PDA

View Full Version : So what happened to Serena at 3 all in 2nd set?

Marty-Dom
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Does anybody have any insight into the fairly dramatic drop in her energy, level of play and attitude midway through second set? From 3:3 to 3:5, 0-40 she could barely get her serve in, or hit a decent return. She stopped moving well and looked totally absent-minded.
The British (or was it Australian?) commentators in the torrent I just downloaded thought she was injured.
Then, she slowly came back, fighting off 4 set points and finished the way she started.
Was it nerves- like in Australia or Miami this year where she went away for long stretches of play, or was it something else? She didn't show the same frustration, she didn't smash her racket, just quietly righted the ship. Is this a new Serena who worked on her mental agility or is this a sign of something more permanent that will haunt her in big matches for the rest of her career?

Miss Amor
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Some ankle problem I think

Olórin
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:38 PM
She was choking again.

Bijoux0021
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Does anybody have any insight into the fairly dramatic drop in her energy, level of play and attitude midway through second set? From 3:3 to 3:5, 0-40 she could barely get her serve in, or hit a decent return. She stopped moving well and looked totally absent-minded.
The British (or was it Australian?) commentators in the torrent I just downloaded thought she was injured.
Then, she slowly came back, fighting off 4 set points and finished the way she started.
Was it nerves- like in Australia or Miami this year where she went away for long stretches of play, or was it something else? She didn't show the same frustration, she didn't smash her racket, just quietly righted the ship. Is this a new Serena who worked on her mental agility or is this a sign of something more permanent that will haunt her in big matches for the rest of her career?
Yeah, it was so bizarre how all of a sudden she just stopped moving altogether, as if she had given up on the 2nd set for no particular reason. It did remind me of this year's AO and Miami. She completely went on a choke-mode. It was scary.

frontier
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:58 PM
She questioned a call and was arguing a little with the umpire,I guess she lost her focus at that point and lost the game...but composed herself after jj went up 5-3

LeRoy.
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:01 PM
It was very similar to what happened to her against Demetieva at Beijing up 6-3 4-2. Thankfully she regrouped this time to finish her opponent off.

ViennaCalling
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:02 PM
She won ... why it´s so important now? :help: :ignore:

Do you even have a life?

-Sonic-
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:07 PM
The British (or was it Australian?) commentators

:lol: :haha: :lol:

bandabou
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Serena's become sooo interesting to follow. She can come and go just like that. One minute she's cruising, then she's down 3-5 0-40, one minute later she's won four game on the throttle and is the new u.s.open champ. Amazing.

starin
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM
yeah that was weird. It looked like she might be injured or something but i guess not. maybe just got a little tight.

Zweli
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I also think she got really tight.

Bijoux0021
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM
She won ... why itīs so important now? :help: :ignore:

Do you even have a life?
Why did you bother to answer? Do you have a life?

ViennaCalling
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Why did you bother to answer? Do you have a life?

Because itīs pathetic :wavey:

Looking at me, discussing with some nerds - i have to say: No, i donīt seem to have a life at the moment ...

danieln1
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I was worried at that time, camera showed her right knee at one moment, thankfully it was nothing, just a lapse of concentration!

Bijoux0021
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Because itīs pathetic :wavey:

Looking at me, discussing with some nerds - i have to say: No, i donīt seem to have a life at the moment ...
Thanks for your honesty.

Lucemferre
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Same thing happened in Miami final this year. It's not easy to keep that level up. She had to attack all the time and it was almost guaranteed that her level would drop. Jankovic will always have a chance against big hitters because they will start missing at some point. When their level drops Janko comes back. That's her style.

At Miami after Serena lost her lead in the second set she basically tanked and gave the set with a double fault. Then re-focused and won the match. This time she again tried to lose the second set after blowing so many chances but Jelena refused to win :tape: so Serena got serious again, saved the last bp and won the game. That was the end for Jelena.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Personally I don't think anything very huge happened. Maybe Serena's form dipped 5 or 10%. Perhaps she lost a bit of concentration. I would say Jelena hit a good little run of form too. And at set point down, as she did against Venus, Serena just battened down the hatches and as in the case against Venus, she got a little help from her opponent too. But as for the run of games for Jelena during the match, I didn't see anything strange in that. It was a competitive match and it is pretty normal in a competitive match that momentum switches at times between the two players. It is not as if the final score was 6-0 0-6 6-0. Any shifts that took place in terms of the form and level of play of the two girls was very much within the realms of normalcy. Quite simply, although overall Serena was the better player and deserved her win there wasn't that much in it and in closely fought matches even slight dips in form can have a profound affect on the score.

V-MAC
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I would think she just got tight for a while as it seemed she completely stopped moving her feet. The little altercation with the umpire probably burst her bubble a bit and made her realise how close she was to winning as she was really in the zone up to that point.

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:36 AM
fatigue and pouting. :shrug:

She shook them both off like a champion.

Donatello
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:28 AM
She was trying to make the match "exciting" , like they both did (until that point) by just playing long interesting rallies. Hence her unessecarily making a point out of a clear call, and her getting her act together at 3-5...
Serena followers seem to forget how much of an actress she is... Roland Garros 3rd rnd defeat comes to mind... hitting single handed backhands against Justine at Wimbledon last year because of a hand injury (:rolleyes:). She is acting on court, which makes it seem real. Her ups and downs in noise production is a clear indication of this.

tennnisfannn
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I thought she panicked when she realised she might have blown the set, i figured she was trying to calm herself down, notice she did not start throwing rackets like she usually does when she is frustrated, it owrked.
If that had happened against Venus we would be calling for an inquiry!!

Volcana
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:38 PM
She got fatigued. They were playing long points. She got fatigued, then she realized that if she wanted to win, she had to push herself, and she did.