PDA

View Full Version : Angry Pennetta at Rodionova....

itzhak
Sep 11th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Angry Pennetta reaches Bali quarter-finals

Thu 11 Sep, 01:48 PM

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/9144/penrt4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Flavia Pennetta of Italy talks to referee during her match against Anastasia Rodionova of Rusia at WTA Bali Open Tennis Tournament at Nusa Dua, Bali, Indonesia, Thursday, Sept 11, 2008.

BALI (Reuters) - Flavia Pennetta converted her anger at opponent Anastasia Rodionova into aces, beating the Russian 6-3 7-5 to reach the quarter-finals of the Bali Classic on Thursday.

The third-seeded Italian was incensed when Rodionova called for medical attention when leading 5-2 in the second set and waved away the explanation from an official.

After Rodionova applied ice to her neck and had her blood pressure checked she continued but then called for attention again after losing the next two games. When play resumed a second time Rodionova barely competed, allowing Pennetta to fire five aces in her next two service games to complete her victory.

"I was angry," Pennetta told reporters. "A match like this is not good for the public. The last three or four games were very bad to watch.

"For me, if you are like this on the court it is better that you go. If you have any problem and you cannot play, you cannot play. That's it. You go."

Pennetta struggled with consistency, and her fragile advantage in the first set was exposed in the second. Having broken to lead 5-3 on her sixth break point she had to fight off a break point as she served for the first set, and then fell behind 4-0 in the second.

"I was 4-0 down and I didn't breathe at all," said Pennetta, blaming a long rally at the beginning of the set. "I was so tired. At 4-0 I started to feel a little better and breathe a little more and the match started to change."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/080911/2/15pwb.html

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Flavia :hearts:

G&R
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM
she is right to me

Wyclef
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:28 PM
angry wyclef at itzhak.....

Fantasy Hero
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Flavia is the best...many russian players do this kinda of play like there are in theater...even in Rolland Garros one makes the same thing...I hate this kinda things!

Mightymirza
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:26 PM
well but exactly what was wrong with rodionova? :shrug: And again many people apparantly prefer players to stay on the court until the match even if they cant compete..:weirdo: So maybe many would be happy for her decision..

vma
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Flavia :unsure:
did she really mean what she said - that all injured or unhealthy players should retire from their matches without even calling a trainer..?

Zamboni
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Flavia :unsure:
did she really mean what she said - that all injured or unhealthy players should retire from their matches without even calling a trainer..?
Rodionova called the trainer twice.
Flavia hit 5 aces in her last 2 service games, considering Flavia's serve that must mean Rodionova wasn't even trying to hit these returns, so I think she has a point in what she's saying. It might have been smarter to shut up though:lol:

Darop.
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:15 PM
What the hell Flavia?

Rodionova did nothing wrong. People always find something to complain about. When players retire, people complain. When players are badly injured yet slug it out until the end, people complain.

I love Flavia and don't particularly like Rodionova, but :ras: to Flavia and :yeah: to Rodionova for toughing it out.

hankqq
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Flavia :haha:

Noctis
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I Wouldnt be angry I Would be DEAD MAD

The Dawntreader
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I dont know what she's rantinng for. Even if Rodionova tanked the match by the end, it doesnt shed light on Flavia's professionalism and integrity in the slightest. Realistically though, Rodionova did well to not bale out with injury. She stuck around to give her opponent the satisfaction of winning a match.

If Flavia doesnt like that well that's just plain bizarre:lol:

Dodoboy.
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Rodionova should just :rolleyes:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I don't get it. Is she saying the players shouldn't call for the trainer? If Rodionova was ill/injured she did bloody well to actually stay out there and take the loss!

Pretty silly from Pennetta!

~Eclipsed~
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:20 PM
For once i agree with Rodionova. If she called for the trainer when she was leading 5-2, something must have been wrong. If she was behind 5-2, then i could Flavia complaining.

FORZA SARITA
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I don't get it. Is she saying the players shouldn't call for the trainer? If Rodionova was ill/injured she did bloody well to actually stay out there and take the loss!

did she say this?:rolleyes: nope:weirdo: she just said if you can barely move just retire from the match:rolleyes:

Zamboni
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Some people should read the article...
Flavia isn't complaining about Rodionova calling the trainer, she's complaining about her continuing play when she obviously wasn't able to compete in any way.

Michaelz
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
i didn't see nothing strange in flavia's words... she just said that a payer that is totally unable to play is better to retire ...

drake3781
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
well but exactly what was wrong with rodionova? :shrug: And again many people apparantly prefer players to stay on the court until the match even if they cant compete..:weirdo: So maybe many would be happy for her decision..

What the hell Flavia?

Rodionova did nothing wrong. People always find something to complain about. When players retire, people complain. When players are badly injured yet slug it out until the end, people complain.

I love Flavia and don't particularly like Rodionova, but :ras: to Flavia and :yeah: to Rodionova for toughing it out.

For once i agree with Rodionova. If she called for the trainer when she was leading 5-2, something must have been wrong. If she was behind 5-2, then i could Flavia complaining.

I agree with all of you here! Must be quite hot there in Bali!! Good on Nastya for toughing it out... you never know when you are going to get your wind back. No idea why Flavia made a stink... she got the win without the retirement, and by coming from a long way back because of Nastya's heat exhaustion.

I thought I liked Flavia, but no drama was needed here.

-sugi-
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:44 PM
To keep playing when you are suffering from an injury is commendable. I don't see why Flavia is complaining. :o

Anik
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM
not the first time that Rodionova act like that :o

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:48 PM
What the hell Flavia?

I got to agree with you right on down to the finest detail. Rodionova is certainly not my favourite player either but regarding taking the timeouts, well for the way she performed after the timeouts it was clear something must have been wrong so they were certainly legitimate timeouts and as to her decision to carry on, well if something was wrong with her I wouldn't criticise her for retiring but likewise if she felt she was up to carrying on then that is perfectly within her rights too. I should add, although Asnastasia isn't my favourite player, I hope whatever was wrong with her isn't serious.

As for Flavia I really don't know what she has to complain about, heck, she is in the quarterfinals after all.

Good luck in the next round Flavia but, come on, mellow out a bit. ;)

AlexBarrington
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:53 PM
However seems very strange this reaction from Flavia; it's more probable Nastya acted or did sth in the last games Flavia didnt like, not only the ""not-retire""

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Some people should read the article...
Flavia isn't complaining about Rodionova calling the trainer, she's complaining about her continuing play when she obviously wasn't able to compete in any way.

I appreciate that but it still doesn't seem a very legitimate gripe in my book. If Nastya wanted to give it a try despite being subpar surely that is within her rights and some would even say commendable.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM
However seems very strange this reaction from Flavia; it's more probable Nastya acted or did sth in the last games Flavia didnt like, not only the ""not-retire""

Yes, I kind of suspect this too. Nastya can be definately get under other peoples skin and it isn't hard to imagine her doing something which might have annoyed Flavia but just playing on alone shouldn't really have caused such a reaction.

Zamboni
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I appreciate that but it still doesn't seem a very legitimate gripe in my book. If Nastya wanted to give it a try despite being subpar surely that is within her rights and some would even say commendable.
Within her rights? Surely. I can understand Flavia's annoyance, but Rodionova had every right to keep playing.

But, commendable? I disagree. She was obviously suffering from heat disease. Another article said she was fighting not to faint during the break at 4-5. To keep playing like that is stupid IMO. You risk your health.

---

Salvo, there's a similar article on the Bali site. And it's typical Flavia to get annoyed by sth like this.
I don't think Rodionova would need to do anything else than be herself, and then get on court and just stand there. It doesn't take that much to set Flavia's temper off;)

drake3781
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:59 PM
not the first time that Rodionova act like that :o

Like what? :confused: Did you read the article? :rolleyes:

Anik
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Yep! i saw rodionova at toronto, miami... and she acted like that some times for breaking the momentum so it's not a surprise if it same here

drake3781
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Within her rights? Surely. I can understand Flavia's annoyance, but Rodionova had every right to keep playing.

But, commendable? I disagree. She was obviously suffering from heat disease. Another article said she was fighting not to faint during the break at 4-5. To keep playing like that is stupid IMO. You risk your health.

---

Salvo, there's a similar article on the Bali site. And it's typical Flavia to get annoyed by sth like this.

I agree with you, but he did say "some would say commendable". Obviously Nastya knew if it was going to risk her to stay or not, and she chose to stick it out. Playing through heat illness is not as bad as playing through an injury.

AlexBarrington
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:02 PM
When 2 "bitches" meet these things happen :lol::worship:

hankqq
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
When 2 "bitches" meet these things happen :lol::worship:

I know Pennetta is feisty on court, but is she a bitch? :eek: I've never heard anything bad about her...:confused:

Warrior
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Flavia has temper. It's nothing new.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM

---

I don't think Rodionova would need to do anything else than be herself, and then get on court and just stand there. It doesn't take that much to set Flavia's temper off;)

Well I agree with you that under those circumstances continuing probably wasn't the brightest the to do but Nastya isn't exactly known for sound balanced thinking. And when I say some people would find her continuing commendable I mean just that. I should add I am not amongst those "some people" which I refer too. :lol:

But as far as Flavia is concerned I suppose the one reason I can think of that Flavia could be pissed off is that she was also tired and she didn't want to have to go through the formality of finishing the match off in what were apparently unpleasant conditions, but to be fair that is part of the job, whether she likes it or not.

Zamboni
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Well I agree with you that under those circumstances continuing probably wasn't the brightest the to do but Nastya isn't exactly known for sound balanced thinking. And when I say some people would find her continuing commendable I mean just that. I should add I am not amongst those "some people" which I refer too. :lol:

But as far as Flavia is concerned I suppose the one reason I can think of that Flavia could be pissed off is that she was also tired and she didn't want to have to go through the formality of finishing the match off in what were apparently unpleasant conditions, but to be fair that is part of the job, whether she likes it or not.
:lol:
My reply on the commendable thing wasn't only aimed at you, but at everyone in this thread who said it was commendable.

I agree that Flavia was probably tired too - she mentioned it too. Apart from that, I would be annoyed too:shrug: You see your opponent can't play, and yet you're out there having to continue.
Knowing Flavia she showed her annoyance during the match too...(see my avatar) but she still should have kept her mouth shut in the press conference. Or word it differently at least:lol:

ViennaCalling
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
:lol:
My reply on the commendable thing wasn't only aimed at you, but at everyone in this thread who said it was commendable.

I agree that Flavia was probably tired too - she mentioned it too. Apart from that, I would be annoyed too:shrug: You see your opponent can't play, and yet you're out there having to continue.

1. That´s her job ... and it did not take her 3 hours to win the 2nd set after 2-5 :rolleyes:
2. Rodionova was up 5-2 ... why should she retire at this stage?
3. Tamira will hopefully play well tomorrow :p May the better girl win!

baleineau
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:55 PM
geez, give rodionova a break. she was ahead 4-0 and 5-2 but started to feel unwell. it is bali and she'd have had a long flight just a few days ago. it's good that she stuck it for the a few games. sounds to me like flavia would have been pissed if rodionova had retired at 2-5. flavia is clearly too hard to please.

and for those who say that rodionova calls the trainer often.......she plays a lot of events and travels a lot.....i can imagine that some people do get sick, run-down and have niggling injuries. that is what the trainer is there for, to try to enable you to stay out on court and compete.

Drake1980
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Anastasia!:lol:

dylan24
Sep 11th, 2008, 10:06 PM
no wonder carlos moya dumped pennetta
girl is crazy

young_gunner913
Sep 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Tell how it is Flava Flav!! :worship::bigclap: You shoulda smack that bich. :hearts::boxing: