PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Repeat As The Year's Only Two-Time Major Winner At The YEC?

nabfunky
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:07 AM
so far, this is how 2008 has gone:

australian open: maria sharapova.
french open: ana ivanovic.
wimbledon: venus williams.
olympics: elena dementieva.
u.s. open: serena williams.

what's remarkable about this list is that not one player has won more than once.

will this trend be broken when the yec come around? and if so, who will it be?

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Well if you're considering the Olympics as a major, IW and Miami for SURE would be on that list, and both Ana Ivanovic and Serena Williams won BIG titles twice this year.

Volcana
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:40 AM
No one. The YEC isn't a major.

In college basketball, they have a term for the non-elite conferences that occassionally produce elite teams. 'Mid-majors'. That's what the Olympics and the YEC are. Miami too, given it's history. But they aren't slams, and several decades will have to pass before they are, if they ever are.

friendsita
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Venus will win the YEC

Tennisstar86
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:43 AM
umm. noone. the YEC isnt a major.... but I wouldnt be shocked if Safina won it?

kwilliams
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I hope Venus wins it but I think Serena will win it.

fufuqifuqishahah
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Jelena Jankovic

Tennisstar86
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I hope Venus wins it but I think Serena will win it.

who even says Venus will qualify/ let alone play. Honestly I dont think Venus will ever care to win the YEC.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 9th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Imagine if Jelena wins YEC, this year is going to be the most even years in the history.:eek: I think.:p

asiandude
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Dementieva fans trying to equate olympics to GS. Miami or YEC > olympics. If its really a major, they should award more points.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Dementieva fans trying to equate olympics to GS. Miami or YEC > olympics. If its really a major, they should award more points.

You can't measure everything in ranking points. Ranking points last for one year. An Olympic Gold medal is for life.

starred06
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
It'll be a good chance for Elena to win a match at the YEC since 2003.

starred06
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Will Venus even play the YEC? She doesn't like to go to the YEC it seems.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:56 AM
no one, yec isnt a major and olympics is definately not either...

GS > Yec > Miami > Olympics

frontier
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I think the winner will be someone who knows the tactics of winning this event,I think that person already knows themselves.:tape:

Kworb
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Good luck Elena. Finish 2008 as the only one with two huge titles. As Olympic Champion your achievements this year already have the most prestige.

:worship::worship::worship:

Renalicious
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM
:scared:

Dave.
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
It will be interesting and as ever, a very open field.

The Slams, YEC and Olympics are the biggest tournaments in tennis and all qualify as major titles. Miami is the biggest tournament after those.

frontier
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Elena Dementieva has never done well at this event,the only persons who has done well are Serena and pova they seem to know how to play this event.

nabfunky
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Elena Dementieva has never done well at this event,the only persons who has done well are Serena and pova they seem to know how to play this event.

the question is, will masha even play? :confused:

Sammm
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Elena D needs to win a match at this year's YEC before we start hoping she'll win the whole damn thing.
:haha: at the people who think Miami is more prestigious than Olympics. And I'm not just saying that as an Elena fan.

Olórin
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
It will be interesting and as ever, a very open field.

The Slams, YEC and Olympics are the biggest tournaments in tennis and all qualify as major titles. Miami is the biggest tournament after those.

There are four major titles in tennis. The Australian Open, The French Open, The Championships and the US Open. It has been this way for over 100 years and this is the way it will always be.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Miami is not the fifth slam or that important . Men's final is played to the best of 3 sets like Casablanca , Viña del Mar , etc . That shows clearly how important Miami is

Some of my faves have played both Finals , Miami and the Olympics Games , guess in what Final I was more nervous as fan about the match .

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Miami is not the fifth slam or that important . Men's final is played to the best of 3 sets like Casablanca , Viña del Mar , etc . That shows clearly how important Miami is

Some of my faves have played both Finals , Miami and the Olympics Games , guess in what Final I was more nervous as fan about the match .

best of 3 sets matches >> no tennis matches at all [as we all know tennis wasnt a part of olympics]

Dave.
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:38 PM
There are four major titles in tennis. The Australian Open, The French Open, The Championships and the US Open. It has been this way for over 100 years and this is the way it will always be.

Yeah I know the Grand Slams are the 4 most important tournaments in tennis. But after those, the Olympics and YEC are the most prestigous titles that can be won. Maybe they are not majors, but the Olympic and YEC champions still get status for winning them.

Olórin
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah I know the Grand Slams are the 4 most important tournaments in tennis. But after those, the Olympics and YEC are the most prestigous titles that can be won. Maybe they are not majors, but the Olympic and YEC champions still get status for winning them.

Yeah they are very important, but I don't think they're in same league as Grand Slams.

Hurley
Sep 9th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah they are very important, but I don't think they're in same league as Grand Slams.

Which is EXACTLY what he said. :weirdo:

Mikey B
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM
i think jj will win this year, she showed so much potential reaching her first final, and she doesnt get the lay off feeling of 'yes iv done it! now i can relax!' she's going to keep pushing until she wins something big, and i think it could start with the YEC..

its a shame the wta doesnt have a policy of GS winners qualify automatically, i dont think maria would play if she did qualify but its sad that her dominace on tour over 4 months doesnt get her to the YEC..

frontier
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I will boldly declare that the winner already knows themselves and they know how to win this event.....I will not make any predictions and spoil the surprise.

Ryan
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I think its....really open (lame but true!). Serena is the favorite to win IMO, followed by Jankovic and Safina based on current form. But, if I had to guess, I'd say Jankovic flames out early because she's tired and I don't think indoors favors her game. Ivanovic makes a "comeback" and is playing good tennis, qualifies for the Semi. Serena makes Semi. Venus doesn't play. The final Semi spot comes down to how the groups are done up. I'll say Safina gets it though, but if Radwanska qualifies I could see her causing an upset or two depending on her group and if players like Ivanovic/Safina/Kuznetsova are having a bad day.

Vamos.
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Nobody. We already have all the major winners this year.

That said, Serena will probably win the YEC.

Nicolás89
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:32 PM
no one, yec isnt a major and olympics is definately not either...

GS > Yec > Miami > Olympics

Sure. :lol:

frontier
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM
this event is all about strategy and some of the players dont know how to strategise at this event....its not all about winning all matches but also to conserve energy.....because some players win all their matches only to lose at the semis and some who manoevres the round robin lose a match here and there...

enchantrezz
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:08 AM
If Sharapova was playing I would say she wins coz she always have good results in that Qatar venue. Next to her will be JJ, Ana, Dinara.

supergrunt
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:19 AM
yeah no one won two majors but you get the feeling that Venus and Serena are the dominant players and could have beaten any of the other slam winners at any given time this year :shrug:

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:33 AM
YEC is not a major, nor is the Olympics.

Prestigious, yes. Major, no.