PDA

View Full Version : Will Svetlana Kuznetsova reach an indoor final in her career?

LudwigDvorak
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Not necessarily in 2008, but her results indoors have always fascinated me immensely.

2003:
Leipzig 1R - l. to Hantuchova
Moscow 2R - l. to Smashnova
W/L: 1-2

2004:
Filderstadt SF - l. to Mauresmo
Moscow QF - l. to Dementieva
YEC RR - l. to Sharapova/Mauresmo
W/L: 4-4

2005:
Tokyo SF - l. to Davenport
Moscow QF - l. to Schiavone
Zurich 1R - l. to Dechy
W/L: 4-3

2006:
Stuttgart SF - l. to Petrova
Moscow 2R - l. to Zvonareva
Zurich SF - l. to Hantuchova
YEC RR - l. to Clijsters/Sharapova
W/L: 5-5

2007:
Paris [i] QF - l. to Safarova
Stuttgart SF - l. to Golovin
Moscow SF - l. to S. Williams
Zurich QF - l. to Schiavone
YEC RR - l. to Ivanovic/Sharapova/Hantuchova
W/L: 6-7

2008:
Stuttgart 1R - l. to Schnyder
Moscow QF - l. to Safina
W/L: 2-2

W/L: 22-23

She's got six semifinals to her name indoors, three in Germany and one in Tokyo/Zurich/Moscow. She even has a couple good scalps indoors, namely Serena Williams in Stuttgart last year and arguably Elena Dementieva in Madrid two years ago. She beat Hingis as well in Zurich.

But it's not a great record she's got up there. Will she do it (eventually)?

Brooklyn90
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Yes, she came close last year.

Beny
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:13 PM
she's really unimpressive indoors. Don't know why though.. her match against Serena was very good last year, she lost to her next week though :tape:

Dave.
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
You would think she had reached one by now but she hasen't and there's nothing to really suggest she will. Indoor tournaments are the hardest to make finals in because the draws are always so small so you have to play well and beat top players repeatedly to get there. There's no room for a lapse, which Sveta has been prone to.

AndreConrad
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM
It is hard to predict in current state of Svetlana's affairs; she has to put her career back together which she is fully capable of. If in fact she will do it I think she will have success indoor as well.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM
She'll definitely reach an indoors final at some point of her career but I won't guarantee she'd win the final.:tape:

jonny84
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:07 PM
She should do - thats if there is an indoor tournament she can play thanks to the decimation of the indoor circuit!

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
If there is a T4 indoor tournament , then sure..

Demska
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:10 PM
She played amazing vs Serena at Stuttgart QF. Totally outpowered, outhit and out thought her to the point where she won 14 points in a row.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Yes , she will

Sveta is too good

hankqq
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Kuznetsova should do it eventually. She has the ability to shorten points and hit big shots when she wants to :shrug: Sometimes she plays defensively, but she did play nice and aggressively against Serena last year.

The only thing is that especially indoors, her backhand wing can really be attacked by the big hitters.

LudwigDvorak
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:00 PM
She should do - thats if there is an indoor tournament she can play thanks to the decimation of the indoor circuit!

I was hoping someone would notice this. I'll good rep you promptly when this post is done. :yeah:

Sveta's best chance ( :unsure: ) is this year to reach an indoor final. After this year, it's pretty much only going to be in Paris, Moscow, Belgrade, or Zurich where she has a chance. And that's not much of a wingspan.

Usually I see people mention that her topspin is rendered fairly useless indoors. I wonder how true that holds?

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
after this yr there's only 2 indoor tourns left
Moscow and Paris.

Yarden
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I hope she will, I still remember her great match against Serena last year, She was really close that tournament, I doubt she will reach an indoor final this year, but she will definitely do it in the next 2 years :yeah:

babuska6
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:31 PM
This year definitely she won´t
In her career I don´t know

baleineau
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Moscow and Paris.

that can't be right?? what about zurich, filderstadt, luxembourg, quebec city, tokyo???

LDF
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Moscow and Paris.

Whoa, I hadn't realised that. It's really sad that the entire indoor season will be pretty much scrapped; it's one of the best times of the year IMO and because there are no outdoor conditions to contend with, you get some high quality matches. :(

AnywhereButHome
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
no

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM
that can't be right?? what about zurich, filderstadt, luxembourg, quebec city, tokyo???

Tokyo is outdoors now
Filderstadt (Stuttgart) Zurich are gone

Luxembourg and Quebec City are Tier III so dont really count.
i meant Tier II & above

SOA_MC
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Yes

LudwigDvorak
Sep 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I am torn. Tokyo was held indoors the entire tournament aside from the first day, but it's not officially accredited as "indoors." Should I anyway? :o

Ciarán
Sep 24th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Yes, I don't see why she can't?

Lulu.
Sep 24th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Most likely but like she does in all finals, she'll lose.

laurie
Sep 24th, 2008, 07:13 PM
This is also something I find baffling, kind of like Becker never winning a clay court tournament - I don't see what the problem is, no wind to affect her ball toss, the bounce of the courts should be true, she's probably hardly ever played on fast indoor carpet like old Filderstadt - Paris Open may be the last one left for the women at tier 2 or above which is indoor carpet.

You have to think she will win an indoor tournament somewhere along the way. The only critcism I would have is that seeing her play Hantuchova last November in Madrid (2nd set was not funny :() I observed that night that too often Svetlana was too far behind the baseline and rocked back on her heels and dropping her groundstrokes short, allowing Hantuchova to attack her. To be good indoors you have to be the one taking the game to the opponent and coming forward, taking the initiative. That's soomething she's working on anyway so we'll see.

Destiny
Sep 24th, 2008, 07:17 PM
she should

Serena's Hubby
Sep 25th, 2008, 04:03 AM
OMG PEOPLE Kuzzie got to the final of the China Open where she lost to serena in a great match right after the USO.....she has made a final!!!!!!!!!!2004 come on it was a classic match lol

LudwigDvorak
Sep 25th, 2008, 04:06 AM
OMG PEOPLE Kuzzie got to the final of the China Open where she lost to serena in a great match right after the USO.....she has made a final!!!!!!!!!!2004 come on it was a classic match lol

Wasn't indoors, Mr. Baby Daddy.

DUKE3
Sep 25th, 2008, 04:49 AM
no, she is the female version of james blake

sammy01
Sep 25th, 2008, 05:23 AM
i don't know, she seems to realy suck for the most part indoors, yes she had a good win over serena but from what i've seen, she stands to far back, and her technique on both forehand and backhand isn't upto scratch when rushed, she loses control of them very easily. its why her best results come on medium pace hardcourts and clay courts.

laurie
Sep 25th, 2008, 08:24 AM
i don't know, she seems to realy suck for the most part indoors, yes she had a good win over serena but from what i've seen, she stands to far back, and her technique on both forehand and backhand isn't upto scratch when rushed, she loses control of them very easily. its why her best results come on medium pace hardcourts and clay courts.

Interesting because she won the US Open on the fastest hardcourt which uses light fast balls (Wilson).

Maybe she does seem a bit rushed so maybe she has to work on her movement (footwork) more in training.

sammy01
Sep 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Interesting because she won the US Open on the fastest hardcourt which uses light fast balls (Wilson).

Maybe she does seem a bit rushed so maybe she has to work on her movement (footwork) more in training.

the us open isn't that fast. and lets face it she fluked that slam, davenport had her in the semi's untill the injury and she played lena d in the final :o

laurie
Sep 25th, 2008, 10:00 AM
the us open isn't that fast. and lets face it she fluked that slam, davenport had her in the semi's untill the injury and she played lena d in the final :o

The US Open is the fastest hardcourt in professional Tennis today. And she beat who she had to beat to win the tournament. Plus she's since been in tow other slam finals including last year's US Open. I don't consider that a fluke.

Shonami Slam
Sep 25th, 2008, 10:02 AM
she's best at american hard-courts statisticly, she's supposedly one of the best on fast clay-courts and she's capable on grass.

but i don't see her adjusting anything when indoors, except standing way too back.
she should S&V a bit more, and try to assault balls at opponents feet instead of outright winners, which can be tricker with the amount of time she needs on the backstroke.

laurie
Sep 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
she's best at american hard-courts statisticly, she's supposedly one of the best on fast clay-courts and she's capable on grass.

but i don't see her adjusting anything when indoors, except standing way too back.
she should S&V a bit more, and try to assault balls at opponents feet instead of outright winners, which can be tricker with the amount of time she needs on the backstroke.

Now you are talking!!

This is something I've talked about on the Sveta fans forum. This is a change in Sveta's strategic thinking that's required - returning smarter, either to feet of an oncoming player or deep when they are standing back. On the second serve return at key moments, Sveta goes for the big return too often - and misses, whereas she's better off getting the important returns deep and trying to take control that way.

Sveta for sure is not thge finished article but if she is willing to learn she can still improve her game considerably on all surfaces.

homogenius
Oct 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM
:help:

InsideOut.
Oct 1st, 2008, 03:54 PM
:help:

She can still do it in her career; she's still pretty young. :(

Oh and laurie that was a smart post you made. That her US Open finals run last year was no fluke. Most posters would say that she only had to beat an erratic Chakvetadze but as Sammy is a huge Chaky fan he can say nothing lest he would be bashing his fave! :lol: Well done. :yeah:

Shonami Slam
Oct 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM
Now you are talking!!

This is something I've talked about on the Sveta fans forum. This is a change in Sveta's strategic thinking that's required - returning smarter, either to feet of an oncoming player or deep when they are standing back. On the second serve return at key moments, Sveta goes for the big return too often - and misses, whereas she's better off getting the important returns deep and trying to take control that way.

Sveta for sure is not thge finished article but if she is willing to learn she can still improve her game considerably on all surfaces.

i've been a sveta fan for quite some time - she's brainless as much as she is talented.
she should quit over-powering, her forehand is too erratic, her backhand isn't deep enough. i think taking some timee off right untill the AO (where she traditionally doesn't do well anyway, mind you) to re-invent herself at this point of the career would be the best thing she could do for herself.
she seriously should think about hiring amelie's now ex-couch.

Dexter
Oct 1st, 2008, 05:53 PM
Only if they organize a WTA event in Petersburg.

LudwigDvorak
Oct 2nd, 2008, 01:14 AM
And Sveta falls to 20-22 in career W/L indoors. There's still Moscow next week, however.

LudwigDvorak
Oct 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM
And Sveta falls to 20-22 in career W/L indoors. There's still Moscow next week, however.

Perhaps an unfortunate draw for her in Moscow. Does she have any more indoor tournaments she's planned for? Zurich? Linz?

LCS
Oct 10th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Has she pass her peak and never get to a final of an indoor tournament? :confused: :samsam:

Diogenovna
May 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Yes!

_marial_
May 3rd, 2009, 04:25 PM
not just reach... win :bounce:

Bероника
May 3rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
not just reach... win :bounce:

even better :bounce: :hearts:

AnnaK_4ever
May 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious we were talking about hard/carpet indoor final :rolleyes: