PDA

View Full Version : Should tennis players suck at ping pong?

Donatello
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I mean, the timing of the ball in the hitting zone should be almost the same as in field tennis, although in this clip Maria is playing defensively, not going full swing on slow balls like she normally does.

Maria vs. Ellen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vAhPZvsx84)

Also take a look at Andy Murray, he's pretty good. And swinging freely.

Andy vs. friend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3sjGOkEFdc)

:cool:

saint2
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:38 AM
:lol::lol: Maria has no clue about playing ping pong

Lunaris
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:39 AM
My experience is that table tennis negatively influences technique in tennis and vice versa.

:lol::lol: Maria has no clue about playing ping pong
Nor does that woman she plays against in the clip.

Kampi
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:52 AM
My experience is that table tennis negatively influences technique in tennis and vice versa.

Nor does that woman she plays against in the clip.

Well, can be, but as someone who played tabletennis for about 18 years and tennis for about 12 years, I often noticed that a good tabletennis player has some good touch and can easily learn how to stroke and especially how to put a lot of spin inside the ball, because you are extremely used to do a lot of things out of your wrist. Something which is absolutely vital as a tabletennis player. A tennisplayer who never really plays tabletennis has a problem with the "touch" you need in tabletennis. Especially the touch out of the wrist. But one thing is clear.....you should really avoid to train tennis/tabletennis just before you have a competition in the other sport. But my experience is that it is much worse as a tabletennis player when you train tennis before an important match. Your touch will easily suffer.:help::lol:

rockstar
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Well, can be, but as someone who played tabletennis for about 18 years and tennis for about 12 years, I often noticed that a good tabletennis player has some good touch and can easily learn how to stroke and especially how to put a lot of spin inside the ball, because you are extremely used to do a lot of things out of your wrist. Something which is absolutely vital as a tabletennis player. A tennisplayer who never really plays tabletennis has a problem with the "touch" you need in tabletennis. Especially the touch out of the wrist. But one thing is clear.....you should really avoid to train tennis/tabletennis just before you have a competition in the other sport. But my experience is that it is much worse as a tabletennis player when you train tennis before an important match. Your touch will easily suffer.:help::lol:

yeah i agree, i've played tennis with table tennis players and noticed they have very good touch, cos table tennis is alot more about slices. they also seem to have pretty good reflex at the net, cos table tennis is a really fast game.

Meteor Shower
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM
My table tennis and tennis lessons used to be on the same day.
Fortunately, table tennis was first and 4-5 hours later tennis was, so the transition was pretty easy.
I think it would have been harder if it was the other way around.

Kampi
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
yeah i agree, i've played tennis with table tennis players and noticed they have very good touch, cos table tennis is alot more about slices. they also seem to have pretty good reflex at the net, cos table tennis is a really fast game.

Yeah, totally with you. In some ways the slice in tennis is comparable to the one you play in tabletennis, especially when you use it as a very defensive kind of stroke when you are playing far behind the table. Take a close look at an all-defensive tabletennis player. I would say it is close to a stop in tennis. And that's something all tabletennis players are able to play or should be able to play, haha. And the reason is nearly the same....to slow down the rally and play with massive undercut. And as an offensive player it is really hard work to play against a very good defensive player. Especially the negative kind of spin is sometimes out of this world. You have to hit the ball very early and you must also "read" the kind of spin. Otherwise you will have a lot of trouble, especially when your opponent plays with different rubber materials and tries to attack with heavy spin when you are not pushing him hard enough. It is all about rhythm.

Harvs
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
i play pingpong like tennis:) its funnnn... BIG backswings

brent-o
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:51 AM
...;14033030']i play pingpong like tennis:) its funnnn... BIG backswings

haha me too. When my sister and I play, we usually loop the ball a lot and try to win tactically rather than slamming the ball past each other. We even volley sometimes, which probably isn't allowed in real table tennis. My slice in table tennis is killer, too.

Lin Lin
Sep 11th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Funny, I love the video, but I think Sharapova plays quite good considering she rarely plays table tennis. Actually, my grandma,69, can compete with her in terms of her table tennis level.:lol::lol:

pov
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:10 PM
My experience is reflected in the Andy Murray clip where both sports complement each other and it's easy to be good at both. You'll notice Murray generates a lot of forehand top-spin.

hankqq
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM
you know what's funny? A couple years ago Monfils randomly entered a table tennis tournament that was being held near the Las Vegas tennis tournament he was also playing. Guess what? Monfils won the table tennis event! :lol:

Apoleb
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:00 PM
No they don't. I think table tennis players have a much harder time adjusting to tennis than the other way around. I know tennis players tend to have a natural feel to table tennis. Copying their stroke for tt is usually good enough for them to be very consistent. Of course if they do want to it to the next level, they need to change their stroke technique.

Kampi
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM
you know what's funny? A couple years ago Monfils randomly entered a table tennis tournament that was being held near the Las Vegas tennis tournament he was also playing. Guess what? Monfils won the table tennis event! :lol:

Either he seriously trained tabletennis in the past, or everybody sucked BIG at the event.:lol: Seriously, there is no way that a tennis pro can win out of nowhere when he/she never seriously trained tt, against a trained tabletennis player and I mean normal club players and not semi or pro level players.

IMPOSSIBLE
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Sofia Arvidsson was national champion in both tennis and table tennis...

wild.river
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
No they don't. I think table tennis players have a much harder time adjusting to tennis than the other way around. I know tennis players tend to have a natural feel to table tennis. Copying their stroke for tt is usually good enough for them to be very consistent. Of course if they do want to it to the next level, they need to change their stroke technique.

yeah i agree i think its easier to scale down than up. i'm a tennis player and i'm ok at ping pong cuz i just have to adjust to shorter backswings and quicker points. one of my friends plays ping pong at a club and she cant adjust to tennis and the court coverage you need.

LindsayRulz
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I used to play competitive table tennis, I played some canadian championships and was on the national junior team. And IMO, tennis is bad for table tennis but table tennis isn't necessairly bad for tennis.

You have to be so much faster with your footwork when you play table tennis and the size of the tennis players' bodies don't help. There are not a lot of 6-foot and over professional tennis players unlike tennis.

égalité
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm a lot better at ping pong than I am at tennis. But I think playing tennis benefits ping pong more than the other way around. I've been playing tennis longer, anyway. :o

woosey
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
if i were maria and company i wouldn't give a rat's booty if i sucked at ping pong. it's not a terribly relevant "activity" compared to pro tennis.

TheFifthAvocado
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:21 PM
...;14033030']i play pingpong like tennis:) its funnnn... BIG backswings

I play ping pong with two hands on both sides. :tape: It helps me for some reason. I get topspin and especially slice that I wouldn't get with one hand.

*hingis_forever*
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM
That wasn't table tennis. It was paddle tennis. ;)

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 11th, 2008, 11:49 PM

Wow:eek:, i had no idea...Sophia >> :worship:

tristen
Jul 15th, 2009, 10:22 AM

One of the most powerful and dynamic strokes of the table tennis are forehand loops. Forehand loops include many sub shots as a part of it. They are like loop drives, loop kills, slow hand loops etc. Table tennis is healthy for your mind and body. Like many other sports, playing table tennis allows your body to sweat, and therefore releasing body waste and other unnecessary products inside the body. It also allows you to develop your strategic skills as you plan for game styles and techniques.

Sharapower
Jul 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Good Gawd, I saw the thread title cut, so I fought it was an x-rated one :o.

SVK
Jul 15th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I play pingpong like tennis with my friends...we have fifteens, games, 3 winning sets and I usually serve and volleying...of course, we serving "pingpong service"...it´s more funny for me:lol:

And pingpong is absolutley different as tennis so the tennis player sucks at pingpong and the pingpong player sucks in tennis:lol:

TheAllan
Jul 15th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Her table tennis title was as a youth player (Girls-13), but it's quite impressive to win a national title in a country with a strong tradition for table tennis (though more successful on the male side). I will suspect she can beat every other WTA player in the sport, but that's of course not of much use to her.