PDA

View Full Version : Kimiko Date : Unlikely Candidate for the Comeback Trail?

LH2HBH
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I saw a snippet in Tennis magazine last month about Kimiko Date making a comeback. The talented Japanese woman is 37 years old and has been off the tour for something like 12 years!! :eek:

I looked it up myself and she has been playing ITF all year and has just won three consecutive titles. She is now ranked #302. Does anyone on this board remember her???

The word on this street is that she does not have top 10 aspirations but simply wishes to get her rank high enough to compete in the Japanese National Championship.

Atlanta Olympics QF - Kimiko Date vs. Arantxa Sanchez Vicario (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uln2-_Tlf5k&feature=related)

Kimiko Date WTA Profile (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/Playerbio.asp?PlayerID=40130)

Kimiko Date WTA Activity 2008 (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerActivity.asp?PlayerID=40130)

sammy01
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:04 PM
she will be in the top 260 on monday when her latest challenger result is added. i think at the begining of her comeback her goal was the Japanese National Championship, but after doing so well and almost certain to finish the year in the top 200, her goals may have changed. shes playing the qualies of tokyo this week, so that will be a better indication of where shes at. but at this rate she should be able to crack the top 100 sometime next year if she travels around a bit.

shell
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Funny this popped up as last night on Tennis Channel they showed the Fed Cup match between Date and Graf that went 12-10 in the third. I had really forgotten about her, but she was a fighter. An ackward forhand, but effective.

Good to hear she is still playing.

LH2HBH
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Her groundstrokes are deceptively simple.

Sund7101
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I'm thrilled with her comeback, can't wait for this weekend!

Go Kimiko!!! :worship:

tonybotz
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM
tennis channel just showed date vs. graf from 96 fed cup... her groundstrokes are so compact, clean, and flat, that they really will never be date-d. ; )
if her mobility and health are still good enough, she could enjoy a very auspicious comeback.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:03 PM
tennis channel just showed date vs. graf from 96 fed cup... her groundstrokes are so compact, clean, and flat, that they really will never be date-d. ; )
if her mobility and health are still good enough, she could enjoy a very auspicious comeback.

Lets hope for the best :D:bounce:

drake3781
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah, some of us here have been waching her for the past few months now. She has won several ITFs already.

:hearts:

supergrunt
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:47 PM
They showed her on TTC yesterday. She was actually pretty good.

Sammm
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Why did she retire so young? I remember a match against Graf - at Wimbledon when I was very young - where she really had Steffi on the ropes. She was like Sugiyama but...even bouncier.

Kudos to her so far, At 37 and not having played for ten years... wow. looking forward to seeing what she can do in Tokyo.

Sammm
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Just watched the clip... A woman serve and volleying on a hard court. :eek: And that was only 12 years ago... it's kind of stange to watch. This
But I love Kimiko's groundies... so rythmic, like a metronome :lick:

tonybotz
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Sammm, I remember that match. date had been on a streak of losing the first set then getting hot for the next two. she had graf on the ropes for sure, but steffi was rescued when the match was delayed due to poor lighting. the next day steffi came out and won the set 6-3.

homogenius
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM
She had been impressive this year and I hope she'll play some big events on the tour next year.

Sammm
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Sammm, I remember that match. date had been on a streak of losing the first set then getting hot for the next two. she had graf on the ropes for sure, but steffi was rescued when the match was delayed due to poor lighting. the next day steffi came out and won the set 6-3.

Tonybotz :wavey: Glad somebody remember tennis before 2000 ;)
Steffi had a lot of luck at Wimbledon,didn't she :p Of course, she often created that luck for herself, the champion that she was, but she should have lost against Sabatini and Novotna and maybe Date... she really got let off the hook a few times.

Noctis
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Go Kimiko Its not too late my mums older than and you still hits pretty well :lol:

hankqq
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:19 PM
:cool: I hope she plays some bigger events next year. :yeah: I wanna see her against the top 100 girls.

:haha: wouldn't that be funny if she drew Larcher de Brito in an event? The age difference :haha:

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM

Yeah. That second set is one of the best sets of tennis I have ever seen. I was absolutely awestruck when I 1st saw it live on the TV. I am sure if the match wasn't called for darkness Kimiko would have finished Steffi off, she was in such an amazing groove.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:37 AM
:cool: I hope she plays some bigger events next year. :yeah: I wanna see her against the top 100 girls.

:haha: wouldn't that be funny if she drew Larcher de Brito in an event? The age difference :haha:

I would enjoy seeing Kimiko dismantle MLDB's game yes. I think Kimiko could drive MLDB into some serious temper tantrums too. Could be very amusing.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:37 AM

I would love to see that match :cool:. I hope Date also plans on playing some doubles . I am :drool: at the mouth thinking about some of the fun pair ups...Lindsay, Na Li, Ai, Jankovic..., :hearts:

Drake1980
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Kimiko rocks!!! Hope she gets back into Top 100 next year or plays the Slams anyway.

drake3781
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:10 AM
How about Indian Wells? It's a huge draw, so she might get in on ranking, either MD or probably Qualies!

And it's not too terribly far from Japan. Now that would be wonderful!!

Mateo Mathieu
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Why did she retire so young? I remember a match against Graf - at Wimbledon when I was very young - where she really had Steffi on the ropes. She was like Sugiyama but...even bouncier.

Kudos to her so far, At 37 and not having played for ten years... wow. looking forward to seeing what she can do in Tokyo.
Someone mentioned here that she didn't like the points system has changed after 1997. She can't play around 15 tournaments a year for some reason.