promptly posting their results for Day 1. More than can be said for the host school. :o

5. #64 Hannah Grady (Long Beach State) loses in upset to unranked Alessandra Ferrazi (Minnesota) 6-3, 5-7, 4-6.
Grady did a "Steffi Wong." She won the 1st set but ended up losing in three. :lol:

Day 1 upsets

1. Kristina Doerr (BYU) beats Claire Ilcinkas (Cal) 6-4, 6-2
2. Claire Soper (St. Mary's) beats Abigail Olivier (Fresno St.) 6-0, 6-4
3. Kateryna Nezhura (Pacific) beats Laura Pola (Fresno St.) 6-2, 6-3
- Maybe Fresno St. won't be winning the national title with Olivier & Pola after all. :lol:
4. Sianna Simmons (ASU) beats Stephany Chang (Cal) 6-4, 7-5

form
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Gouci... you are good

# 1 - Someone said minor injury... but no specifics

# 2 - You must have missed where Manasse beat Wetmore 2, 2 in August HB tournament... She advanced to semi's today... Maybe the next Bernhard of Big West? :cool:

# 3 - Just guessing but there is only so much room in each draw... so they worked off similar rankings and experience criteria that you/I do when estimating where to place some draws? :tape:

# 5- Oops... will hurt ranking. Did see where the Minny girl (there # 1) reached finals of their own tourney last week. Better match shape?

Actually looking at the draws, it seems some girls that played last week (Minny, ASU, others) seem to be a step ahead. It's early and it was tight but that is not a good loss. Oh well, I thought we already crowned the BW PofYr to Widjaja anyway?

St. Mary's is going to be really good... Top 40 probably. Added some real strength it appears.

Upsets: Yep, looks on first blush like Fresno two newbies have some work. Danon Beatty is stepping up though. ASU frosh wins tight sets

At Rivi...

Did you see where Blalock has advanced two impressive rounds at Rivi today (beat a ranked and then an ex ranked)? :worship:

CSUN newbie drops first college match to McCall Harkins quickly... :bounce:

UCLA Pantic loses to NC State # 3... :eek:

gouci
Sep 28th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Gouci... you are good

# 2 - You must have missed where Manasse beat Wetmore 2, 2 in August HB tournament... She advanced to semi's today... Maybe the next Bernhard of Big West? :cool:

Actually looking at the draws, it seems some girls that played last week (Minny, ASU, others) seem to be a step ahead. It's early and it was tight but that is not a good loss. Oh well, I thought we already crowned the BW PofYr to Widjaja anyway?

St. Mary's is going to be really good... Top 40 probably. Added some real strength it appears.
I haven't seen Manasse play but when you say the "next Bernhard?" are you saying Manasse has a weak 2nd serve? :lol:
Actually Bernhard came to UCI highly ranked, #5 in NorCal and lived up to her potential. But then again Melissa Bradford was also ranked #5 in NorCal. I guess the quality of the NorCal pool can vary from year to year. :lol:

Yeah Widjaja may be BWPOY but if Grady has a good year the Big West can have 2 participants in the NCAA singles this year.

If St. Mary's added strength is as tough to defeat as it is to pronounce her last name :banghead: then yeah St. Mary's will be really good. If you know how to say it correctly then please sound it out for me because I don't.

form
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Ok, that was a great post. LOL... :worship:

gouci
Sep 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Here's a quick Bernhard story you might enjoy.
One time at the UCI library Bernhard sat at the computer one seat over from me. This was when she was a freshman and didn't know many people yet. When she left to use the restroom I sat on her seat. I opened up the internet, went to the women's tennis website and clicked on her name. Then I picked up my stuff and sat at a table off to the side where I would have a perfect view of her reaction. When Bernhard got back what was on her monitor staring back at her was her own roster photo. :haha:
Bernhard looked shocked. She looked around the room like who did this? Someone actually recognized me? Just messing with a freshman.

gouci
Sep 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Day 2 upsets

1. Alexandra Poorta (SM) def. Anastas Petukhova (FS)7-6,6-1

2. Bojana Bobusic (Cal) def. Melanie Goria (FS) 6-1,4-6,6-4

3. Abigail Olivier (FS) def. Claire Ilcinkas (Cal) 6-3,6-1

4. Poorta/Soper (SM) def. Ilcinkas/Cossou (Cal) 8-5

5. Baca/Martinez (SAC) def. Ravelojoana/Dillion (Cal) 8-2

gouci
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Day 3 Upsets

1. unranked Alexandra Poorta (SM) def. #7 Marina Cossou (Cal) :eek:
This was also after beating #16 Anastas Petukhova.

2. unranked Sarah Landsman (AZ) def. #64 Hannah Grady (LBS)

3. Lais Ogata (Nev) def. Stephany Chang (Cal)

4. Stevens/De Vrye (Nev) def. Ravelojaona/Dillon (Cal)

gouci
Sep 30th, 2008, 06:25 AM
The qualifying draws are out.

Hannah Grady - Long Beach State vs Naoko Ueshima - Georgia

Qualifying singles (http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/QualifyingSingles.pdf)

Blalock/Wong - Cal Poly vs qualifiers Wlecher/Bigos - Alabama

Qualifying doubles (http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/QualifyingDoubles.pdf)

gouci
Oct 8th, 2008, 11:56 PM
The draws for the tournament are out.

CSF draws (http://fullertontitans.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/100808aaa.html)

It's a great opportunity to gauge how good many of the new players coming into the Big West are.

UCLA singles players from 5-9 are entered.

:wavey: Form who are your predictions to win Flight A & B singles?

gouci
Oct 9th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Form I'll take my guesses 1st.

Flight A finals - Suzie Matzenauer (Cal Poly) beats Alexandra Walters (UCLA)

Flight B finals - Jane Pringle (LMU) beats Nigora Sirijddinova (CSUN) sleeper

Flight A doubles finals - Blalock/Wong (Cal Poly) beats Hammel/Byron (UCI) dark horse

gouci
Oct 10th, 2008, 03:10 AM
The draws are out for the St. Mary's Invitational.

Tier 1 singles draw (http://www.tennisinformation.com/tourny/5/1/8/5/5/1/5/draw-3-mf.asp)

Among the schools entered are Stanford, Cal, Washington, Boise St., Sac. St. and St. Mary's.
The singles draw is stacked with good new incoming players.

Tier 1 Singles - top players

#62 Jenni Heinser - San Francisco
#77 Carolyn McVeigh - Stanford
#91 Caroline Bailly - Nevada
#122 Jen Yen - Stanford

Stephany Chang - Cal
Courtney Clayton - Stanford
Denise Dy - Washington
Logan Hansen - Stanford
Ana Chkhkivihsvili - St. Mary's
Jana Juricova - Cal
Alexandra Poorta - St. Mary's
Rachael Dillion - Cal

Anyone know how to correctly pronounce Chkhkivihsvili?

Tennisace
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM
The draws are out for the St. Mary's Invitational.

Tier 1 singles draw (http://www.tennisinformation.com/tourny/5/1/8/5/5/1/5/draw-3-mf.asp)

Among the school entered are Stanford, Cal, Washington, Boise St. and St. Mary's.
The singles draw is stacked with good new incoming players.

Tier 1 Singles - top players

#62 Jenni Heinser - San Francisco
#77 Carolyn McVeigh - Stanford
#91 Caroline Bailly - Nevada
#122 Jen Yen - Stanford

Stephany Chang - Cal
Courtney Clayton - Stanford
Denise Dy - Washington
Logan Hansen - Stanford
Ana Chkhkivihsvili - St. Mary's
Jana Juricova - Cal
Alexandra Poorta - St. Mary's
Rachael Dillion - Cal

Anyone know how to correctly pronounce Chkhkivihsvili?

Stanford really should dominate. Clayton was a last minute entry into the top flight draw after one of Cal's players pulled out. Clayton would have destroyed the Tier II field. Washington is going to have a very dangerous 1-2 combo with Chan and Dy. It'll be interesting to see if St. Mary's can continue the momentum.

Stanford is at 7 scholarships right now, I wonder if they're saving it for this coming year (they would have one scholarship if they didn't). I'm curious if Mallory Burdette is going to join her sister next year at Stanford.

gouci
Oct 10th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Stanford really should dominate. Clayton was a last minute entry into the top flight draw after one of Cal's players pulled out. Clayton would have destroyed the Tier II field. Washington is going to have a very dangerous 1-2 combo with Chan and Dy. It'll be interesting to see if St. Mary's can continue the momentum.

Stanford is at 7 scholarships right now, I wonder if they're saving it for this coming year (they would have one scholarship if they didn't). I'm curious if Mallory Burdette is going to join her sister next year at Stanford.
Quick who's your guess to win the Tier 1 singles?

My guess would be Denise Dy.

You're right about St. Mary's. The only one to beat Alex Poorta at the Cal Invitational was Kelcy McKenna, who by the way just won the Riviera All-American tournament.

gouci
Oct 11th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Day 1 Interesting Results

Armstrong (LB 2) def. Oki (UCR 1) 6-3,6-4 Good win for Armstrong.
Blalock (CP 1) def. Vertesheva (CSUN 1) 6-1,2-6,6-1 CSUN may have a legit #1.
Armstrong (LBS 2) def. Lind (UCLA 7) 6-2,4-6,6-3 Another good win for Armstrong.
Matzenauer (CP 2) def. Manasse (LB 5) 3-6,6-4,7-5 Another tourney & another move up in the LB line-up for Manasse.
Bullock (CSF 4) def. Kukla (CSUN 4) 6-4,5-2 ret. Will Bullock be CSF's new #1?

Davis/Matzenauer (CP) def. Armstrong/Luzar (LB) 8-5 Walk-on Davis must be good at doubles.
Marks/Costa (NMS) def. Blalock/Wong (CP) 9-7 Bad start to a bad day for Wong.

Malec (CP 8) def. Sirijddinova (CSUN 2) CSUN freshman looking more like a #7 than #2.
Doane (CSUN 6) def. Pringle (LMU 2) Bad start to the season by the transfer from powerhouse Texas.
Jaworowski (CSUN 7) def. Wong (CP 3) Wong didn't even win the 1st set before losing it.

M. Young (UCI WO) def. Dockendorf (UCLA WO) 4-6,6-0,6-1 Two star high of #430 walk-on defeats 4 star high of #40 walk-on
Plata (UCR WO) def. Rosen (UCLA WO) 6-2,6-3 Zero star unranked walk-on defeats 4 star high of #85 walk-on.

gouci
Oct 12th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Some Day 2 results and comments

Walters (UCLA 6) beats Armstrong (LB 2) 5-7,6-4,6-1. Missed opportunity for a big win by Armstrong.
Matzenauer (CP 2) beats Pantic (UCLA 5) 6-2,7-5. Big straight set win by Matzenauer, the new Cal Poly #1?
- As I predicted its Matzenauer vs Walters in the finals.

Borowicz (UCI 7) beats Weeks (LB 5) 6-4,6-1. UCI #8 player for the last 2 years beats LB #5 player for the last 2 years.
Kaloi (UCI 6) beats Doane (CSUN 6) 6-2,6-4. Kaloi wins the battle between 2 players both formerly ranked #1 in the state of Hawaii.
Luzar (LB 7) beats Jaworowski (CSUN 7) 6-4,7-5. Let down by Jaworowski after beating Wong yesterday. Good win by Luzar.
Malec (CP 8) beats Borowicz (UCI 7) 6-1,6-1. Malec makes her case for the 5/6 singles spot in the Cal Poly line-up.
Luzar (LB 7) beats Kaloi (UCI 6) 3-6,7-5,6-1. Good win by Luzar who is making her case to play 5/6 singles for LB.

Davis (CP WO) beats Morgan (LMU 5) 6-2,6-3. Davis making her case for Cal Poly's 5/6 singles spot as well.

gouci
Oct 14th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Final results

Tier 1. Matzenauer (CP 2) beats Walters (UCLA 6) 7-6,3-6,6-0. In their team's lineup Matzenauer may have passed Blalock and Walters may have passed Pantic.

Tier 2. Maria Malec (CP 8) beats Luzar (LB 7) 2-6,6-3,6-2. Malec and Luzar may be front runners for their team's 5/6 singles slot.

Tier 3. Jocelyn Davis (CP WO) beats Miranda Young (UCI WO) 6-4,6-4. The strong showing of UCI's walk-ons make it more likely UCI's 8th 'ship will be carried over to next year.

- Cal Poly sweeps all 3 singles titles and makes a statement they are the team to beat this season in the Big West. Cal Poly which wasn't expected to have any scholarships open this season has added 2 players in Matzenauer & Davis that look to make significant line-up contributions.

Tier 1 doubles. Pantic/Lind (UCLA) beats Doane/Vertesheva (CSUN) 8-3.

