PDA

View Full Version : Aleksandra Wozniak: a One-Hit Wonder?

DeliriousPotato
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Oh me, oh my... Alek had a major breakthrough at Stanford but before that and since then, she has had absolutely no big result... Is/Was she only a one-tournament winning player??? :tape:

Darop.
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Haven't seen her play many times, apart from Stanford where she was in a state of glory.

Surely don't think she can repeat play and wins which she had in Stanford all year round.

RJWCapriati
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Definitely one hit

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I think its still to early to tell:). Hopefully she can have a few more solid results this fall including a nice showing in Quebec :D:bounce:,

Ryan
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I think she'll probably never win a Tier 2 again, but she's definitely better than first round losses to Craybas. I actually think if she didnt have such a shitty USO draw she could have made it to the 3rd or 4th round. She's just got to stay focused and keep plugging away.

Jakeev
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:40 AM
You see this on the men's tour also. But winning a significant title when you haven't really been consistent on tour beforehand doesn't really mean a player is gonna keep it going in the future.

Winning Stanford should have been a career builder for her but that didn't happen as of yet. She still has to go out there and figure out how to play like she did in California everytime she travels to the next event.

I watched her play Lindsay at the U.S. Open and she only had moments of the how she played Bartoli earlier in the Summer.

I kinda think Wozniak's biggest issue might me her mental toughness.

LindsayRulz
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:44 AM
She lost to Jankovic and Davenport after Stanford, the loss against Craybas yesterday was her first bad loss since Stanford. But yeah she probably won't win another tier II in her career.

Craig.
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Nahh. She's still a little inconsistent. She hasn't played that well since Stanford, but with a little more experience and mental toughness (she can get REALLY down on herself in matches), she may very well become the best Canadian player in the history of tennis.

wild.river
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:56 AM
of course she'll win more titles.

Hurley
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:31 AM
She may win another tournament, but once those points come off, she will never come close to being ranked in the Top 40 again.

Jakeev
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:02 AM
She lost to Jankovic and Davenport after Stanford, the loss against Craybas yesterday was her first bad loss since Stanford. But yeah she probably won't win another tier II in her career.
Actually she only won a game against Flavia Pennetta just a day or two after winning Stanford. Was kinda sad because she really had no time between matches to wind down after traveling from San Francisco to L.A.

The top players are used to that but that was a first I think for Aleks

sammy01
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Aleksandra Wozniak = Macarena (you can all do the dance!)

switz
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Aleksandra Wozniak = Macarena (you can all do the dance!)

are you saying we can all do Wozniak? :confused: i had no idea she was slutty :lol:

seriously though how many players have high quality tier II tournaments and gone on to do nothing else? i would suggest very few. she probably will never be a world beater but she'll make her way eventually i would imagine. although having said that i've never seen her play so i could be wrong.

Drake1980
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I think she's adjusting to her new found fame and respect. She'll start winning again soon! She did make QF of Cincinnati after Stanford.;)

fatty sausage
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Alek is a decent enough player but remember when she won the Stanford Tournament, she defeated an injured Serena in the semis and an injured Marion in the Finals.

Protoss
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Alek is a decent enough player but remember when she won the Stanford Tournament, she defeated an injured Serena in the semis and an injured Marion in the Finals.
Bartoli was injured? She seemed to be moving fine within points.

Wozniak hasn't defeated any top 30 players since Stanford and only once defeated a top 30 player before Stanford.

frontier
Sep 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
she needs to work on her fitness

Jem
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Wozniack seemed go into a tailspin after she reached her first final -- somewhere in Europe a year or so ago. However, I don't think her results have been awful at all since Stanford. Jill Craybas has beaten a lot of good players through the years, so losing to her is not awful. Winning Stanford doesn't make Wozniack a top player by any means, but neither does a few losses after it suggest she doesn't have good things in store down the line, if she works hard. You can find a pretty long list of higher-level WTA tournaments where someone has come out of nowhwere to win a big event, so it's not that unusual. I was happy for Wozniack. She played well in Stanford and took advantage of her opportunities. Here's wishing her continued success!

Malva
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Aleksandra Wozniak: a One-Hit Wonder?

Way too early to say that. She even didn't have too many opportunities to play after Stanford.

wales1994
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I thought she did well at the French Open??

vadin124
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:16 PM
one word...yes.

babuska6
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Definitely she won't be a star in the future..I agree she is a one-hit wonder:o

Ryan
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I thought she did well at the French Open??

She did, made the 3rd round and lost to Vera. She also made the final of Fes in 2007 I believe. She's got the potential to be top 30 if she improves her fitness and consistency.

Anik
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:00 PM
she's only 21

dany.p
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Stanford showed that she can hangs with the girls on tour, nothing else. In the tournament she beat serena through retirement and then bartoli in the final. Anyway, her results haven't even been that bad since then. You can't expect her to win tier II tournaments left, right and centre just because of Stanford. She completely deserved to win there, and personally i was impressed with her form , so i'm not diminishing the win just because of who she faced. Just allow her some time to regain that form before deeming her a one-hit wonder.

jonny84
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I hope not. I am sure she can go onto win more titles. She has had some unlucky draws like facing Davenport first round in New York and Jankovic in Canada.

DeliriousPotato
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Lol, don't get me wrong! I love seeing her play, but I just have my doubts... She has been playing rather good lately (excluding her 1st Round exit at the Oz Open this week)

Cakeisgood
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Aleks will return. :devil:

RenaSlam.
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:31 PM
We wave to her with glee.

HOS
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I really like Aleks, have been really disappointed in ehr results in OZ.
Unfortunaelty, having read her blog in QC where she said she was keen to do a big off season- I was expecting her to look fitter.
I watched her match against Sabine L in the 1st round and she looks pretty much the same weight. I am not saying she is heavy- she is a normal weight but she could be a bit quicker. The pink dress she wears is cute but not so fl;attering on her body shape.
In her defnese, Sabine L played a great game. She has a masive massive serve and that was the main difference. IN regards to groundies and cvonsistancy, they were about the same.

I really really hope she can have some soplid reuslts before Stanford comes around. She has entrered the clay events in Feb/March so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

I also she and Danny nestor can get to the mixed final.

She answered bmy question in her blog about training hanging out with the other canadians, I tghought ehr repsoisne of 'we are at different levels' was a bit harsh. Given MEP and Steph also live in Mobntreal I think- maybe training wiwth them would be easy I thought? Maybe she and MEP and Dubois don';t get along?

Ciarán
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Yes.

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:54 AM
She answered bmy question in her blog about training hanging out with the other canadians, I tghought ehr repsoisne of 'we are at different levels' was a bit harsh. Given MEP and Steph also live in Mobntreal I think- maybe training wiwth them would be easy I thought? Maybe she and MEP and Dubois don';t get along?

Marie-Eve doesn't train in Montreal. But Steph does. And Valerie Tetreault and Sharon Fichman.

And you are right, Steph and Aleks don't train together. They don't hate each other and throw things, but they certainly are not the greatest of friends. The only thing they have in common is being a tennis player from Quebec. Two different people, too different to hang out.

And Yes I also found that answer harsh.