PDA

View Full Version : WTA Players Male Equivalents

supergrunt
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Who are the male counterparts of some of the top WTA players in terms of game style and attitude?

I say
Serena- no one
Venus- no one
Jelena- Djokovic :p
I can not think of anymore.

V-MAC
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I've heard of a comparison made between Jelena and Nalbandian.

supergrunt
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I can see it but I think he is more aggresive and less fast.

Marshmallow
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I think Jelena = Andy Murray. He gets everything back too! He's a bit more aggressive these days though.

sammy01
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:13 AM
sorry to dementieva fans but davydenko kind of reminds me of her. there both right up there and have been for years and they both pick off a big title now and again, but when it realy matters at the slams they fall short. also their games are very direct and can become a little predictable (crosscourt)

Vamos.
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Jelena = Gilles Simon. Perhaps.

But generally I don't think there is any room for a player "like" Jelena on the ATP. The standard is just generally far too high for a pusher.

Ana Ivanovic; Fernando Gonzalez/James Blake.

Dav.
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:19 AM
sorry to dementieva fans but davydenko kind of reminds me of her. there both right up there and have been for years and they both pick off a big title now and again, but when it realy matters at the slams they fall short. also their games are very direct and can become a little predictable (crosscourt)
I would actually chose Chakvetadze as a male equivalent to Davydenko as I think she could be matched up more easily in various departments.

Jankovic and Djokovic was a good example as well.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Attitude I'm not sure, but gamestyle hmmmmmmm....

Venus/Blake-low percentage tennis, but when on fire friggin' scary to play against. Returns are deadly, often times breaking opponents serve several times during a match only to be broken back straight away. 2nd serve liabilities.

Querrey/Davenport-clean hitters of the ball, prefer to not move but move opponents instead. Big servers, among the tallest players on rrspective tours. Smile while serving etc;

Nadal/Kuznetsova-both incredible athletes with deadly forehands with incredible top spin. Both highly capable at net but prefer to stay back. Vomit sounding grunts.

Federer/Henin-use of variety and power to beat opponents into submission. Plans A-F available at any time during a match. Incredible athletes with deceptive speed.

Serena/Djokovic-incredible serves, backhands, returns, and movement. The ability to overpower, as well as outwit opponents. Capable of sickenly sweet angles off both wings. Play best tennis on medium pace hard courts.

Jankovic/Simon-pushers who will attack whenever a short ball presents itself. Speed, bakchands, and court-sense are biggest weapons.

Pin/Santoro-annoy big hitting opponents with lack of pace and court awareness. Lack of braun makes no difference as they are able to change pace, spin, and height of the ball at will.

Roddick/Molik-Amazing serves, above average forehands, and counter act these attributes with ludicrous backhands and suspect movement.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Jankovic = Coria

Apoleb
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Justine/Federer :p

sammy01
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I would actually chose Chakvetadze as a male equivalent to Davydenko as I think she could be matched up more easily in various departments.

Jankovic and Djokovic was a good example as well.

chakvetadze hits way flatter and likes to take the ball DTL. also lena d and davy are both very similar in their oncourt attitude, they both dont do huge fist pumps or go round smashing rackets.

Marshmallow
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:26 AM
I think Venus is more like a Gonzalez or Safin, not necessarily game styles - but the hit/miss - when on = unstoppable thing.

sammy01
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:26 AM
oh and momo and haas, they play very similar and even lookalke.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Vaidisova - Berdych
Radwanska - Murray

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Aga Radwanska = Vinnay Ice Spadea

dybbuk
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Tsonga and Serena have always reminded me of one another.

Marshmallow
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Justine/Federer :p

Hmm... When I watch Gasquet sometimes he reminds me of Justine. It might just be the back hand... but I dunno, just something.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Golovin - Gasquet

Marshmallow
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:30 AM

:tape: I don't think they play alike... but... I know fellow Momo fans will kill me but I've thought the same. They could be separated at birth, it's striking.

Marshmallow
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Golovin - Gasquet

In what way :scracth:

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Alize Cornet - Gilles Simon

Expat
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:31 AM
justine / federer
jelena /simon

Marshmallow
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Berdych - Ivanovic.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:37 AM
In what way :scracth:

Not so much stylistically more that both are young, broke through very early, and have been the big up and coming glamourous stars of French tennis for a while. Both are also injury prone and have had questions asked about their motivation. Both have also produced outstanding tennis on their day which keeps hopes alive that they will forfil the potential that many have place on them. Heck, they even won the Mixed Doubles together at Wimbledon.

Having said all that, obviously it isn't stylistically a match in the way Berdych and Vaidisova are.

danieln1
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Davenport = Gustavo Kuerten
The TV guy from my country compared them, and I couldn´t agree more: both were slow, with great serves, nice volleys, and awesome groundstrokes!

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Berdych - Ivanovic.

I think Berdych - Vaidisova is a better match for several reasons including stylistically.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:41 AM
The TV guy from my country compared them, and I couldn´t agree more: both were slow, with great serves, nice volleys, and awesome groundstrokes!

Kuerten was only slow after hig surgery. Before that he was very swift around the court. Also the fact that Kuerten was at his best on clay and Davenport was at her best on anything but, plus Kuerten being a one hander whereas Lindsay is a two hander make me not so convinced. They did both win the same amount of Slams on the other hand. :)

LeRoy.
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Davydenko - Chakvetadze

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Jelena = Gilles Simon. Perhaps.

But generally I don't think there is any room for a player "like" Jelena on the ATP. The standard is just generally far too high for a pusher.

Ana Ivanovic; Fernando Gonzalez/James Blake.

Ana Ivanovic and James Blake is pretty good one. Both huge forehands. But lots of fistpumps. Both very good looking. Both with cleancut reputations.

I think Gilles Simon matches up better with Alize Cornet though. Both French, similar rankings, similar game style too.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Ana Ivanovic and James Blake is pretty good one. Both huge forehands. But lots of fistpumps. Both very good looking. Both with cleancut reputations.