Tier 2 doubles. Salum/Boguet (NMS) beats Sirijiddinova/Jaworowski (CSUN) 8-5. In retrospect Sirijiddinova's results doesn't look as bad having lost to the singles winner Malec in the 1st round and being runner-up in the doubles draw.

Tier 1 doubles consolation. Blalock/Wong (CP 1) beats Manasse/Weeks (LB 3) 8-0. If losing in the 1st round made Blalock/Wong angry, they sure took it out on Manasse/Weeks by shutting them out.

gouci
Oct 19th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Interesting Upsets

Lauren Megale - Boise St. def. Logan Hansen - Stanford 3-6,6-4,6-1

Lauren Megale - Boise St. def. (4) Denise Dy - Washington 6-1,6-3

Ana Chkhkivishvili - St. Mary's def. (5) Jen Yen - Stanford 6-4,6-3

Rachael Dillon - Cal def. (7) Caroline Baily - Nevada 6-3,6-4

Rachael Dillon - Cal def. (2) Carolyn McVeigh - Stanford 6-2,6-1
- No longer need to wonder why Cal picked her up.

(6) Jana Juricova - Cal def. (1) Jenni Heinser - San Francisco 6-2,6-3
- Juricova wins the Tier 1 singles draw.

gouci
Oct 21st, 2008, 01:42 AM
Big West interesting results

Twarowska/Fisher - Pacific def. Clayton/Yen - Stanford 8-4

Twarowska/Fisher - Pacific def. Heinser/Gratian - San Francisco 8-5
- Twarowska/Fisher win the consolation 1st tier doubles draw.

Tennisace
Oct 21st, 2008, 03:48 AM
Interesting Upsets

Lauren Megale - Boise St. def. Logan Hansen - Stanford 3-6,6-4,6-1

Lauren Megale - Boise St. def. (4) Denise Dy - Washington 6-1,6-3

Ana Chkhkivishvili - St. Mary's def. (5) Jen Yen - Stanford 6-4,6-3

Rachael Dillon - Cal def. (7) Caroline Baily - Nevada 6-3,6-4

Rachael Dillon - Cal def. (2) Carolyn McVeigh - Stanford 6-2,6-1
- No longer need to wonder why Cal picked her up.

(6) Jana Juricova - Cal def. (1) Jenni Heinser - San Francisco 6-2,6-3
- Juricova wins the Tier 1 singles draw.

Dillon has really picked things up since her freshman year. I have to take my words back and it looks like she's fighting for the No. 6 spot. She currently has it over Chang but I believe Andersson is out with a wrist injury and could take the No. 6 spot when she comes back.

gouci
Oct 21st, 2008, 05:35 AM
Big West notable results

Svenja Arens (Pacific 3) def. Herzyl Legaspi (Davis 3) 6-4,3-6,6-2.

Desiree Stone (Davis 2) def. Danon Beatty (Fresno St. 5) 5-7,6-4,6-1. Good win by Stone.

Alex Poorta (St. Mary's 1) def. Brittany Blalock (CP 2) 6-4,6-1.

Shannon Brady (CP 6) def. Svenja Arens (Pacific 3) 7-6,6-4.

Jolanta Twarowska (Pacific 2) def. Abigail Oliver (Fresno St. 8) 6-4,6-4.

Susie Matzenhauer (CP 1) def. Anna Chkhikvishvili (St. Mary's 2) 6-1,6-2.

Steffi Wong (CP 3) def. #86 Tinesta Rowe (Fresno St. 4) 3-6,6-3,6-3. Wong big comeback in big win.

#48 Lindsay Burdette (Stanford 3) def. Susie Matzenhauer (CP 1) 6-2,6-2.

#4 Hilary Barte (Stanford 2) def. Steffi Wong (CP 3) 6-1,6-1. Wong made the round of 16, furthest by any Big West player.

gouci
Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
The draws for the ITA West Regionals are out.

Some juicy 1st round BW match-ups.

Jasmine Heckel (LMU 3) vs Jessica Weeks (LB 5/6)

Natasha Zorec (Hawaii 2) vs Sofia Novak (UCSB 7)

Evgeniya Vertesheva (CSUN 1) vs Nina Pantic (UCLA 5/6). Can Vertesheva win a set?

Tina Razloznik (LMU 1/2) vs Ratchaya Chaichanachicharn (UCSB 1/2). How good is UCSB's newcomer? Try saying her name fast 3 times. :lol:

Angelia De Miestre (Pepperdine) vs Esther Cadua (SDSU 3). Is De Miestre a walk-on or starter?

Stephanie Jeanes (LBS 3) vs Sarah Landsman (Arizona 2)

Michelle Murphy (UCSB 3/4) vs Rebecca Kwan (UCI 2)

Erynne Oki (UCR 1) vs Natalia Lozano (UCSB 3/4). Is newcomer Lozano a top 3 or bottom 3 player?

Cristala Andrews (USC 8) vs Rachel Manasse (LB 4)

Brooke Doane (CSUN 6/7) vs Audrey Bulkley (LMU 4)

Jane Pringle (LMU 1/2) vs Clare Fermin (UCI 1)

Jenny Luzar (LB 5/6) vs Tova Hausman (UCSB 5/6). Is Julie going by Jenny now?

Singles draw (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sdsu/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/ITASinglesDraw.pdf)

Doubles draw (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sdsu/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/ITADoublesDraw.pdf)

form
Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Why so few Eaters in the draw? Not many from a of other teams too... weird.

It's Julie... must be a mistake doing the draw...

gouci
Oct 23rd, 2008, 05:55 AM
Why so few Eaters in the draw? Not many from a of other teams too... weird.

1. Most of the UCI team played in the Fullerton tournament. The few that didn't will play at the West Regional. But the majority of the team should play both at the San Diego St. tourney and the UCI Fall Invitational.

2. Seems like Pepperdine hasn't added any new scholarship players yet. Right now they look to have 4 scholarship players and 3 walk-ons. Will they add transfers or international players in January? Or will they just play with 1 or 2 walk-ons in the line-up this year and reload on recruiting for next year?

3. There's a lot of new upper half of the line-up talent coming into the Big West this year. The deepest recruiting class ever for the conference based on my memory. Of those players the 4 from UCSB in a way will be unveiled on Thursday.

New players ready to contribute significantly
Jenifer Widjaja
Suzanne Matzenauer
Eugenia Vertesheva
Nigora Sirojiddinova
Ratchaya Chaichanachaicharn
Natalia Lozano
Michelle Murphy
Rachel Manasse
Julie Luzar
Courtney Byron
Stephanie Hammel

Right now I can potentially see 6 from this list as becoming 1st Team All Big West players in the future.

gouci
Oct 24th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Day 1 BW results

Jasmine Heckel (LMU 3) def. Jessica Weeks (LB 5/6) 6-2,7-6.

Natasha Zorec (Hawaii 2) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB 7) 6-3,6-2.

Nina Pantic (UCLA 5/6) def. Evgeniya Vertesheva (CSUN 1) 6-4,6-0.

Tina Razloznik (LMU 1/2) def. Ratchaya Chaichanachicharn (UCSB 1/2) 6-2,6-1.

Esther Cadua (SDSU 3) def. Angelia De Miestre (Pepperdine) 6-0,6-0. The question is answered, De Miestre is a walk-on.

Sarah Landsman (Arizona 2) def. Stephanie Jeanes (LBS 3) 7-6,6-3.

Michelle Murphy (UCSB 3/4) def. Rebecca Kwan (UCI 2) 7-6,6-4.

Erynne Oki (UCR 1) def. Natalia Lozano (UCSB 3/4) 6-4,6-4.

Jordan Dockendorf (UCLA) def. Heidi Kaloi (UCI 6) 6-4,4-6,6-2.

Jane Pringle (LMU 1/2) def. Clare Fermin (UCI 1) 6-4,6-2.

Tova Hausman (UCSB 5/6) def. Julie Luzar (LB 5/6) 6-0,6-2.

Day 1 upsets

Ali Walters (UCLA) def. Samantha Mouly (USD) 6-3,6-2.

Maria Raygada (USD) def. Tania Rice (Pepperdine 4) 6-4,6-2.

Sianna Simmons (ASU) def. Lindsey Kinster (USC) 6-3,4-6,6-1.

Viktoria Lind (UCLA) def. Alex Liles (Pepperdine) 6-3,6-0.

Sianna Simmons (ASU) def. Katy Williams (UNLV) 6-3,6-2.

gouci
Oct 25th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Day 2 BW notable results

Weeks (LB 5/6) def. Demidova (USD) 7-6,4-6,10-5.

