PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo UPDATE: Serena & Venus withdraw !!!

JeLeNaJfAn
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Hopefully JJ:hearts::kiss:, Dinara:D& Flavia play there!

Lucemferre
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM
:lol:

InsideOut.
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Damn. That means Ana could get LenaD as early as semis now. If Ana even gets there of course.

elenadrocks
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:28 PM
i think dementieva will win Tokyo. She does well at these kinda non GS events. Plus she will be motivated to beat JJ. So she'll rise up to #3

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
its not really an update since it was expected :shrug:

Just Do It
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Here we go again :lol:

frontier
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I am sure they are busy signing endorsement deals:p

tae04
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Well already knew they weren't playing one week after an Olympic and US Open run with literally no break.

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Well already knew they weren't playing one week after an Olympic and US Open run with literally no break.

that's why i don't see why this is an update...wimbledon singles final AND doubles final for both, WTT, olympics, us open...add to that the fact that serena said her next step is europe :shrug:

darkangel23
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I see no surprise there...

Fantasy Hero
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM
so who are the top seeds?
I know there're Flavia, Lena, Schnyder

InsideOut.
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
^Flavia won't be seeded. The top seeds now are, in order: Jelena, Ana, LenaD, Safina, and so on.

winone23
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Ana is playing this? I thought she would sit this one out to regroup. I hope that she performs well.

InsideOut.
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:58 PM
^Well Ana said in her diary on 7th Sept that:
'I just wanted to write a quick note to say that I am back training hard, and very motivated for my next tournaments in Tokyo and Beijing.
I am just practising, making sure I am ready for the tournaments in Asia. I will go to Tokyo on Thursday. I can't wait to get back on the court and compete.'

eugreene2
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I actually think this is a great thing from them. Venus & Serena put their hearts into the last month of Olympics & the Open. Don't get on another long plane ride so quickly to play more grueling tennis.

Renalicious
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM
grrr.

SAEKeithSerena
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:05 PM
serena and venus have been playing SO much tennis in august. it's not surprising.

they deserve a break, and when they come back to the tour they'll be a bit refreshed, and serena will have A LOT of confidence. so i'm not too upset by this, they really deserve it.

enchantrezz
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:17 PM
The top seeds now are, in order: Jelena, Ana, LenaD, Safina, and so on.

Good Luck to the top 4 seeds. may they do well in this tourny :)

Dave.
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Expected. I think this tournament has been poorly placed on the calendar. I'd rather it be held in February. Anyone who has been involved in the final stages of the Olympics and US Open will be exhausted by now I imagine. Wise decision made from Serena and Venus, and it would be wise for Jelena to do the same.

TomTennis
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I thought in one of their post-match interviews after (cant remember which match for each) they both stated that their next tournament would be in europe.

Didnt even know both were on the entry list for Tokyo.

Louis Cyphre
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Hopefully JJ:hearts::kiss:, Dinara:D& Flavia play there!

You think Jankovic will withdrew ?! :lol: She can`t beat the top players and she want to be N1 so ... she will play every tournament every weеk , even ITFs if WTA allows her , that is her only chance :devil:

Mightymirza
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
surprise surprise :lol:

serenus_2k8
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Good decision IMO.

I wouldnt fly out to Tokyo, let the others tire! :devil:

doni1212
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Good luck then Ana!!! Take the title!!

MarieC
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I thought in one of their post-match interviews after (cant remember which match for each) they both stated that their next tournament would be in europe.

Didnt even know both were on the entry list for Tokyo.

I know when Serena was on Regis and Kelly she said her next stop was Stuggart and the YEC's

InsideOut.
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Good luck then Ana!!! Take the title!!

:worship: Amen to that! :lol:

Make the QFs at least, Ana. :)

ce
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:33 PM
:haha:

MarieC
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM
:worship: Amen to that! :lol:

Make the QFs at least, Ana. :)

I hope she has a good tournament. Another bad loss won't be good

MyskinaManiac
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Typical. Let the others die with exhaustion... oh bring on next years heavy penalties!!!

kwilliams
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Shocker!!!

In the past I would have blindly hoped that they would turn up but there are some tournaments you just know they aren't going to play.

Michael!
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM
:o
A typical autumn for Venus, I´m sure she will withdraw from some more tournaments :fiery:
They played much tennis in August? :scratch:
After Wimbledon, Venus played at the Olympics and in NY, if that is already too much, she should think about her career..I love Venus, but that is just annoying!

hankqq
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:22 PM
expected. They are going to play indoors in Europe.

If not Ana, Szavay will win the title now :hearts: :worship:

Fantasy Hero
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:39 PM
so what's the entry list?

Jorn
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:53 PM
http://www.toray-ppo.co.jp/web/pc/2008profile/

It was never mention on the website the Williams sis would play...

olivero
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Aga should be happy ;)

Fantasy Hero
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
puor Flavia n°10...

winone23
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Typical. Let the others die with exhaustion... oh bring on next years heavy penalties!!!

News flash Venus and Serena have enough money to last them a lifetime and they make more money off the court.

Dodoboy.
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Oh whaterve.

Another week of :yawn:

COME BACK MARIA!!

The Dawntreader
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Oh well, there's always a big hang-over for both Serena and Venus after the Open. Not suprised at all that they withdraw from their next schedulued tournament, although i dont actually know if they were actually put down in stone to be there.

It'd be good to see them play indoors in Europe though, particular Venus. She needs to gain some stability in the YEC race, she always seems to be on the cut fringes:lol:

Dodoboy.
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I agree to be honest. They should be fined. I can't wait for 2009.

We need our top players playing tournaments. A tournament like this shouldn't be so close to a slam.

frontier
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:14 PM
they are paid appearance fees for parties and other off court fabulous engagements!I am sure they are busy signing on the dotted line...

mb011
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM
i guess the next time they'll play is in melbourne. this was expected, and exactly why the new rules in 2009 should be implemented.

~Eclipsed~
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM
:o
A typical autumn for Venus, Im sure she will withdraw from some more tournaments :fiery:
They played much tennis in August? :scratch:
After Wimbledon, Venus played at the Olympics and in NY, if that is already too much, she should think about her career..I love Venus, but that is just annoying!

Venus played Wimbledon(singles and doubels, WTT, Olympics(singles and doubles) and the USO. That's enough for any player at any age, but at Vee's age of 28 that's especially a smart schedule.

If she would have played Tokyo, she would have played one week after the US Open. She'll be fine, she has commitments almost every week till the YEC. I'm not saying she'll play all of them, but even if she plays 2-3 and goes deep, she'll be good.

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Go Dinara/Elena!

frontier
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I think Dinara will win...

sweetpeas
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Life goes on...really!!

Marshmallow
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Can Serena lose her ranking then? :scared:

sammy01
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Can Serena lose her ranking then? :scared:

yes but only if jj wins the tournament, which isn't that hard to believe. jj will get the top spot the week of china open, as she has nothing to defend that week and will more than likely do very well in both these events, while serena isn't playing.

Marshmallow
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM
In that case: Go everyone BUT Jelena! http://**************/forums/images/smilies/humor/smiley-cheer.gif

Dodoboy.
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM
JJ stop playing damnit!!

Drake1980
Sep 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I would love to see Jankovic win this Title!:D

Zweli
Sep 11th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I would love to see Ana win in this title

frontier
Sep 11th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I dont think no.1 is that important at this point,let those players that are desperate do the running around to be no.1.I am glad she is resting preparing sensibly for the fall,some players are going to burnout by the time the YEC comes.

MagicMilan
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I think Dinara will win...
You think??? :eek:
it's a miracle :worship:

sakya23
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Thats strange because when Venus was asked about having to player Serena in the Quarters, she said that she wanted to work on getting her ranking up.

But it looks like her and serena will player Stuttgart, Moscow, and Zurich. Playing three weeks in a row cannot be good, remember what happened last fall. I would hate for both sisters to meet each other early in these tournaments, since venus is ranked #8.

Seeds for Toray Pan Pacific Open
1. Jankovic
2. Ivanovic
3. Dementieva
4. Safina
5. Kuznetsova
6. Radwanska
7. Hantuchova
8. Chakvetadze

young_gunner913
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:23 AM
:hearts: Tokyo just got a whole lot better. :drool:

RVD
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Sounds like Venus are Serena are doing the right thing.
Time to recoup and return to controlled conditionaing.

Again...it's the right decision. :cool:

Il Primo!
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Well, I'd lie if I said I was surprised... because I'm not. :yawn:

Donatello
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I dont think Serena realizes how succesfull her year has been so far. tenniswise.

Infiniti2001
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:56 AM
. Vee went from China to NY , I don't blame her for not wanting to go to Japan now .

drake3781
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Venus should probably be there. Do points come off?

Infiniti2001
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Venus should probably be there. Do points come off?

She did not play there last year :shrug:

friendsita
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:06 AM
not a surprise

frontier
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Serena has just signed a $1mil book deal with some publisher:bounce:

danieln1
Sep 12th, 2008, 03:02 AM
So expected, but wise decision... if only Lindsay would play in one of her favourite tournaments (she completely owns this tournament together with Hingis)!!!
When the sisters will play next, Zurich, Moscow?

sammy01
Sep 12th, 2008, 03:05 AM
So expected, but wise decision... if only Lindsay would play in one of her favourite tournaments (she completely owns this tournament together with Hingis)!!!

davenports on the list for luxembourg, which is a indoor, fast court. i only found this out 2 days ago and thought it was great shes carrying on.

FFS
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Sounds like Venus are Serena are doing the right thing.
Time to recoup and return to controlled conditionaing.

Again...it's the right decision. :cool:
From their point of view, I agree is the right decision.

And I also agree it's not a surprise.

What I don't like is when players are in the entry lists then decide won't play and the main reason is not an injury (or often is a fake injury).
This remind me what Sharapova said before Rome. According to her, in March Wta said her to be in the entry list of Berlin, even is she didn't want play Berlin and they said her something like : doens't matter, just put your name on the list and then say you can't play because of healty problems.

Wouldn't be better for players decide only a couple of weeks before? I think so, yet this is not what Tournamets want. They want big names months before to promote the tournament. Who cares if the week before these players withdraw? Well, we the spectators, we cares. Yet we are the weakest ring of this chain.

Lulu.
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:59 AM
:(

I really wanted Serena to play here but its a wise decision.

The Dawntreader
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:06 PM
davenports on the list for luxembourg, which is a indoor, fast court. i only found this out 2 days ago and thought it was great shes carrying on.

Wow, that's the ideal court for Lindsay. Probably the closet you get nowadays to the old Filderstadt court, which was lightening fast.

Go Linds:D

Justty
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Wow, this tournament has become hugely more popular than it used to be... wise shift :)

Protoss
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately this isn't played on the same surface as the past. It was a fast indoor carpet, now it's an outdoor hardcourt and I think it's a slow one at that.

Serena's Hubby
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM
so what does this mean for serenas ranking

Rex59
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Agreed. Does one think that players are going to endure another trip to the orient to incur another round of jet lag, when both men and women at the USO were complaining of fatigue after the Olympics? The withdrawal is to be expected.

exposbabe
Sep 15th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Agreed. Does one think that players are going to endure another trip to the orient to incur another round of jet lag, when both men and women at the USO were complaining of fatigue after the Olympics? The withdrawal is to be expected.

Well, everyone else is there. I guess they're special. :worship:

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 15th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Well, everyone else is there. I guess they're special. :worship:

you mean everyone else that didn't excel in both singles AND doubles since wimbledon...so yes they are special...