PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts about Dinara Safina

pedro_2008
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hello everyone!!:)

I just wanted to share some thoughts with you about Safina as i've come to realize that she's a bit under-appreciated...

It's certainly true that she has yet to win one of four grand slams. This being said - and if we take the summer as a whole - she has been the most dominant force around with wins in Los Angeles and Montreal, a silver medal in the Olympic Games and a semi-final in the US...!! More important than this, she has already proved she can play very well in clay - remember, she reached the final in Roland Garros and she won in Berlin...

It's my firm opinion that her coming to form is a welcome improvement on the very good lot of elite female players!!

Anyone on board??

enchantrezz
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Thank you , thank you, thank you :worship:
Hope to "see" you in Dinara's forum here in this site ;)

Dodoboy.
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I agree. Although it's fun to give her some hate :p

I hope she wins Tokyo :)

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
nice thoughts and thanks for sharing! i appreciate her and assert that she will win the French Open next year. she is the heir apparent. :bounce:

hankqq
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I'm glad Safina started playing really well too. It's fun to have another top player. I still think her best surface is clay though. :shrug:

dybbuk
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Boo, I thought you were corswandt. What a letdown.

Marshmallow
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I like what's happened with Safina. She has the game to beat all the top players (espeically if they're a big off), but is likewise beatable by then too. She's a bit of extra spice on the tour, but remains to be seen really if she can take it to the next step and become an elite (win slam(s),YEC or Miami etc).

goldenlox
Sep 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Dinara lost 2 very big matches this year, FO final and Gold medal match.
It will be interesting to see if she can get to more big finals the next few years.

duhcity
Sep 11th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Underappreciated?

She's probably the biggest bandwagoned player this year. Shes improved immensely since Berlin though, no doubt about that.

I think shes actually overrated almost. Her game is strong, but it's not filled with finesse and she gets very tired.

I think she can turn into a Williamses-esque player. Play relatively few tournaments but do well in all of them.

Matt01
Sep 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I think she can turn into a Williamses-esque player. Play relatively few tournaments but do well in all of them.

:confused:

shell
Sep 11th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I'm liking her game this year, although I think she needs to develop a bit more before she consistently challenges the top players week in week out. She has a bit of fire in her, but seems to have some of the negative temper tamed. She certainly has the power.

I think next year may be a big year for her. I actually think she will do better than Ana next year if she stays focused. I think she could be 2 - 4 next year.

frontier
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I think she is going to do fine...a legit top five player

Volcana
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Is Safina truly ready to win a slam? Kim Clijsters won three tournaments and made her first GS final in 2001, losing 12-10 in the third!?!? All this at age 18. Surely this was a multi-slam winner about to blossom. But it was four years and four more GS finals before she won one. Lindsay Davenport made four GS finals and SIX other semis after winning her last slam. In other words, the distance between a GS chmap and a finalist is bigger than it seems. IMHO, Mary Jo Fernandez is still the best player never to win a slam. Three finals and five semis, but no title.

That last step to GS champ is a chasm.

pesto
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:18 AM
She makes me smile. Sometimes, it is like she's channeling Marat, although she doesn't have anything like his talent, or as much talent as some of the other top female players.

But I think she has more will, and I think she is late in growing into it, having been Little Sis for so long. I'd love to see her finally take a big one, and I think she has the possibility to do so in this era, with no one player dominating.