Vetesheva (CSUN 1) def. Pringle (LMU 1/2) 6-2,6-2.

Raygada (USD) def. Kwan (UCI 2) 6-3,6-4.

Murphy (UCSB 2/3) def. Rice (Pepperdine 4) 6-4,6-7,10-5.

Luzar (LB 6/7) def. S. Ellison (SDSU 6) 6-4,6-3.

Fermin (UCI 1) def. Zorec (Hawaii 2) 6-4,2-6,10-8.

Vetesheva (CSUN 1) def. Weeks (LB 5/6) 6-0,6-0.

Novak (UCSB 7) def. Morgan (LSU 4) 6-0,4-6,10-5.

Jeanes (LB 3) def. Raichanachaicharn (UCSB 3/4) 6-3,6-2.

Heitzner (UCLA WO) def. Onaga (UCSB 6) 6-2,6-2.

Lozano (UCSB 2/3) def. Huh (Arizona 4) 7-6,6-4.

Coleman (SDSU 5) def. Oki (UCR 1) 6-4,5-7,10-6.

Murphy (UCSB 2/3) def. Peters (Hawaii 3) 6-7,6-4,11-9.

Day 2 upsets

Maskaljun/Razina (UNLV) def. Entekhabi/Fansler (USC) 8-6

Grady/Jeanes (LBS) def. Johansson/Pantic (UCLA) 8-6

Murphy/Hausman (UCSB) def. Bhargava/Rice (Pepperdine) 9-7

R. Ellison/S. Ellison (SDSU) def. Steinberg/Huh (Arizona) 8-3

Ramos (USC) def. Steinberg (Arizona) 4-6,6-3,7-6

Landsman (Arizona) def. Bhargava (Pepperdine) 6-3,6-3

Andrews (USC) def. Joelson (UCLA) 6-4,6-1

Bulkley (LMU) def. Kobuch (Hawaii) 7-6,6-3

Fansler (USC) def. McKenna (ASU) 6-4,3-6,7-5

Grady (LBS) def. N. Abdala (ASU) 6-4,6-0

gouci
Oct 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Day 3 BW notable results

Novak (UCSB 7) def. Wong (Hawaii 5) 6-2,6-3

Lozano (UCSB 2/3) def. Raygada (USD) 6-7,6-4,10-8

Murphy (UCSB 2/3) def. Olivia (SDSU 5) 1-6,6-3,10-5

Mouly (USD 1) def. Fermin (UCI 1) 7-5,6-3

Jeanes (LB 3) def. Lozano (UCSB 2/3) 6-2,6-1

Murphy (UCSB 2/3) def. Kinster (USC 7) 7-6,6-7,10-5

Armstrong (LBS 2) def. Mouly (USD 1) 6-2,6-7,13-11

Hausman (UCSB 5) def. Peter (Hawaii 4) 7-5,6-4

Onaga (UCSB 6) def. Pringle (LMU 1/2) 6-0,6-0

Chaichanachaicharn (UCSB 4) def. Morgan (LMU 4) 6-4,6-3

Kaloi (UCI 6) def. Demidova (USD) 7-6,6-0

Oki/Plata (UCR) def. Sujica/Teeling (USD) 8-4

Armstrong/Sutton (LBS) def. Landsman/Masschelein (Arizona) 9-8

Oki/Plata (UCR) def. Simmons/Martin (ASU) 8-3

Grady/Jeanes (LBS) def. Murphy/Hausman (UCSB) 8-5

Grady/Jeanes (LBS) def. Maskaljun/Razina (UNLV) 9-7

Maria Sanchez (USC 4) def. Hannah Grady (LBS 1) 6-0,6-2. Grady goes from best win to most lopsided loss of her career.

Day 3 upsets

Kinster/Ramos (USC) def. Schnack/Seguso (UCLA) 8-3

Maskaljun/Razina (UNLV) def. Remynse/Walters (UCLA) 8-6

Fansler (USC) def. Johansson (UCLA) 4-6,6-2,6-1

Ramos (USC) def. Schnack (UCLA) 6-1,6-4

Remynse (UCLA) def. Fink (USC) 7-5,6-2

Simmons (ASU) def. Joelson (UCLA) 6-3,7-6

Dimitrova (UNLV) def. Landsman (Arizona) 7-6,6-4

form
Oct 28th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Gouci... you crack me up.

Beats # 19 soundly and you editorialize on the most lopsided loss ever. You are about as predictable as a Joe the Plumber campaign speech.

Not sure it was but props to Ms Sanchez who won the tournament and is playing great tennis.

How'd ur team do?

gouci
Oct 28th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Day 4 BW notable results

Jeanes (LBS 3) def. Williams (UNLV) 6-4,6-1

Armstrong (LB 2) def. Murphy (UCSB 2) 6-4,6-1

- The singles consolation final between Armstrong vs Jeanes was not played, going against the spirit of competition.

Kobuch/Peter (Hawaii) def. Armstrong/Sutton (LBS) 8-6. The doubles consolation final.

Hein/McKenna def. Grady/Jeanes 9-7

Final day upsets

Niculescu/Sanchez (USC) def. Abdala/Abdala (ASU) 8-2

Niculescu/Sanchez (USC) def. Hein/McKenna (ASU) 8-3. Doubles final.

Ramos (USC) def. Fansler (USC) 3-6,6-4,6-3.

Sanchez (USC) def. Remynse (UCLA) 7-5,6-1.

gouci
Nov 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Tier Finals

Tier 1 Singles - Venice Chan (Washington) def. Denise Dy (Washington) 6-2,6-2.

Tier 2 Singles - Samantha Smith (Washington) def. Joyce Ardies (Washington) 7-6,6-1.

Tier 3 Singles - Roxanne Ellison (San Diego St.) def. Brittany Baldy (Oklahoma) 6-3,6-2.

Tier 1 Doubles - Chan/Dy (Washington) def. Ellison/Ellison (San Diego St.) 8-6.

Final Results (http://goaztecs.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/sdsu/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/WT08FallClassicIIFinal) (Must read standing on your head.) :lol:

gouci
Jan 20th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Final Results

Tier 1. Pichittra Thongdach (Boise St.) def. Katia Sabate (Fresno Pacific) 6-2,6-2.

Tier 2. Nina Jaworowski (CSUN) def. Elle Carney (BYU) 6-4,4-6,10-5.

Tier 3. Whitney Paluch (CSUN) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF) 6-2,6-2.

Tier 1. Bhargava/Liles (Pep) def. Thongdach/Megale (Boise St.) 8-6.

Tier 2. Vertesheva/Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Nedakovic (BYU)/Rice (Pep) 8-4.

Complete results (http://gomatadors.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/csno/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/2008MatadorInviteFinalResults)

gouci
Jan 21st, 2009, 05:58 AM
Day 1 results (http://ucirvinesports.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/recaps/111408aaa.html)

Day 2 results (http://ucirvinesports.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/recaps/111508aaa.html)

Day 3 results (http://ucirvinesports.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/recaps/111608aaa.html)

gouci
Jan 21st, 2009, 06:33 AM
Day 1 results
(https://secure.techxpress.net/gopoly.com/images/uploads/pages/CPInv1.pdf)
Day 2 results (https://secure.techxpress.net/gopoly.com/images/uploads/pages/CPInv2.pdf)

Day 3 results (https://secure.techxpress.net/gopoly.com/images/uploads/pages/CPInv3.pdf)

Tournament Champions

Singles
Flight 1: Suzie Matzenauer (Cal Poly)
Flight 2: Brittany Blalock (Cal Poly)
Flight 3: Natalia Lozano (UC Santa Barbara)
Flight 4: Maria Malec (Cal Poly)
Flight 5: Sofia Novak (UC Santa Barbara)
Flight 6: Bryanna Ojeda (UC Santa Barbara)

Doubles
Flight 1: Blalock/Wong (Cal Poly)
Flight 2: Filip/Matzenauer (Cal Poly)
Flight 3: Chaichanachaicharn/Novak (UC Santa Barbara)

gouci
Jan 21st, 2009, 07:33 AM
Cal Poly played pretty well against No. 2 Cal. The mustangs didn't surrender even one 6-0 set.

Day 1 results (http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&tab=news&id=30011&article_id=63711)

No. 75 Cal Poly took 5 of 8 singles from an improved No. 59 St. Mary's.

Day 2 results (http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&tab=news&id=30011&article_id=63741)

Day 3 results (http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&tab=news&id=30011&article_id=63781)