PDA

View Full Version : The Williams recent success is due to the retirement/sidelining of their major rivals

Pages : 1 2 [3]

mdterp01
Feb 13th, 2010, 01:11 AM
LOL people have been bumpin the SHIT out of threads since the Australian Open final!! :lol: Yall are a mess!!!

Tennisstar86
Feb 13th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Ouch :tape:

hahaha, hey I like Hingis, and respect her as a player.... people who take away from a champion saying they didnt play anyone... I mean someone HAD to win those majors.... Thats what Hingis did...

I just had to call the poster out claiming the williams sisters have no competition when the person in their name is the transition player between Graf and HenSerNus..... much like Hewitt is the transition player between Sampras and Federer

Aaron.
May 31st, 2010, 02:11 AM
:(

mykarma
May 31st, 2010, 02:38 AM
Justine 2-7 -v- Venus Williams and you call that a major rival? Round these parts that's called Venus' bytch!
:lol::lol::lol:

goldenlox
May 31st, 2010, 03:58 AM
Henin has not lost a set to Venus since when, 2002?
That's a long time and Justine has won more majors than Venus from 2002 thru 2010, more than double, 7-3
Who's the bitch?

That h2h reflects Justine's game before she ever won a major.
Does not reflect their careers

Donny
May 31st, 2010, 04:08 AM
That's a long time and Justine has won more majors than Venus from 2002 thru 2010, more than double, 7-3
Who's the bitch?

So it's not fair to compare pre slam winning Henin to peak Venus, but comparing past her prime Venus to peak Henin is fair game? Sorry, I call bullshit. Especially since the best tennis of Venus' career came in 2008 and 2009, when Henin chose to sit out from tennis. These "well Henin didn't win a slam' qualifications are unfair to Venus.

goldenlox
May 31st, 2010, 04:11 AM
You can compare all you want. Since 2002, the numbers are clear.
Serena and Justine have pulled away by far as the 2 best players. That's 8 years and no one else is close over that time.
When we get to 2012, it will be 10 years, a full decade, with no one close to those 2 for a full decade.

goldenlox
May 31st, 2010, 04:18 AM
And that brings another issue. Since Wimbledon 2003, Serena did not win a major with Justine in the draw until 2010.
Thats a long time with the 2 best players.
If they play here, thats another big historic match.
I think the Williams sisters are all time greats. But so is Henin.
On this surface, maybe goat

matty
May 31st, 2010, 04:20 AM
Really--could have sworn Serena just beat Henin at the AO. And if you try to say, well Justine had just come back, then you'd have to say the same for Serena when she won the 2007 AO.

I'd say being able to stay healthy and keep your head straight mentally is all part of the game. (Sharapova, Clijsters, Henin have had their issues).

But then if your thread is true, you could say that because the Williams were injured, distracted etc. it allowed other players to have success.

Plus, wasn't Henin in the draw like in 2007 when Venus won Wimbledon--or was it 2008--can't remember...

Anyway you put it, a record is a record and at the end of the day, Serena will still have her slams and her weeks at #1-Venus will have her slams and titles, too. Can't take it away from them.

bandabou
May 31st, 2010, 04:21 AM
Ooppss...somebody forgot this years Oz open? Who did Serena beat in the final again? Man, do people really forget this quickly?

goldenlox
May 31st, 2010, 04:29 AM
The story is not finished yet. Justine and Serena are still at the top of the sport, still playing. Kim, Maria, Venus all still around
The next few years will complete the book on them

Tech1
May 31st, 2010, 04:33 AM
Really--could have sworn Serena just beat Henin at the AO. And if you try to say, well Justine had just come back, then you'd have to say the same for Serena when she won the 2007 AO.

I'd say being able to stay healthy and keep your head straight mentally is all part of the game. (Sharapova, Clijsters, Henin have had their issues).

But then if your thread is true, you could say that because the Williams were injured, distracted etc. it allowed other players to have success.

Anyway you put it, a record is a record and at the end of the day, Serena will still have her slams and her weeks at #1-Venus will have her slams and titles, too. Can't take it away from them.
:worship::worship:

Stamp Paid
May 31st, 2010, 04:36 AM
Who's the bitch?

Does not reflect their careershttp://i50.tinypic.com/30sx1tu.gif
I dont know why seeing you post that just made me scream

Chakvenus
May 31st, 2010, 04:41 AM
Who's the bitch?

im sorry but this argument just seems foolish.
since 2002, Justine and Venus have only played one match, and that was when Henin was in her dominant stage, just as Venus won all her matches against Henin when she was in her dominant stage. you can't try and say that Venus' victories don't count but Justine's do.
and how the hell does Justine's more recent slam success or whatever you were saying from 2002 to 2010 have anything to do with being someone's bitch?? they both have 7, and you cant pretend that Justine's majors were better or anything either. if anything, out of those 14 combined slams, Venus' Wimbledon 05 was the most remarkable. im sorry but i just dont agree with your argument.

VeeJJ
May 31st, 2010, 04:56 AM
JJ is the weakest #1 or all time????

JJ>Vee 6-5 JJ=Serena 5=5 :wavey:

she is ohhh so weak......:cuckoo:

JJ def. Venus at her best major the grass at Wimby

JJ def. Serena at her best slam Aussie Open

if ya'll start giving me that peak form not peak form shit i may just end your life.....

Aaron.
May 31st, 2010, 05:44 AM
http://i50.tinypic.com/30sx1tu.gif
I dont know why seeing you post that just made me scream Same here :lol:

goldenlox
May 31st, 2010, 08:12 AM
Justine has a huge effect on the rest of the tour. So does Serena.
Since 2001 Venus only has an huge effect on the tour at Wimbledon.

Pops Maellard
May 31st, 2010, 08:35 AM
Justine has a huge effect on the rest of the tour. So does Serena.
Since 2001 Venus only has an huge effect on the tour at Wimbledon.
You can't be #2 in the world by only impacting the tour at one tournament. :lol:

You should've quit while you were ahead. :kiss:

Slutiana
May 31st, 2010, 08:40 AM
And that brings another issue. Since Wimbledon 2003, Serena did not win a major with Justine in the draw until 2010.
Thats a long time with the 2 best players.
If they play here, thats another big historic match.
I think the Williams sisters are all time greats. But so is Henin.
On this surface, maybe goat
You think Henin is the greatest claycourter ever?

My face just contacted my palm.

narutos
May 31st, 2010, 08:47 AM
You can't be #2 in the world by only impacting the tour at one tournament. :lol:

You should've quit while you were ahead. :kiss:

I like Venus but this is true her ranking doesn't matter Wozniacki was N2 tell me where did she make an impact? The Tour mostly depend on Henin, Serena, Clijsters and Sharapova. Venus need to be more regular at OZ and FO

chuvack
May 31st, 2010, 08:53 AM
LOL at seeing this thread again. Still, it seems with hindsight that I was more correct than not...

edificio
May 31st, 2010, 09:04 AM
LOL at seeing this thread again. Still, it seems with hindsight that I was more correct than not...

No you were not correct, even in hindsight.

goldenlox
May 31st, 2010, 09:08 AM
You think Henin is the greatest claycourter ever?

My face just contacted my palm.I said maybe. She has several years to decide that
If she wins 28 in a row getting thru this draw, she has to be in the discussion

bandabou
May 31st, 2010, 09:23 AM

Still think so? :lol:

sammy01
May 31st, 2010, 10:13 AM
So it's not fair to compare pre slam winning Henin to peak Venus, but comparing past her prime Venus to peak Henin is fair game? Sorry, I call bullshit. Especially since the best tennis of Venus' career came in 2008 and 2009, when Henin chose to sit out from tennis. These "well Henin didn't win a slam' qualifications are unfair to Venus.

wht a load of shit. you of all people know a h2h can be skewed because of the points at which people play in their careers. but ok with your logic ASV obviously is better and owns serena :worship:

MrSerenaWilliams
May 31st, 2010, 03:04 PM
Well, since the US Open, Kim and Justine have claimed 0 majors...:shrug:

Where's the whole "the tour has passed them up" argument that people were running around saying when Venus and Serena came back?

DemWilliamsGulls
May 31st, 2010, 03:11 PM
Chuvack (starter of the thread) you are on some straight up bull shit. They've dominated the tour with Clijsters, Henin, Seles, The Russians, Capriati, Davenport all played at the same time back in early 2000's. Serena seems to be dominating the tour now and Venus dominates Wimbledon. They are doing it and not even in the form they use to be when they were younger...thats was hot. Dont hate...you know the Williams Sisters are 2 of the baddest chics in tennis. ;) They win a slam almost every year (BOTH OF THEM)

Donny
May 31st, 2010, 03:17 PM
wht a load of shit. you of all people know a h2h can be skewed because of the points at which people play in their careers. but ok with your logic ASV obviously is better and owns serena :worship:

Of course. But what people here seem to be arguing is that current results matter more than results from the early 2000's, even though that unfairly benefits Henin.

Henin made a Wimbledon final in 2001. She was playing slam winning caliber tennis. Yet for some reason, we should completely disregard the next two years because she didn't *actually* win a slam until then. Nonsense. It'd be like ignoring Serena's matches against basically everyone until 2002 because 'she was a different player before then'. Well no fucking duh, why does that matter?

As to the ASV Serena H2H: Their head to head proves that in the period during whic hthey both played tennis, ASV got the better of Serena most of the time they played. Nothing more, nothing less. The same as Bammer's h2h with Serena.

Tennis Ball
May 31st, 2010, 03:38 PM
Of course.

Matt01
May 31st, 2010, 04:03 PM

:weirdo:

What a stupid, pointless, ridiculous stat.

timafi
May 31st, 2010, 04:14 PM

Where's the whole "the tour has passed them up" argument that people were running around saying when Venus and Serena came back?

sorry to remind you but it's been a while now since Venus has won a slam;whether Wimbledon or any slam for that matter so I wouldn't be yapping out of my ass like that if I were you:tape:

gmokb
May 31st, 2010, 04:20 PM
How did this stupid thread get to 36 pages?????????????????

MrSerenaWilliams
May 31st, 2010, 06:16 PM

well 0-2 in 2010 is pretty significant considering that Kim was a HUGE favorite for theAO, and ditto for Justine in Paris. Their chances to win in London are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than at the other 3, and I only see them as possible contender for the US, that said, it's a long way to go, but still.

I just that it's very interesting that the two players that people have claimed would keep Serena (and Venus to a lesser extent) haven't won a major this year. :shrug:

Noctis
May 31st, 2010, 06:19 PM

Serena won AO while Justine and Kim were both in the tournament
While Serena def. Henin in the final. I guess this is ridculous too. Oh wait Justine was injured wait the finger or her brain ?

MrSerenaWilliams
May 31st, 2010, 06:19 PM
sorry to remind you but it's been a while now since Venus has won a slam;whether Wimbledon or any slam for that matter so I wouldn't be yapping out of my ass like that if I were you:tape:

clearly you haven't paid much attention to my SN, avatar, or signature: I could give a fuck about Venus. (no shade :shrug: )

even still, she's #2 in singles (and closing in on a share of the #1 doubles ranking)

omoruyi
May 31st, 2010, 06:51 PM
was this thread locked for the entirety of 2009?

Olórin
May 31st, 2010, 07:02 PM

No. And looking at your other thread attempts you've pretty much failed across the board sadly.

cellophane
May 31st, 2010, 07:08 PM
I just that it's very interesting that the two players that people have claimed would keep Serena (and Venus to a lesser extent) haven't won a major this year. :shrug:

Kim already did it last year :wavey:

AO was a freak loss... and the French, well, she is injured...

As for Justine :shrug: Depends on whether she can bring up her level...

I wouldn't expect Serena/Venus to be stopped at Wimby, as they are the best on grass :shrug:

RVD
May 31st, 2010, 07:40 PM

Plus, wasn't Henin in the draw like in 2007 when Venus won Wimbledon--or was it 2008--can't remember...

Anyway you put it, a record is a record and at the end of the day, Serena will still have her slams and her weeks at #1-Venus will have her slams and titles, too. Can't take it away from them.Very nicely stated. :cool:

RVD
May 31st, 2010, 07:57 PM
This has to be the WORST EPIC FAIL thread ever.

http://www.samizdata.net/blog/~pdeh/epicFAIL.jpg

I mean, the thread starter completely jumps the gun on BOTH Venus and Serena's careers, wherein now we discover they've climbed back to #1& #2 in the world. THEN he returns once again to claim that what he originally wrote was true once more?!! :banghead: :smash: :silly:

Matt01
May 31st, 2010, 09:34 PM
Serena won AO while Justine and Kim were both in the tournament
While Serena def. Henin in the final. I guess this is ridculous too. Oh wait Justine was injured wait the finger or her brain ?

Did you understand my post? No? Then STFU. :)