Disagree. The hardcore mug Flake doesn´t how to play on clay (either on grass - hard - carpet :D ) , which is the best surface of Ana is love

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Disagree. The hardcore mug Flake doesn´t how to play on clay (either on grass - hard - carpet :D ) , which is the best surface of Ana is love

The differance of of the two players ability on clay is a good point. True.

sammy01
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:59 AM
:tape: I don't think they play alike... but... I know fellow Momo fans will kill me but I've thought the same. They could be separated at birth, it's striking.

i think they play pretty similar. both have single handed backhands which are very capable of slicing, have too much spin on their forehands, like to come to net (even at the wrong time on the wrong ball).

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Arvidsson=Toaderling (i mean Soderling)

GrafMariaPetraK
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Lindsay Davenport/Todd Martin

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:29 AM
i think they play pretty similar. both have single handed backhands which are very capable of slicing, have too much spin on their forehands, like to come to net (even at the wrong time on the wrong ball).

Yup. Agree. Mauresmo - Haas seems a pretty good match to me. Other similarities, obviously the looks which others have refered to and they are also at the same stage in their careers too.

zvonarevarulz
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Vera=Idk. Safin maybe.

zvonarevarulz
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Vera=Idk. Safin maybe.

LoveFifteen
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Both Hingis and Wilander were extremely smart, cunning players who loved cocaine. :sobbing:

LudwigDvorak
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I don't think Dementieva plays like Davydenko. I guess I can see the similarities, but he hits the ball flatter than Dementieva and goes DTL and redirects so early, much earlier than Dementieva. I don't see much of a comparison.

That said, I see a lot of Mathieu in Dementieva. Both horrible fucking loser choking bitches that I love. :sobbing: But also allergic to the net, good ability from the baseline (particularly the FH), and pretty excellent footwork.

I used to think Dementieva/Nalbandian was a fitting one, or Dementieva/Martin, but that was more due to career similarities than anything else.

starin
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Venus = Gael Monfils
Mauresmo = Gasquet

dybbuk
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Venus = Gael Monfils
Mauresmo = Gasquet

I don't agree with Venus-Monfils. Both are great athletes, yes, but Monfils will just sit back and push the ball for long periods of time. Venus is always trying to be aggressive to various degrees of success.

Optima
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Jankovic - Youzhny

Sort of.

Great backhands, useful forehands at times, serve is attackable.

Lindsayfan32
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Lindsay and Guga I don't think so. The male player that most reminds me of Lindsay is Todd Martin. Tall, hit with great power off the ground and could come into net and put away the volley and was very thoughtful in post interviews and it's no surprise Lindsay and Todd are good friends. Most of you might be going Todd who as Todd has been retired for about 5 years now but he was the male carbon copy of Lindsay. :)

Nikkiri
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Ivanovic and Andreev? Massive forehands, good serve, plays well on clay.

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:22 AM

true :tape:

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Lindsay and Guga I don't think so. The male player that most reminds me of Lindsay is Todd Martin. Tall, hit with great power off the ground and could come into net and put away the volley and was very thoughtful in post interviews and it's no surprise Lindsay and Todd are good friends. Most of you might be going Todd who as Todd has been retired for about 5 years now but he was the male carbon copy of Lindsay. :)

Todd Martin - Lindsay Davenport yeah, sounds right to me :yeah:

starin
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I don't agree with Venus-Monfils. Both are great athletes, yes, but Monfils will just sit back and push the ball for long periods of time. Venus is always trying to be aggressive to various degrees of success.

I agree. But they are remarkably similar in body type. Both tall and lanky but very fast and dynamic movers. I feel like Monfils suffers from how he was taught to play the game. I feel like he's the male Venus if Venus grew up on the clay and was taught that sort of playing style. Monfils imo needs to spend some quality time w/ Nick Bolleterri.

Beny
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Venus/Blake-low percentage tennis, but when on fire friggin' scary to play against. Returns are deadly, often times breaking opponents serve several times during a match only to be broken back straight away. 2nd serve liabilities.

Querrey/Davenport-clean hitters of the ball, prefer to not move but move opponents instead. Big servers, among the tallest players on rrspective tours. Smile while serving etc;

Nadal/Kuznetsova-both incredible athletes with deadly forehands with incredible top spin. Both highly capable at net but prefer to stay back. Vomit sounding grunts.

Federer/Henin-use of variety and power to beat opponents into submission. Plans A-F available at any time during a match. Incredible athletes with deceptive speed.

Serena/Djokovic-incredible serves, backhands, returns, and movement. The ability to overpower, as well as outwit opponents. Capable of sickenly sweet angles off both wings. Play best tennis on medium pace hard courts.

Jankovic/Simon-pushers who will attack whenever a short ball presents itself. Speed, bakchands, and court-sense are biggest weapons.

Pin/Santoro-annoy big hitting opponents with lack of pace and court awareness. Lack of braun makes no difference as they are able to change pace, spin, and height of the ball at will.

Roddick/Molik-Amazing serves, above average forehands, and counter act these attributes with ludicrous backhands and suspect movement.

Where was Justine's plan B, C,D, E or F in Wimbledon's semifinal against Marion? :shrug:

Otherwise agreewith you, great comparison.

For me Nadal=Schnyder=Mauresmo, heavy top spin :hearts:

Ivanovic/Gonzalez

Sharapova/Berdych

Szczecin
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Err... Dinara - Marat???

How this has not been mentioned yet is completely beyond me... they are almost the same player (-gender)...

I do agree with Davydenko - Dementieva in terms of Fitness and Court Speed, but their games are quite different...

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Where was Justine's plan B, C,D, E or F in Wimbledon's semifinal against Marion? :shrug:

Ivanovic/Gonzalez

Sharapova/Berdych

I don't think the WTA have anything remotely like a female Nadal. Certainly not Mauresmo, for one thing she has a one handed backhand, nor Schnyder, who uses guile more than the brute force of Nadal.

I've seen Berdych put with both Sharapova and Ivanovic now. But really his counterpart is obviously Vaidisova. Both come from the same country, the Czech Republic. Both are young players who broke through at pretty much the same time. Both made the top 100 for the 1st time in 2004, the top 30 in 2005 and the top 10 in 2006. Both careers have stalled since then and are currently in decline, whether this is temporary or not time will tell. Both players have extremely similar games based around very big serves and very big forehands. Neither moves around the court terribly well or plays very well at the net. Both players like the hit virtually every ball at as hard as possible and mix in very little offpace stuff. Finesse is not a word in either of their vocabularies. Both make a lot of errors when their game isn't working. And both players were expected to be slam winners at one time by people who get excited by players who hit tennis balls very hard. Neither players seems to have added to their games since 2006 and both players careers are now being reassessed.

rrfnpump
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Vera Z / Wawrinka

both Top10, both good players, both have decent results from time to time, but both are horrible performers in big/important matches :sobbing:

Miranda
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
who compares to my nadal :confused::wavey:

InsideOut.
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Ivanovic-Tsonga: Both very aggressive off the forehand, solid backhands; both like the crosscourt backhand drop volley at the net; both rely heavily on good serving; both immensely inconsistent. Career-wise, both reached their first GS final by acing their opponents, who were both ranked Number 2 in the world at the time and first-time semifinalists at the slam when the demolition occured. (Ivanovic def. Sharapova 6-2 6-1; Tsonga def. Nadal 6-2 6-3 6-2)

Berdych-Vaidisova: definitely agree with this one.

Rezai-Soderling: Both hit the ball EXTREMELY hard. What more can I say?

Niculescu-Santoro: Both have an amazing forehand slice, a lot of variety, and both tend to lose matches when they try to overpower their opponents by hitting regular groundstrokes. Both might scare top players when they first play them but afterwards becomes easy fodder in second meetings

Amanmuradova-Karlovic: both very very tall, good net skills, sub-par groundstrokes, weak mentality, and both not very good-looking.

Navratil
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Lindsay Davenport - Todd Martin
Nicole Arendt - John McEnroe

frenchie
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
That's how I see it :

Davydenko - Dementieva
Nalbandian - JJ
Venus - Blake
Radwanska - Murray
Kuznetsova - Nadal
Safina - Berdych
Ivanovic - Roddick

Kunal
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM
whatever happened to coria?

Darop.
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Santangelo - Troicki

CORIA01
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM
jankovic/hingis = guillermo coria

Viktymise
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Vaidisova - Berdych
Radwanska - Murray

Radwanska - Murray is a good one.

Just recently I was thinking that Vaidisova is more of a Del Potro than a Berdych. Big swings off both sides, with footwork and co-ordination problems. The Berdych comparison isin't far off either.

Viktymise
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Ivanovic and Andreev? Massive forehands, good serve, plays well on clay.

Andreev and Ivanovic have big FH's, and that's where the comparison ends.

Andreev hits an extremely heavy FH, which he rarely flattens out. Ivanovic's FH is as flat as a pankake. In general, Andreev hits a much heavier ball.

Andreev's FH looks similar to Cornet's, although Alize's is not as heavy or effective.

The Dawntreader
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I think Blake plays even less percentage than Venus. Errors just fly around his game, plus Venus has a better net game and she uses the angles more. I agree about the predictability on the second serves though:lol:

Murray/Hingis? Obviously Hingis had leaps of ability, perhaps more than Murray, but watching Murray outplay Nadal the other day did make me draw that comparison. Like Hingis, his signature shot is the BDTL, and at times it doesnt look like he's doing much but he manages to coax the errors out of his opponent. He has the ability to counter-act power with great anticipation much like Hingis did. An all-round game too. The Radwanska comparison is a good one too:D

AndreConrad
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
who compares to my nadal :confused::wavey:

I can't think of a female constantly pulling her underwear from her buttcrack :lol:... I could not help it ;)
I really thought of finding someone who would compare, but the "buttcrack" metaphore really holds water; Nadal's game is everything what women game is not. Heavy top spin; persistance on every point and many others. I really can't think of anyone.

I thought the comparison of Radwanska and Murray works on many levels.

Viktymise
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I don't think the WTA have anything remotely like a female Nadal. Certainly not Mauresmo, for one thing she has a one handed backhand, nor Schnyder, who uses guile more than the brute force of Nadal.

I've seen Berdych put with both Sharapova and Ivanovic now. But really his counterpart is obviously Vaidisova. Both come from the same country, the Czech Republic. Both are young players who broke through at pretty much the same time. Both made the top 100 for the 1st time in 2004, the top 30 in 2005 and the top 10 in 2006. Both careers have stalled since then and are currently in decline, whether this is temporary or not time will tell. Both players have extremely similar games based around very big serves and very big forehands. Neither moves around the court terribly well or plays very well at the net. Both players like the hit virtually every ball at as hard as possible and mix in very little offpace stuff. Finesse is not a word in either of their vocabularies. Both make a lot of errors when their game isn't working. And both players were expected to be slam winners at one time by people who get excited by players who hit tennis balls very hard. Neither players seems to have added to their games since 2006 and both players careers are now being reassessed.

Nicole probably volleys, uses touch shots and slices a whole lot more effectively than the likes of Ivanovic and Sharapova. In-fact, in most of her good matches this year (vs Jankovic in Sydney for example) she has approached the net at critical stages and used some variety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ONHb8WA58

1:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCYIQW2jSsw

3:18

Not saying she's any sort of savvy genius at net or in her use of drop shots and slices, but saying she's devoid of any finesse is incorrect, especially compared to some other top players.

Nikkiri
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Andreev and Ivanovic have big FH's, and that's where the comparison ends.

Andreev hits an extremely heavy FH, which he rarely flattens out. Ivanovic's FH is as flat as a pankake. In general, Andreev hits a much heavier ball.

Andreev's FH looks similar to Cornet's, although Alize's is not as heavy or effective.

Yep I thought of that after i wrote it, lol. But well their game depends mainly on their forehands thats sorta what I meant.

frontier
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Aga-Murray..very smart tennis
momo-gasquet...weak
roddick-pova...ball bashers with no plan b
Ana-gasquet...weak
jankovic-djoko...

InsideOut.
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I don't agree with the bit about Nicole using touch better than Ana or Maria, especially based on those examples. I've seen better from both Ana and Maria.

Ana:
DbMkhPMxxes

Sorry about the music, couldn't find the one without it.
0.08, 1.09, 1.23, 5.14, 6.27, 6.40

Looking for some of those amazing slice shots from Maria, will post if I find them later.

Viktymise
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I don't agree with the bit about Nicole using touch better than Ana or Maria, especially based on those examples. I've seen better from both Ana and Maria.

Ana:
DbMkhPMxxes

Sorry about the music, couldn't find the one without it.
0.08, 1.09, 1.23, 5.14, 6.27, 6.40

Looking for some of those amazing slice shots from Maria, will post if I find them later.

I did NOT post those example to start a discussion about who has the better drop-shot slice etc.

I don't get what's so mind-blowing about that video though.

InsideOut.
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
^Well it's not mindblowing because there were a lot of errors in that match but I was just countering your point about Nicole because you talked about how she used touch better than either Ana or Maria. :shrug:

Back on topic, I think Ivanovic is similar to Tsonga, so just ignore the video.

Cp6uja
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:47 PM
WTA Players______Male Equivalents

SERENA WILLIAMS_______Mike Tyson
JELENA JANKOVIC________Cristiano Ronaldo
ANA IVANOVIC__________Tiger Woods
ELENA DEMENTIEVA______Andrei Shevchenko
DINARA SAFINA__________Marat Safin
MARIA SHARAPOVA_______Tom Brady
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA___David Beckham_ ;)
VENUS WILLIAMS________Tim Duncan

***CURRENT TOP8 (YEC/08) ONLY

frontier
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:48 PM
^Well it's not mindblowing because there were a lot of errors in that match but I was just countering your point about Nicole because you talked about how she used touch better than either Ana or Maria. :shrug:

Back on topic, I think Ivanovic is similar to Tsonga, so just ignore the video.Ana and Tsonga are opposites...he moves like a butterfly and has personality.:lol:

Fantasy Hero
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM

:worship: i thought the same things

:lol: but it's true!

Spartan
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Kuznetsova and Roddick. Not in the way they play but some similarities in their careers. Both won the US Open at a young age but haven't had the same success since. If it wasn't for Federer/Henin both could have 2/3 slams by now.

Fantasy Hero
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Dinara Safina is her brother with a skirt...she walk alike Marat too!

spotsyboy
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Daniela Hantuchova - Feliciano Lopez
Not because of their game styles though.....:)

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Tsonga - Lexy Stevenson

Their runs to SF and Final in Grand Slams were flukes
Both have won zero titles
Pretty similar career highest ranks

Polikarpov
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Jankovic = Coria
Hingis = Murray

ivanban
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Serena - Federer
Jankovic - Djokovic
Ivanovic - Gonzalez
Dementieva - Davydenko
Safina - Gulbis
Sharapova - Blake
Kuznetsova - Robredo
Venus - Safin
Zvonareva - Nalbandian
Radwanska - Ferrer
Hantuchova - Tursunov
Chaky - Melzer
Schnyder - Santoro
Bartoli - Soderling
Azarenka - Almagro
Pennetta - Canas
Wozniacki - Monfils
Cornet - Simon
Szavay - Monaco
Cibulkova - Hewitt
Davenport - Roddick
Petrova - Wawrinka
Vaidisova - Fish
Mauresmo - Gasquet
Bammer - Stepanek
Srebotnik - Verdasco
Kirilenko - F. Lopez
Schiavone - O. Rochus
Mattek - Spadea

The Daviator
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Why are people comparing Jankovic and Djokovic? :unsure: They couldn't be more different, JJ is a defensive player, Djoko is offensive, Djoko's serve is fantastic, JJ's is far from fantastic, he's more like Ana than JJ.

And did someone say Vaidisova has a better slice than Ivanovic? :spit:

There are very few players who are exact equivalents, I think Davenport and Safin are alike - amazing ball-strikers, should have won more Slams, terrible body language and swearing :p

Viktymise
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Why are people comparing Jankovic and Djokovic? :unsure: They couldn't be more different, JJ is a defensive player, Djoko is offensive, Djoko's serve is fantastic, JJ's is far from fantastic, he's more like Ana than JJ.

There are very few players who are exact equivalents, I think Davenport and Safin are alike - amazing ball-strikers, should have won more Slams, terrible body language and swearing :p

I'm sorry! Ivanovic is GOAT. :bowdown:

Anyway, we all know Nicole is a dumb, talentless hack who just hits everything as hard as she can and just hopes for the best. Probably wouldn't know variety if it smacked her in the face.

Mightymirza
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM

Ivanovic/Gonzalez

Sharapova/Berdych

She was just tight :shrug: Even fed goes through these patches :shrug: he does have an amazing serve though which keeps him outa trouble which justine lacked :o a good serve but not a weapon!

Mightymirza
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:48 PM
serena and federer? :spit: stop it :haha:

serenus_2k8
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Personality wise JJ and Djoko are really similar, so I think some people think they're alike for that reason. Ana isnt really like him in playing style and neither is JJ.

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Serena / Safin - When they're on they're :scared:, but when they're off, they're moody and way to negative to get themselves out of trouble.

Serena's just working on being less negative, but she and Safin have tendencies to get too mad at themselves for playing poorly during a match to focus on actually winning the match.

The Daviator
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I'm sorry! Ivanovic is GOAT. :bowdown:

Anyway, we all know Nicole is a dumb, talentless hack who just hits everything as hard as she can and just hopes for the best. Probably wouldn't know variety if it smacked her in the face.

She's not the GOAT :p but her BH slice is great and extremely underrated, as for the bit about Vaidisova, I plead the fifth :tape:

drgray
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Federer - Justine
Jelena - Novak
Wozniacki - Nishikori
Golovin - Gasquet (french, talented, nutty)

Marshmallow
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:21 PM

You may be right. I couldn't see it at first, but I went on youtube and watched clips of their matches and Haas at times can play Mauresmo-ish. But probably more Mauresmo when she's flat. When Amelie is on, hitting those top spinned backhands to drive opponents of court followed by some amazing short angle backhand, or back spin drop shorts... :drool: *swoon*... Oh sorry went off a little. But maybe I just don't watch Haas enough, but i've never seen that kind of magic from him - but flat Amelie .. yeah, I can see it now.

IMO, Patty and Nadal are comparable. Patty is more guile, and less muscle than Nadal - but I've seen her on occassion, especially against lesser opponents use Nadal like tactics [less physical version but essentially was so similar in my mind I've though, female Nadal]. Of all the WTA players she comes closest IMO. Mauresmo less so but she can use her top spin backhand the way Nadal uses his forehand. I think she's the only WTA player I've seen hitting a high topspin backhand winner, where her opponent gets to where the ball is going to bounce, but when it hits the court it shoots of high and fast away from them. Other players may have hit some decent backhanded topspin winners... but I've never seen it done with that much work... It was amazing, breath taking. *faints* Oh Amelie please get back to your A game.

Miss Amor
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Hingis - Canas

The Dawntreader
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Serena / Safin - When they're on they're :scared:, but when they're off, they're moody and way to negative to get themselves out of trouble.

Serena's just working on being less negative, but she and Safin have tendencies to get too mad at themselves for playing poorly during a match to focus on actually winning the match.

Good comparison, when they're both on it's unplayable tennis. Their opponents barely see the ball zooming past them:lol:

Two of the best second serves ever, maybe Safin less so now, but Serena's is:drool:

TheFifthAvocado
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I plead the fifth :tape:

:wavey:

I've always wondered if they have an equivalent to Brie Whitehead on the ATP. I'm talking about double bagel bros. :lol: Anyone know?

sammy01
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:33 AM
verdasco is like patty, they both have slightly awkward looking backhands and can hit huge topspin on the forehands. both their serves can be good but they go through patches of spinning them in. to me verdasco is a lesser nadal, hence is more similar to patty.

Tennisstar86
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:36 AM
WTA Players______Male Equivalents

SERENA WILLIAMS_______Mike Tyson
JELENA JANKOVIC________Cristiano Ronaldo
ANA IVANOVIC__________Tiger Woods
ELENA DEMENTIEVA______Andrei Shevchenko
DINARA SAFINA__________Marat Safin
MARIA SHARAPOVA_______Tom Brady
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA___David Beckham_ ;)
VENUS WILLIAMS________Tim Duncan

***CURRENT TOP8 (YEC/08) ONLY

.... Tiger Woods.... David Beckham? maybe if he got beat in the face a couple hundred times....

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:40 AM
verdasco is like patty, they both have slightly awkward looking backhands and can hit huge topspin on the forehands. both their serves can be good but they go through patches of spinning them in. to me verdasco is a lesser nadal, hence is more similar to patty.

Lesser Nadal ... Ar you crazy man ?
Verdasco is garbage , a mindless ball basher ...an embarrasment for the glorious spanish tennis

améliemomo
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:41 AM
jancovic= davydenko(can stay entire day hitting the ball)
dementieva=nalbandian (return of serve)
mauresmo=federer (backhand technique and tennis elegance)
sharapova= nadal(for her fighting on court)
radwanska=murray
henin= the mix of federer+nadal

Tennisstar86
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:42 AM

they said on and off the court.....

sammy01
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Lesser Nadal ... Ar you crazy man ?
Verdasco is garbage , a mindless ball basher ...an embarrasment for the glorious spanish tennis

verdasco isn't a ballbasher! he is obviously not on nadals level but he and patty have a lot of similarties, go watch him on youtube!

iPatty
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I have to disagree, sammy01. There is no ATP equivalent of Patty other than the legendary Marcelo Rios. Patty has even stated that she modeled her game after his and he was one of her idols growing up. ;)

supergrunt
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I am sorry but Federer and Henin are not alike :tape: . Henin is more aggresive (I think) and attack minded than he is. She is a good shot-maker so I think she is more like Gasquet although she is not a headcase.

pengluv
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Patty plays exactly like donald young...

serena and venus nadal for their speed and fight

murray- radwanska

dementieva- coria

kuznetosva- ferero

jankovic- davidenko

bartoli- gambill

VeeReeDavJCap81
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Patty plays exactly like donald young...

:lol: it's true, I've never thought about it before.

peanuts
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Dinara Safina is her brother with a skirt...she walk alike Marat too!

:lol: True. I've immediately noticed that the first time I saw Dinara play.

I have to say though in terms of their shots, Dinara hits with much more top spin than Marat. Plus Marat's shots look more smooth and effortless.

Just Do It
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Briw Whitehead = Marko Djokovic.

Medina
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Dominguez Lino - nadal,

both moonballers

kittyking
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Jelena Jankovic - Roger Federer
Ana Ivanovic - Marcos Baghdatis
Venus Williams - Andre Agassi
Serena Williams - John McEnroe

Miss Amor
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Serena williams= jimmie connors [solid return game, very stable good bh, dint serve and volley much but hit the ball flat from baseline, fh breakdown during pressure]

Chakvetadze= marcos baghdatis

[B]Henin = Most tour de france cyclists [similarity = cheating]

ViennaCalling
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Dominguez Lino - nadal,

both moonballers

:tape:

youizahoe
Sep 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Henin = Most tour de france cyclists [similarity = cheating]

:lol: :haha: :banana: :spit:

youizahoe
Sep 11th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Venus Williams = Andy Roddick

InsideOut.
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM
dementieva=nalbandian (return of serve)
mauresmo=federer (backhand technique and tennis elegance)

Nalbandian's backhand is his better shot, Dementieva's is her forehand. One of their only similarities is that they both wear horrible Yonex outfits and use the same racquet.

Mauresmo's forehand makes this comparison a bit far-fetched.

bartoli- gambill

Nice comparison. Except that Gambill was more good-looking as a man than Marion is beautiful as a woman.

Briw Whitehead = Marko Djokovic.

:haha:

Jelena Jankovic - Roger Federer
Ana Ivanovic - Marcos Baghdatis
Venus Williams - Andre Agassi
Serena Williams - John McEnroe

Jelena Jankovic is as far away game-wise, technique-wise, and achievement-wise from Federer as is possible.

But Ana-Baghdatis is a good call, I think. I never thought of Baghdatis. :)

Venus Williams = Andy Roddick

:help: Venus actually has a backhand.

youizahoe
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
:help: Venus actually has a backhand.

Roddick too. But I meant, they are both good volleyers when they set up the points well, both have the huge serve, and can be pretty dominant when they are in the zone.

Pebbles
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Sugiyama/Rochus brothers. They are all very petite and don't have many weapons. They rely on grit, soaking up the pace and placement, oh and they all have great movement :)

Viktymise
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Roddick too. But I meant, they are both good volleyers when they set up the points well, both have the huge serve, and can be pretty dominant when they are in the zone.

Roddick has probably the worst BH in the top 100 on the ATP.

His chances of winning slams are zero to none these days.

sammy01
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Chakvetadze= marcos baghdatis [both one season wonder]

chakvetadze has been in the top 15 for 2 years now, you're just ignorant, but then we all knew that.

vadin124
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:57 PM
GAME-WISE
Henin-Federer
Mauresmo-Gasquet
Safina-Del Potro
Dementieva-Djokovic
Jankovic-Murray
Serena-Gonzalez
Sugiyama-Ferrer
Molik-Karlovic
Azarenka-Youzhny

améliemomo
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Nalbandian's backhand is his better shot, Dementieva's is her forehand. One of their only similarities is that they both wear horrible Yonex outfits and use the same racquet.

Mauresmo's forehand makes this comparison a bit far-fetched.

you read my words?when I associate amélie with federer is on the backhand technique and the fact they are both classy players so why giving me shitty comment about her forehand?:rolleyes::rolleyes: its a general impression.

About dementieva-nalbandian I think they are the best returners of the tour and dont think she has better forehand than backhand;she is very solid from both side.
Both can play amazing tennis and looked like great n°1 but they can also play like craps and have horrible loss.

vadin124
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:25 PM
you read my words?when I associate amélie with federer is on the backhand technique and the fact they are both classy players so why giving me shitty comment about her forehand?:rolleyes::rolleyes: its a general impression.

About dementieva-nalbandian I think they are the best returners of the tour and dont think she has better forehand than backhand;she is very solid from both side.
Both can play amazing tennis and looked like great n°1 but they can also play like craps and have horrible loss.

when it is on, her forehand is the best on the tour...period!

you cannot say that about her backhand

stupid statement

LudwigDvorak
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
GAME-WISE
Dementieva-Djokovic

:tape: :tape: :tape: Absolutely nothing similar in their games, remotely.

Nalbandian's all about his backhand. Dementieva's all about her forehand. Without her forehand she is nothing. She's solid off both sides, but considering how often she goes around to hit a FH and hates hitting the backhand anywhere other than crosscourt :tape:

:hearts: Ivanovic or Kuznetsova has the best forehand IMO, and I can see an argument for Venus lately to be better than Dementieva's (she seems to be working out the technical kinks on that side), but her forehand is certainly in the top five on tour right now.

améliemomo
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM

stupid statement

Yes, you're right.... When it is on:p

SVK
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Puchkova = Coria ..Both are Doublefaultmaschines.
Rodionova = Safin ..Very angry players
Amanmuradova = Karlovic ..Big serves, but bad drift
Groenefeld = Roddick ..Very fast serves
Cibulkova = O. Rochus ..Very small but good.

Madd666
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Mauresmo = Gasquet
Safina = Marat
Henin = Federer
Jankovic = Murray
Dementieva = Gonzalez
Serena = Barry Bonds/Marion Jones :tape:
Venus = Nalbandian
Maria = Roddick

Marshmallow
Sep 11th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I am sorry but Federer and Henin are not alike :tape: . Henin is more aggresive (I think) and attack minded than he is. She is a good shot-maker so I think she is more like Gasquet although she is not a headcase.

Cosign. Henin and Gasquet are a better match IMO, stylistically.

Kworb
Sep 11th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Henin/Federer: Both GOAT, both unrivaled variety and skill
Dementieva/Tursunov: Both HOT :drool:
Ivanovic/Djokovic: Both cheaters with inflated rankings and arrogant families
De Brito/Nadal: Both make an annoying sound when hitting the ball
Kuznetsova/Murray: Both very unattractive but can play brilliant tennis

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Lindsay-Agassi
Clean hitters and make the shots looks easy. Can handle power very well. Best returners of the game.

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Federer-Henin
Linday-Agassi or Safin
Serena-Djokovic maybe, though i would say Serena has power in her game in WTA than Nole in ATP.

Davodus
Sep 12th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Henin/Federer: Both GOAT, both unrivaled variety and skill
De Brito/Nadal: Both make an annoying sound when hitting the ball
Kuznetsova/Murray: Both very unattractive but can play brilliant tennis

how is ana's family arrogant :confused::confused:

Tennisstar86
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:52 AM
how is ana's family arrogant :confused::confused:

well her mother sure has a big stick up her ass thats for sure.....

Tennisstar86
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:56 AM

Roddick has no backhand.....His forehand is his better shot. Venus' backhand is her better shot.

Venus is the best mover on tour. Roddick is not.

Venus has great volleys. Roddick does not. he requires the perfect set up to volley well..

Venus has just now FINALLY gotten an OK second serve. Roddick has a "second/ first serve" that he repeatedly throws in.

The only this that they are even on is they both have the "biggest" serves on both tours.

frontier
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:55 PM
well her mother sure has a big stick up her ass thats for sure.....Ana s mom looks very sophisticated and classy...nothing trailer trashy about this woman:tape:

sammy01
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:59 PM
well her mother sure has a big stick up her ass thats for sure.....

she does look stuck up, but i've never heard her speak so cant realy tell if she is a prude or not?

dybbuk
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM
she does look stuck up, but i've never heard her speak so cant realy tell if she is a prude or not?

Dragana and basically Ana's entire family avoid the media, I can't remember any of them ever giving interviews before. They can't be compared to Djokovic's family who thrust themselves into the spotlight.

yassiesj20
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Mauresmo = Gasquet
Safina = Marat
Henin = Federer
Jankovic = Murray
Dementieva = Gonzalez
Serena = Barry Bonds/Marion Jones :tape:
Venus = Nalbandian
Maria = Roddick

WTF?! Grow Up.

The Witch-king
Jun 11th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Safina is Del Potro. Beat up on the lower ranked players but completely useless against the best. Plus are ball bashers who can't run.
Kuznetsova is Nalbandian. Talented chokers who look alike.

Based on looks alone- Andreas Beck = Daniela Hantuchova

Melzer + some British guy called Ward = azarenka

The Witch-king
Jun 11th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Also Mauresmo is Ljubicic.

The Witch-king
Jun 11th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Dementieva + Zvonareva = Davydenko
Venus = Blake

Horizon
Jun 11th, 2009, 01:52 AM

I'm not sure which is more delusional :spit:

Sharakim
Jun 11th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Roger Federer = Steffi Graf
Both were dominant in the sport for a long time, both have fearsome forehands, both won all four majors, both tend to let their actions speak louder than their words.

Ivan Lendl = Martina Navratilova
Lendl and Navratilova are both from the Czech Republic, and ironically they both defected to the USA later on in their careers. They were both credited for their pioneer work in using fitness and weight training as methods to win grand slams. Both were tireless workers who dominated the sport in the 80s.

Marat Safin = Dinara Safina
Like brother...like sister. Two russians from the same family, and two very talented tennis players. However, both have the reputation of choking away important matches. For Safin it took him five years to win his second major, for Safina she hasn't even gotten on the board in three trys.

Rafael Nadal = Monica Seles
Both Seles and Nadal dominated on clay. Seles won Roland Garros three straight times from 1990-1992, and Nadal won the title from 2005-2008. Ironically, Seles also won the first four Aussie Opens she played. Like Nadal, Seles was a teenage prodigy who won with tireless speed, grit, and fearsome willpower. Both are known for their abilitys to grind opponents to dust on the red clay, and both served as the foil to the greatest player of their generation (Federer and Nadal, Graf and Seles).

Uranium
Jun 11th, 2009, 03:22 AM

The only similarities are that they are Americans with big serves, other than that they have nothing in common tennis styles wise.

Midnight_Robber
Jun 11th, 2009, 04:10 AM
To whoever compared Blake and Venus - no way. Reminds me of when people used to try and compare Andy and Venus because of the serve. At best, Blakes bh is decent whereas Vee's backhand was her trademark shot. He's a good mover but Vee is one of the best movers, if not the best on the women's side. He's simply not in terms of the men. Vee's got a much better net game than him. She's not a fiery comepetitor but still has far more fire and grit than Blake does. :eyeroll:

Marat-Venus: Both have slam pedigree. Both have fantastic backhand down-the-lines. Both play power tennis yet volley well at the net and can demonstrate touch when need be.

Both can hit an insane number of winners, and an even worse number of errors. :o

Both are talented underachievers (although Marat moreso), and both have issues with handling pressure. Marat explodes, let's it all hang out and mentally beats himself up - Venus implodes, bottles it up but tends to mentally berate herself as well. They also get very tight on critical points.

Both are very tall and injury prone, and both have a nasty track record of losing to obscure players they both have no business losing to. Both will lose matches that they should have won.

Serena-Nadal: Early Serena had great court coverage and speed. She can hit with a lot of top spin, and when she's on Serena can keep her UFE count incredibly low while cranking out the winners. Both love angles and have brilliant passing shots. Both are fearless, never-say-die competitors, with the stare-down of death. Both are unconventional fashionistas :lol: Both play an aggressive style of tennis that wears on the knees...

ETA: I agree that though that Seles-Nadal is an excellent comparison.

Kuz-Nalbandian - Both seem so likeable and both are very, very talented headcases who underperform but have great shots off both wings and well-rounded games. Both can play at the net but tend to hang back. Nalbandian distinguishes himself from Kuz though in not winning any slams and in failing to keep fit.
:help:

WTA Players Male Equivalents - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
Hingis-Federer: Both have silky, all-court play though Hingis doesn't have Federer's great serve or forehand power. But they can both play cat-and-mouse, varied tennis and make their opponents look foolish. Both have great drop-shots. Both faced mediocre competitors but Nadal came along later in Federer's career, while Hingis was besieged by talented power players WS, Dav and Capriati before she could extend her slam run.

Henin - Gasquet: Dimunitive but with power. Their backhand even down the the way in which they produce the stroke.

southern star
Jun 11th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Did we pick Brie's male equivalent yet?

Optima
Jun 11th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Safina is Del Potro.

Nope.

Kuzzy Owns Me
Jun 11th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Safina = Murray: deliver anywhere but at Slams
Ivanovic = Djokovic: Serbian one slam wonders
S. Williams = Nadal: powerful, gutsy
Federer = Henin: elegant, dominant
Kuzzi¨= Safin: talented Russian headcases with Slams

Sally Todd
Jun 11th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Both Hingis and Wilander were extremely smart, cunning players who loved cocaine. :sobbing:

:spit: Now we're talking.

Look at it this way. At least Hingis was cunning. Can't say that for Gasquet. :tape:

Serena is a lot like Federer in terms of champion ego (good and bad) and best accomplishment of a generation, and like Nadal in terms of never-say-die fighting spirit and Booty from God.

I can see the Amelie-Ljubicic comparison in terms of a lot of their shots: serve, forehand, and backhand. That's a good, unexpected likeliness.

Chris CHorse: Santoro and Niculescu?

Definitely see the Graf=Federer and Seles=Nadal comparisons. And Lindsay=Safin: both clean ball strikers with big games who lacked a killer instinct.

Andrea Paredes is like who she was before she was Andrea Paredes. Renee Richards played a lot like Richard Raskind.

LMAO at the Henin=Tour De France comparison.

Kuzzy Owns Me
Jun 11th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Graf = Laver
the TRUE GOATs of Tennis ;)

The Witch-king
Jun 11th, 2009, 12:10 PM
TO THE PERSON WHO CRIticised ME FOR COMPARING Blake To VENUS (midnight soccer)- well i didn't specifically mean their game, but rather their quiet disposition on court. They have the same expression winning or losing. Plus they are both explosive players who excell on fast surfaces.

Oh yeah and FINALLY- Andrea Paredes = Feliciano Lopez !

Dandy_Warhol
Jun 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Henin = Federer
S. Williams = Nadal

Beat
Jun 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I say
Serena- no one
Venus- no one
Jelena- Djokovic :p
I can not think of anymore.

wow, you really tried hard there :yeah: :tape:

Beat
Jun 11th, 2009, 03:58 PM
oh and i always thought daiela hantuchova and florian mayer (remember him?) had similar styles.

BartoliBabes
Jun 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Bartoli/Santoro - would have been a great doubles pair!!

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 11th, 2009, 04:15 PM
So Serena = Nadal + Federer :eek:

Kuzzy Owns Me
Jun 11th, 2009, 05:17 PM
no, Serena doesn't have an elegant game :shrug:
Powerful and effective? yeah, but elegant? no

when I see Federer play the first words that come to mind are graceful and effortless, and of the last generation of players, maybe only Henin can be called that :shrug:

debopero
Jun 11th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I guess I kind of agree with the Fed-Nadal Henin-Serena thing. >:(

Dominic
Jun 11th, 2009, 06:17 PM
To whoever compared Blake and Venus - no way. Reminds me of when people used to try and compare Andy and Venus because of the serve. At best, Blakes bh is decent whereas Vee's backhand was her trademark shot. He's a good mover but Vee is one of the best movers, if not the best on the women's side. He's simply not in terms of the men. Vee's got a much better net game than him. She's not a fiery comepetitor but still has far more fire and grit than Blake does. :eyeroll:

I disagree, the only thing that I think is right in your comparison is the fact that Blake's backhand is his weaker shot and Venus's backhand is good (her fh and bh are pretty much equal nowadays). Blake is definately one of the great movers on the ATP. In terms of pure speed I would put him in the top 5. and Venus doesnt have more grit and fire than Blake I dont know how you got that really. Also, they are similar because both can have insane power, especially on the forehand and hit brilliant winners from the baseline, but can also have moments where they hit loads of unforced errors and self-destruct. And both tend to underachieve.

Kuzzy Owns Me
Jun 11th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Blake has never been a real slam factor, while Venus has won quite a few, that alone serves to put them in different leagues :shrug:

Midnight_Robber
Jun 12th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I disagree, the only thing that I think is right in your comparison is the fact that Blake's backhand is his weaker shot and Venus's backhand is good (her fh and bh are pretty much equal nowadays). Blake is definately one of the great movers on the ATP. In terms of pure speed I would put him in the top 5. and Venus doesnt have more grit and fire than Blake I dont know how you got that really. Also, they are similar because both can have insane power, especially on the forehand and hit brilliant winners from the baseline, but can also have moments where they hit loads of unforced errors and self-destruct. And both tend to underachieve.

Okay...Blake being in the 'top five' movers of the ATP? Is not the equivalent of someone who has topped lists for the being the fastest mover in the women's game EVER. There's a bit of a chasm there.

And uh...did you see how she trailed Lindsay and then she saved matchpoint at Wimbledon against Lindsay in '05 and never gave up? Or came back from the brink of defeat against Hingis at the USO '00? Those are historic matches, and that's 'where I get it from.' I don't know where you get the idea that James Blake can even fight as well as Venus can, given his results... It's such a fake equivalence. (Or maybe you really love Blake? :shrug:) :confused:

Point me towards an equivalent big match that Blake has played where his mettle was tested and he pulled through. Seriously, what big wins does James Blake have that suggests that he has any fire whatsoever?

To be an 'underachiever' (as opposed to a non-achiever), you have to actually achieve something in the first place...

Natalicious
Jun 12th, 2009, 09:59 AM
amelie/santoro

i don't know why, they just remind me of each other

The Witch-king
Jun 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Oh yeah I meant to say the guys that looks like Azarenka is Jarko Niemenen and James Ward.

Steadyniacki
Jun 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Bartoli/Santoro - would have been a great doubles pair!!

I agree that would be fun to watch :)

Renalicious
Jun 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I definitely see Serena and Nadal being similar. Both have amazing will, strength and mental toughness and will do whatever it takes to win, even if it means running yourself ragged and waiting for an error from the opponent. However their games are a bit different.

rasko
Jun 12th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Ivanovic ~ Tsonga

Great forehands, both tend to play too aggressive, trying to hit winners all the time thus they make too many UEs, but when they are on - it's scary. They have no plan B when plan A doesn't work. Both have two handed backhands. Many tennis fans find their on court behaviour/antics annoying (I don't:p).And they both wear adidas. :)

InsideOut.
Jun 12th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Ivanovic ~ Tsonga

Great forehands, both tend to play too aggressive, trying to hit winners all the time thus they make too many UEs, but when they are on - it's scary. They have no plan B when plan A doesn't work. Both have two handed backhands. Many tennis fans find their on court behaviour/antics annoying (I don't:p).And they both wear adidas. :)

Both have good touch at the net. I've been stating this comparison for a while. :)

DokicForever
Jun 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
i always kind of thought Amelie reminded me of Federer

rasko
Jun 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Both have good touch at the net. I've been stating this comparison for a while. :)
Sorry - I didn't know. I just read last 2-3 pages of this thread.

Another one probably already made is Jankovic ~ Djokovic.

Both have great two-handed backhands, especially backhand down the line (probably the best on WTA/ATP). Both are accused for overusing of injury timeouts. They both like to slide on all kinds of courts and make silly public statements regularly.:)

InsideOut.
Jun 12th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Sorry - I didn't know. I just read last 2-3 pages of this thread.

Another one probably already made is Jankovic ~ Djokovic.

Both have great two-handed backhands, especially backhand down the line (probably the beast on WTA/ATP). Both are accused for overusing of injury timeouts. They both like to slide on all kinds of courts and make silly public statements regularly.:)

Not to mention both being pretty hopeless on grass. :tape:

rasko
Jun 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Not to mention both being pretty hopeless on grass. :tape:

:lol: You are right.

Dini.
Jun 12th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Juju - Fed. :awww:

Stamp Paid
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Serena and Marat Safin
Great forehand, sickening backhand