PDA

View Full Version : Which Serena´s grand slam victory was the best for you: AO 2007 or US Open 2008?

danieln1
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:51 PM
In Australia last year, Serena was out of shape and beat everyone, trashing Maria in that final, her speech was the most emotional, and she needed that victory very much
Now at this year´s US Open, she defeated her sister in a anticipated final, and cheered very much winning that match point, but her speech wasn´t that emotional
Which one do you like best??

Dawson.
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:55 PM
aussie open simply because she won it out of nowhere, whereas she was the favorite to win this us open from the start.

spartanfan
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:00 AM
2007 AO. I have not seen her play like that since that final match. If she played like she did in that match she'd be unstoppable.

frontier
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I think AO07 was most enjoyable because it was against all odds....she was fighting herself the hostile media and a pocket of bitter jealous players namely Petrova and Jelena..

danieln1
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I think AO07 was most enjoyable because it was against all odds....she was fighting herself the hostile media and a pocket of bitter jealous players namely Petrova and Jelena..

I remember that, they said she was out of form, and if it would come to a third set her lack of fitness would show that... but they were wrong I think!

supergrunt
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Ao 2007 was magical :hearts:

Marshmallow
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Hard to say. AO 07 was basically Serena sitting down how critics. The comeback against Petrova, who at one point looked so confident that she had time to apply hair spray during the match, beating Jelena quite comfortably and then Annahilating Sharapova like she did in the final. All while her movement wasn't good at all.

But I'm gonna take the USO 2008. The AO 2007 was unexpected but that worked to Serena's advantage, no pressure and extra motivation to prove people wrong. This time, she had to deal with the pressure of having people expecting her to win. After all the disappointment she's had this year and last year, she had to be extremely mentally tough, something that was looking vulnerable. Because I think this slam was tougher to win, especially having to take out perhaps her toughest opponents Venus and Jankovic who were playing pretty well... USO 2008. I also feel this is the turning point, I can feel a dominant streak.

Marshmallow
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:29 AM
So far I'm the only person who thinks USO 2008 :lol:

Pureracket
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Marhmallow,
Stop trying to appear "different," by going against the grain. You're such a WS fan....LOL!

Vlover
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:51 AM
For me 07 AO. It was as if it was Serena vs the world. She just took the wind out of all her detractors and left them speechless and amazed. OMG she brought the most hyped and soon #1 to tears. Both this victory and Venus'05 Wimbledon are the two I love the most.:worship:

Marshmallow
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Marhmallow,
Stop trying to appear "different," by going against the grain. You're such a WS fan....LOL!

Who's Marhmallow? :p

If you mean me :lol: I voted after writing my post, honest.

RenaSlam.
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:03 AM
The same for different reasons.

Bounty Hunter
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:05 AM
All 9 of them. I'm greedy, I want her win them all... :lol:

Hardiansf
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:16 AM
2007 AO. I have not seen her play like that since that final match. If she played like she did in that match she'd be unstoppable.

Agreed. Serena at her best (in the final, I mean) :worship:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:36 AM
AO 07, her declaration that she was still a force to be reckoned with, and the way she came out swinging against Maria and Jelena like they had stolen her favorite D.G. shades.

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:50 AM
her very first US Oopen against hingis.

otherwise between the two choices, i would have to say the 2007 aussie Open where she kicked Maria's ass. :worship:

Black Mamba.
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:40 AM
AO 2007 because that was the introduction of what I call "Angry Serena".

miss_molik
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:44 AM
AO 07 was amazing

woosey
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:39 AM
aussie 07 because she put a polishing on pova's behind.

and it was completely in the face of the haterz.

SAEKeithSerena
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:50 AM
aus open

but this one has a lot of good meaning too, especially with her reclaiming the number 1 position.

LudwigDvorak
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM
USO '08. I've never cared for the Australian Open, and it was great to see her win a slam outside Australia after SO long. Her final three wins in New York were also better than her final three wins in Melbourne, too.

Her reaction was also much better a few nights ago. :hearts:

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:29 AM
AO 05!:worship:

Sam L
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Aussie '07.

Beat Fearless Nadia. :drool:
Whipped Pova. :eek:

Serval
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Oz 07 of course!

Dave.
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM
AO 07 was a truly remarkable sight. She totally transformed those two weeks and was visibly fitter at the end of it. The final was one of the most devastating displays ever. Her USO 08, however, was harder for her to win because there was more pressure on her and she played better opponents. In Australia there was nobody mentally tough enough to finish her off. Both are impressive victories but I voted for AO 07 because of that final.

I think Serena has had better grand slam runs than these two though. Her USO 99 was perhaps the hardest draw to come through at a slam in years, and it's even more remarkable considering it was all new to her then (her first SF and Final).

bandabou
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
'07 oz open. That's the shut up the haterz slam. Never witnessed such a prove them wrong major before.

Galsen
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM
AO 2007 'cause USO 2008 was expected

Noctis
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM
A0 7 For sure

LUXXXAS
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
AO! she proved she can beat everyone even when she's fat :yeah:
I'm nterested what's the Serena's opinion about her best slam victory...

bandabou
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
AO 07 was a truly remarkable sight. She totally transformed those two weeks and was visibly fitter at the end of it. The final was one of the most devastating displays ever. Her USO 08, however, was harder for her to win because there was more pressure on her and she played better opponents. In Australia there was nobody mentally tough enough to finish her off. Both are impressive victories but I voted for AO 07 because of that final.

I think Serena has had better grand slam runs than these two though. Her USO 99 was perhaps the hardest draw to come through at a slam in years, and it's even more remarkable considering it was all new to her then (her first SF and Final).

Yeah that '99 u.s.open was impressive for a first major.

Demska
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Neither.

frontier
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:53 AM
AO07 was like... IN YOUR FACE..GRANDMA:explode:

new-york
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
USO08.

It rewards a year of solid play, consistency, work and pretty good health.
Logically, the n1 rank follows.

It tells much more on the long term and is way more positive than that explosive win at the Australian last year, even though it was so explosive.

Beny
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:06 PM
USO 08 is nothing compared to AO 07-that was incredible :yeah:

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
This year's USO.

It was the culmination of almost a whole year of playing consistent top 5 tennis, and putting in the work, week in and out.

The AO was a GREAT surprise (especially both of those "back from the brink" wins over Petrova and Peer), but I would have been FAR more disappointed if she lost this USO as opposed to last year's AO.

Mightymirza
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Of course AO 07..:lol: this year she had some very good results..Just dint do that well at FO and AO..You could sense it was coming though..Plus IMO the final against pova is the best I have seen serena play!

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Ao 2007, The final just shows in form serena cant be beaten..

Galsen
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
that's true maybe we also should add Miami in GS and Serena will crush again Maria 6-1 6-1

Bijoux0021
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hard to say. AO 07 was basically Serena sitting down how critics. The comeback against Petrova, who at one point looked so confident that she had time to apply hair spray during the match, beating Jelena quite comfortably and then Annahilating Sharapova like she did in the final. All while her movement wasn't good at all.

But I'm gonna take the USO 2008. The AO 2007 was unexpected but that worked to Serena's advantage, no pressure and extra motivation to prove people wrong. This time, she had to deal with the pressure of having people expecting her to win. After all the disappointment she's had this year and last year, she had to be extremely mentally tough, something that was looking vulnerable. Because I think this slam was tougher to win, especially having to take out perhaps her toughest opponents Venus and Jankovic who were playing pretty well... USO 2008. I also feel this is the turning point, I can feel a dominant streak.
:worship::worship::worship:

Great post!

WOW! It seems like you and I think alike 95% of the time. We need to stop that. :lol:

Before I even read your post, I was thinking the very same thing, so there's nothing more for me to add. And I couldn't have said it any better than this. You've said it all.

So, no, you're not the only one who thinks U.S. Open 2008 was the best.

Bijoux0021
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:43 PM
This year's USO.

It was the culmination of almost a whole year of playing consistent top 5 tennis, and putting in the work, week in and out.

The AO was a GREAT surprise (especially both of those "back from the brink" wins over Petrova and Peer), but I would have been FAR more disappointed if she lost this USO as opposed to last year's AO.
Same here.

Destiny
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Aussie

:worship:

Thkmra
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM
AO 05!:worship:

:lol::lol: Did she really say that about Poor Mary? :tape:

AnywhereButHome
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Us open 2008

heartBREAKeRS
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
AO 07 - I can't put words on how happy I was!

serenafan08
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Hey everybody! :wavey:

Haha I've been away for quite sometime, y'all prolly don't even remember me! I don't get on here much as I'm busy with school and work, but I still stop in and read every once in a while. I'll try to post more often now.

So, to answer the question, I think this year's US Open was the best for me. I LOVED her run in Melbourne last year, but this time around it was different. She had to play better opponents at the US Open, and the fact that she didn't drop a set to any of them was incredible. That match with Venus was just unbelievable. I truly feel this time that she's returning to the top for good. Venus is soon to follow; Serena was the only one that was going to beat her at this tournament I think. Think of who she beat - her sister, Safina - who was the hottest player coming into the tournament, and then Jankovic - the number two player in the world. The fact that she regained the #1 ranking is just icing on the cake, and shows that hard work and dedication really do pay off.

Rocketta
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I understand the importance of this US 08 for the future success of Serena but that AO 07 was just the most fun for me as a fan because every match that she won, you could just see how foolish the commentators looked and acted. :lol:

Serenita
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:46 PM
AO 07 sweet trashing of pova!

danieln1
Sep 11th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Australia is winning by far, couldn´t agree more

améliemomo
Sep 11th, 2008, 01:32 AM
The same for me.

In both henin was not playing.

bandabou
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:44 AM
The same for me.

But Momo was...

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:51 AM
AO, because it was so unexpected and it exposed so many haters and because it served as a reminder of her amazing gifts.

frontier
Sep 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM
anybody remember Pat Cash...how disrespectful he was,Carillo the brothers Mcenroe and Ted Robinson,Jelena,Petrova and the world media...when she beat JJ,Petrova and then pova I was so happy that she beat all her detractors..thats what makes this title special

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:18 PM
i lived every minute of every match at the AO last year...that was what inspired her to continue working :D

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:18 PM
anybody remember Pat Cash...how disrespectful he was,Carillo the brothers Mcenroe and Ted Robinson,Jelena,Petrova and the world media...when she beat JJ,Petrova and then pova I was so happy that she beat all her detractors..thats what makes this title special

oh that was sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!! don't forget ms austin!!!

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM

i came across that article yesterday and wonder if he ever apologized. :lol:

shirley
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Australian Open in 2007 because no-one expected Serena to win and she showed them all (me included) :)

colt13
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Not much new to add, but 07 is it because of the Petrova, Peer and Sharapova matches. Once she got to the final, i knew she would win, but Petrova had her beat and Peer was close.

frontier
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Hard to believe now ....

Just what a tough match Shahar Peer gave Rena in the AO quarter-finals.

That girl has gone backwards since .... big-time.I REMEMBER THIS MATCH WHEN SHAHAR WAS SERVING FOR THE MATCH AND HER FANS WERE GOING CRAZY ONLY TO BE BROKEN AND ULTIMATELY LOSING THE MATCH...THATS THE CLUTCH PLAYER WE ALWAYS TALK ABOUT.tHEY TRIED TO PIT HER AGAINST SERENA IN MIAMI THATS WHEN HER SPIRIT WAS BROKEN AND SHE NEVER RECOVERED...

Calypso
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:28 PM
2007 A.O, without a doubt.Very exciting the way she came out of no where to battle into the final and totally destroy Maria.

vswfan
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
AO 07 Serena sets lots of records
and it was for sure the career saving tournament for her

maddogz48
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:40 AM
That AO 2007 Final showcased Serena at her best. I love that match.

Sharapova didn't see that such a brutal beating was about to go down. :)

Timariot
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I can't believe so many people voted for AO2007. She was in terrible shape back then, really overweight and lumbering around the court. Sure, she displayed considerable clutch in that tournament (particularly in the finals, helped by Sharapova's dumb play) but play quality-wise, USO 2008 was miles ahead.

Vlover
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I understand the importance of this US 08 for the future success of Serena but that AO 07 was just the most fun for me as a fan because every match that she won, you could just see how foolish the commentators looked and acted. :lol:

To date this is my favorite and most satisfying victory of the Sisters. What a ass kicking final that was! Loved every moment of it. Every hater got kicked in the gut especially those who were worshiping Maria.:bounce: At the end they all didn't know what to say or do with themselves.:lol: Totally loved it!

danieln1
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:44 AM
The same for me.

In both of them Serena would have trashed the cheater, like she did in Miami, Henin would NEVER beat Serena in those slams

Uranium
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:48 AM
AO 2007 was amazing to watch, while USO 2008 was nothing spectacular:shrug:

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Oz 07..for sure her grittiest victory in a major.

hankqq
Sep 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Tough choice for me, as I loved both victories. The USO win confirmed that she's the best player, but I prefer the AO win because she shut up the critics. The way she fought back in some matches and dominated in others was just :inlove: :hearts:

SAEKeithSerena
Sep 30th, 2008, 05:09 PM
australian open was a surprise.

at least we thought serena had some kind of chance this year.

both great, but the ao was spectacular.

harloo
Sep 30th, 2008, 05:31 PM
This is tough because I loved her 2007 AO victory, but the 08 US Open final was the best match in a grand slam we've seen in a long time.

Ciarán
Sep 30th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Ao 07

danieln1
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I´m glad that Australian is winning!

doni1212
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm about to watch the AO 07 Final again, :drool: :devil:
Sharapova thought she had a chance in the beginning, :rolls:

Nemo_Kool
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:06 PM
ao07 was amazing and against all odds whereas the us open was the release of nearly 2 years of grand slam frustration...i dunno which one i prefer...i suppose AO07 will always be remembered as the 'special' one.

TSequoia01
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Wimbledon 02, that was Serena at her very best. What she did to Mauresmo was beyond words. Serena was the best player who had ever been that day.

shaktincredible
Oct 1st, 2008, 02:16 AM
I'm about to watch the AO 07 Final again, :drool: :devil:
Sharapova thought she had a chance in the beginning, :rolls:

yeah.. all of us always happy to watch sharapova in the final.. whether win or lose..
whether wimbledon 2004 or australia open 2007 :drool:

doni1212
Oct 1st, 2008, 02:36 AM
yeah.. all of us always happy to watch sharapova in the final.. whether win or lose..
whether wimbledon 2004 or australia open 2007 :drool:

Yeah, I'm sure you watch AO 07 non-stop, :rolleyes:
You know, to see those 12 points she won, :rolls:

shaktincredible
Oct 1st, 2008, 02:56 AM

no,you're wrong. from the statistic, it's 33 points. 12 winners by sharapova and 11 unforced errors by williams :drool:

HRHoliviasmith
Oct 1st, 2008, 04:17 AM

:lol:

i have only seen that 04 wimbledon once. too painful to relive. :sad:

i'm getting ready to watch the 07 and 05 aussie right now :bounce:

Harvs
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:02 AM
07 was ridiculous... i still dont know how she won it.. amazing

Watching
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:07 AM
Wimbledon 02, that was Serena at her very best. What she did to Mauresmo was beyond words. Serena was the best player who had ever been that day.

I have heard so much about this match I NEEED to see it please someone upload it if you have it!