PDA

View Full Version : The Williams Sisters

Babolatpro880
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:20 PM
OK, before people start rolling their eyes and whatever else over this, I'm not trying to plug the Williams, they aren't even my favorite players. I just got thinking about something Tracy Austin said during the Open- how though many have criticized them over having outside interests other than tennis, Venus and Serena might be the ones who "got it right." So I want to look at where all the Grand Slam champs since Serena first won in 1999 are now.

1999 US Open- Serena Williams

2000 Australian Open- Lindsay Davenport
2000 French Open- Mary Pierce
2000 Wimbledon- Venus Williams
2000 US Open- Venus Williams

2001 Australian Open- Jennifer Capriati
2001 French Open- Jennifer Capriati
2001 Wimbledon- Venus Williams
2001 US Open- Venus Williams

2002 Australian Open- Jennifer Capriati
2002 French Open- Serena Williams
2002 Wimbledon- Serena Williams
2002 US Open- Serena Williams

2003 Australian Open- Serena Williams
2003 French Open- Justine Henin
2003 Wimbledon- Serena Williams
2003 US Open- Justine Henin

2004 Australian Open- Justine Henin
2004 French Open- Anastasia Myskina
2004 Wimbledon- Maria Sharapova
2004 US Open- Svetlana Kuznetsova

2005 Australian Open- Serena Williams
2005 French Open- Justine Henin
2005 Wimbledon- Venus Williams
2005 US Open- Kim Clijsters

2006 Australian Open- Amelie Mauresmo
2006 French Open- Justine Henin
2006 Wimbledon- Amelie Mauresmo
2006 US Open- Maria Sharapova

2007 Australian Open- Serena Williams
2007 French Open- Justine Henin
2007 Wimbledon- Venus Williams
2007 US Open- Justine Henin

2008 Australian Open- Maria Sharapova
2008 French Open- Ana Ivanovic
2008 Wimbledon- Venus Williams
2008 US Open- Serena Williams

Williams in italics, active players in bold.

Obviously Sharapova is injured right now and is young so you can't really compare, and Ivanovic is still relatively in the early stages of her career. Look at the remainder of the players in bold, though.

Davenport obviously had a baby, but has struggled for form this year really.
Mauresmo has been struggling as well, due to some nagging injuries.
Kuznetsova had been at the top for much of last year, but slid down to number 7 or 8 after the US Open, but again, she is still relatively young.

All in all, it's surprising to see how many (or how few) players are still around that won slams during the time that Serena and Venus have. I dunno, I just thought it was kind of interesting.

Pureracket
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM
That is interesting. Thanks for the thread/post.

Spartan
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:57 PM
To be fair, several of the players who won slams at the same time as the Williams' (Davenport, Pierce, Capriati) have more or less retired, and you can add Justine and Kim to that list. But I agree that outside interests have helped Vee/Ree prolong their careers. It's easier on the body if you're not playing so many tournaments a year and taking time to pursue other interests stops you getting tired mentally apart from anything else.
They're not my favourite players either, but I have so much respect for what they've done. :worship::worship::worship:

Pureracket
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:01 AM
They've also outlasted a few eras too:
Seles-Graf-ASV
Hingis-Kournikova
JenCap-Davenport
Clijsters-Henin
Maria Sharapova-Ivanovic(?)

supergrunt
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:14 AM
:rolleyes:

supergrunt
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:14 AM
haha that's what you said not to do :p

VS Fan
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I think the most interesting thing from these stats is that with the exception of 2004 and 2006, Team Williams has captured at least TWO of the slams in each year after 1999.
That would be Two or more (Sererna 2002 (3)) slams in SEVEN of the last NINE years. Also played each other in Slam finals SEVEN times. Not too shabby!

AcesHigh
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM
That's nice...and it's great to see their longetivity after so many times they've been called finished.

Anyway, the criticism was never appropriate for Venus. She returned pretty soon after her abdominal injury and has played a lot of events.. she just hasn't been good enough. It's not like she got fat.. she just got.. well, worse?

The criticism for Serena I think was that she could have been so much better and achieved so much more. The questioning of her fitness level was appropriate and to go from winning 5out of6 in two years to winning 3 slams in four years is probably a little disappointing or going from dominating #1 to not reaching #1 until the field is completely depleted 4 years later... I mean, it's not like critics had no basis for what they were saying. She's still one of the greatest, but now it's impossible for her to touch Evert, Graf, Navratilova, etc.

That being said, Justine and Kim are gone and Serena's still here to collect slams.

sammy01
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:39 AM
mary pierce, jenifer capriati and lindsay davenport all had full length careers its just the williams sisters dominance came when they were neasr the end off their respective careers. myskina was forced out of the game by injuries, so realy the only 2 players who've 'quit' tennis are kim and justine. kim wanted a baby, which is fair enough and justine lost her fight for the game.

J.Bravo
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:55 AM
These stats also put in perspective American domination in the slams from Wimbledon 2000- Australian Open 2003 is amazing. If Pierce never defected (Parents) it would have been USO 99-Australian 2003.:worship:

RenaSlam.
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Step to their outside interests.

sammy01
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:09 AM
These stats also put in perspective American domination in the slams from Wimbledon 2000- Australian Open 2003 is amazing. If Pierce never defected (Parents) it would have been USO 99-Australian 2003.:worship:

wasn't pierce canadian not american before she defected?

Dawn Marie
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:46 AM
What's also amazing is that the list of slams winners that are no longer here are about the same age group as Venus and Serena. I don't think it's no more then 6 years oldest to the youngest. Venus and Serena are winning slams even late in their careers. While many of these players were slugging it out and playing the game they weren't winning. Yet Vee and Rena kept on adding slams here and there. AMAZING!:)

VeeReeDavJCap81
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Not to take anything away from them but some of it can be attributed to their natural athletic abilties. They are gifted athletes a lot like Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant etc; They are able to be stronger, faster, and more nimble than their opponents without spending countless hours in the gym which can wear down the body over an extended period of time.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Not to take anything away from them but some of it can be attributed to their natural athletic abilties. They are gifted athletes a lot like Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant etc; They are able to be stronger, faster, and more nimble than their opponents without spending countless hours in the gym which can wear down the body over an extended period of time.