PDA

View Full Version : Venus And Serena To Visit Africa

Marcell
Sep 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
http://en.afrik.com/article14449.html

Venus and Serena Williams in first joint African visit after US Open

Global tennis sensations Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, are due in Nigeria in November 2008 in what will be their first-ever joint visit to Africa, according to the organisers of the visit.

Tuesday 9 September 2008

’’The Williams sisters, in a meeting at the Plaza Athenee Hotel in Manhattan (New York) confirmed their visit for Nov. 10 to Nov 12,’’ the coordinator of the visit, Mr. Godwin Kienka, said Tuesday.

Mr. Kienka, who runs the International Tennis Academy in Lagos and publishes a tennis magazine - Tennis Africa, said the sisters would be coming with their mother, Oracene, as well as sister and manager Isha Price, trainers and other staffers.

He said the sisters would fly to the commercial city of Lagos directly from Doha, the capital of Qatar, after playing in the last tournament on the WTA calendar in that city

Mr. Kienka said the final confirmation of the visit was made during the New York meeting this week, and that Serena’s clothing sponsor Nike, as well as Wilson racquet and bag sponsors for both, are also interested in supporting the project.

The theme of the historic visit will be ’’Touching 1000 lives’’, adding that in addition to the sisters adopting an orphanage for sports programmes, ’’they will play an exhibition, run a short clinic and impact (on) 1000 youths.’’

It would be Venus’ first visit to Africa, whereas Serena had been to Ghana and Senegal.

Meanwhile, Mr. Kienka said a committee to plan the visit had been set up, with Chief A.K. Horsefall, former boss of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) as chairman. Panapress .

frontier
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:07 PM
giving back ...thats good

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM
:yeah:

frenchie
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:43 PM
The great news is that....

He said the sisters would fly to the commercial city of Lagos directly from Doha, the capital of Qatar, after playing in the last tournament on the WTA calendar in that city

winone23
Sep 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I hope they have nice trip.

Rocketta
Sep 11th, 2008, 01:03 PM
:awww: I want to go! :awww:

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 11th, 2008, 01:15 PM
excellent!

drake3781
Sep 11th, 2008, 01:16 PM
No update on Serena's school in Senegal?

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Coolio

eugreene2
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I'm beginning to think seriously about making the trip to Doha ... I wonder if it's sold out yet

Wannabeknowitall
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I love these girls and this is the reason I have such an issue with that fat fuck Leizel Huber.

Venus and Serena are African-Americans and never have forgetten where they come from and show their support of their background thru their actions as role models and just by going back.

For some reason Liezel can't do that.
She hasn't given back to Africa and her previous background country one bit which is interesting because her doubles partner Cara Black supports her country no matter what.
I'm proud of her for doing that but when it comes to Leizel Huber, she has a responsibility and she's not doing anything.
I'm incredibly dissapointed in her.

The fact that she would mention that she would adopt an American baby over a South African baby in a article years ago, doesn't show me nationalistic pride but the lack thereof.

serenus_2k8
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Great! They will play YEC since they wont drop out of the Africa visit and dissapoint so many people :woohoo:

vw.
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Nice! That shoudl be a great few days for them, as well as the people in Africa.
And they both plan on playing YEC this year!

Philbo
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I love these girls and this is the reason I have such an issue with that fat fuck Leizel Huber.

Venus and Serena are African-Americans and never have forgetten where they come from and show their support of their background thru their actions as role models and just by going back.

She hasn't given back to Africa and her previous background country one bit which is interesting because her doubles partner Cara Black supports her country no matter what.
I'm proud of her for doing that but when it comes to Leizel Huber, she has a responsibility and she's not doing anything.

The fact that she would mention that she would adopt an American baby over a South African baby in a article years ago, doesn't show me nationalistic pride but the lack thereof.

Do you have any idea what that 'fat fuck' Leizel Huber personally did for Katrina victims after the Hurricane?? (waiting for some irrelevant tirade in response)...

Philbo
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Adopted Families

Liezel's Cause will be helping a number of families and we would like to introduce you to our first! Meet the Riggelton family.
The Riggelton Family

http://www.liezelscause.com/photos/riggelton-family.jpg
They are extremely grateful and appreciative to everyone that has helped them by donating. They now have a fresh start thanks to your generosity.
Mervyn loves his new school and has made lots of new friends. Ben is an assistant manager at McDonalds and has a second job at Wal-Mart. Deidres volunteers at the church and Nolan will be 1 one the 29th of September (took his first steps last week). 10 Sept 2005
The Wright Family

http://www.liezelscause.com/photos/wright-family.jpg
Meet Quentin and his wife, Tameka, John(9), Justin(2) and Kaelyn(1). We were helping them get settled here in Houston, but then Quentin's job has moved them to Tallahasse. They left for their long drive this morning. John started school in Houston and loved it, but will start school again on Monday in Tallahasee. Hopefully they will be able to get Justin into school too, as he is very active. Kaelyn loves being held by mommy.
We were able to help them with clothing, a few toys for the little ones and money to get them into their apartment right away and for their immediate needs. We will miss them! 15 Sept 2005
The Jenkins Family

http://www.liezelscause.com/photos/jenkins-family.jpg
Zach and Venus, brother Clayton and older sis. As you can see we had gone to Wal-mart and bought some bedding and a much needed kitchen table and chairs! Dad assembled it very nicely and I got to see the finished product today when we delivered their beds! They love their new home. Clayton has made a lot of new friends, not just at school but in their neighbourhood. When I get there he is always outside with his basketball. Big sis wants to be outdoors too, but still working on finding her a bike. Then she can be just like her brother... making lots of new friends! 20 Sept 2005
The Franklin Family

http://www.liezelscause.com/photos/franklin-family.jpg
There is so many of them, but a great thrill to have met them and to be able to help them. Mother Patrina stays very busy! They too love their new apartment! Best of all, they live across the street from their new church. They too will be sleeping on their new beds tonight and eating a home cooked meal! 20 Sept 2005
We moved 3 families in today. The moving truck did not get returned today... It's been a long day...
Hurricane Rita

One of the families (a lady and her 7yr old daughter) we are helping from Hurricane Katrina, whom we moved in on Monday tried evacuating to Dallas. After 15 hours on the road, they had travelled a total of 25 miles! She called me and said they were almost out of gas. We told them to turn around and to come and stay with us, as we are not too far from where they were. She didn't mention that she had all her aunts, uncles, cousins, their children, grandma, etc. with her.
Last night we were a total of 19 in our house! All beds were occupied as well as sleeper couches, matresses, blow-up beds and sleeping bags. We had dinner for 19 - spaghetti, vegetables, bread, fruit and cookies and then this morning we all had breakfast too! Before they left, we emptied my gas cans into their cars to ensure that they made it home, which they did!
http://www.liezelscause.com/photos/family.jpg
Now we are are doing the last bit of preparation for the storm.
Just wanted to let you in on our eventful time here in Houston!
Thanks for the support and keep us in your prayers.
U-Haul Trip

This weekend was hectic! Ruthie (left) and Mariaan (centre) drove a U-Hual truck full of donated items from Atlanta which took them 15 hours! On the right is my friend Cas, an angel who has helped me everytime I have called her. This picture was taken of us having a break after we had unloaded half the truck. Once we had unloaded the truck we reloaded it with furniture to deliver to 4 of our families.
http://www.liezelscause.com/photos/u-haul.jpg
We also want to thank U-Hual in Atlanta for supporting our Cause and giving us a deal on the truck! Thanks again to Mariaan for working non-stop this past month making the collections. Thanks to Cas and Ruthie too! 3 Oct 2005
The Jenkins Family Update

This is a update picture of the Jenkins family. They are all smiles after we had made our delivery! The girls were especially excited because they now have so many Barbie things to play with!
http://www.liezelscause.com/photos/jenkins-family2.jpg
More Donations

Tony and Glenn flew to Tampa, FL on Friday. They stayed the night with Gigi and drove her truck back. Gigi's truck was packed to the top and Tony and Glen couldn't even fit their overnight bags in the back!! They had a few problems with the truck and a 15 hour trip took them 24 hours.
Thanks for doing this Tony and Glenn. We didn't get a picture of them, as they arrived back at 6am and went straight to sleep! A huge thanks to Gigi for donating all the furniture and also for giving your time to make all the rounds collecting.
I could never thank any of you enough! 3 Oct 2005
Laci and Baby Shaun

http://www.liezelscause.com/photos/laci-shaun.jpg
Laci Rouzan and baby Shaun. Dad (also Shaun) was still at work.
Shaun is a healthy baby boy and turned 6 months old last week! He doesn't just love his mommy, but Aunt Liezel too! Shaun and Laci are a newly-wed couple and have been dealt many things so far. I am happy to say they are Houstonians now! 11 Oct 2005
Pennia Family

http://www.liezelscause.com/photos/pennia-family.jpg
Teri and Patrick Pennia run a big household! Not only do they have 3 kids (Donald, Patrick and Sarah) but also their nephew, DeWayne and grandpa (77) rounding up the big Pennia Family!
The kids are in school. Mom and Dad are working hard. Now they are looking for a home that is a bit bigger so they can get settled in their new home and new schools. 11 Oct 2005
We are moving two more families over this weekend. Keep 'em

Philbo
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
For anyone else interested in the AMAZING work Leizel and her husband have done, here is their website..

http://www.liezelscause.com

hankqq
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:34 PM
nice to hear that about both the Williams sisters and Huber. :)

Some of these people don't do anything at all to help others, so I don't think we should judge the ones who do. :shrug:

~Kiera~
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:54 PM

That's simply not true.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?from=rss_News&set_id=6&click_id=0&art_id=vn20070130070527528C366352

In addition to providing continual financial aid to victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, "Liezel's Cause" also has other ventures, like improving a school in Durban.

"We're adding to a school in the city I grew up in. My husband and I are providing funds, and my father is building classrooms for them. Right now that school has 985 kids, and 80 kids to a classroom. They just don't have the funds. We want the kids to have their schooling."

She has also sponsored a tennis tournament in Pretoria.

Dodoboy.
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM
wannabeknowitall just owned beyond rescue! wow!

Anywayz! That is great news! I was born in Lagos, to bad i can't be there when they go :sad:

They will have a lot of fun there. There are definitely the most famous players in Africa bar none (understandably). Senegal and Ghana, Serena it's abo0bout time you go to the best :p

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
For anyone else interested in the AMAZING work Leizel and her husband have done, here is their website..

Good stuff :yeah:

simplydeep
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:36 PM
so they are going to Nigeria then not just landing in AFRICA

drake3781
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:40 PM
so they are going to Nigeria then not just landing in AFRICA

Yes; even more specifically, this is a 2-day trip to Lagos. :p

sweetpeas
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I thank them all!

woosey
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM

Anywayz! That is great news! I was born in Lagos, to bad i can't be there when they go :sad:

They will have a lot of fun there. There are definitely the most famous players in Africa bar none (understandably). Senegal and Ghana, Serena it's abo0bout time you go to the best :p

:haha:

woosey
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM

i guess she just prefers to help her new compatriots. :D

duhcity
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM
lol. Lets be honest. African-Americans are a far far far cry from native Africans.

It's great that they're donating, helping, and everything. Maybe they're going to rediscover their roots.
But they are not going to live a familiar culture. They are Black Americans. They have values far different than Native Africans.

Zweli
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I am getting into one of Serena's bags for this trip,I ain't missing this.:lol::lol:

Tamus
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:41 PM

:weirdo: on so many levels

Zweli
Sep 11th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I was wondering why a Serena /Venus visit to Africa was hijacked by Liezel Huber. WHO IS SHE BY THE WAY?
This thread is about true African-Americans who are visiting Africa not some Afrikaner DEFECTORS right.

frontier
Sep 11th, 2008, 10:54 PM
lol. Lets be honest. African-Americans are a far far far cry from native Africans.

It's great that they're donating, helping, and everything. Maybe they're going to rediscover their roots.
But they are not going to live a familiar culture. They are Black Americans. They have values far different than Native Africans.Have you ever travelled...your ignorance is amazing,once you start travelling you will open your eyes and see that people are basically the same.Everyone in the world has families,they worry about their kids just like everyone,they laugh and cry just like everyone.Its usually the less travelled that say the most ignorant things.could you explain to me black american culture...I hope you are not one of those people that were saying Obama is not one of you because his father was born in Kenya....:silly:Serena and Venus are well travelled young women who understand that they are citizens of the world and are not narrow minded like you:o:help:even Roger has been to Africa and has charities that he sponsors in South Africa his mother s country of origin.

Infiniti2001
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Africa in 2 days? :lol:

Pureracket
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I haven't heard anything, either. It sounds like it was just a rumor.What sources did you check?

friendsita
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:13 AM
so they both will be in doha at the yec, yesssssssssssssss

Rocketta
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:15 AM
What sources did you check?

besides his asshole, I doubt any. :tape:

lizchris
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:40 AM
so they both will be in doha at the yec, yesssssssssssssss

Venus hasn't qualified yet, has she?

Don't get me wrong, I know she is going to qualify, but I don't think she should say she is going to go to Doha if she has not officially qualified yet.

Wannabeknowitall
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Venus and Serena have helped out with Hurricane Katrina victims AND gone all over Africa and supported endeavors there as well.

That's the problem I have. This might be her home country now but because she felt that the South African tennis organization didn't do enough for her and I don't feel regardless of what she did with Americans, that's she's helping those in South Africa or Africa in general as Venus and Serena.

Venus and Serena weren't born in Africa. They were born in Compton. And they do a lot for that area too. Their sister died being a role model in Compton.
They see a responsibility for all not just all that have been nice to them.

Wannabeknowitall
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I was wondering why a Serena /Venus visit to Africa was hijacked by Liezel Huber. WHO IS SHE BY THE WAY?
This thread is about true African-Americans who are visiting Africa not some Afrikaner DEFECTORS right.

I like you.

Wannabeknowitall
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:35 AM

You really lack prudence.
What I find interesting about this is this is the same person who is getting so much satisfaction out of me supposedly getting "owned" and yet they gave me a rep less than three hours after the comment.

You're all over the place aren't ya.

It's a bit schizophrenic. They have pills for that honey.
Make it a mission to start using them.

:lol:
Why can't some of you people be real and just acknowledge there's some validity to the things I say without it being on the DL and then think I'm suppose to just stand there and laugh at myself being laughed at.
My God, how clueless are you dodo.
Oh that's right, the screenname says it ALL. :lol:

Goodday.

Dave.
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Venus and Serena have helped out with Hurricane Katrina victims AND gone all over Africa and supported endeavors there as well.

That's the problem I have. This might be her home country now but because she felt that the South African tennis organization didn't do enough for her and I don't feel regardless of what she did with Americans, that's she's helping those in South Africa or Africa in general as Venus and Serena.

Venus and Serena weren't born in Africa. They were born in Compton. And they do a lot for that area too. Their sister died being a role model in Compton.

When has Venus been to Africa before? The article says this will be her first time.

I really don't see your problem with Liezel Huber. It's clear she has done and continues to do extensive charity work and is making a difference in many people's lives. It doesn't matter whether it's in the US or Africa. There's no reason to be disappointed in her when she seems to be doing more than most other tennis players are, especially considering her position.

Serena and Venus are in a much better position to help in Africa than Liezel is. Besides, how do you know what other things Liezel does? Do you know everything about Liezel's relationship with South Africa?

Wannabeknowitall
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:49 AM
When has Venus been to Africa before? The article says this will be her first time.

I really don't see your problem with Liezel Huber. It's clear she has done and continues to do extensive charity work and is making a difference in many people's lives. It doesn't matter whether it's in the US or Africa. There's no reason to be disappointed in her when she seems to be doing more than most other tennis players are, especially considering her position.

Serena and Venus are in a much better position to help in Africa than Liezel is. Besides, how do you know what other things Liezel does? Do you know everything about Liezel's relationship with South Africa?

So I thought she went with Serena a few years ago. If she didn't it doesn't make her any less of a role model.
:yawn:
I know that she left South Africa because she felt she wasn't being respected my the RSA tennis organization but like Cara she should have been the bigger women (which she is) and stayed.
Bring as much reasonable doubt as you want prosecutor. :lol:
What if's don't roll in my court of law.
The defense rest.
Goodday.

Tamus
Sep 12th, 2008, 03:11 AM

You should have stopped while you were were ahead less behind. You obvious are ignorant with respect to the charitable deeds of a Serena, Venus, and Liezel, so you certainly aren't in the position to be judging any three of them.

Tamus
Sep 12th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Also, you really shouldn't judge the deeds of one person based off of the deeds of another.

enchantrezz
Sep 12th, 2008, 03:17 AM
You should have stopped while you were were ahead less behind. You obvious are ignorant with respect to the charitable deeds of a Serena, Venus, and Liezel, so you certainly aren't in the position to be judging any three of them.

I agree. When it comes to charitable deeds, there's no limit and no competition and one should be ashamed if you judge or criticize one's efforts to help people.

simplydeep
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Have you ever travelled...your ignorance is amazing,once you start travelling you will open your eyes and see that people are basically the same.Everyone in the world has families,they worry about their kids just like everyone,they laugh and cry just like everyone.Its usually the less travelled that say the most ignorant things.could you explain to me black american culture...I hope you are not one of those people that were saying Obama is not one of you because his father was born in Kenya....:silly:Serena and Venus are well travelled young women who understand that they are citizens of the world and are not narrow minded like you:o:help:even Roger has been to Africa and has charities that he sponsors in South Africa his mother s country of origin.

I beg to differ here because ones struggles in an African country is way more different/difficult than once struggle in the first world, while some may struggle for money or a place to live ones in the 3rd world are struggling to just stay alive.

Yes everyone has families blah blah blah but the poster said that they are a far far cry from native Africans, which i also beg to differ if you connect with your past that never leaves you and helps shape who you are whether you are first generation or fifth generation African or from wherever. If their family keeps up with their history i see no reason why they would depart from those values

frontier
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I beg to differ here because ones struggles in an African country is way more different/difficult than once struggle in the first world, while some may struggle for money or a place to live ones in the 3rd world are struggling to just stay alive.

Yes everyone has families blah blah blah but the poster said that they are a far far cry from native Africans, which i also beg to differ if you connect with your past that never leaves you and helps shape who you are whether you are first generation or fifth generation African or from wherever. If their family keeps up with their history i see no reason why they would depart from those values
the western world has its problems too..people popping meds for depression, anxiety taking drugs to ease their pain.I have travelled a lot and one thing that amazed me was the happiness in Africans,their situation could be dire but always seem happy which is lacking in the western world and they smile a lot.Happiness is not found in material things but in family togetherness.I see a lot a lot of misery here ,unmarried mothers drug addicts hooked on anything and everything,heard on tv pedophilia....really terrible.Katrina showed the world that America is not so great a place...gun violence,black on black crime,white on white crime ,police brutality...is this world any better than African life:rolleyes:

Philbo
Sep 12th, 2008, 04:03 PM
the western world has its problems too..people popping meds for depression, anxiety taking drugs to ease their pain.I have travelled a lot and one thing that amazed me was the happiness in Africans,their situation could be dire but always seem happy which is lacking in the western world and they smile a lot.Happiness is not found in material things but in family togetherness.I see a lot a lot of misery here ,unmarried mothers drug addicts hooked on anything and everything,heard on tv pedophilia....really terrible.Katrina showed the world that America is not so great a place...gun violence,black on black crime,white on white crime ,police brutality...is this world any better than African life:rolleyes:

I agree with your point about happiness etc. Ive travelled extensively through South Africa/Mozambique and at first I felt terribly when I would see the shanty towns and the poverty that many people live in... But when you actually met the locals and played football or whatever with them, you could see that they had a simple happiness about them, that as long as basic needs are met, a strong family unit is a large part of what makes one happy..

It also taught me not to assume that because people live under different standards to what Im used to, I should not neccesarily feel sorry for them because it doesnt equate to happiness...

Dodoboy.
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:42 PM
You really lack prudence.
What I find interesting about this is this is the same person who is getting so much satisfaction out of me supposedly getting "owned" and yet they gave me a rep less than three hours after the comment.

You're all over the place aren't ya.

It's a bit schizophrenic. They have pills for that honey.
Make it a mission to start using them.

:lol:
Why can't some of you people be real and just acknowledge there's some validity to the things I say without it being on the DL and then think I'm suppose to just stand there and laugh at myself being laughed at.
My God, how clueless are you dodo.
Oh that's right, the screenname says it ALL. :lol:

Goodday.

huh?

I didn't give you a rep for this did I? It was some comment in NT right?

THAT was a good comment, so i gave you a rep. A rep doesn't mean i agree with EVERY SINGLE thing you have posted and will post :lol:

Who is getting satisfaction from it? You did just get 'owned'. You made a bad comment, someone called you out on it with various articles and even pictures. A multi-media ownage. So i felt it appropriate that i comment on that ownage because it doesn't happen very often.

I don't think you understand what that green dot means, dude :)

sipnsurfMurph
Sep 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM
A multi-media ownage.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

frontier
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I agree with your point about happiness etc. Ive travelled extensively through South Africa/Mozambique and at first I felt terribly when I would see the shanty towns and the poverty that many people live in... But when you actually met the locals and played football or whatever with them, you could see that they had a simple happiness about them, that as long as basic needs are met, a strong family unit is a large part of what makes one happy..

It also taught me not to assume that because people live under different standards to what Im used to, I should not neccesarily feel sorry for them because it doesnt equate to happiness...have you ever been to Cape Town one of the most beautiful places in the world...simply breathtaking:hearts:

woosey
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:41 PM

It also taught me not to assume that because people live under different standards to what Im used to, I should not neccesarily feel sorry for them because it doesnt equate to happiness...

do you really believe they are actually happy?

a lot of kids in the hood or in other poor areas in the u.s. play around and act happy too. but the problem is that by virtue of living in a shanty town, you probably experience violence, lawlessness, poor access to water, no money for food, no clothing for children, no education and a host of other things that may make living a struggle.

and since racism and the wealth whites accumulated all those years in control of south african may continue to make life difficult - i would not go too far saying they are happy.

i mean, smiles can be deceptive.

Vespertine69
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Have you ever travelled...your ignorance is amazing,once you start travelling you will open your eyes and see that people are basically the same.Everyone in the world has families,they worry about their kids just like everyone,they laugh and cry just like everyone.Its usually the less travelled that say the most ignorant things.could you explain to me black american culture...I hope you are not one of those people that were saying Obama is not one of you because his father was born in Kenya....:silly:Serena and Venus are well travelled young women who understand that they are citizens of the world and are not narrow minded like you:o:help:even Roger has been to Africa and has charities that he sponsors in South Africa his mother s country of origin.

It's quite the opposite of ignorance to realise that that there are differences between cultures... why does it make a person untravelled or ignorant to believe this? Humans all share a basis of similarity of course, but there are a lot of pretty seismic differences between the countries and social and ethnic classifications in which we exist. This isn't a bad thing, it's not a judgement of who is better or anything like that... just a factual issue - it's not an ignorance to notice that people are different, it only becomes an ignorance when people abuse or think less of those different to themselves.

sipnsurfMurph
Sep 15th, 2008, 07:48 AM
do you really believe they are actually happy?

Happy about what? It's pure "1st world" arrogance to imagine poorer folks experience diminished happiness. If you're happy all the time you're a loon, unhappy all the time you're a loon. Happy is a fleeting thing for rational folks.

Absolutely guaranteed? Poor folks will find happiness in ways the more affluent can't begin to conceptualize. Being happy isn't contentment, just an ability to appreciate less stressful times.

Of course the truly ignorant blowhard, will imagine that hearing your child's first word, watching their first step, receiving an unexpected benefit, acknowledging a courtesy positively, etc.............will deny certain economic/hardship/continents this fleeting happiness thang. It's the kind of unconsciousness that describes only the most complete morons tho'..........

BTW, yes, poor, disadvantaged folks have moments of happiness.....just like everyone else.