PDA

View Full Version : Help...can I default an opponent?!

KindaNice
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I can not find access to USTA rules regarding default. Question: an opponent in mixed doubles throws several tantrums during play. Throwing the racquet into the net, and then tossing his racquet over the fence. Later he throws his racquet again over my side of the court, causing my partner to duck to avoid being hit. Opponent was mad because his team was the supposed stronger team in the tournament and seeded. My team was not seeded but we were definitely not being beaten easily. With conduct like this....could our team have defaulted him for unsportsmanlike behavior?

Darop.
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Should have called the tournament ref while it was happening :shrug:

miffedmax
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
USTA rules stipulate that any player may leave the court to request that a roving official, or if no roving official is available, the referee come to a court.

I think even a referee has to witness and infraction to make a call. I know a roving umpire does.

9 times out of 10, the appearance of an official leads to an amazing improvement in behavior, but I've seen people lose their temper and throw rackets, curse and in other ways earn various penalties while I or another official was inches away.

You should definitely report that behavior, too, to the official or referee after the match. The fact is that 95% of players at a tournament conduct themselves according to The Code.

In general, roving officials aren't going to make many calls because we're usually watching more than one court, but we'll definitely issue code violations in situations like that because it's not just sportsmanship, it's safety.

But yes, preferably on a break, you should go to find the closest official.

darkchild
Sep 12th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Call the fucking referee!

faboozadoo15
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Call the referee next time or leave the court until someone pays some attention the situation.

Demska
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:16 PM
add some laxatives into his drink

MLF
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM
No, you can't default an opponent, otherwise you'd have defaults and counter defaults all across the draw.

As advised it's always better to get a referee or tournament official but it gets frustrating as whenever you do this they watch for a while and of course the linecalls and behaviour from the opponent's end improves drastically. You should always log a complaint too if you feel badly enough so that if other people complain about the same person during the week then it usually means they'll get a talking to.

brickhousesupporter
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Kinda Nice

Where was this tournament being held at? The Bucaneer?

Aravanecaravan
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Were you playing the Safins?

germex
Sep 12th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Spit or better yet stick a chewed gum on the raquet handle before giving it back.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 12th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Were you playing the Safins?

:haha: